• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

OotF Arena 1.6

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64380.jpg
[/TD]

[TD] Garena Group: 147895 [/TD]

[TD]http://oakofthefirefly.weebly.com[/TD]

[TD]
[/TD]

Oak of the Firefly: Arena
[TD]

Oak of the Firefly Arena is a free-for-all brawl type arena. All players are given the same
hero with same spells which means technique, timing and instincts are your only advantage to others.
The objective of the game is to be the first one to reach the set Kill Requirements its either team up with other
players to bring down the toughest opponent or simply kill steal from others without getting a scratch.

Experience a fast pace brawl with other players in a mysterious, dark and hellish terrain which is
designed by me and worked for hours just to deliver the best possible terrain for everyone to experience.

[/TD]

Features:

[TD]

Fast paced action
A beautiful designed terrain
Cool spells which is implemented for strategical purposesKnockback other players when hitting/damaging them
Challenging AIAnd tons of fun!
[/TD]

[TD]
-Fast Paced Action

Being fast paced doesn't mean that the game is just spam spell here spam there and boom you win. Not here, the definition of fast pace for OotF is that thinking your moves quickly but using the right move at the right moment. Since you don't want your ulti to be block by your enemy right?(Yes everyone have a default spell to neglect any damage for 1 second) So think first but be quick.

-A beautiful designed terrain

Probably the best point of OotF, I spent hours to simply create the best terrain that I can produce for everyone's enjoyment, beautiful and attractive (and a friend of mine said its looks a whole different game), but just enough to not distract you for the main goal. To hunt and to win.

-Cool spells which is implemented for strategical purposes

One might probably ask me, 'why does everyone have the same spell, isn't that boring?' my answer is no, hell no since I really think of what kind of spells will perfectly fit to this type of game, spells that serves its total purpose, 'to be strategical for the whole game but not boring'. Actually it is better to see it for yourself.

-Knockback players when hitting/damaging them

This probably what makes OotF fun, there is no more entertaining stuff than knocking back your enemy with your might. But beware this knockback also have its strategic purpose, attacking enemy from the back knock them away from you so it means it will further the distance of you and a hero you're catching(fleeing from you.).

-Challenging AI

Hell! Are you alone out there? No one to play this awesome map because Warcraft 3 is old? Then worry not my friend since I made sure that you'll be entertained by challenging AIs of OotF: Arena. AIs surely know when to use the block spell, when to best use the ulti and other aoe spells etc.

[/TD]

Gallery

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64207.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64208.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64209.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64210.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64211.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64381.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64382.jpg

[/TD]

And here are some screenshot with the AIs

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64383.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
211785-albums6020-picture64384.jpg

[/TD]

Credits

[TD]Credits:
Model/Icon/Texture Credits:
Ogare - RiR models
Outland UTM - UTM models
Judash - White Queen
Judash - Cleave Effect
Judash - Wind Ball Missile
Tarrasque Tridentyr Missile
Judash - Eclipse Effect
Morbid
RetroSexual

Spell Credits:
Reason3 - Elune Arrow
MarcosDAB - Warden Leap
Razor - Multiboard Help
Radamantus - Knockback
The6thMessenger - Night Glimpse
Defskull
rulerofiron99
Starquizer
[/TD]

Changelog
[TD]
Changelog:

[System]
-Change the way of picking the kill Requirements.
:Now on dialog button

[Minor]
-Remove the icon on multiboard

[Item]
-1 new item added

[Meteorite]
Gives its holder +5 to all stats, + 2 armor and the ability to call 30 meteors that deals min 300 damage and maximum 500 damage per meteor. Each meteor can damage unit 250 aoe of its impact. Meteors falls on a targeted point within 1000 aoe.

Changelog:

[System]
-Added a new system [Run/Walk]

Players can now make their 'Knight' run by double clicking at a point. Continuesly drains mana while running.

[Items]
-2 New items added

[Lightning Hammer]

The holder will have the ability to conjure an orb that will move in a straight line that will strike any enemy units along the pathway dealing 2*int of the holder. Deals explosion damage once it has travel 1200 range or hits the map boundary dealing another 3*int of the holder as damage.

