• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Floes of Abyss

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Alfagar
I just finished this map, and I would love feedback. And if I do a beginners mistake, please don't be harsh, this is my first post and map that I post. Just kindly correct me :D

The map features:
Lots of land floes connected by waygates, making the path to the enemy linear despite the awkward route.
Heavily guarded but easily accessible Goblin Laboratories to give the option to go by air and to prevent camping on the other end of the waygates near the starting locations, while making it hard to use early in the game.

Update 2 13/2 -10
floesofabysspreview.png

Original version 31/1 -10
floesofabysspreview.png

Update 2 13/2 -10
floesofabysspreview.png

Update 1 3/2 -10
One of the Succubus's in the first creep camp is replaced by a void walker.
Update 2 13/2 -10
Huge update!
The locations of the Goblin Laboratories and Merchants are now swapped to prevent one getting stuck on the starting island.
The Starting locations are moved up to make place for more building as well as giving workers a shorter distance to harvest tree.
Around half the trees from the little wood just below respectively above the Starting locations have been removed to make more building space.
A stronger barrier between the trees just below respectively above of the Starting locations and the Goblin Laboratories have been added.
Some minor terrain changes (weird abyss edges fixed, and just some more rocks added).

Keywords:
Floes, of, Abyss, melee, demon, demons, waygates, waygate, Goblin, Laboratory, Laboratories, quick, small, 1v1, one vs one, one versus one, one on one
Contents

Floes of Abyss (Map)

Reviews
14:47, 13th Jun 2010, by Rui: Strategy-wise, this melee map is crippled and monotonous. My full review goes in detail. Rejected with a rating of 1,5 out of 5.

M

14:47, 13th Jun 2010, by Rui:
Strategy-wise, this melee map is crippled and monotonous. My [self=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/floes-abyss-157493/#post1613502]full review[/self] goes in detail. Rejected with a rating of 1,5 out of 5.

Level 5
Not a bad map. It has some issues though. First of all, the abyss, which is such a prominent terrain feature, is hidden by walls of wood. Second, the creeping feels off somehow, but since I generally don't play melee that statement should be taken with a grain of salt. Third, I like being able to attack in unexpected ways. A Static slugfest isn't my idea of fun.

Finally, the playable map area of 67x64 shouldn't be in a map with a size of 192x192. That bloats the file size needlessly.

A decent melee, but melee isnt my thing. 3/5.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review for snorsorbet's melee map, "Floes of Abyss"

I want to start by mentioning exactly what Riptokus pointed out. It's silly to have a playable terrain of 67x64 on a 192x192 map.
I didn't enjoy this map. Each player has a portion of land at the corners of the map. The two middle paths are accessible by waygates. The only way into your enemy's base is through these waygates. On your way, you've got to be careful not to pass through the demon-guarded creep camps, which are quite difficult for your early army to handle. Resuming the situation, you'll most likely run into your enemy if you decide to rush, else he'll just be sitting in his base. And not without a reason, because, just like I mentioned, the creep camps are tough for your early army to handle.Waygates are something you should usually leave out because they're bugged. The AI I played against malfunctioned, for example.
The itemdrops are imbalanced taking the creep camp into consideration.
I'm sorry, but strategy-wise, this map is completely crippled and monotonous. My rating is 1,5 out of 5, rounding up to 2 (Lacking).

Level 3
Too bad you spent time reviewing this one, because I have known for a long tome that it is extremely flawed so I just left it behind. Are you sure that this is the map I sent you?

Thanks for taking your time though, your review gave me fresh motivation to fix the map and maybe even entirely remake it ;D