• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Darkshire

Darkshire the village in Duskwood. Actually is under the control of the Alliance, that maintains a key point there. This village, like Grand Hamlet, has razed by the orcs during the first war. Now, rebuilt, Darkshire has met war again.

Update

- Greatly improved the terrain.
- Removed most of the Blizzard Cliffs.
- Added fog.
- Added weather effect.

Update (2)

- Covered the "holes" at the forests.
- Chnged the position of the Mercenary Camps and the Goblin Merchants.
- Added more creeps at the fountain of health.
- The creeps guarding the gold mines no longer have a short sight range.
- Smoothened the upper borders of the town. Also added rock tiles at the same area.

Update (3)

- Removed some creeps in the town.
- Changed positions of the Mercenary Camps and Goblin Merchants.

Update (4)

- Changed the drops of 2 creep camps.
- Added a Brigand to the Goblin Merchant creeps.

Special Thanks to Rui, for his feedback and suggestions.

Keywords:
Warcraft 1, Duskwood, Azeroth, Darkshire, Village, Human, Alliance, First War.
Contents

Darkshire (Map)

Reviews
15:49, 28th Jul 2008 Rui: Another nice melee map that wishes to restore a Warcraft 1 terrain. See my full review here.

M

15:49, 28th Jul 2008
Rui:
Another nice melee map that wishes to restore a Warcraft 1 terrain.
See my full review [self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=92628#post760660"]here[/self].

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Approved!

Rui's Review
[+]The map has a valid name, an author name, a site description, and is finished. And it is well categorized!
[+]Strategical starting locations.
[+]Doodads were well placed.
[+]The collision was friendly and you had a lot of space to fight.
[+]Creeps were decently chosen and placed, with the exception of a creep camp hugging the map's boundary. Aside from that, it's fine.
[+]The map contains Taverns and a good choice of neutral buildings.
[+]Resources are well distributed.
[+/-]Terrain has a nice shape, but it could have used some more work on elevation and ground texture variation. Like Grand Hamlet, you made an entire terrain with grass...
[+/-]Drops were not that balanced. The green creeps' drops were OK, though. What you should reconsider: the yellow creeps' items.

Great melee map, but it needs some work on the terrain.
My rating for this resource is 4/5 (Recommended).

If you have questions or complains, post on our Map Resource Moderation.
~Thank you for using the Hive Workshop

Last edited:
Level 3
Me and Rui tried this map out against several computers. The night elf insane built too close but thats not really a meele AI issue to compare. Perhaps you enabled a larger source of getting gold? The expansion was extremely difficult to obtain once the enemy took over their gold mines in the side centres.
Top mark from me, however.

P.S, it's not meet war once again, it's "met" war once again.

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Well, I tested this map using AMAI TFT, and it worked well for all the races. I think that the expansions gold mines are in good positions, however, I give you permission to edit the gold mines if you want. And sorry for the bad spelling. I'ts because I'm brazilian.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
----UPDATED----
-Changed the positions of some creep camps;
-Added some trees to the bases;
-Changed the itens of the orange creep camps;
-Corrected some grammar mistakes.

UPDATE (2)

- Greatly improved the terrain
- Removed most of the Blizzard Cliffs
- Added fog
- Added weather effect

Last edited:
Level 3
HFR has created an excellent map, with a gloomy environment that envelops you, a balanced layout, and correct creep drops makes “Darkshire” a very fun map to play.

The rain and fog do wonders for the environment, however if you look at the terrain too closely you’ll notice that it appears the tiles have been placed with no rhyme or reason, somewhat unrealistically. The creeps look homeless, like they don’t belong; they have no fires, no places to live in, and no objects that they have collected. There is little sign that the creeps have ever lived there.

The village also looks slightly abandoned no humans or livestock to be seen for miles. (Unless you count the four raccoons and four rabbits outside the village)

With a choke points and the high ground make it easy to defend your base. If you’re out numbered good use of the fountain with high ground or choke points can be used to turn the tide of the game in your favor. Everything appears to be symmetrical and fair. Except one little thing, the creeps at the expansion gold mine closest to teal’s start location are not set to camp, were all the other creeps are.

Whether running to get an item from the goblin shop, going to the Mercenary Camp to use up your extra gold, or healing your units at the fountain, you’ll never be sitting around to do on this map.

It is interesting to note that there are no red creeps, and there are pathing blockers to keep you from going to the fountain from anywhere but the path.

