• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Spider Empire v1.81

This is my fast-strategy map "Spider Empire".

In this map you are a Brood Mother - a lord of a spider empire.
You can lay spider eggs which hatch into minor spiders.
There are different types of spiders.

War Spiders can fight against your opponents.
They can upgrade several times while fighting to become even more powerful.

Brood Spiders are able to lay additional eggs to further enlarge your army's size.
However, they are not able to attack and can't upgrade into bigger spiders.

Your Brood Mother is a heroic spider and can level up when killing spiders of your opponents.
It has got different attributes to skill so you are free to play your own style.
It is the commander of your empire and can build important structures to defend your base or to upgrade your empire.

There are Obelisks all over the map.
They increase your gold income if you capture them.
But once captured you have to defend them from other players who want to do the same ...

To win the game you have to overtake all empires of your opponents which is possible by killing the opponents Brood Mother.
They will then fight for your empire as a vasall.
If you overtake a lord who already got some vasalls you will overtake all of them, too.

• -AI to play against the computer.
    -Multiplayer and Singleplayer.
    -No losers just winners! =)
    -Many different Spiders to fight with and against.
    -Imported and custom stuff.
    -100% vJass scripts.

ingamemappreview.jpg

ingamebotsactive.jpg

ingamebotsafter40min.jpg

ingamebotsdownsight.jpg

ingamebots.jpg

ingamebotswin.jpg

ingamebasestandart.jpg

entiremap.jpg

ingamearmymovement.jpg

ingameemptybase.jpg

ingamefullbase.jpg

ingameminorarmy.jpg

ingamescouttower.jpg

loadingscreenk.jpg

mapcornersight.jpg

randombase.jpg

scouttower.jpg

• -Fixed a bug that AI controled spiders of human players with Mass Attack.
    -Smoothed all ramps.
    -Spiders get now selected if you selected their egg.
    -Lord AI now shows human vasalls where they want you to attack. (with Ping)
    -Reduced costs of the upgrade "Learn Vampirism" from 500 to 450.
    -Reduced costs of the upgrade "Learn Toxicity" from 500 to 450.
    -Reduced costs of the upgrade "Ultima Brood Mother" from 500 to 450.

• -Added a new War Spider ability: Vampirism
    -Added a new War Spider ability: Toxicity
    -Added a new upgrade: Learn Vampirism
    -Added a new upgrade: Learn Toxicity
    -Changed the Mass Command: Attack icon.
    -Imported a passive info icon.
    -Added a display to upgrades which shows how many stages one each got.
    -Different AI difficulties: dependent on "cheat-upgrades" which increases spider hitpoints.

• ->Easy: +0%
      ->Medium: +50%
      ->Hard: +100%
    -Add capture color function - no longer predefined colors!
    -Added new AI support:

• ->AI now uses organized mass attacks.
      ->AI researches the three new upgrades in the ruin.

• -Increased maximum hero (Brood Mother) level from 20 to 30.
    -AI builds walls and wards randomly instead of following a certain plan. (caused bugs)
    -Spiders now remain at their order after upgrading.
    -Colors are now predefined in init.
    -Fixed a bug with food which was triggered when eggs got killed by spiders.
    -Fixed a bug that player slot 10 wasn't able to have correct alliances.
    -AI now just want to capture the Scout Tower if it belongs to an opponent.
    -Fixed the message when capturing the central Scout Tower.

• -AI is now able to build Walls and Wards.
    -AI Brood Mother now always stays close to her Obelisk and returns to the base if it has left it.
    -AI now builds faster all three Wells.
    -Improved AI system performance with many dead units.
    -Increased the hitpoints of Walls from 2000 to 2500.
    -Decreased the hitpoints of Wards from 25 to 10.
    -Increased missile speed of Wards from 700 to 900.
    -Decreased chance for KI to research egg upgrade.

• -Added an AI to play against the computer.
    -Changed Hotkey of "Remove Unit" from P to T.
    -Fixed eggs food costs.
    -Fixed but that units at the end despawned and bugged grafics instead of getting paused.
    -Fixed a bug that Spider Wards envolved into War Spider (1) after the first attack.
    -Fixed a but that Brood Spiders got killed when they used "Web Attack".

• -Fixed a bug that War Spiders developed too fast.

• -Added a new ability to Brood Spiders: Web Attack
    -Fixed a bug that the Attack Upgrade of War Spiders increased the base attack damage too much.
    -Minor fixes on overtake message of the central Scout Tower.
    -Added error messages if you can't lay more eggs because of the food limit.
    -Added an Info (as Ability) to Obelisk.
    -Decreased casting range of Create Spider Web from 250 to 200.
    -Added a new War Spider stage (7).
    -Removed Berserk from War Spider (6).
    -Added Berserk to War Spider (7).
    -Increased mana costs of Berserk from 54 to 70.
    -Increased duration of Berserk from 15 seconds to 20 seconds.
    -Added Spider Ward as a new structure for the Brood Mother to defend your base.
    -Improved and changed Brood Mother icon and model.
    -Increased stage limit of the Improve Attack upgrade from 3 to 5.
    -Increased stage limit of the Improve Survivability upgrade from 3 to 5.
    -Increased the size of some ramps of the six middle bases.

• - Fixed a bug that Brood Spiders got killed when laying new eggs.
    - Added a Map Preview (thanks to SaLaMi-WurSt for making it!)

• - Initial release on thehiveworkshop.com

Credits are given ingame & map is protected.

This map is fully coded with vJass and hashtables are used - it won't work for Wc3 versions older than 1.24!

Keywords:
spider, lord, empire, spiderwar, war, strategy, risk, ki, ai, bot, bots, computer, singleplayer, single, solo
Contents

Spider Empire v1.81 (Map)

Reviews
22:17, 9th Aug 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved
Level 11
hiho,

thanks guys! =)

I uploaded a new version 1.72.
there I fixed some bugs and improved the AI greatly - it is now even more aggressive.
lost a game against some bots some minutes ago ... xD
however, I recommend you to play with bots AND other players! =)

hf & gl !!

Robbepop

Level 14
Gameplay is cool, a tad simple but fun none the less. The terrain is decent, but rather flat and the river is unpolished. If you like I can touch it up a bit to show you what I mean.

I played 1v1 against the AI. The only complaint I have in regards to the AI is that it only sent 1 or 2 spiders at a time to retake lost obelisks. A squad of 3-5 would work better, since I was able to camp 2-5 spiders at each point I held until I generated enough spiders to capture another one.

Suggestions/Comments:
~ The Central Scout tower doesn't seem to have any function currently. Perhaps let it increase the visibility of all spiders by say 25-50. A minor, but useful bonus.
~The terrain art is decent, but generally flat. The river could be done more realistically with smoother borders. All of your ramps are eyesores, use the raise/lower feature to smooth them out.
~Incorporate 3-4 greater obelisks to capture. Allow them to grant minor boosts to stats such as movement speed, 0.05 HP regen, a 1-5% chance to evade an attack, and/or a boost to mana regen. This would implement some more Risk into the game.
~Diversify the types of spiders players have access to.
-Large spiders that are slow, but tough and lethal.
-Quick spiders that rely on fast attack and movement speed but suffer low damage/armor
-Spiders that can web other spiders to capture/kill (doesn't work on Brood Mothers).
~Allow different level spiders advantages that aren't shared by the other levels.
-Lvl 1,2 spiders have Shadowmeld (rename appropriately), allowing them to be unseen unless they move. This works at all times of the day.
-Lvl 3,4 spiders have Venom (Stage 1), basically the Orc Windrider's poison attack.
-Lvl 5,6 spiders have Venom (Stage 2), basically the NE Dryad's slow poison attack.

I'll not give you a rating since I didn't really give you a review. I do like what you have here, it's a good start. I am partial to spiders though...

