• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kalimdor Islands

Presenting:

CoverKalimdor_zps6f5574e2.jpg

Story:

Dragons plague the land of the Dwarves. The Demi-Beast races - razormaines, kobolds, tauren and furlong - fight it out with the Gnolls. Ghosts inhabit the ancient fortress of the Blood Elves. The Trolls fend off a fel orc invasion. Goblins seek to run the Naga out of their kingdom. The Blood Elves have returned to claim their ancient harbor fortress and find the peaceful waters of the South Kalimdor sea are no longer so safe. Secure your lands and prepare to engage in combat on land air and sea.

Features:

Five races converge in this multi-player third-person altered melee world.

1. Full Naval Combat.
2. Fully functional 3rd person camera system.
3. Working gate system for Blood Elf base.
4. Starting Hero Selection Screen at game start.
5. Arrow Key Movement system.

Hire more mercenaries than Blizzard ever dreamed of. Soar through the skies and ride the waves. Other special features include, Dwarf Monk - Scout Flare (a fast moving flare that can zoom across land or water revealing enemies around the map. Dwarf Guard (can switch weapons from Melee to Ranged). Gnoll Ranger can cast Pig Roast, which starts a campfire and feeds (feels) weary troops. Troll fire pits also heal the injured trolls like moonwells heal the night elves. Traitor's Pub allows player to hire peons of all races including the Naga Murloc Slave. This allows every player to build any race in the game. Also, on the shores of each island there are hostile camps. Each island has a unique enemy race, and a corresponding hero. On the Gnoll, island the Tauren camp can sell tauren and their Chieftain Caine. The three Hero limit is still enforced, but food supply is limited to 75 to lengthen the games (mass ultimates = gg). On the troll's island, the fel orc's have set up an base camp at the site where thier ship ran aground. Here, you can hire Fel Grom Hellscream or Warlock mercenaries. The Draenei inhabit the Dwarven kingdom, allowing them to purchase Akama after he is defeated. Blood Elves use two types of workers - Standard Elf workers training at the Arcane Hall, and Blood Wisps spawning from the High Elf Mistress. The her highness can change into owl form. These flying Blood Wisps create additional buildings and warriors with a more feminine appeal. Each island has several unique mercenary camps which allow the purchase of amphibious warriors. The mercenaries in the Kalimdor Islands are much more powerful and plentiful than standard Blizzard maps. The Goblin player will see the Custom Goblin user interface from: CRAZYRUSSIAN

Screenshots and Video:

Goblins:
The Goblins have finally organized and now their mastery of science positions them to defeat the Naga. Their mechanical abilities give them surprising advantages. The goblin sniper's range exceeds any other unit and all goblins are capable of obtaining night vision goggles and ultravision. Watch out for the Goblin Spy, his clandestine secrets allow him to sneak into your base and set it blow. Besides having sneaky warriors like the Sniper and Sapper, the Goblins would not be complete without a full range of robotic equipment. The Warbot, Goblin Blaster, Heavy Tank, and War Zeppelin provide the Goblins with strength to compliment their wits.

GoblinScreenshot_zpsf24ca2e5.jpg

Trolls:
Trolls struggle for control of their own jungle. These agile warriors have been overlooked in the past but now stand to take their place among the most feared of races. Since their revolt from the Orc ranks, the once mysterious Trolls have tamed the jungle beast and become a quite formidable. Adept casters boast the strength of the troll warriors who are mainly ranged fighters. The plunderer earns money for the race with every attack. The Manticore devours its prey and casts finger of pain.

TrollSrcennshot_zpsfb9b4174.jpg

Blood Elves:
Blood Elves enjoy great wealth on their fortified island but are surrounded by hostiles. The High Elf Females can summon blood wisps to build additional structures for the Blood Elves to create new units. Use Blood Wisps to conserve the island's limited lumber supply. The Blood Elf Dreadnaught is the largest warship in the seas and can fire fat-moving, deadly torpedoes. The Ark of the Arcane, a mechanical ultimate, heals, repair, replenishes mana, and can sell and use items - floating across land or sea, this unit, though without attack ability, can bolster a force like no other.

BloodElfSrcennshot_zpse68ba560.jpg

Dwarves:
Dwarves hate dragons and dragons plague their lands. The scourge of the Dreanei do as well. While Dwarf footmen are mighty indeed, their spirited religious order should not be overlooked. Dwarven Andercaster steel is the strongest substance from here to Lordaeron. The Dwarves have also built a grand airship for their navy; the Cloud Cruiser. Fly with this mighty and proud race to victory by utilizing their strength and determination.

DwarfSrcennshot_zps4d796c3d.jpg

Gnolls:
Gnolls clash with the other demi-beasts for control of their island only to learn that peace is evasive. The Gnoll senses are keen and their stamina noteworthy but are they ready to face the great forces which move against them. The wild Gnolls fear no magic. Many of the Gnoll abilities have disenchanting effects. The Mystreaver possesses the power of weather calling down monsoons to attack, clouds to quiet towers, and tranquility to heal wounded Gnolls.

0_zpsf2976d04.jpg
Mephestrial's Gnoll Pack

Video:
Goblin Brawler goes creepin'

Dwarf Geomancer rocks the misty mountains

I wish I had a better screen capture program :)

Credits:

Special Thanks:
Extra thanks to Drogenhoernchen for his advise, inspiration, map testing, help with triggers, Scout Flare, Bandit weapon switching ability, (custom Dwarf) healing spell, gate-open trigger, and all around being a great mentor.

Models:

DwarvenMountaineer by Norinrad
Dwarven axe thrower by Frankster
DwarfCrane by Ket
DwarfMage (Cleric) by Sellenisko
VikingLongHouse by olofmoleman
Cathedral by takakenji
BasicHouse (dwarf) by Ergius
WorgenManor by Sellenisko
Hero Geomancer by Tranquil
Tower by unknownczar

Goblin Brawler by Rizz_Boomer
Goblin_Cyberslayer by Vermillion Edict
GoblinAdventurer by Deolrin
Goblin Sniper by WILL THE ALMIGHTY
FlyingMachine by Gyrosphinx
Goblin Base (AmmoDump) by Ultimata
Temple of Boom (mill) and Junkyard by donut3.5
Goblin Alter and Barracks by Burning_Dragoon5
Goblin Steamroller and Junkyard also by donut3.5
goblin airfield by RightField

mag'har (Troll) barraks by forgotten_warlord
Jungle Troll - Altar of Blood by Deolrin
Troll Enforcer by Lord_T
Trollmage by Nasrudin
Troll trapper, Shaman, and preistess by Cavman
Stone Troll Boarrider by Ket
DarkTrollShadowMage (Firehunter) by Bart_Illidan
DarkTrollWorker by takakenji
Dark Troll Totemic by AnemicRoyalty
Troll Enforcer by Lord_T
Primal Torntusk by Cavman
TrollManticoreRider by Uncle Fester
Beast Pit by Callahan

ENTIRE Gnoll Pack Created by Mephestrial

BloodElfValkyrie by Uncle Fester
HorsebackArcher by kaycei

Skins:

BloodElfSentry and Warden by 67chrome
CheetahRider (Huntres) by GreyArchon
Goblin User Interface by MiniMage and CRAZYRUSSIAN
Scarlet Crusader by CloudWolf

Icons:

Blood Elf (Red) - LumberMill, Blacksmith, Aviary, Sanctum, Alter of Blood, Huntress/Naisha, all created/modified by Legal_Ease
Warden and Shardis (enchantress) by 67chrome
Brawler by Rizz_Bommer
BTNMountaineer by Norinrad
BTNDwarven axe thrower by Frankster
BTNDwarfCrane by Ket
BTNGoblinAgent by Huinipachutli
BTNCRflyingchairGOBLIN by CRAZYRUSSIAN
BTNGoblinFemale by Kuhneghetz
BTNBloodelvenWarrior by Frankster
BTNGoblinWarZeppelin by ikillforeyou
BTNCyberSlayer by Archangel_Tidusx
BTNClockwerkGiant by The Weird Human
BTNSkyRockets by Narandza
ATCWrench by Mr. Goblin
BTNLionsShieldOfCourage by JollyD
BTNGoblinHeroAviator by Marcos DAB

Cover Art by Jesse Atkinson

Special Thanks to Blizzard, Hiveworkshop.com and Wc3c.net for providing the software, tutorials and forums for sharing all of these creations.