In my opinion, Darkshire is worthy of being in the ladder pool. HFR has made a good map that stands out from the other melee maps uploaded on the hive. You got my vote of 5/5! Impressive work, I’ll be sure to look at your other maps.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review for "Darkshire" (melee map by HFR)

"Darkshire", a melee map by HFR, is no doubt worthy to be on the Battle.Net ladder with a few fixes. I played this map with Evan1993 and his friend, ZapPew. It has improved since I last played it.
As soon as you start the game, you find yourself in an interesting environment consisting of a light fog and an average texturing work (I am not a fan of random placed tiles; like Evan1993 said, the ground textures look a bit random, yet in my opinion, it still didn't look all that bad).
The structure of the scenario is good. Like my gaming partner said above me, in this map you have an advantage when standing on your territory; you access the other team's land passing through a broken diagonal gate -- which is an acceptable choke point considering its size -- and climbing a cliff level (as we know, ranged units have a chance to miss when standing on lower cliff levels). The expansions can also be accessed through a diagonal gate, and since there are no Goblin Laboratories for you to fly your way there with a Zeppelin, it makes a place where you'll most likely find your enemy. That is something I like to see.I've got only a small suggestion for the author: use the Rock tile on the spots you placed pathing blockers on and smooth it a bit. Right now, it looks weird.
Right off my head, I can't think of a single melee map I have given a good grade for drops. That means either I have never reviewed one that deserved it, or it was long ago. "Darkshire" is one of the few maps or the only map I actually liked ALL the drops.To be honest, the Fountain of Health's guards didn't convince me much; they were too few and they dropped a lvl4 charged and a lvl4 permanent. But in this case I wouldn't lower the drops, but increase the number of creeps or place stronger ones.
And since we've spoken about neutral buildings, I guess I can jump to that point.
The map has two Taverns on town, two Goblin Merchants and Mercenary Camps for each team, and a Fountain of Health at the center.This is a placement I dislike. Usually structures such as Merchants or Mercenary Camps are placed between the team's starting spots, since the player is distant from his base and can't access his shops and unit training structures as easily. In this case, the Merchant will serve only for players to farm permanent items (Boots of Speed, Periapt of Health and Circlet of Nobility). The Mercenary Camp is acceptable if you've decided to fortify the gate choke point and are in dire need of more units, but it'd still be more pleasing to see it between each team.Finally, the Fountain of Health can be used against a team by pressuring it and quickly sending units to it for them to heal. This is not very relevant, especially considering the ''territory-advantage'' I mentioned earlier, and I'm not downrating the map because of this.
The trees have holes which you might like to fix. Press the P letter on your keyboard and it'll show you the pathing map. Make sure there are no uncolored spaces between the trees.
I recently read an article which stated creeps guarding Gold Mines shouldn't be on guard position to prevent players from using towers. In your map's case, perhaps it would be indeed wise to not set them to short acquisition range, due to the gate choke points {edit}(which players might like to fortify).
That is all I have to say, I believe. Sorry for the long review. I am sure you'll work on the things I mentioned, so I'll just give you the rating I initially planned (although I had to think and think before deciding) as soon as I see the map updated. That is a 4,5 out of 5, which makes a 5 (Highly Recommended). You deserve it for making one of the few melee maps where drops DON'T suck.

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Now this is a good and big review. Thanks for testing my map again. I'm sure that I'll fix at least the majority of these "bugs" and flaws.

Again, thanks for testing it (twice).

Edit: Updated it. You can read the changelog at the map's description.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Argh, HFR, the intention was not to put them all on a single spot >_< There are WAY too many creeps now. I suggest you move the Mercenary Camps to that corner after each team's "defensive" gate, where two Golems and a Wizard stand, if I'm not wrong. Find a place for the Goblin Merchants in town, but don't put them near the Fountain of Health, and make sure you don't block the ways for players to scout either (with builders).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Sorry for bothering you so much, but the last thing I imagined was that you'd put all neutral buildings on a single spot.
I've got an idea: maybe you can put the Goblin Merchants on the expansion Gold Mines place. After you pass the gate, there are some trees. Why don't you put the Merchant behind them, and increase their number a little, if necessary? The creeps remain, of course.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
They look good, HFR! :wink:

I've got a few suggestions: fix the Mercenary Camp guards' drops, a lvl4 (I think?) permanent is too strong. Put it at a lvl2 (or 3?) usable like another group you have outside the players' bases.
Additionally, add a brigand to the Goblin Merchant group and set the drop to a lvl2 power-up.

I don't know what else to say. You could have still improved the texturing work a bit, but bleh. Once you fix those things I mentioned, I'm going to give this map a 5/5. Excellent work! :smile:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Ok I'll do those things, but after some rest, as I'm pretty tired of editing this map. I'll do the things you mentioned and then... Well, it'll be finished.

Edit: Updated the map. Well, I think it's the final now. I'll not mess with the terrain, as randomic place tiles are up these days :p

Last edited: