• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alien Invasion v3.3

Alien Invasion
By: Tha_Cropolite & Radicool

Objective:

You've crash-landed on an unknown polar region. You and your allies must fight for survival until rescue arrives.

Screenshots:

River%20Compressed.jpg

Alien%20Base%20Compressed.jpg

Fight%201%20Compressed.jpg

Change Log:

v 2.3 - Release!

v 2.4 - Wood harvestor can now be hired with your Builder
- Difficulty now scales with player count
- Removed Treant wood harvestor
- Removed some animal units
- Reduced build times of animals and machines
- Balance changes

V 2.5 - Fixed Aliens not respawning properly
- Fixed rescue bug
- Added animal upgrade
- Added Q,W,E,R hotkey format
- Performance optimizations
- Balance changes

V 2.6 - Updated all cinematics
- Added new builder skin
- Balance changes

V 2.7 - Egg sacks now spawn Alien Maggots
- There can now be more than 1 Egg sack at a time
- Increased tower's hit points, damage & range
- Added HP regen to walls
- Reduced all towers build & upgrade time
- Reduced tower & unit's splash damage & increased AOE
- Increased Lumber Havestor cost to 75
- Increased Heal cooldown to 90
- Other balance changes
- Bug fixes

V 2.8 - Added Heal Station
- Removed Poison Tower
- Enemy eggs are no longer automatically target-able
- Increased Bomber Bird's range
- Changed idle worker's icon
- Balance changes
- Bug fixes

V 2.9 - Added lumber reward for rescueing allies
- Added minimap ping of rescue location
- Minor terrain adjustments

V 3.0 - Starting cinematic is now skippable
- Builders now start from the center of the map
- Replaced Priest's Heal ability with Rejuvenation
- Balance changes

V 3.1 - New map preview image
- Added some new ambient sounds
- Added new model to Alien Queen
- Added new model to Alien Gun Ship
- Renamed Alien Mother Ship to Alien Queen
- Renamed Alien Queen to Alien Destroyer
- Renamed Alien Gun Ship to Alien Wasp
- Alien Queen can now attack air units
- Balance changes

V 3.2 - New map preview image
- Added Alien Abomination unit
- Added new blood effects on aliens
- Reduced health of aliens with less players
- Updated some mercenary unit's ability descriptions
- Balance changes

V 3.3 - Added banjo custom sounds
- Changed time of day
- Replaced old ambience
- Added new ambience sounds
- Ambient sounds no longer play during cinematics
- Fixed lumber reward bug
- Other bug fixes

Credits:

This map is a fix to Alien Invasion by Tha_Cropolite.

Thanks To: tee.dubs, Gar'nogal, WaterKnight, AndrewOverload519, Judash

Why I Edited the Map:

I played Alien Invasion a lot when I was younger. Unfortunately the game had numerous memory leaks and
inefficient coding which caused large stutters and harsh lag. The aliens micromanagement system was severely
flawed and they frequently got stuck on the map.

I edited this map to fix the above issues, introduce some new balance and other minor changes which I thought
added to the game, whilst preserving the theme, feel and gameplay of the original.

Please Rate and Comment

Keywords:
defence, defense, survival, iceland, ice, snow, aliens, alien, base, snowland, horror, survivor, build
Contents

Alien Invasion v3.3 (Map)

Reviews
9th Dec 2014 Moderator: StoPCampinGn00b Alien Invasion by Tha Cropolite (Fixed by Radicool) REVIEW Alien invasion is a classic defense/survival map that can compare to fortress survival that has been fixed and improved by Radicool. The...

M

9th Dec 2014

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Alien Invasion
by Tha Cropolite (Fixed by Radicool)
navbits_start.gif
REVIEW
Alien invasion is a classic defense/survival map that can compare to fortress survival that has been fixed and improved by Radicool. The terrain is nothing to be disgusted by, and it's gameplay is self explanatory. This map is recommended for those interested in types of maps where you must build defenses against waves of AI controlled enemies. See below for a more detailed review regarding the map's quality.
navbits_start.gif
FEEDBACK
Gameplay:
The gameplay isn't exactly a complete reimagining of the original Alien Invasion, but it is however, an efficient fix with a touch of the new features.

Perhaps some players may be annoyed that there is no blink or gates to allow movement in and out of walls without destroying them, but it's part of the style of the map. It features standard-like abilities for the enemies and allied units, but they are all working. The compensating difficulty feature depending on how many players there are is a great fresh new idea, but I struggle to see how a lone player could manage to prepare enough before the first wave, in where they die so quickly not giving the player a chance. If the map is not designed for single player, so be it, but it might just be better to allow the game to be winnable in single player to receive more popularity for a map like this that isn't so popular.
Visuals:
The terrain, doodads, and other visuals aren't displeasing to look at, but it isn't enjoyable at the same time. This map has acceptable and average terrain.​
Miscellaneous:
It would be cool to see more imported content. Hive's flying ship model would fit so much more than a regular flying battle ship.​
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
Map approved with a 3/5 rating (A little on the higher side of 3 stars). Some may ask, isn't this map stolen? Well, as informed by Ralle, maps of 'older age' may be edited and uploaded without permission if the original creator is inactive.
navbits_start.gif
FAQ

[COLOR=white

Map Making Related

[COLOR=white

[COLOR=white

] How can I get my map approved? Learn here.
Where can I get world editor assistance and find tutorials? Here.

Forum Related[/COLOR]]How do I navigate the Hive Workshop? Learn here.
What does reputation mean at the bottom of my profile? Learn here.
Where can I discuss a problem only with the staff and/or higher administrators? Here.

[/COLOR]
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Level 16
When dead, and your teammate 'rescues' you, are you supposed to lose control of the unit and give it to the savior? That's what happened and I figured it was a bug.

Yeah that's a bug. I've just fixed it. Thanks.

Do you have permission from Tha_Cropolite you can show me?

This game is really old. The creator is not present on any Battlenet servers I have visited and no contact information was shared inside or outside his map that I'm aware of. I have left his name on the game and only mentioned me as a "fixer" within the credit list after the original creator was mentioned. I'm not trying to receive any major credit for editing his map.

If we want to get technical, according to the guidelines of map submission, his map should be rejected for not meeting "Efficient Triggering" and to some degree; "Average Quality" standards as mentioned in the map submission rules. I'm just trying to bring his map up to standard so others can enjoy his map without it crashing their computers.

Please consider this before rejecting due to missing permissions.

Level 32
His map is indeed breaking many rules, but the new rules were posted in 2013 and they were not valid, or even existing in the time it was uploaded. If I choose to approve this, I would have to approve all the others like it. Moderators in the past have been putting an emphasis on that rule and rejected ones that break it. For the time I've been here, it's always been a strict rule to have clear permission for editing resources.

My decision isn't final, but for now I will keep it a rejected map. Feel free to post more, maybe if you have a better reason you can convince me to change my mind.

- SCN :cgrin:

Last edited:
Level 32
(not so lengthy) Review!

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
Alien Invasion
by Tha Cropolite (Fixed by Radicool)
navbits_start.gif
REVIEW
Alien invasion is a classic defense/survival map that can compare to fortress survival that has been fixed and improved by Radicool. The terrain is nothing to be disgusted by, and it's gameplay is self explanatory. This map is recommended for those interested in types of maps where you must build defenses against waves of AI controlled enemies. See below for a more detailed review regarding the map's quality.
navbits_start.gif
FEEDBACK
Gameplay:
The gameplay isn't exactly a complete reimagining of the original Alien Invasion, but it is however, an efficient fix with a touch of the new features.

Perhaps some players may be annoyed that there is no blink or gates to allow movement in and out of walls without destroying them, but it's part of the style of the map. It features standard-like abilities for the enemies and allied units, but they are all working. The compensating difficulty feature depending on how many players there are is a great fresh new idea, but I struggle to see how a lone player could manage to prepare enough before the first wave, in where they die so quickly not giving the player a chance. If the map is not designed for single player, so be it, but it might just be better to allow the game to be winnable in single player to receive more popularity for a map like this that isn't so popular.
Visuals:
The terrain, doodads, and other visuals aren't displeasing to look at, but it isn't enjoyable at the same time. This map has acceptable and average terrain.​
Miscellaneous:
It would be cool to see more imported content. Hive's flying ship model would fit so much more than a regular flying battle ship.​
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
Map approved with a 3/5 rating (A little on the higher side of 3 stars). Some may ask, isn't this map stolen? Well, as informed by Ralle, maps of 'older age' may be edited and uploaded without permission if the original creator is inactive.
navbits_start.gif
FAQ

Map Making Related

Forum Related

How can I get my map approved? Learn here.
Where can I get world editor assistance and find tutorials? Here.

How do I navigate the Hive Workshop? Learn here.
What does reputation mean at the bottom of my profile? Learn here.
Where can I discuss a problem only with the staff and/or higher administrators? Here.

user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Last edited:

Yrk

Yrk

Level 6
Patch 3.2 has decreased the overall HP of aliens when playing with fewer players. This should give you an edge over the Aliens when playing in single player.
Nice, I really love this game. :3