[Soul Extractor]

Gives its holder to extract the soul of its target. The extracted soul is connected to its owner means damaging the soul is equal to damaging its owner and gives additional 15 damage to its holder.

-Minor item balancing

[Ghostwalker's evasion rate increased to 15 from 10.]
[Boots of Speed movement speed addition decrease to 40 from 60.]

Changelog:

-Added '-unstuck' command if your hero got perma stun

Changelog:

Changelog:

[Major]
-8 new items:

Item Information can be found here: http://oakofthefirefly.freeforums.org/post5.html#p5

-Added "-kr 4" which the kill value is "80"

[System]
-Changed knockback effect to 'blood'. This makes the game Mature because of the Gore! >:D

[System]
-Added a damage counter

[Balancing]

-Night Glimpse additional damage per 'pressing F1'
Old: 5 damage
New: 8 damage

-Night Glimpse AoE
Old: 150

New: 190

-3rd Terrain Pathc
-Issue about the pathing is 99% solved
-New Spell: Night Glimpse

To see the complete Changelog, visit this link: http://oakofthefirefly.weebly.com/changelog.html
[/TD]

Keywords:
Firefly, Arena, Brawl, Free-for-all, SonofJay
Contents

OotF Arena 1.6 (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet Approved 12/31/2012 - retested map Oak of the Firefly (Version 1.3) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

Orcnet
e5b1fd1d3e8b29d3008437560552d9f0_64489.jpg
3da5dde2fce9d4032964b0c545b93ff4_64504.gif

Comment

Review

Version

Approved
thumbsup1.gif

12/31/2012 - retested map
Oak of the Firefly (Version 1.3)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Oak of the Firefly"(OotF) is a Arena type of map that lets you start with a level 10 hero and fight free for all against other players, the game is based on a Cinematic that is on the works. Game ends when a player finishes a specific kill round.

"The Game was very appealing and dynamic, not to mention it was fun, easy, and quick to learn since the hot keys are formed near to each to other, The killing system is also understanding since you can make up some rounds or if you don't you can just leave it defaulted. But what troubles me is 'who is the host' of the game, I suggest changing the 'White Knight' in the player properties part into 'Host' then the 'Knights' into 'Players' that way its quicker to know who's who. another is the text when a player killed someone it looks broad when a killing spree takes place give it some colors like give the text red if the player is red. Other than that playable and replay value is good and difficulty is not that hard and suggested for arena players."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif

"The Terrain is a wonder to behold, I never get the time to visualize the dungeon theme into a masterpiece such as this, what's also great about the terrain is its playable and doesn't give pressure to players when moving in a location or in a middle of a fight, a really great graphic!."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"After all of this, game play and terrain is marvelous, I don't see someone complaining about the aesthetics of this map genre but when someone does, hell they didn't had fun, so the only problem or atleast some minor adjustments to take place for this is the score board, it would be great if you can dish out the 'eye icon' into the hero's icon itself and when the player is dead give it a disabled button-like image, give it some colored text and the scoreboard is good as eye-candy, the game doesn't have any items to buff the hero or any gold/lumber/food to add so I suggest hide them or remove them out of the UI Interface or give it some design of your own but I believe an item area will be in place so I don't see this a recommendation, any else this deserves a good rate."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
13/1593%A
194715-albums4664-picture64496.gif
Sin'dorei300
- has reviewed version 1.0
194715-albums4664-picture64496.gif
z.k.y
- has reviewed version 1.2.1
194715-albums4664-picture64508.gif
Orcnet
- has reviewed version 1.3

Review:

Terrain - 5\5
Terrain is pure win, i still don't believe that u used unit model for tiles! XD

Gameplay - 4.5\5
Pretty cool, though a closer camera wouldn't hurt.

Spells - 4.5\5
All spells all good, nice work there, but mp regen is way too long.

Systems - 4\5
Really cool, especially the knockback, but some players can't knockback others, the ''FOR KHAZ MODAAAN'' at the block spell is really funny(u could add Muradin :D), lol, and it has some pathing problems.

Final Score: 4.5\5 = 5\5

It's a great map, just needs some fixes here and there and it'll be perfect! :)
Also, i'd like more heroes!