//\\^^//\\

P.S.
Other users will whine about you not having credits posted on the map's thread. Is it required by any rules? No.

Suggestions for your hero proper names:
~Acanthosurria musculosa
~Avicularia avicularia
~Bonnetina rudloffi
~Brachypelma schroederi
~Maraca horrida
~Xenesthis immanis
~Pterinochilus
~Plesiophrictus
~Phlogiellus
~Nhandu tripepii

Edit:
Update soon?

//\\0o//\\

Last edited:
Level 11
hiho,

thank you for your big report of the map and for your suggestions and feedback. =)

you are right - the terrain is flat but I like it the way I did it.
A game like this one doesn't need an ultimative terrain - however, the terrain is fine imo.

I really never coded an AI before and it is a really long script so sorry if it isn't perfect but I'm still working on it.
In v1.80 the AI will attack in larger groups and even organized sometimes. =)

I also thought about different spider types but my friends said that it would mess up the simple gameplay and I think they are totally right.
The central scout tower has a great functionality.
Perhaps you played in singleplayer with an open map - then it is useless.
But as long as you play normal the vision area will be a huge benefit for your strategy.

I already thought about adding two so called "Aura-Obelisks" to the game which would stand in the middle of the map where players then can fight for them.
However, I'm still not sure if I should add this new feature.

Just wait for v1.80 and you will probably see new and cool stuff. ;-)

Robbepop

Edit: Released v1.80 !! -> HF & GL !! =)

Last edited:
Level 14
Played again, this time with 5 AI. The AI is more aggresive, which is good. The spider mobs can cause problems (player or AI), but that's more luck related then anything else. There isn't much strategy involved, which works since this is intended to be a quick game. Being attacked by 30 lvl6, about 25 lvl 5 spiders, and alot of other spiders is bad for my health; however, it's funny to watch though.

Could you at least smooth out the ramps? They make me cry when I look at them (which is whenever I attack an Obelisk).

Ideas:
~War spiders that lose a low % of their HP every few sec? The idea is that they need to feed, lest they starve to death. It would help quicken the game pace and eliminate a research. It would also discourage camping.
~Level 1/2/3 war spiders have 15%/10%/5% evasion. It's to help offset the fact that upper level spiders are practically impervious to them. Also, smaller creatures enjoy a manuverability that larger, stronger ones don't.

Seeing the center of the map doesn't really do much but give you a slight heads-up that a mob is coming your way. I still lean towards a slight increase in vision range for all spiders.

//\\oo//\\

Level 11
hiho,

I tried to smooth the ramps but it didn't work which confused me - perhaps I have to change something with my settings ...
Did it often in the past so I really don't know why it doesn't work now. xD

Hmm,... I'm not sure with your deregeneration idea.
It is already very hard to get soo strong spiders like stage 6 and 7.
There is an upgrade "Learn Toxicity" which should sound interessting for your problem. With this upgrade you are able to kill the bigger spiders easily with the poison which stacks. So the poison is as strong with smaller spiders as with strong one because all spiders got the same poison and attackspeed. =)

I got another funny idea for the scout tower.
I thought about an active ability which can be activated after 3 (5) minutes of controlling the scout tower. (so you are meant to defend it!)
If you cast this ability you get vision of all your opponent Brood Mothers (bases) and perhaps can coordinate your attack then. =)
Effect could last 15 seconds which should be enough to scout all interessting things.^^

Robbepop

edit:
released v1.81 and besides ... smoothed those %)§(/ ramps with a one hour work. T.t

can a mod pls approve this map as I think it is working. LOL xD

Last edited:
Level 14
Learn Toxicity is an expensive upgrade. The most recent game I played, you have to constantly upgrade your max food size and max damage. Anything else will cost you the game with 7 other AI. I see you mentioned a cost reduction, I'll check later to see if it's better. Odds are you'll have to bring the cost down to 200.