Honorable mention to Umm_ aka BuckDharma for teaching me how to pwn noobs.

Author's notes:

If you find the third person camera frustrating, that's because its supposed to be harder. The idea is you are no longer a god and you will do battle on the ground. However, if you want to try this map with standard controls, I have posted it that way as well. See first comment.

Keywords:
Goblins, Trolls, Dwarves, Blood Elves, Gnolls, Melee
Contents

Kalimdor Islands (Map)

Reviews
13:24, 1st May 2013 Orcnet: a decent altered melee by using creeps as a steady race, good choice and use of islands as a strategic move and all, approved

M

13:24, 1st May 2013
Orcnet: a decent altered melee by using creeps as a steady race, good choice and use of islands as a strategic move and all, approved

Awesome. :)

Edit: Review emerges.

Review
Races are a bit balanced, I should say. But bad models(like the mounted archers) ruined the gameplay a bit. The screenshot only motivates people a bit to play the game because it is only done in paint. Use Photoshop or temporarily place those units together.

Rating: 3/5 Fine

Last edited:
Level 4
Great terrain , good races all good.

[EDIT] : this played well on my laptop, but on my desktop it crashed after loading. T^T

Last edited:
Level 28
Quite a few bugs left.

The Blood Elf upgrades are limited to the first level since you need a keep.
Several tooltips need changing (the BE blacksmith still mentions gunpowder, several Goblin, Gnoll and Dwarf buildings have different names or nonexistent units, Manticore Pit says it needs to be built in water...).
If you're going to keep the camera for the flying units, set it a bit higher off the ground.
Several units sell items, is that supposed to be the case?
Dwarf Frigates can't attack air.
The camera doesn't switch to third-person for the trolls.

Several units sell items, is that supposed to be the case?

Yes, most caster units sell items. Its to add to the general concept of making everything possible available. More Mercs, more races, more ships, more items than ever before! The items they sell also tend to match their ability. For example, Stormslayer sells a lightning crystal. Page sells a book (tome of knowledge), and so on. Thanks for the other comments too though. I can see you really played it +rep for the time you spent with my map. Thank you. I'm working on something else right now, I think has more promise. Should I make the fixes you mentioned? Do people really want to play this map? My next map is the same races but in a darker setting. Also the camera will be optional but if you use it, it boosts your heroes attributes. This way you can switch back and forth easier.

That damn BE Blacksmith. The BE Fordge is in the object editor, and has the proper upgrades, I swear I fixed that like 5 times.

Level 28
Frankly, if it was a more hero-centric map I could see the camera being more useful. But since this is an altered melee, it becomes useless in combat since you end up clicking on the wrong units or telling your heroes to move to the wrong place, if a unit is stuck you can't tell where (I lost a hero that way)... Maybe if you limited it to heroes only instead of regular units.

As for the items, well, I suppose it'll take a good deal of balancing. Somehow I don't feel the possibility of 3+ chain lightnings in a row to be very fair (I mean, sure, I'd use it against the computer, but humans complain more).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by darker setting. What I think you should do is implement an AI for all races.

Frankly, if it was a more hero-centric map I could see the camera being more useful. But since this is an altered melee, it becomes useless in combat since you end up clicking on the wrong units or telling your heroes to move to the wrong place, if a unit is stuck you can't tell where (I lost a hero that way)... Maybe if you limited it to heroes only instead of regular units.

As for the items, well, I suppose it'll take a good deal of balancing. Somehow I don't feel the possibility of 3+ chain lightnings in a row to be very fair (I mean, sure, I'd use it against the computer, but humans complain more).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by darker setting. What I think you should do is implement an AI for all races.

