• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(4)OutskirtsOfAvalonv1.04

Reactions: deepstrasz
This is a map of the Dawn and Twilight lore, Outskirts of Avalon, by Rui.
It is still a normal melee map, though.

Feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

QUICK UPDATE (12-April-2008 16:54 GMT+1):
*Fixed fog density (never thought it would be so dense) from 20% to 7%;
*Added a Lordaeron Summer sky.

UPDATE (13-April-2008 13:53 GMT+1):
*Replaced the shallow pass north of Teal's starting location to a Natural Long Bridge;
*Some areas have been enlarged;
*Fixed purple's starting location to have the same building space as blue's;
*Fog density recolored and further reduced from 7% to 2%;
*Northern Mercenary Camp area slightly changed (you probably won't notice the difference).

UPDATE (21-April-2008 17:50 GMT+1)
*Fog is now working correctly;
*Mercenary Camps' areas have been changed slightly;
*Two more gold mines have been added near both edges of the map. You can get to them either using Transport Ships or Goblin Zep's;
*Starting Gold Mines now have more gold (from 12.500 to 15.000);
*Blue's and Purple's starting locations no longer have cliffs surrounding them. They have been replaced by trees in order to help fix a lumber imbalance;
*Some extra doodads have been added.

UPDATE (3-April-2009 18:43 GMT+1)
Wow, it's been nearly a year. I have brought you version 1.04! Expect v1.04b soon.

• In an attempt to bring the two enemy forces together, I have added some red creep camps, who both drop level 5 permanent items. This will hopefully lure the two teams to a bloody encounter! Don't worry, they may seem close to the Tavern but they won't attack.
  • Fog has been changed slightly, but I don't think you will notice a difference.
  • The Goblin Shipyard guards now drop a level 2 permanent, from level 2 charged.
  • The Goblin Laboratory guards now drop a level 3 charged, from level 2 charged.
  • Both the small islands with a Gold Mine have been changed slightly, as have the Shipyards' positions, in an attempt to even the distance between the northern and southern pairs.
  • There are now less cliffs on the little path to the mainland's Gold Mines.
  • Red's starting position has been slightly changed. He and teal should now have the same building space.
  • Blue's starting location has been changed to be even with Purple's.
  • More doodads have been added.
  • More critters (Sheep, Rabbits, Frogs and Dogs) have been added.
  • Other minor terrain changes (northern Mercenary Camp).

Keywords:
Avalon, Melee, Outskirts of Avalon, Rui, User-Made Melee
Contents

(4)OutskirtsOfAvalonv1.04 (Map)

Reviews
Gilles: Pretty Blizzard-like melee map (You can decide if that's good or bad). -Approved-

M

Gilles: Pretty Blizzard-like melee map (You can decide if that's good or bad). -Approved-

Level 34
Only one extra gold mine per team? Are you kidding? That's going to suck.

Also the bases seem small. Especially for the top teams.

The terrain could use work.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Update! I have fixed the fog and added 2 more gold mines.
Read the description for a full change-log.

Gilles, what do you mean exactly with "the terrain could use some work"? I think I made a good use of the ground textures if you ask me.

EDIT: It seems the new Gold Mines are not displaying yet... anyway, open the map if you need confirmation.

Level 12
oh crap, wrote a big review, but then accidently rated b4 posting it......
summary:

- nice terrain, very good tile/height variation but a bit few shrubs, bushes and stuff

- exe a bit hard to get but once standing almost impregnable (the ones on land have very narrow entrances)

- drops in my opinion imba (e.g. green (total level 4) has powerup-1 and yellow (at merc, total lvl 15 has just a chargeable-2!!!, also red starting creeps just 2 perm. (but thats not grave as its a 2v2 map)

- few paths, good def possibilities make this map a looong tech-map even though there is good strategic stuff (zepp,ships) --> LAN-map

- Very original map, combining typical Blizzard ambiente withn totally new, astonishing elements.

Therefore: 4/5

Hope it helps in some case, gj btw
~Kallimachos~

Level 8
Well... Its like this since u play 4 players u should make terrain space equal... inner part base will get more space than outer part base and its a bit unfair for blue cuz the 2ndary gold mine is further than purple's 2ndary gold mine....
Good Points:
(+) Good terraining (good effort)
(+) Fair at putting the shops like goblin merchant.. etc...
Bad Points:
(-) Blue's 2nd gold mine is further from his base than purple's so its a bit unfair...
(-) Please edit a bit on blue and purple they r a bit unbalanced than red and teal
Overall: 3/5 its still good but still need more improvement :) keep trying u will be a good map maker since ure good at terraining
1 note: dun put too much water in ur map or ppl will complain they have less space..

Good luck :)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Only now I realize... it's been nearly a year!

Updated! Expect 1.04b soon. Here is the changelog:
  • In an attempt to bring the two enemy forces together, I have added some red creep camps, who both drop level 5 permanent items. This will hopefully lure the two teams to a bloody encounter! Don't worry, they may seem close to the Tavern but they won't attack.
  • Fog has been changed slightly, but I don't think you will notice a difference.
  • The Goblin Shipyard guards now drop a level 2 permanent, from level 2 charged.
  • The Goblin Laboratory guards now drop a level 3 charged, from level 2 charged.
  • Both the small islands with a Gold Mine have been changed slightly, as have the Shipyards' positions, in an attempt to even the distance between the northern and southern pairs.
  • There are now less cliffs on the little path to the mainland's Gold Mines.
  • Red's starting position has been slightly changed. He and teal should now have the same building space.
  • Blue's starting location has been changed to be even with Purple's.
  • More doodads have been added.
  • More critters (Sheep, Rabbits, Frogs and Dogs) have been added.
  • Other minor terrain changes (northern Mercenary Camp).

Level 18
bounty hunter2's Review on (4)OutskirtsOfAvalonv1.04

Outskirts Of Avalon is a four player melee map, where your goal is to destroy your opponent, alone or with an ally, with the use of one of the four melee races.

The terrain was done very Blizzard like and good in most of the places. The river was smooth, it has a beginning, the cove and it looked good. The tile variation, especially the dirt one was good aswell. The parts I disliked was the south-west part with the lot of Blizzard cliffs, and I found the villages you put quite empty and perhaps missing a couple of village props. I didn't like the dirt bridges aswell, since they usually look ugly.

The creeps and drops are fine. Although I disliked the combination of the two spiders and a troll, it was good. However there is perhaps a slight problem, since there is really little place to fight against those groups, you should increase it.

The gameplay is good, fun. There is the addition of shipyards which increase the amount of game options, there are the isolated islands which also can serve the gameplay a lot.

I can't complain much about the balance, since it's symmetrical, however I might suggest that you add another goldmine to the players on the mainland, since this way one player would get more gold. If you play FFA there would be a lot of fights over that mine, which may be a good thing, however it might be more balance if you added one more.

To conclude, I must say this melee was done in a good manner, every little detail was taken care off, thus I can put this map in the same rank with this A matter of life and death - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site , thus the rating is the same 4/5 (Recommended).