//\\oo//\\

Level 11
hiho,

well, the three new upgrades are lategame upgrades.
it is intended that they are expensive but every single upgrade rocks.

with vampirism it is easier to get bigger war spiders.
toxicity improves the offense of smaller spiders immensely which is awesome in some situations. besides that it allows you to hunt brood mothers better with the 25% movementspeed slow.
ultima brood mother upgrade is always a good choice imo - if you got the money.^^

Robbepop

Level 14
The ramps are much better now. They can be improved, but will do for now... ::p

In my experience, there shouldn't be a late-game. While they upgrades can be nice, they should be standard abilities already (and/or gained with higher level War Spiders passively).

Also, you can control 4/6 other players and still lose the game if you lose 1 battle. The lower level spiders are useless against larger ones. That may be how you intended the game, but if you're one of the lords facing off you may as well leave the game. There's no way to recover against 30+ lvl 5+ spiders from one player, never mind more.

Would you allow the smaller (low level) spiders to level up faster against larger (high level) spiders, excluding Brood Mothers?

Also, the games I've been playing still don't allow you to research the ability upgrades. Doing so will at least cost you lordship, if not the game.

The Brood Mother Ultima upgrade you can keep at 500 gold cost, unless you really want it to be used. The Obelisk income doesn't help much in the game. You do far better by fighting opponents.

Out of curiosity, what is the highest lvl War Spider? I thought it was lvl5, but I just saw 2 lvl 7 spiders 1/2 way to lvl 8.

//\\0o//\\

Level 11
hiho,

I don't think that I should remove the upgrade for those war spider abilities but perhaps I will again lower their costs to 400 or something like that.

I already planned a master upgrade with which your war spiders get 2 mana instead of one per attack and so speed-up the whole growing. =)

You could be right with the low obelisk income.
Maybe I will change the income rate and timer to make them more effective.

The highest War Spider level is stage 7.
If a stage 7 war spider has got full mana it can use "berserk" which increases its attackspeed by 100% for 20 seconds.^^

Robbepop

Level 14
I'm wary about how OP upper level spiders are, there's no way t deal with them without them. I want to do several more run-throughs before I elaborate though and propose solutions (posting detailed problems without offering solutions is little better than whining). I just posted in case you received similar feedback from other players.

//\\oo//\\

Level 11
hiho,

well that's the profession.
if you know that upper-level spiders are very good and help you to win you should micro out them to prevent them from dying which definitely needs skill. =)

Robbepop

edit: thinking about making this map for sc2 ...

Last edited:
Level 14
I just played the map again, with me and 7 AI. Protecting nearly-dead spiders isn't all that helpful. The easiest way to win is to launch Mass Comand attacks as soon as you have 40 spiders. Any other way I've tried it results in my defeat. I usually only get as far as the Ruin, 1 upgrade for Attack, HP, and army size. Sometimess I have 5-6 walls and a snake-tower thing. The games don't last longer then that.

You could make it for SC2, but you should still continue it for die-hard WC players like me...

//\\oo//\\

Level 1
Kl3sk Reviews : Spider Empire
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version : 1.81
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Type : Hybrid (Survival + Capture The Flag)

Description : (3/5)

Although acceptable, this type of description doesn't do the map any favors. It makes little use of BB codes and makes it look what some may call "n00bish". Basic information aside, what is "-No losers just winners! =)" all about ? I mean I did smile, but I'm still slightly confused as to what it meant...