Dear Mr. Cleavinghammer,
You are very critical, but for some reason I love it. I'm not sure if its because you are tactful or because your points are right on the mark. I agree with everything you say and appreciate the advice. Many of the things you mentioned I have addressed in my newer version. haha, I love the quote "humans complain more." I really like the economy and group unit control strategy elemts to standard wc3 gamplay and I don't want to lose them altogether. I am moving in the direction of a hero-centric style game with this next release. I am trying to work on creating some auto-spawning dota-esk buildings to add some automation to the game, but I don't want to lose elements such as choice of build order and harvesting resources.

What do you mean about 3+ chain lightnings? I agree that would be OP, but how could any race obtain this ability? Also, do you have any suggestions for a good AI tutorial? I know nothing about AI, needless to say. However, I do learn quickly and would like to put it in the next edition.

Darker setting. I mean, it has a graveyard feel. Dark, wet, and cold. Also, the naval aspect is getting pulled for terrain and file size reasons. Would you like to see it? I would be very grateful for your input and would give you credit for map-testing. +rep. thank you,
Legal_Ease

Awesome. :)

Edit: Review emerges.

Review
Races are a bit balanced, I should say. But bad models(like the mounted archers) ruined the gameplay a bit. The screenshot only motivates people a bit to play the game because it is only done in paint. Use Photoshop or temporarily place those units together.

Rating: 3/5 Fine

Mounted Archer? Do you mean the hero model? What's wrong with her? The huntress skin, I messed up a little trying to shrink the file size, I lost an alpha channel.

Re: Paint - I actually did place the units together but then I thought it would look cool to squeeze them in and arrange snapshots. Well, I guess thats a fail. Oh well, I can try to make a better cover piece of cover art. Do you have any suggestions for free/open-source software? I can't afford Adobe Photoshop.

Level 28
Well, you have a unit that can produce a Thunderlizard Diamond cheaply enough and can cast Chain Lightning, and you can have three heroes. 4+ right there. Admittedly, it isn't cheap, but the potential is there. By comparison, the dwarf item is four times the cost for an infinite town portal scroll.

I experienced a crash too, the first time I tried to play with all slots filled. On all following games, I put myself as sole player and experienced no crashes.

Unfortunately, AI-wise I can do nothing but point you to the tutorial section and hope you'll find something there.

As for the models used, I guess most are good (though I'm certain there's a better choice that Arthas for BE paladin). I take issue with the icon for BE archers, which is clearly a mage.

Ok, I can't give you guys any more +reps. It won't let me.

@cleavinghammer;
I hate the Arthas model too. I think maybe, I'll just pull it. No file space to add anything more.

I had a crash as well, on bnet. What causes thins?

The archer icon, I thought looked like a Ranger, but I concede I'm no expert. I'm flattered that some one took the time to find these details. I will review this thread before finalizing the new edition.

@EliTe;
Thank you! I loved photoshop when I had use of it for free, its been years. I will update the art here.

Would either of you be interested in checking out the "beta" (in progress) version I'm working on now? or maybe playing it on Bnet to test it when the time comes?

Level 13
Comment

Map is epic, nice video, love it.

Terrain

Terrain is very good.

Gameplay

Nice gameplay, the camera triggers, rock, very neat map

Final Rating:

Terrain:5/5
Gameplay:5/5
Comment:5/5

FINAL RATING:
5/5 - EPIC MAP

Suggestions
-No suggestions

Thanks Twilight! I thought the camera was a little buggy. Its greatly improved on my next map White River Valley (camera turns on and off with arrow keys) and then even better on The High Road - AoS (camera turns on and off with ability). The non-camera version of this map is available as well (see first comment). If anyone wants, I can import the THR-AoS camera system into this map and update it. So far no one has asked.

Level 2
kalimdor Islands default camera doesn´t work with patch 1.26a for some reason ( when i try to play it the file doesn´t show up in the maps inside the game , but it´s on the maps folder of warcraft III )