• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Norj'Hal Elves Campaign v40

Reactions: A2D
Campaign by: Captain Picard

IMPORTANT (Reviewer Edit)

• There is an issue related to the filename's length (.w3n). If it is too long, the transition between maps will not work on patches beyond 1.21. So, to solve this, simply rename the campaign once you download it to something shorter like HalElves.
  • Thanks to Warseeker for solving the mystery!
  • Discussion thread: Fixing Old Campaigns
Contents

Norj'Hal Elves Campaign v40 (Campaign)

Reviews
Bob27: An excellent campaign. I enjoyed playing this campaign a lot, as it was interesting, fun, and had some excellent quests. I especially enjoyed the last quest of the campaign. Approved.

M

Bob27: An excellent campaign. I enjoyed playing this campaign a lot, as it was interesting, fun, and had some excellent quests. I especially enjoyed the last quest of the campaign.

Approved.

Level 2
This is the best custom campaign that i have ever played, a sequel is a must Captain Picard!!

Level 4
Good campaign, but some suggestions:
- easier difficult please, especially at the beginning, you should use more low level and less creeps on
- its getting sucked when you can creep for nothing but gold when you are lv 10. Suggestion: u can go over lv 10, like in TFT bonus campaign u can improve your skills l8er with skill points
Also the creeps should drop items, not only gold/souls
give average items to high creeps with a high chance to get, and a low chance to get a good item
- The sentinel dont have backpack
- on metalworks + archers ward the player should also be allowed to mix another items which they have found (claw of the attack + x for example) and meld essences with more another items, weapons and so on...
- maybe make a "humpback" unit

but all in one a good campaign...

Level 2
Great campaign, I would have liked it if you had used unique models for the Norjhal elves, not just the same Night elf and High elf units mixed together (which doesn't really look right.)

Level 4
sorry dude. i didn't like it :\ i'm really sory
it's just more plot than fun
but the cinematic was really cool :)

Level 23
My second favorite campaign! 5/5
Too bad that there is no sequel.
Great story line, I even imagine how the second part of the campign will be.

But it would be cooler if he had night elven buildings and high elven and human units.

Level 1
i dont know if that is a bug or what but when i come to the...forgot name but here is it titled as chapter one-A and want to get out then the kick me to the main menu...it happens even if i kill the dreadlords if someone have a clue pls help

Level 1
It's really great, but I am at the step on runes part and I stepped at all, but nothing happened.Do I have to step at everyone at once?

Level 2
Hello everyone,

I hope Cpt. Picard is reading this here.
The campaign is simply awesome and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.
Does anyone know if this project will have a sequel soon? Or is it dead...?
It would be nice if anyone could tell about if there is still development going on
Thank you.

Level 6
Very much enjoyed this campaign, great terrain and quests. Challenging and fun, not so challenging that it's impossible, which is good.

Level 1
It's due to the patching

i dont know if that is a bug or what but when i come to the...forgot name but here is it titled as chapter one-A and want to get out then the kick me to the main menu...it happens even if i kill the dreadlords if someone have a clue pls help

If I remember correctly, the latest patches prevent mods from altering the game files.

To correct this, get Warcraft III Version Switcher, follow the instructions, get the appropriate patches,
then switch to version 1.20 ( you may also try slightly later versions to see if they work as well )

You may also need to start a new game.

Now you can cross the shimmering boundaries back into the main map ;)

( If you find that the latest maps do not work properly, you probably need to switch back to the latest version XD )

Level 3
If I remember correctly, the latest patches prevent mods from altering the game files.

To correct this, get Warcraft III Version Switcher, follow the instructions, get the appropriate patches,
then switch to version 1.20 ( you may also try slightly later versions to see if they work as well )

You may also need to start a new game.

Now you can cross the shimmering boundaries back into the main map ;)

( If you find that the latest maps do not work properly, you probably need to switch back to the latest version XD )

same happening to me also
iam using new version 2.6 i guess still happening:ogre_frown::ogre_frown:

Level 3
Originally Posted by mracek
what i do

Level 2
Hello every one

This map was completly awsome. the ground is too beautiful and Heroes and there talents are perfect.

But I have a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig problem.

When I go to cursed ... (forgot name of those big and white forblogs who are cursed and u should kill or heal them) map and then want to come back to main map, The game kick me out of game and I become back to main menu. act I.