Level 28
Update:

12/23/12 1.1
-Finished the other half of the terrain and is now open!
-Increased the mana regen for unlimited usage of spells!
-Adjust the camera distance.
-Disabled the knockback system.(I promise to add this on the next update but for now let me disable it so I can release 1.1)4

Anyway thanks for the ratings guys.

Level 28
Heeeeeeeeeeey , That Map Was From XGM.ru

So? 70-80% of the terrain was made by me.(and its not yet finish since i still plan to expand it)

And that map have no trigger you know since its just like a terraining map.

EDIT:

Oh well take a look on this if you want.

attachment.php

As you can see on the pic, the encircled part is what I took from the map and where i get the concept. The rest are terrained by me.

I shall also take the opportunity to say that there will be a new part opened for the next version. I already started terraining it yesterday after I uploaded the 2nd patch for the terrain that adds a major field to play. The 3rd patch for the terrain will not be that huge as the 2nd patch( that actually exceeded the size of the first terrain). The 3rd Patch will approximately add 30-60% of the current playable field size.

For those that haven't check the first version, this pic shows the added terrain on the 2nd patch.

attachment.php

The one encircled on red is the added part. The blue line shows the route where you can wander.

Attachments

• Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 4,041
  • Overview (2).jpg
    Overview (2).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 4,261
Last edited:
Level 28
Map updated and now have have ai support! Anyway here is the changelog(Even though you can also check it out there on the op)

12/24/12 1.2
[MAJOR]
-MAP NOW HAVE AI SUPPORT!
-Knockback System is back, though remove the spell support

[MINOR]
-Heroes now start at Level 10 for more fast pace battle

-Balancing:
Cooldown balancing

*Throw Spear
20 seconds reduced to 10 seconds
*Leap Strike
15 seconds reduced to 8 seconds
*Tempest Strike
14/13/12/11 seconds to 9/8/7/6 seconds

Spell Damage balancing

*Tempest Strike
50/100/150/200 increased to 75/150/225/300

Here check the attachment for the screenshot of me and the ai butchering each other. D:

Just a reminder, the multiboard is not bugged, if a slot is used by ai it will show us 'none' on the multiboard.

EDIT: the first image is kinda lame so I added a new one, i'm not on that scene look at them using that leap strike and Tempest Strike resulting to chaos D:

Attachments

• AI.jpg
    AI.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 245
  • ai 2.jpg
    ai 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Level 28
Where did you get the custom tiles?

Its actually not a tile :D

Anyway sorry if the 1.2 version doesn't have the promised 3rd patch for the terrain, i'm just excited to release the ai version so you guys can play while waiting for further updates. :D

EDIT:

I thought I actually made a huge playable terrain for this kind of map, but playing with 11 ai(equal to 12 players) I realized I'm wrong. So to anyone who actually feels like that, you shall not worry since the 3rd patch for the terrain is coming soon™.

Last edited:
Level 28
WEEE an AI :D

Not really hard to make a fun ai for this type of map since there is no bases etc etc. And I'm taking advantage of Warcraft 3's default Hero AI casting.

EDIT:

12/26/12 - 1.2.1

-Minor tweaks on the AI, since on 1.2 the ai is not using their ulti spell.
-Took the chance to add some little details on the current terrain.

Last edited:
Level 18
-Sometimes I get stuck cause of the knockback, but well, happends :)
-at some levels I can't choose the ability to learn, have to wait the next level, its the ulti I think
-A skill which increases attack speed for a while would be EPIC
-A Rush abiliti would be epic too!
-the leap strike would be more useful if doesnt make you go back to the starting position, that would be much more useful
-no team mode D:
-the worst thing is that you could even be the most skilled person on earth, but you'll never win 2v1
-and the most annoying one is the camera: I don't understand anything with the angle you've choosen, since I use the minimap a lot

This were my suggestions, overall you did a really good job on it, 4/5

Level 28
-Pathing issues, i'm already working on it I also notice them when playing with the ai, some ai are wandering outside the playable area.
-There will be a new spell to be added, most likely on 1.3(if it happens that I have to release a 1.2.2 if there is some minor things to be done.)
-Items are coming on future versions
-Same as above so no need
-Looks like you didn't get the concept, you can dodge using this spell, but I don't want you to have some easy escape so you'll have to go back on your position.(and if I let them just go, there will be a huge problem about the pathing.
-I don't like team mode, hard to balance, just take a look Chaos Arena, its a big bust.
-For some reason I can :D
-Terrain problem, default camera suck and I don't want to remake the whole terrain just for the camera on the minimap. I'm also planning to cover the mini map so no argument here I guess.

Thanks for the feedback.

Level 28
^
Yeah, that is why practice makes perfect and knowing how to time your spells is necessary for OotF and you really can't team up with others that much since almost all the spells are aoe.

You can still take a 2-4 kills on one clash if you just out think other players. Sometimes ksing is necessary too. Its a free for all after all.

And worry not there is a plan for another hero on future version! But I have to think of this for a while, everything need to be balance first.

Level 30
tested it and somehow it was epic and the good use of AI, the terrain and fun to use, however I may only review version 1.2.1 + AI since your going to make a new version for this, anyways I'll approve for now and make up my review after I sum up my testings :)

EDIT: I'll change the rating after my review is stated :D

Level 28
Thankies ;D

Anyway will take the opportunity to show you guys the designs i'm planning for the 3rd patch of the terrain. Basically this part will resemble a village or something like that. For now, i only finished the design of the strucutures/buildings and that statue will also be scattered on the terrain and maybe even be applied on the whole terrain.

EDIT:

Someone might notice that you can change team, it is not a part of the plann, i just forgot to set it up, but anyway I don't like to release a 1.2.2 version just to fix a minor stuff like that. So just expect it on 1.3

Attachments

• design.jpg
    design.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 678
Level 28
Also the last spell to be added for the White Knight is done, its kinda eye candy since i use Judash's model for the effects. But this one is kinda interesting.

Since its a aoe spell that deals damage every second, but as you continue to press F1(which is selecting your hero) the damage increase and the damage interval become faster. Means spam that F1 when using the spell and you can deal tons of damage in 6 seconds! Though this one is a channel and cannot be cancel for balance purposes.

Level 7
This is how maps should be made, with emphasis on both gameplay and atmosphere. Excelling at one but not doing well at the other is unfortunately too common these days. 5/5

Level 28
Thanks guys! Anyway 1.3 should be out today or tomorrow, i already finished the terrain and I just need to do some minor stuffs.(actually i just terrain half of what I actually plan to terrain but lets just assumed that there will be a 4th patch for the terrain on the future to finish it since i'm kinda tired of terraining non-stop)

Anyway here are some screenshots, if you tried 1.2.1 you can see the huge expansion on the terrain(well you can still take a look on 1.2.1 as longs as i haven't release the 1.3 yet).

EDIT:

1.3 is out

Attachments

• Pic 9.jpg
    Pic 9.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Level 4
Hey, just founded a bug,

Sometimes when you are leaping and got stunned, your actions disappeared, therefore leaving you hopeless.

Level 18
I have to say one thing, not to offend, just saying what I think is right saying, as a mapmaker, in my thought, needs suggestions and critics, no "great map" or such things.

Well, the knockback sistem is not epic.

I mean, when you attack, you knock your enemy back.
When the enemy attack you, he knocks you back.
The AS, even for different levels, is very similar, so I didn't feel the knockback so much.

A very nice would be making it that when you knock the enemy back, your hero advances.

That would be something really difficoult I know, but if you could do it (some changes to game costants would be necessary) that would be.. wow!

I'm not saying you made a bad work, I like the map and I play it often, it's just my opinion, and I thought that sharing it would be the best thing to do.

Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Level 30
Well, the knockback sistem is not epic.

I think I'll have to go with the knockback system, you have tactics when it comes to that and you don't always rely on the normal attack and keep all the fight by just bumping to each other, you can use that knockback system as an escape situation or micro it to dodge a lot of skill spams

think of it like an mma match, you got pushed in the cage what do you do?, bounce back

Level 28
@z.ky

Thank you for speaking your thoughts, i think the arrival of the items will suffice since some items increases your AS. I have good faith on what this incoming items will do for the game. As I stated on the official site of OotF about the item.

oakofthefirefly said:
In future versions, items will arrive the game and they're probably the only thing that can change any situation that you think it is. I simply don't offer items that just add to your attributes, I offer items that can take over the game. Your item choice is the only thing that can make you unique to the other players.