In-Game Review

Terrain

I'm not gonna go easy on a map just because it's a little under 1 MB to download. While I may agree the terrain is supposed to fit the "Spider Theme", I would have loved to see a little bit more detail into the final outcome. Slapping a few trees, tree trunks and some bush / plant doodads just doesn't cut it. If I must remind all you would-be map-makers , I will : The year is 2011! I tend to think we evolve as a community and learn to better ourselves with every passing moment and improve future projects. If the resources are available, why not use them ? (2/5)

Models

No custom models, but we're talking about a map that revolves around arachnids, so there's no point discussing the topic at hand, though I will say this : instead of just increasing in size when the spiders upgrade, why not give them a distinguishable (new) skin ? This can also lead to new breeds of spiders. I'm pretty sure the Hive has enough of those to go around. Simply import! (rating N/A)

Icons

Now, I just can't forgive you for the lack of icons. If you're going create something called "Spider Empire", at least stick to the theme damn it! I can't imagine why a Tauren Reincarnation icon is used as an upgrade in this map, no matter the effects, the simplest thing you can do is make me feel like I'm in the game. A place full of venomous arachnids where the forest is their oyster. This can be done by both improving terrain, (models) skins and hell : custom icons (or at least matching ones) are most welcomed! (0/5)

Skills

I found no bugs or glitches so I'm guessing it's a safe map to play, granted I only played 3 times. It is rather dull that the abilities are basic (W3 norm) . During this time, the only inconvenience I found was the "Group Attack" or "Mass Attack" button. Having a swarm of minions to micro means I would have little use of sending them blindingly to their grave. Here's a twist : How about you toggle this ability ? One click on the Brood Mother's ability to trigger "Micro Managing" and two clicks for "Macro Managing". This, in effect, would help you manage your troops more effectively. I'm not sure if any of this is getting to you, but either way you can PM me for a more in-depth explanation. (5/5)

Misc

Though it's a "cute" map, and the idea seems roughly new (Spider catches Obelisk ?), yet I have difficulty keeping my eyes open through the entire ordeal. It's supposed to be an adrenaline-packed experience, I can tell by the design of it, but there's nothing to really catch my eye, no unique feature to make me say "I am playing this since it's the only map I know of that has "X" in it" . It's a twist to most survival / capture the flag / and even altered melee maps I've ever played, I'll give you that, but the replay value is cut short by delivering less than it potentially can. If I want to mass units and rush the enemy's base, I'll just play Starcraft as Zerg. End of story. (2/5)

Game-Play

I can tell from the beginning that this is a fast-paced game, so my first concern is map-size. Considering the units' movement speed, rushing the enemy from the first few seconds seems highly plausible. And if you're gonna play full house, chances are 2 or more enemies will discover you by accident in the first minutes of game-play and pummel you into nonexistence. So while this is a "free-for-all", I'd suggest you add modes in the beginning of the game (decided by the host, of course) that include the option "Team Vs." - "Free for All" and anything else you can think of in this sense. Also, another improvement would be increasing / decreasing the amount of gold a captured Obelisk can give the owner (this time, it can be voted by each player and the majority decides).
Well, apart from suggestions the actual game-play itself isn't all that bad. It might be entertaining for some, but I don't see many people playing this after the first few goes. There's just not enough content to keep the player in-game. Let me describe the experience : "Lay eggs - Capture Obelisk - Scout for other Obelisks - Lay eggs - Find enemy scouting minion / eliminate unit - Capture Obelisk - Lay more eggs - repeat" ... Now, as fun as that may sound, the fact I can build 4 additional structures (that make very little sense coming from a map named "Spider Empire") and upgrade some abilities doesn't really warm my heart any bit. I was left with a "meh" feeling at the end of each of my three games. Oh, as a side note : For Pete's sake, "Spider-Ward" ?...I mean really ? :\ ...It's a W3 classic Serpent Ward with a classic W3 Serpent Ward icon. < -- Lazy map-making all the way.

In conclusion :

Do I recommend Survival / Capture The Flag fans to play this ? : Yes (If you're into massing units, press "A" and click on the enemy base, this is the map for you)

Do I recommend non-Survival / Capture The Flag fans to play this : No (You'll get bored the first nanosecond the game starts)

Will I play this map again : Yes / No (Undecided. If a future version is released and improvements are made, I shall further test it for a more adequate review)

Final verdict : I guess this boils all down to opinion. Hence, I personally do not agree with approving a map that seems to be created since Blizzard first released W3, but at the same time, theoretically, this map does not crash, leak, or violate any Hive rules, since it also gives proper credits to their respective authors.

