• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Response v1.2b

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This map is a Hero Arena relies completely on skill and timing. Instead of normal movement and attacks, players use special blink and attack skills along with timed Blocking. There are 7 heroes to choose from, each with their own capabilities.

0.1 - 0.3
- Whoops, forgot to upload 0.2, oh well
- Heroes can now move, but very slowly...
- Tried to make it more fast paced.....
- You now level up a lot faster!
- Heroes have less HP
- Balances
- Leaver text

0.3 - 0.4
- Balances, especially to the Ranger
- Actual movement!
- Leaderboard
- Selectable score limit
- Tried to make it faster paced!

0.4 - 0.5
- Argh! Fixed the Ranger's 999 Dm attack!
- More ITEMS!!!

0.5 - 0.6
- Added the Block skill
- Revamped the combat system
- Attack skills now have 50 levels!

0.6 - 0.7
- Fixed the Blademaster Mirror Image bug
- Fixed some movement bugs

0.7 - 0.8
- A huge revamp (again), the combat system is now a LOT better
- A bunch of bug fixes
- Normal movement has been removed along with normal attack
- Got the Food Damage system going (Its is used for the attack system)
- Blademaster now has Wind Walk, and is suddenly not so shitty!
- Heros now have 10 level of their ability, starting for level 1
- Automatic Resurrection

0.8 - 0.9
- A lot of bug fixes!
- Worked on the upcoming Passive Abilities

0.9 - 1.0
- Passive Abilities finished
- Heaps of balance/neatness upgrades :D
- Started with the Item Levels recipe system

1.0 - 1.1
- Scrapped Item Levels
- Almost completely redid the Ranger
- New Camera system
- Doodads! (That alter gameplay :D)

1.1 - 1.1b
- Far more doodads, looks a LOT better
- New hero - Lich

1.1b - 1.1c
- Some terrain tweaks
- Different ranged targeting system
- Camera modes
- CRAP, I LEFT THE TEST UNIT IN! Fixed...

1.1c - 1.2
- CTF mode
- New hero
- New Flash Mode variants
- Lotsa tweaks

1.2 - 1.2b
- Changed the default camera mode
- New damage system.
- New items

NOTE. All changes are not listed.

Keywords:
Blink, attack, skill, timing, boring, shitty, heros
Contents

Response v1.2b (Map)

Reviews
15:19, 31st Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 4
Yeah, this is a really interesting map. I didn't get much time to play, so i can't offer that many suggestions, but i'd say making attacks not be a unit targetter would add to the skill/timing aspect of the game. And maybe different terrain templates?

4 out of 5 keep up the work

Level 19
Yeah, this is a really interesting map. I didn't get much time to play, so i can't offer that many suggestions, but i'd say making attacks not be a unit targetter would add to the skill/timing aspect of the game. And maybe different terrain templates?

4 out of 5 keep up the work

Hmmm, interesting idea about the attacks not being target based, but how would I do that?

Level 4
Hmmm, theres probably a multiple amount of ways, but off the top of my head it'll probably taking triggering like this:

• Attack
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Animate Dead
    • Actions
      • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage circular area after 0.00 seconds of radius 100.00 at ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 0.00 towards (Facing of (Triggering unit)) degrees), dealing 100.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
Of course i just spent 10 seconds on that, and it could be easily better. Plus i wouldn't recommend using animate dead....

Edit: Hidden

Last edited:
Level 19
Well, im pretty bad with triggers, but it seems to me like that would be insanely difficult, as i would need to do different triggers for each level of a skill...
Hmm, anyway, ill look into it, as i HAVE played maps that do that...

PS Whats with the title; Ah...? :p Go Soul Eater!

Level 4
Lol, yeah, that's what i was thinking. But, i KNOW there's a quicker way to do it, i just have no friggen clues. I'm fairly great with triggers, but i'm a stick in the sand when it comes to arrays and trigger optimization. (i can make it happen leakless, but it's going to take up losta space as you said) If you ask on the GUI forums you could probably get someone to show you (which you probably knew).

P.S. No Clue :p

And yeah, i love the art in SE xD

Level 19
Oh well, the current system is functional...
But Royy, would you mind deleting or Hiding that GUI string... I dont like my screens being stretched :p

EDIT. Lol, ended up using that after all :p

Last edited:
+Positive+
+ nice and original idea
+ this map needs skill
+ good variation of heroes
+ map size :eek:

#Neutral#
# add some effects to the spells
# more heroes would be great
# more templates to choose from

-Negative-
- change the black edges of the map, it doesn't look good
- add more doodads/destructables to your map, the map looks boring at the moment
- small variation of abilities
- items

I have to say, the map makes a lot of fun, and is a nice idea.
But I think it lacks a bit of effects... Some effects when you attack, move or cast would be great, and would make the map more good-looking.
The Terrain is a bit boring, but it isn't a flat one, so it's okay.
It has a lot of potential. Work on it, and it will shurely become a very good, and funny map.
I think, the map deserves a 3.25/5 [-> 3 (Rating)]

Level 19
Well I am working on giving every Hero a passive ability to go with their current one.
I will also try to put in some blood effects, as it is hard to see if you hit someone or not.
I will put a blink effect in, probably something with a ribbon emitter.
Ill get rid of the black edges.
I probably wont be able to put more heros in, as I am already pretty stretched for passive ability idea...
What do you mean by "more templates"?

Thanks for the review :D

Level 1
Heroes can now move, but very slowly...
How much slow? I waited for 1 minute to see how far it will go but I didn't notice any change in position so you should just take that out if it isn't a joke already.