Here is a great example of those items i'm talking about that I already applied for the incoming version 1.4

Soulflayer - Also known as the Ghostblade, this scythe allows its holder to rip a portal to the ethereal plane. Gives its holder bonus Attack Speed, Armor and allows its holder to banish the target unit into the Ethereal Plane, slowing it and making it take more damage from spells, but be unharmed by attacks. The banishes unit regains its speed over time. The holder can be banished as well.

and this

Ghostwalker - A cloak. Not just a regular cloak, but a fire-proof one! Gives its holder bonus Evasion and Magic Resistance. Additionally, if its holder does not move for 2 seconds, they become invisible, but become visible when moving again.

In short, items will be a game changer for OotF. Lets tell that you got 5 offensive spells and the 1 block spell and you bought item set like this:

-Boots
-5 other utility items.

That means you actually have 11 spells to use!

and on what Orcnet said

think of it like an mma match, you got pushed in the cage what do you do?, bounce back

My main purpose of the knockback system is to add a realistic feeling to the game since the usual vision of seeing heroes clashing and somehow look like they're not getting hurt is kinda boring now.

Thanks guys.

Level 28
I see my item ideas there :D
Well, you wont have 11 spells to cast if you have passive effect items.

The knockback is cool though, but maybe you could just add a sort of blood spill effect instead. It sometimes gets annoying. The "enemy gets knocked back you advance" could be another replacement for it.

Of course, your fancy ideas is always welcome.

there are currently 6 items made, 2 from Drunken 1 is a generic warcraft item(boots) and the other is mine. I think 10 item will suffice for 1.4 all item and their respective description will be available to read on the official website after the release of 1.4.

Release date: 2-3 days.

About the blood spill for the knockback effect, that was a nice idea.

Level 28
Version 1.4 is now live!

[TD]
Changelog:

[Major]
-8 new items:

Item Information can be found here: http://oakofthefirefly.freeforums.org/post5.html#p5

-Added "-kr 4" which the kill value is "80"

[System]
-Changed knockback effect to 'blood'. This makes the game Mature because of the Gore! >:D

[System]
-Added a damage counter

[Balancing]

-Night Glimpse additional damage per 'pressing F1'
Old: 5 damage
New: 8 damage

-Night Glimpse AoE
Old: 150

New: 190

[/TD]

Level 18
Thanks for replying back fast and dealing with the bug. You're awesome at Wc3 modding! +rep Also, I do not believe the -unstuck will solve the problem with the stun bug, though. Even after revival, my White Knight was still stunned.

Last edited:
Level 6
OK...so i played it many times and i enjoy....the AI is not very hard...but of course AI is not good as human...but i have some problem with the -unstuck...WHEN I TYPE IT....MY HERO UNLEARN ALL HIS SKILL!!.....and because of your knockback system...this will be use regularly and this thing is very annoying!....

The terrain is epic....but i have a problem with your terrain that is not really a big problem...

Your terrain is very 1000000 x better than dota....but it has something disadvancement..
I know you ask me [are you an idiot?] but really the the enviroment really makes my eyes TURN AROUND!...the red rocks...along with the dark enviroment makes me hard to play...my point is I CAN'T RELAX MY EYES...really...

But don't worry your map is still and epic...my only suggestion is how about making it MORE BRIGHTER?....

Don't worry i am not angry..i just comment my feeling on this map..

Put some COLORS on the Death Message and pls. dont use COMPUTER KILLED COMPUTER...put some names because it makes me confuse...

HOOOORY!....PROUD TO BE PINOY...PINOY REALLY ROCKS!....

Level 28
Hmmm yeah your skills are all unlearn because when you use that command, your hero will be remove on the game and replace with another one. This is the only solution for that perma-stun bug. This have no connection on the knockback system because I made sure that the pathing is 100% working.

About the terrain a playable map. This small project started not because I want to make a map, but because I want to terrain and this is the theme I chosen because its the terrain theme on the cinematic that I'm making. There is nothing I can do to brighten it up because of the materials I have and bright materials will clash on the current materials I have and that means if I have to brighten things up, I have to remake the terrain. >.>

Anyway all those things about the color etc will come on future version.

Thanks.