Is that a bug? Come on...

mrack have that problem too. So I don't think thats systematic.

Last edited:
Level 2
That is one phantastic campaign, in its existing parts on par with the TFT bonus campaign ("To tame a land"). Unfortunately it has bugs. Saving doesnt seem to work properly (probably a version/patch issue), also when I leave a secondary map through those shimmering borders to return to the main map, I just get kicked out of the game back into the menu.

Googling for "norj'hal" pointed me to an interesting link from as late as 2011 by Captain Picard himself where he posts a new version of his campaign. Unfortunately none of the download links seem to work.

Does anybody have more information about it?

Level 2
After I patched the game down to 1.20e the bugs seem to be gone mostly. No more trouble changing from zone to zone, however sometimes not all of my units get transported together with my heroes.

Have to say that some of the quests are really hard. Maybe I need to gain a couple more levels before I can finish them.

At the moment Im stuck at the city of the dead. I have to put lumber in those 8 braziers but with every brazier more undead units swarm me. And even though Im at food limit (14/15) I cant keep my units alive anymore against that shit ton of frost wyrms homing in on me. Did like 15 attempts with different tactics, no chance to hold up against 20-30 of those guys plus assorted ground units attacking me. My heroes are level 10 right now but I guess I have to leave this place and do other quests before I can beat this.

Still a ton of fun to play.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Those that enjoyed the TFT orc campaign will surely have loved this one. It also has an interesting story premise.
However, there is something preventing it from being all played.

beginning area:
-that hunter is kind of powerful with Ensnare that costs no mana and Entangling Roots
-the Priestess looks like a hero; it has glow
-I just used the Staff or Reanimation and the guy said he did not dare to :)
-the reanimated troll died during the scene with the Protector and those elves that came
-don't know how/why those Furbolgs turned on each other as they looked as a united group
-the Ward of Revival has a pretty wide range
-creeps respawn too quickly..
-how did Johl transmit the message to the princess from such a distance over the river?
-the Call of the Wild Polar Champion is too red; looks like he's reanimated
-it would have been better to just take four or more than one Vials, fill them and then return to imbue the bow instead of doing it one at a time...
-it takes too much for the bow to upgrade and there's nothing to indicate how long it takes; the only hint that it could be working is the buidling's animation
-the essence of the wolf appears again after the first upgrade with it
-the place where the player can hire troops is also named Archer's Ward
-the Starlets of Ezune are a waste of time find
-there's a white Magnataur that appears later on in the east; it might confuse players to think it would be the last from the summoners
-a hint/message should be given to the player to know that only the units near the entrance to another level will follow

volcanic area:
-why would only the Wendigos be saved and not all other creatures? I know gameplay; yeah, yeah, they're intelligent too...
-when meeting the owl, the summoned Furbolg was selected during the cinematic mode
-the Obsidian Golem is a hero (level 10; has no glow)
-it's easy to kill the Revenant sending Furbolgs and using the bow's magic; even if he changes location, the minimap ping compromises his location...
-the princess was selected during the cinematic where the demon appears out of nowhere (how/what!?)
-so, Revenants are not just undead, they're also elemental?
-what? humans/elves living there? I mean still alive? Is she a witch/sorceress too?
-so, they captured the elf to torture him, that's why they didn't kill him?
-his wife and horse were going all by themselves through enemy territory
-the Staff of Revival can be used to heal the Wendigos
-the Priest was selected during the Wendigo end cinematic scene
-the player name of the blue Revenants is Player 2
-the orb's level is predecessed by a "-" and is not contained in brackets like the level of other items
-the owls in the volcano stopped moving, probably because of a cinematic scene pause
-Rose of the Dead can't be dropped. It blocks an inventory space and so forces the player to finish the quest about it first

-Ward's revival is pretty powerful
-there were still elementals and wyrms attacking the Blood Mage in the scene after the demon was killed
-wait, when did that history happen? Orcs weren't under the legion's service during the War of the Ancients
-the aerial blue units are paused (even their animation) for a good couple of seconds before they start moving
-did the druid use a barrel of explosives on Nether Drakes!? Dude... I doubt they (the elves) even had something like that
-the druid followed Aszhara through her base where her troops were just standing like British Queen's Guards
-the par was killed and revived by the Ward which was not in the middle of the volcano where the selected princess talked to a "ghost"
-exiting the level, the campaign menu is shown; too bad...

3/5 due to bugs/incompatibility.

EDIT: replayed this on 1.30.4. It works quite well.
Boy that City of the Dead defense :|; and the ending evacuation was just too long.
Anyways, 5/5.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Description update:
  • There is an issue related to the filename's length (.w3n). If it is too long, the transition between maps will not work on patches beyond 1.21. So, to solve this, simply rename the campaign once you download it to something shorter like HalElves.
  • Thanks to Warseeker for solving the mystery!
  • Discussion thread: Fixing Old Campaigns

Level 23
I thought this campaign was really well made.

Some points I want to mention:
The maps were well designed, with lots of optional quests.
The respawn rate for creeps was really fast, and some bosses were really difficult to defeat due to the respawn rate (Lava boss revenant/Demon especially).

The thing that stood out most about this is how you used a special type of English to write this in. You essentially made your own variation of english, not in the same nature as middle age English, but another kind, which I think must have taken so much time to actually implement into an entire campaign. I also think I recognize it from somewhere, but I cannot identify it. I know this sounds silly, but if you ever come back, could you explain to me what "twist" you added to the grammar in your campaign, because you are 100% a native speaker, but you have added something to it that makes it one of the most unique things I have ever seen.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
The respawn rate for creeps was really fast, and some bosses were really difficult to defeat due to the respawn rate (Lava boss revenant/Demon especially).
Did you choose the recommended 100% respawn rate at the beginning? Because you can choose lower than that. I guess it'll affect how fast you can level up by rinsing and repeating.

Level 9
I don't know. Why do you need that? Is there a secret somewhere? It's a Rexxar type campaign...

Yeah how do you get to the trolls hiding the elves? How do you get to the mamoter or whatever thats holding the orb. I did use iseedeadpeople to see the entire map.

Also i can't seem to hold lumber in my inventory? When i buy it its immediately used.

Level 9
The issue is technical. If you play it before the 1.21 version you will notice how great the quality. This is the rexxar type campaign on par with Blizzards quality. Easy 4/5. However if you play using the later version there are some large issues. Places impossible to reach. Game can't go further after a certain point. Its kind of sad the techinical issue is the problem.

Overall a 3/5 Easy but if you do play the game before 1.21 you might give it a 4/5.

Level 5
Yeah how do you get to the trolls hiding the elves? How do you get to the mamoter or whatever thats holding the orb. I did use iseedeadpeople to see the entire map.

Also i can't seem to hold lumber in my inventory? When i buy it its immediately used.

I don't know if you solved that issue, but I'm currently playing this campaign and don't have those problems, I'm playing on v1.21b,

• The trolls hiding the elves can be solved by using the autopathing of the units, just click where the mission is and the units will reach the spot by themselves
  • The problem with the lumber I don't understand, do you buy the lumber but it stays on 0? or it adds to your reserves?
  • The mammoth is easy, the beast will constantly try to stay in its spot, being the beast inmune to magic, I used my mages to block the path of the beast, therefore blocking the beast and unable to attack my units.
Hope this helps, I don't know I like this type of campaigns, I always explore every corner, since I have a lot of free time until september I can help you

Level 9
I don't know if you solved that issue, but I'm currently playing this campaign and don't have those problems, I'm playing on v1.21b,

• The trolls hiding the elves can be solved by using the autopathing of the units, just click where the mission is and the units will reach the spot by themselves
  • The problem with the lumber I don't understand, do you buy the lumber but it stays on 0? or it adds to your reserves?
  • The mammoth is easy, the beast will constantly try to stay in its spot, being the beast inmune to magic, I used my mages to block the path of the beast, therefore blocking the beast and unable to attack my units.
Hope this helps, I don't know I like this type of campaigns, I always explore every corner, since I have a lot of free time until september I can help you

Thanks man but i did select behind the trees and they just couldn't understand how to get there. I do think its cuz of the version im using.

Level 5
Greetings!

I... LOVE THIS!

Really reminds me of Rexxar Campaign from The Frozen Throne.
Though, I had to say I struggled a bit with finding the orbs.

And what's with that one orb located at the middle of the lake? My heroes can't even collect them e_e

All in all, a very fun map.

RECOMMENDED!