About hotkeys.
The Hotkey for Block (A) does not work. I have to click it by mouse to make it work.
Also why did you change the hotkey for attack from A to C? People are habitual for A for Attack. So I would suggest that you change that back to A.

What's with the flash mode? I didn't see any change even after I used it.

A few options for different camera angles may be nice. The present one is good but it is always good to allow variation.

There is one item about which I have a complain: Energy Booster. The energy gets regenerated fast enough so what's its use unless the energy value can be made quite high & spell cost is high.

Cannot say about gameplay as cannot play multiplayer.

The size is.....small....little. Very nice work on that.

Would not rate it as I cannot play multiplayer.

Level 19
- Normal movement has been removed along with normal attack
I removed normal movement a LONG time ago...

The Block hotkey is actually Z, fail tooltip D:
I changed the hotkey arrangement for ease of use, it is easier to just keep your fingers on those 4 buttons, and this would not work for ASDF as S=Stop D:

Flash mode adds funky red ribbons onto people ^^ It is just a small visual command, I will put in more, such as a CTF mode, and perhaps a Turn Based thing as well :eek:

I will add some different camera modes.

The energy booster is quite useless for some heros, but others use very large amounts of mana, and it help a lot during the early stages of the game.

Level 28
I will now play it in single player, later today or tomorrow, I'll play it on b.net with a friend.

single Player Review:

General

General:
  • Map is protected, yet there is no indication that it is.
  • The description is very lacking (only the most basic information is given).

Gameplay:
  • Instead of making a lot of commands for the kills, make 1 command where you can enter -XXX (XXX = number between 1 and [your choice]).
  • I think it would be good if you used auto-blink (blink when you right-click a position, instead of using the ability).
  • A command to change the flash-animation seems strange, isn't it possible to create a small Game Menu-unit? (use a worker or something, for F8), where you can change that (and perhaps some other features).
Terrain/Objects

Terrain:
  • Increase the map size a little, so you can remove those edges
  • I really don't like northern (or any icy) cliffs
  • The tiles were too repetitive...
  • Some doodads didn't look like they fit in (the spikes, the cage, the pipes).

Objects:
  • The amount of heroes is good for this type of map (never let the quantity take over the quality).
  • Every ability seemed good, yet they looked 'too normal'
  • Remove the attribute-text, or change it.
  • The "Holy Justice" and "Divine Shield"-buffs are being mixed up.
  • It would be a lot easier if you made Strength the damage, or something else that makes it asier to see your damage.
  • The learn, or normal tooltip of "Infusion" (knight) is incorrect, it says "5 HP/sec" in the learn-tooltip, but "10HP/sec" in the normal tooltip.
  • There weren't a lot of items.
Overall

It's a good project, but it still needs some work.
Improve the terrain, add more special effects, more items, change some commands and add a few features.

I won't rate it yet, I'll update this post when I've played it in multiplayer.
If you need any help with triggers/ideas, ask me ^^
(you don't need to send me the map, just say some things you've got problems with...).

Level 19
Thanks for the review (yeah, I know this response [pun unintended] is really late :p)
First of all, why the hell do people say thing like "Map is protected, yet there is no indication that it is", what is the point of saying so??? If they actually wanted to know, people could just try to open it, it only takes 20 secs or so...

I will put in a better score setting system :p
Your AutoBlink idea would not work, as right-clicking is used to turn around etc. Perhaps I could make a double rightclick thing..?
The Flash commands are merely extras, the proper blink ribbon animation is supposed to be the barely visible one, it is far more subtle and to an extent, realistic.

What do you mean by "those edges"???
Yes, the doodads are rather random, but oh well, it gives the terrain a chaotic feel (did you find the PillarPipe? :p).

The heros and abilities are supposed to be based on those of normal Wc3 heros.
You Strength idea is great, it would make things a lot easier :D
The lack of a lot of items is because of the limitations of the maps systems, I cant do things such as increasing attack and movement speed etc.

Level 28
Your response is a bit late indeed, but I didn't test it in multiplayer either :bored:

It just makes it easier for me... sometimes my WE is open, then I need to close it, open your map, ... (yes, I close it, because otherwise I have to download it, put it in the correct folder and then open it with the WE :p).

Anyhow, I always want to check the efficiency in triggering, so I always open the map first, but if the map is protected, it takes a while to open the WE, just for it to crash... if you say the map is protected, that wouldn't happen and I would win another 20 seconds of my life =)

By 'edges' I mean this:

edgeoftheworld.jpg

The map suddenly ends there :eekani:
You can increase the map size a little in "camera bounds and ..." (I don't know exactly how it's called :p) and then create cliffs at the end, or something that makes the edges dissapear.

You also need to change the attribute text ^^
heroattributes.jpg

As you can see, this is a bit of a mess... I almost want to have -21kkk agility :eek:

Umm... items ehh?
That's a bit hard, indeed :p
Maybe... something that increases your first ability and another item that increases your second ability? (Since all of your abilities are - seemingly - triggered, it won't be a problem I guess).

Level 19
No, most of the abilities are not triggered, just critical strikes.
Ill put in a random moat thing around the arena :p
The attribute text is not really a problem, noone actually looks at that, and while I do try to pay attention to detail, I really dont see a point in this :p.
The new version did add a few new items, they are now split into 2 different stores.

Level 6
Mass Purging Template Version 3.0
Approve.

Any Personal Comments?
Terrain was fine. triggers leaked a tad, and some could've been compressed, but the re playability value and terrain made up for it,

Last edited:
Level 19
Heh-heh, yeah. Back... Aaaages ago, I thought my first map was pretty damn cool. About 4 months ago, I revisited it and nearly had a heart attack upon realising that it was.. Like, the stereotypical "bad map".
Needless to say, I deleted it.