This should stay Rejected! (until updated) for the time being.

Foot-note : Though you might be on to something, the experience I got from Spider Empire was less than memorable. Little effort was put in this map and I'm not sure how anyone can argue with me on this level if they've tried the map out once before. It's a nice concept, but lacking good execution and quality.

* Please PM me if you have ANY questions or complaints about this review.

Level 11
hiho,

it is easy.
I just created a new unit without attack, took the nerubian weave model (ability), made its size to about 5.0, set its selection circle to 0 and added a flying height to it (otherwise it is in the ground). =)

btw: ah forgot to mention that I also added locust ability to it to make it unselectable and immune to spells. ;-)

Robbepop

Level 11
hiho,

well my friend (Smokey_Bud aka is the creator of spider war.
he invented the gameplay style with spider arround 2006/2007 and I helped him to further improve the game at that time.
But he stopped working on the map some time ago and I wanted to update it. =)
I asked him if I could make a map SIMILAR to his current spider war map and made this one.
However, if you really played this map you will find out that there are many many many things which I worked out totally different from the old spider war maps.

In the meantime I would no longer say that this map is a copy but a totally different game with its own gameplay, mechanics and style. =)
The only similar thing is the spider grafics.
-> My friend agreed with this btw.^^

As I said I will further improve the terrain and gameplay of spider empire.
However there are no really useful spider 2d UI grafics ...

Robbepop

Level 5
i wish i could talk to smokey_bud but i lost contact with him

i'm a friend of him who is not as old as you are but it's been a while since i have talked to him

Level 1
hi ho

yes is fun. remind me to before the scourge but this more enjoyable.

can you change spider with another animal? some people afraid spider.
I like play broodmother but not for longtime and full spider in the game

5/5 for this excellent map

Level 11
hiho,

@noobieatmaps:
if you find that the ai is easy then just go to the next higher level and play against 9 bots on hard difficulty. :p
you will fail, I guess.^^

@humaam:
I don't know scourge ... :-(
Well, I could change the models of all spiders to whatever I want but I really like spiders. :p

Thank you guys for all the positive feedback! ;-)

Robbepop

Level 6
nice map, another great creation by Robbepop...

i enjoy the gameplay a lot, but it needs more variety of stuff.

I can ensure you that if you add more unique features this will be a really awesome map.
-May i suggest adding a "broodMother class selection" for the players to make them
feel free of selecting their own type of character, that can be a unique feature of your map.

-Also you can make a new pair of strategic structures in the map like capturable ponds
that boost some status and gives a little income or a rat burrow that lets your spiders eat or train and give you some small income too

-The idea of boris of adding a bigger obeliscs that gives more income than others is really cool too you should take some ideas that he give you before too....

-you make a really great work mapping Robbepop you make magic with your hands, "congratulations" and Great work
:cwink:

Level 3
hiho,

@noobieatmaps:
if you find that the ai is easy then just go to the next higher level and play against 9 bots on hard difficulty. :p
you will fail, I guess.^^

Robbepop
Well, to be honest, I never knew you the AI had multiple difficulty levels.
I'll play again and post back with my results. =)

Level 6
#Ally command for making teams [-ally] [//open dialog screen with colors|slot] or [-ally <player_color>]
#More Upgs[Spders EVOLUTE to adv. level]
#Mobs Ingame for lvlup spiders
#modes [fast / tag ..etc]

Level 6
well... waiting for updates :D
**AN Ideas**
[Note I've writed AN, cause of fun]
-Add Different kind/s of spider/s [like in Bug Evo] [currently...no idea what/how/which... to add .. bla bla bla]
-Add Respawning Mobs Where can spiders be leveled up
-I don't know .. :D
Map is GR8 [5/5],. keep it up bro