• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Goblin Exploration 3.56

The project is now being continued, I have taken over the development, and will not stop working until I no longer can. I have many ideas for this map, and plan to use a large majority of them.

Thanks to you fans, we've now gotten over 16,000 hits and over 4,000 downloads. THANK YOU!

Status update. The map has been taken over by myself, Midnighters. I will continue to work on this map until I leave for basic training next year. I am currently planning on redoing the terrain, adding new heroes, and a few new systems in 3.6. Good luck in your Kalimdorian adventures, Goblins!

v3.6 PROGRESS:
Minimap Image
Building item return fix
New hero
New systems
New Commands
Unit balancing

This is Goblin Exploration Squad, version 3.56. It was originally created by rulerofiron99, then turned over to Hero_Lief, but he gave me permission to take it over.

The goal of the game can be many things; it usually involves killing enemy heroes or surviving the wilderness as you constantly explore. As of 3.35, there is even a new Conquest mode which lets you do quests. Unfortunately, though it's running, it isn't complete yet, so it's short. Expect updates to it sometime!

For once, F9 isn't useless. Even pros use it. It contains building recipes, credits, the COMPLETE change log, item recipes, and a starting guide, so check it out!

Version 3.56 is live!

New major changes:
Tinker Claws --> Electric Claws
Alchemists and Brutes can now use electric claws.
Two new units added - Factory and Sky Labs.

New commands:
None.

Hero updates:
Some balancing.

Other updates:
Loading screen.

Bug fixes:
Sleeping bag recipe fixed.

In order to submit bugs, please post them as a comment if they're simple things, but if there's a bug that's hard to repeat, be sure to get a replay of you doing it, and then send the replay to [email protected].

According to current rules and guidelines, I must inform you that due to mappers stealing, editing, and then uploading modifications of this map that THIS MAP IS PROTECTED.

Keywords:
Goblin, Exploration, Squad, Survival, Fun, Alpha_12, Hero_Lief, Dracolon, Treadhead, Midnighters, Doom, Team, rulerofiron99
Contents

Goblin Exploration 3.56 (Map)

Reviews
ap0calypse: Approved
Level 2
good map but before i dl this version is building bug fixed and can you test/play it in singleplayer?

Level 12
You can play it in single player, just put blue as a computer. Difficulty doesn't matter; it won't spawn.
Bounty Hunter, let me get that screenshot to you.

Version 3.4 is now live!

Edit:

3.45 was fixed, it's now 3.46. Download away.

Still a bit buggy, but we've figured out the problem and will have it fixed along with new terrain changes and MAYBE a new hero by 3.5; due next Monday (5/11/09).

Last edited:
Level 2
A bug I found

The sleep ability on the unit "caravan" is not working probably on the goblin.
Anyway I am happy to know that someone is still developing this wonderful map.
This map is fun to play, 5/5 is a must. It will surely become more popular if more original ideas add into game. The second best map I have ever played beside "Real life" by Moron RPG map. If anyone is new to this map I highly recommend them to try it out.

Level 12
The caravan's sleep ability is to be fixed in 3.5. In fact, it already is. I'm releasing 3.5 as we speak.

EDIT: Some problems were found with the new hero's special abilities. We're fixing them, no worries.

Last edited:
Level 2
will there be changes in the dessert cause right now its not comparable to the other places who seem to be made with more details also it would be nice if there would be something (like items) that can only be found once and you have to decide wich direction you want your tribe to go like build with it a special weapon or build some research stuff maybe some neutral troll tribe where you can trade stuff or so idk

Level 12
The version 3.46 has a place where you can trade. As for the teching aspects, perhaps.

EDIT: Okay, we're having trouble with the new hero, but we've figured it out. Unfortunately, the work to fix it takes A LOT of time. Expect it by Friday at the earliest.

Last edited:
Level 12
Ahh. I think I may know the problem. I'll fix it. It's a problem in the map optimization stage which locks it in the editor. I believe I may have checked off something which may block it in the game as well. ONE MOMENT. I'LL HAVE IT FIXED IN NO MORE THAN FIVE MINUTES!

EDIT: Fixed.

Last edited:
Level 2
I can't load the save of this game! The computer said the file is crashed. Is this game not support the wc3 save function. Then how can I save the progress?

Level 12
Calvinus, well-put.

We also feel that it just limits choice too much and makes it too easy. Plus, this way is cooler, and more original. We're working and will hopefully have it in 3.7 that if it fails to build, then you get the items back.

Level 2
you know i was just struck by this idea. i found it quit weird that the harvest roboter is far better then the best robot so either decrease his strenght or make a new robot wich leads me to my new idea there could be somewhere, maybe in the dessert, a broken goblin robot factory where you fight a robot boss and from him you get the plans for a better mk robot or harvester mk2. well just an idea continue your work awesome map i like the quest mode

Level 12
Calvinus, we try to stray from 'boss fights', because it makes it into an RPG, not a survival game.

Unable to save is a large problem we are having, and I must admit defeat. We don't know why it's happening.

The clockwerk thing we're fixing; every MK gets 1 more damage repair than the previous, or something like that.

Level 5
I have noticed a problem with the Merloc quest. It appears the bosses hide at night. A suggestion would be to create a dedicated "Merloc Leader" that doesn't sleep. That removes the confusion about "Wait, is THIS the right monster?" and removes the hiding, since the merloc will attack.

Also, it would be nice if there was a "You have finished the offered quests" at the end of the satyr quest, so we know there aren't any more. The first time I did it, we perpetuated a genocide on the satyr race unheard of. Goblin Zeppelins full of goblin shredders landing at even the smallest satyr and killing them everywhere. We finally decided that's where the end was when we couldn't find another Satyr on the map.

It would be nice if there were an updating quest revolving around this. The whole objective mode is the best game mode for getting newbies familiar with the map without annoying people who know how to play.

Also, couldn't arrival at some places constitute quest completions? Also How about a quest to build structures, rather than just spawning them? "The Goblin Command has sent you a zeppelin full of supplies" is more explainable than "Hey look, you have a city!"

Still, I am much impressed, dispite where I can see room for improvement.
4.6/5, which rounds up ;)

Level 12
We're working on Objectives mode, as I said. If you want to find out what we're doing with it, subscribe to the newsletter; that's where we reveal some hints. Sometimes, however, just flat-out facts.

Level 5
Absolutely awesome game! I'd like to give it a 5/5 but there's a few things that bug me:

-The classes are unbalanced. For example, the warrior can hardly take on a few murlocs even at high levels with a sword. The chainsawer actually appears to be the best fighter.
-Sleeping heals you!! This makes hunting completely obselete and removes a large amount of the whole 'survival' aspect.
-When you try to build something with another unit/building in the circle it just removes all the items and nothing is built.
-Some of the classes just seem a little unnecesary. Why not merge the builder and gatherer or warrior and pyromaniac? (Those aren't necersarilly serious suggestions).

That's all I can think of at the moment but here are some things me and a friend think would be good to add:
-A hunger/sleep bar, yes it is a little ITT. As your hunger/sleep bar decreases your stats/health/mana (such as strength and such) decrease temporarily.
-Gates. It would be way better to be able to upgrade walls to gates or just build then straight off, that five second thing is annoying.
-Perhaps other classes such as Ranger/healer which would help with fighting. I realise this is a bit too RP like so I think items that can be built like a bow/spear/magic staff would be a little more survivalistic. Obviously you would make the items equipable by clicking on them (or something).
-A store house. Something you can keep items in so things aren't so messy, perhaps somehow make it so that items can stack inside it and add multiple inventorys.

Again, all that comes to mind at the moment. I'll go play it again and try to remember a few more things. I'll update this post later!

Level 23
Well, classes are unbalanced, but not unnecesery.
Hunger/sleep bar idea is ok, gates could use some changing.
Food for health is a really good idea.
I think that there are enough classes, and their all made according to lore.
However the no fighting rule for trade princes and tinkers bugs me.

And yes the disappearing item bug, bugs me.

Level 5
Well my point was why bother being a Builder if you can be a Tinker? Tinkers do all the builder does (except fight) and more, or is there something I'm missing?
There might be issues with sticking to lore but I just don't get the point of having two really similair classes, another two being the Warrior and Brute.

Level 23
Yeah, now you have a point.
Builder and warrior, really are unneseserry classes.
Whats the differnce between brute and a warrior(except that goblins do have brutes, but dont have anybody worth giving the proud title warrior)

Level 5
I think it would be nice if food and life were separated. On my newest map I turn food into wood and their life drops on a periodic basis only if there is 0 food. You can still keep huts as healing factors that way.

I believe you could also set huts to work like fountains and have them only work on sleeping units, rather than instant healing. That removes the requirement for a sleeping cooldown. If that is done, I'd like to see the invulnerable tag removed.

Finally, it'd be real nice if your newsletter really had anything to do with GE at all. The only one that I got barely referenced GES. Sure you all are proud of your other map, but saying "get involved with our newsletter to stay with GES" and then having it about other projects? Not good at all.

Level 12
Okay, we're thinking about the warrior deal. Probably keeping him, however. He is much different than a brute. But the builders/tinker deal, we really need to upgrade the builders, or just remove them entirely. Same with the worker. They're all too similar.

Riptokus, we're not giving much info about GES currently because there's not much to give. I'm gunna work on this week's edition tonight, we didn't have one last week because the team was on a temporary hiatus. And there's not too much info about GES because, well, for the past few week's there haven't been many versions, only this same one; 3.55. We're working on 3.6, and there WILL be more information about it in this week's edition, I PROMISE. Also note the newsletter isn't 100% about GES, it's about the team that works on it. Including our other projects.

Level 12
I'm sorry, my computer had a SUPERVIRUS. I had to wipe it. I backed up the unprotected version and slammed it onto my backup drive just before I did the wipe. Unfortunately, after the wipe, my computer refuses to view the backup drive. So it needs to be fixed. Not much I can do for now, so don't complain.

Level 5
No no, I'm not trying to complain! If your computer is broken then obviously you have an excuse, it's not like it's your fault (well, kind of, you let a virus get onto your computer but that aside the point).
Not gonna complain I was just wondering why there haven't been any updates for a while.

Level 12
Excuse me? MY fault? It came through a Warcraft 3 map my FRIEND IRL shared with me when he was over at my house! D:

Anyways, Midnighters is working on his own shiz, I'm kinda busy IRL, Alpha is on a vacation, Treadhead is rarely on, and Dracolon... We haven't heard from in quuiiite awhile.

Level 5
Lol! Sounds like your having some trouble >.<. Hope things take a turn for the better and your team keeps making and updating maps, otherwise I'd have to skin you. Really though, I'm not angry :p

Level 23
Im telling ya, you only need to make the Test Mode and make the desert look more... real. There are no square deserts in the world. Especially on islands. Especially in forests. So if you make the shores normal and put some grass and trees on them(maybe give more details to the canyon in the desert).

Level 12
I know I know.

I just figured out how to fix the buildings not being built bug, like, OMGZORZ! I also figured out how to fix some small bugs and such. So, if I can somehow get this unprotected version out of my backup, you might be seeing a new version. Sometime. Don't nag me. D:

Level 12
Naw, I got my unprotected copy. I'm werking on 3.6 now. It's gunna have sooo many features. You should look forward to it :D