• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Pit

User who uploaded this Presents

The Pit
Created by normalice

Map Info:
Each base is in a 'pit', with an opponent's natural expansion overlooking their base.

Features:

Two expansion mines for each side. The starting mines and the "easy" expansion have very little gold in them (9k between them). The mines in the middle each have 40k, however those two mines are in close proximity to one another, and they are each below an overlook that is easily accessible by the other player.

Also contains a tavern, shop, merc camp, and fountain of health (one for each side), and an observatory in the middle.

Screenshots:

226970-albums6220-picture67049.png

226970-albums6220-picture67048.png

226970-albums6220-picture67047.png

For more images view the full album.

Updates:
V1
Increased path width on the sides
Reduced corner gold mine creep camps to 'yellow'.
Reduced goblin shop creep camps to 'green.'

V2
Major modifications..

V3
Updated map description - thanks to Orcnet for the idea.
added some more trees

Other work:
Pack

Contents

The Pit (Map)

Reviews
Approved - with gold depleting quickly, either barge quickly against your enemy or ransack your way into the pit where gold shines till day and night!The Pit (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter...

M

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/albumpictures/65/1a741fbdfbc324e088ae4b7bdf7e6a25_65137.gif?dl=1358781786[/img] ORCNET
e77c6657476df417bcaadf9b0c3e54dc_65139.gif
3fe07659409310e48ede67d4cbe8d699_65138.gif

Comment

Review

Version

Approved
thumbsup1.gif
- with gold depleting quickly, either barge quickly against your enemy or ransack your way into the pit where gold shines till day and night!
The Pit (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"With gold mines in low amount players tend to creep out quickly or directly get much gold in the middle of the map where the action gets into early and as the creep camps are in a stable difficulty, game play is good no much problem to handle."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain needs a little bit more of polishing than my previous check out in its first update even
though it is fitting for the environment of game play."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Any else this is a decent map for those competitive in 1v1 matches and steady enough to scavenge for resource and ground."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
10/1583%B
March 29, 2013
b98eac199f32818d861dc8eadf7b5483_64851.gif

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet
- has reviewed map

Level 30
the player's are closely near to each other making the game a bit anxious to play, possibilities of it such as siege/air units striking down on unsteady defenses on early games making it a quick win to others, the side expansion with a strong creep camp is a good choice but since this is a 1v1 map please reduce much of the surrounding creep difficulty, 1v1 maps are more common to green-orange creep camps than bearing two or more red ones

there's no much doodad/environmental designs in-game mainly some trees scattered and tiles making the layout, also the crossing from the left part of the map and same from the right seems a little too tight, giving space would do

anything else, this map needs adjustment, if you can follow some of my revisions or not, please redirect it in the Map Development thread for more improvements, good luck

EDIT: map updated

Last edited:
Level 13
possibilities of it such as siege/air units striking down on unsteady defenses on early games
um. this isn't possible. siege/air units are tier 2 - which is not early game, (with the exception of glaive throwers which, frankly, barely count as a unit).

anyway, even if it were possible, it would be possible for both players. The anxiety is the whole theme of this map - remember that both players would have the same anxiety, and thus it is balanced. (I have another map "Ten Paces" that also follows this philosophy).

I do agree about the space on the sides thing. I've been trying to figure an elegant solution to it, but for now it performs its function.

I'll scale back the creeps in the corner cold mines to yellow, and the goblin shop creeps to green.

Last edited:
Level 30
you couldn't have just listen and carry on rather than defending a problem that needs fixing, anyways I'm here to take out the smoke

as what I have commented, the main issue that is being shown here are the main bases, may it be a quick scout, tower rush, early air-siege(i.e NE's glaivethrowers, UD's gargoyles, etc) its already an obvious choice just by looking at the minimap you already get the idea. Anyone can reach out to tech2-3 from an early time just for the sake of winning a quick round
effect.jpg

and seriously anxiety? its something a player would 'never' do when it comes to matches and obviously that is not how you play games when you know something this tight is at hand

I took a few checkups for a solution in this matter and so I come up with 2:
option1.jpg
option#1 is the most safest and I suggestively let you follow to finally fix this problem by only moving the main bases from the edges of the map where the goblin labs are stationed, just simply replace there location and as for the goblin lab either placing them in the previous base or in the cliffs would do since two gold mines next to each other is simply imbalance

option2.jpg
I made an option#2 if you really want that theme of 'closely with each other', my option for that is by taking out the a huge chunk of the cliffs that are brightly close to the town halls, by removing that you end up giving space that is another problem the map has and additionally, giving more lumber resources to the main base, if you can look closely on what I'm saying I notice the main base has a little shortage on those lumbers. Also the position of the red creep camps looks odd, give them a proper position where all of them a facing the same direction and prevent a tiny leak of scouting, tower-building etc.

EDIT: map updated

Last edited:
Level 13
as what I have commented, the main issue that is being shown here are the main bases, may it be a quick scout, tower rush, early air-siege(i.e NE's glaivethrowers, UD's gargoyles, etc) its already an obvious choice just by looking at the minimap you already get the idea.
Hm. The golems were supposed to not allow that until dead. I will look into it, thanks :-D

Anyone can reach out to tech2-3 from an early time just for the sake of winning a quick round
yes, but people can do that on any map, and doing it (on this map as well as any other) leaves them open to a rush. That's the way it is: rush beats tech. Tech beats fast expo. fast expo beats rush. That's true for all games (assuming equally skilled opponents).

As I explained to the other guy, this isn't the first "close proximity" map I have made, but it is the first one I haven't been able to test (since battle.net activity has waned a bit). I have found that people usually assume that the other person is going to tech to air, and so they mount an early T1 assault to beat the tech. Your theory makes absolute sense! But it tends to go another way in practice.

and seriously anxiety? its something a player would 'never' do when it comes to matches and obviously that is not how you play games when you know something this tight is at hand
I don't understand what you are saying here.

I will consider changing the layout, though. such that the starting locations are in the corners. But full disclosure: only if I can't make the golems on the cliff work, this is a backup plan.. Remember the TITLE of the map is "The Pit". The whole theme is that the two players are in a pit sort-of together. I.e. the starting locations.

Level 30
I have an option 2 where you don't need to change the 2 main bases' location, you just instead remove much of the cliffs shown in the image I had uploaded, giving way to trees and space, anyways changing the layout is fine, I will look at the output once you are done

Level 13
I have an option 2 where you don't need to change the 2 main bases' location, you just instead remove much of the cliffs shown in the image I had uploaded, giving way to trees and space, anyways changing the layout is fine, I will look at the output once you are done
I couldn't really figure out an elegant solution to the golems, so I just moved the starting location to the corners.

However, I also reduced that mine to 5k gold, and moved the natural expansion to a nearby place, reducing it to 4k gold - the intent is since I can't start players in "the pit" then they must enter the pit (at their own discretion) to not run out of gold, and thus stand a chance.

I also increased the "pit" mines to 40k. The terrain around it has been modified to allow only a limited area for building an expansion - an area that is close to the wall to ensure it is vulnerable to towers on the cliff.

Last edited: