• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Durotar - Zone 1

Reactions: usfshihy
Before 2 years, I had the mad Idea to actually make the WHOLE World of Warcraft game in campaigns. The result was simple - alone work on such insane project, counting never finished even a simple melee map ... made me give up from it.

The map template is a high quality terrain with any eye candy pleasing stuff! It was optimized and cleaned from unnesesery objects. It could run even on the oldest machines! The campaign have just the Durotar starting zone only ... sorry. The map is NOT the exact way as World of Warcraft, I have made it with some changes to fit WC3 and to feel a bit different. I have included some mobs inside, but they all have fake names which probably are not what they should be from Durotar(I am alliance player in WoW).

What I want:
I dont care what you will do with the map, even if you think that you can finish it by yourself, or use them as another map. Its all your choice! I dont ask about money or donations or ANY BIG DEAL which will affect your way of life, just give me a simple credit ... Credit is not some future or western money, its mentioning the author name in your project.

I will probably update the campaign some time with more WoW template maps inside it ... if I ever get in WoW mood. xd

Credit goes to:
The hive for hosting this project
Blizzard for their WoW and World Editor

UPDATED: As ordered by her majesty Vengeancekael, I have removed ALL the ready made mobs! I have uploaded the map in non-campaign. Guess when Im finished with my durotar 6-12 zone, I will just make another thread about it ... Simple demo screenshots are included as well! Hopefully the map wont cause any "dangerous errors" now. -.-
Screenie 1
Screenie 2
Screenie 3
Screenie 4
Screenie 5

Keywords:
wow, world of warcraft, template, durotar
Contents

Durotar - Zone 1 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael Date: 2013/Jan/27 20:01:13 [Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact] Comment:Updated & Approved. [tr]Not Rated Rules

M

Vengeancekael
Date: 2013/Jan/27 20:01:13
[Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact]

Comment:
Updated & Approved.​
Not Rated
[tr]​

reportV2_animated.jpg
Rules

Level 6
I dont understand where is the problem in that? Except that I am not 3D modeler ... Since when size matters? xd

Edit:
Crap, I did it again! This was supposed to be named WoW Templates, but rushy me ... I will be thankful if any mod could please rename it. I think it makes confusion and people think, that this is a finished campaign project.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Well I am sorry to hear that. But I say all my opinion here from the pictures.

For an example you can see from "Screenie 4" that the mountains in the surround of the playable map are very unnatural. You have used only cliff tool. You should change the texture of the top of the mountains and use more variations of the cliff. Now almost all of it is "+1+1+1" height which means there is 1 more ground level after another. As it could be very more realistic by adding more height at some places. Now the top of the mountain is all flat at at same level. Also you should add environment more to the map. And use Height tool, not only cliff one.

Level 6
I never intended to make those areas visible for players... If its such a problem, then I will see what I can do to spam objects in there and decorate it. That ofcourse will happen after I finish the zone 2. You see, the point was to make optimized map from unnecessary stuff, which would increase map size and load on memory. Also, speaking of realism - THIS IS BARREN/SAVANNA-like ecosystem! Even tho in actual WoW(if you have ever played it) that place is like COMPLETELY dead, but I decided to make it feel more lively. Also, I hate how blizz and other random map makers spammed so much trees and other lively stuff in such barren areas like its some jungle. -.- If you find savannas boring, then just wait till I get to the tanaris tileset... Those maps will be like a 3 clicks(not exactly, just kidding) for me. xd Maps like Elwyn forest and human cities will be a pain in the ass for sure. Also, I dont understand why, but people always complain that those cliffs were unnatural or ugly or blablbla. In the balkans, where I live, there ARE such cliffs! They are from some sort of soft rock, and can be damaged easily even by naked hand!
Heres some examples of what is savanna.
http://room42.wikispaces.com/file/view/2.jpg/33517415/2.jpg
http://room42.wikispaces.com/file/view/savanna_2.jpg/33513641/savanna_2.jpg
Those are african savannas. Seems like wc3 tilesets were created to look exactly like them. Only the tree wall doodad seem to not fit in the realism, it kinda look more ... fat. xd

Last edited:
Level 10
Alright.

Basically, for a map that only has its terrain going for it I find the terrain in this map sub par.

I find this map lacking in elevation variance, and most of the terrain is made by spamming the rough tool.

The doodads are O.K, but to be honest I would consider them above average at best.

Here is a tip : Instead of using Blizzard cliffs (ugly, ugly things) use the Raise tool and put rock in the mountainous area. This gives better looking, more realistic mountains and cliffs.

Also, try to make more landmark type things, such as an interesting rock formation or an archway.

Overall the terrain is above average, but above average isn't saying much.

Level 28
The map template is a high quality terrain with any eye candy pleasing stuff

I'm sorry to inform you that this is not really the case. You lack some creativity on terraining, with bad use of the raise tools and weak manipulation of the terrain variation. Doodad position isn't bad but not also that good. Well I think this is good for a start but your description is really misleading. 20 hours of time, damn I could have make a higher quality terrain on that time.

Level 6
I'm sorry to inform you that this is not really the case. You lack some creativity on terraining, with bad use of the raise tools and weak manipulation of the terrain variation. Doodad position isn't bad but not also that good. Well I think this is good for a start but your description is really misleading. 20 hours of time, damn I could have make a higher quality terrain on that time.

So, you finally gave some normal review, after a whole year of waiting. Did you check the next maps of the chain as well?