• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ripple

Reactions: WolfFarkas
User who uploaded this Presents

Ripple
Created by normalice

Map Info:
I actually only made this because I wanted to mess around with random units, but none of that worked, so this is a very uninteresting 12-player map - which I suppose makes it all the more suitable for playing on, but perhaps not so interesting to 'look' at..

Features:
starting mines and natural expansion mines each have the default amount. Mines in the center of each 'trifecta' have 50k, as do mines at the center of the map. The expectation is that each group of three will be decided somewhat quickly, but the remaining 4 could take a while, in an FFA anyway..

I haven't really considered this for 3v3 or 3v3v3v3, but it is theoretically practical for that purpose.

neutral buildings shown:
2 observatories
2 fountains of health
2 of mana
4 shops
4 taverns
8 waygates
1 dragon roost

Screenshots:
Can be found here(I'll add more to the album as I make them..)

Updates:
Improved pathing around taverns
reduced natural expansion gold amounts to 7.5k
reduced starting gold mine amounts to 11.5k
reduced mines in the middle of each 'trifecta' to 25k
reduced mines in middle to 10k

Authors notes:
The layout is basically the same as all of my 12-player maps, but of course with subtle differences. So, really it's more a question of which tileset you like best. Here are the others, for reference:
Splatter
Ten Paces
Heirarchy (but this is 3v3 only - i.e. no 'solo' FFA).

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Ripple (Map)

Reviews
11:09, 22nd Jul 2013 Orcnet: sonofjay's review:

M

11:09, 22nd Jul 2013
Orcnet: sonofjay's review:

sonofjay;2382954 said:
Review:

Ripple is a huge melee map for 12 players which is so rare this days. As the author said, it is the same layout as his other 12 player maps which is a downer in my opinion.

The terrain layout for me is much simple but I give you props for making it consistent for a large scale melee map like this. But since you have more room to operate with the 176x176 playable area, I would have prefer if you made a more complex layout than this. But overall its nice and ideal for large scale strategy players.

The designing for me is pretty much inconsistent and that is mostly given for large scale maps like this, but you could have done way better than this. The middle part for me is probably the best spot here with the good use of Spires and floating rocks and I also like the idea of the Dragon Roost. but other than that almost everywhere hit the rock bottom. To hide the emptiness of a vast terrain like this you have to focus on the little things like adding rocks, arc, obelisk, maybe even grate and try to combine them to make some unique designs. Also you can some cool things with the cliff tools and the spires so try to experiment. Anyway, lets just to another topic and that is the way you brush the tiles. Its looks pretty weird for me and really unrealistic. Some place looks well brushed, some place looks bland and some looks like a jigsaw pieces. Try to be consistent with it and don't rush it. Tiles most of the times kills the emptiness of the terrain itself.

Anyway, it looks fine and I love the way gate to tavern idea. Voting for approval. I want to rate it 4 but the inconsistency on many aspects makes me rate it to 3.

Level 28
Review:

Ripple is a huge melee map for 12 players which is so rare this days. As the author said, it is the same layout as his other 12 player maps which is a downer in my opinion.

The terrain layout for me is much simple but I give you props for making it consistent for a large scale melee map like this. But since you have more room to operate with the 176x176 playable area, I would have prefer if you made a more complex layout than this. But overall its nice and ideal for large scale strategy players.

The designing for me is pretty much inconsistent and that is mostly given for large scale maps like this, but you could have done way better than this. The middle part for me is probably the best spot here with the good use of Spires and floating rocks and I also like the idea of the Dragon Roost. but other than that almost everywhere hit the rock bottom. To hide the emptiness of a vast terrain like this you have to focus on the little things like adding rocks, arc, obelisk, maybe even grate and try to combine them to make some unique designs. Also you can some cool things with the cliff tools and the spires so try to experiment. Anyway, lets just to another topic and that is the way you brush the tiles. Its looks pretty weird for me and really unrealistic. Some place looks well brushed, some place looks bland and some looks like a jigsaw pieces. Try to be consistent with it and don't rush it. Tiles most of the times kills the emptiness of the terrain itself.

Anyway, it looks fine and I love the way gate to tavern idea. Voting for approval. I want to rate it 4 but the inconsistency on many aspects makes me rate it to 3.

Level 13
Review:

lol. figures, I'd get non-moderater feedback only on my most uninspired map :cry: