• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

XANID (The Platformer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
X A N I D

The one and only real platforming experience for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
level1a.jpg level1b.jpg level1c.jpg
screenA.jpg screenB.jpg screenC.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download Demo

Credits

Scripts:
- Uberplayer
- Vexorian

Models:
- _-nexXxor-_
- Callahan
- Dan van Ohllus
- Devine
- iNfraNe
- shamanyouranus
- tee.dubs
- Uberplayer
- Vicboy
- WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Textures:
- _-nexXxor-_
- Dan van Ohllus
- Google + Uberplayer
- Uberplayer
- Vicboy

Special Thanks:
- Artificial (brains)
- Larcenist (part-time hikikomori)
- Mr.Goblin (the greeniest goblin)
- Smith_S9 (clever cookie monster)

Attachments

• XANID 0.2.L.w3x
    946.9 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Level 5
That is weird, I just tested and it worked fine. And you're also the first one to have this problem, or the first one to report about it.

Thanks for the comments!

That is weird, I just tested and it worked fine. And you're also the first one to have this problem, or the first one to report about it.

Thanks for the comments!

hmm weird. I redownloaded it, and still doesn't work. I try it with the
TheHelper download file, maybe it's because hive(?)

//Edit: nope, doesn't work, too. Maybe it's because my warcraft bugs, I try/find out how to fix it.
//Edit2: nothing seems to work. I try it tomorrow.

Level 5
I have no idea what the problem could be. Wild guess of the week: Maybe you're a Mac user and there's something Macs do not like in this map.

By the way, that model of yours, Evil Beholder, fits this map perfectly. I already implemented it as an enemy. Though it's Spell Slam animation seems to use wrong filter mode for the particle textures. Awesome work!

This is fun. I didn't know you still mod. =P

An awesome project. I tested it and it was pretty fun. I didn't realize at first what the orb thing did. I thought it was just there for something later on. So I restarted the mission a few times until I realized it gave me a double jump. =P

He is very slippery, but I like it since it makes it challenging. It is like playing Super Mario Advance 2 with luigi. (he always seemed a bit more slippery than mario)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Tsk tsk tsk, you attempted to protect your map.

Anyway a quick glance at the triggers shows that it uses nothing more than basic collision concepts.

I take it your engine has limited support for circles of triangles? Still nice work on the model animations, its tough to get that damn walk to work properly.

Level 5
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Looks really cool.. will try it tomorow. Nice logo btw :D
It would be nice if you could feed my back after testing!

This is fun. I didn't know you still mod. =P

An awesome project. I tested it and it was pretty fun. I didn't realize at first what the orb thing did. I thought it was just there for something later on. So I restarted the mission a few times until I realized it gave me a double jump. =P

He is very slippery, but I like it since it makes it challenging. It is like playing Super Mario Advance 2 with luigi. (he always seemed a bit more slippery than mario)
I started modding again like few months ago. I should probably move the orb or give some message that tells what it is. You get used to the sliding pretty quickly, I no longer have any problems with it. :gg:

Good to see you BurgerFire!

Tsk tsk tsk, you attempted to protect your map.

Anyway a quick glance at the triggers shows that it uses nothing more than basic collision concepts.

I take it your engine has limited support for circles of triangles? Still nice work on the model animations, its tough to get that damn walk to work properly.
I never ever would attempt to protect it and fail. I just don't care if you can open it in the editor. I don't honestly care if you copy my map. I just care for the filesize, and that is the reason I optimized it like I did.

I use sort of bounding box method for detecting collisions. And I have no use for circles/triangles (at least yet) so I think it would be waste of time to fight with such scripts. I always had problems with movement, but this time I think I pulled it out perfectly. I'm totally satisfied with it.

It works now. Problem was the program 'Manabars'. Closed it and it worked perfectly :D
Movement is quite nice, but you should reduce the speed, how fast you slip, it's quite
hard to get ontop of the underwater blocks.

By the way, that model of yours, Evil Beholder, fits this map perfectly. I already implemented it as an enemy. Though it's Spell Slam animation seems to use wrong filter mode for the particle textures. Awesome work!
hehe, cool :D
Hmm, what problem? Wrong particles at the wrong animation? Could you please elaborate this?
+rep for this nice piece of work!

Level 5
Thanks for the comments, once again! :aht:

It works now. Problem was the program 'Manabars'. Closed it and it worked perfectly :D
Movement is quite nice, but you should reduce the speed, how fast you slip, it's quite
hard to get ontop of the underwater blocks.

hehe, cool :D
Hmm, what problem? Wrong particles at the wrong animation? Could you please elaborate this?
+rep for this nice piece of work!
I will increase friction by a little as enough people have complained about it, then. And underwater movement is in the makes, so you can swim there by tapping up arrow key. Still having some logic issues when trying to make it always play walk animation when it's underwater but not standing on ground. Lol.

I took a screenshot of the model from the World Editor (it's same in-game).
(image removed)
It's Spell Slam animation playing there. You can see the particles correctly in War3ModelEditor, though.

This looks like it could be something interesting. If there comes some level out I'm going to try it.
When I have the engine working perfectly, I can start designing the levels damn quickly. For now you have to settle for demo stages.

Last edited:
Level 5
Well yeah, I changed it myself. I hope you don't mind, even though ReadMe clearly states no edits to the model without permission of the author. Thought it wouldn't matter. :at:

Level 5
It's just a demonstration/preview of the game. Once I get the engine working perfectly I start building the real one. Until that it'll be just small updates and new features. Sorry about that, but it's just a lot faster to fix everything when people test it and give me comments.

In the end it's not going to be short, I promise you that. I have quite nice (cliché) story for it already, but that'll be revealed later. It wouldn't make sense to have a full story there with just a demo map that has nothing to do with the story.

Thanks for commenting :).

oky.. well than.. great demo.

Like the other said.. maybe he runs too fast, wich makes him break where we don't really want to.

the wall textures are great, the character is really lovable and funny.

You could add a background music tought :p

I suggest you also to variate the map.. like.. add some spot lights.. or add a few sewing line in the background.. and for the obstacles.. insted of always using the cubes, you could change it for decoration (power line, crashed car, trash can) etc.

Level 5
But you can break darn quickly by pressing arrow key to the other direction. Anyway, I will increase friction a bit more then.

Music will be added definitely. Sounds and other stuff too.

Good idea. I will add details, but I don't think it's really needed for a demonstration.

Thanks a lot for the feedback :thumbs_up:!

Level 5
Thanks. It's viewed from top and objects are moved in x and y axis. Walls are just one region, so at map initialization I am enumerating all destructables and adding rect of respective size to the region.

Now I'm working on making the doors actually work again and elevators.

Thanks. It's viewed from top and objects are moved in x and y axis. Walls are just one region, so at map initialization I am enumerating all destructables and adding rect of respective size to the region.

Now I'm working on making the doors actually work again and elevators.

Cool idea with the elevators and the doors.

You could also make some air valve that throws you in the air. Or electric mechanism that kills you if you walk on it. (restart the map when you die)

you could also add some cool sounds effects (when you turn out a switch you ear a DING! from a door openning) or when your guy goes into the water you ear a SPLASH! those kind of simple stuff that would atcualy bring alot of epicness into the project.

Edit = also, you should slow the mouvement speed of the character while he's in the water.. would make it more realistic.

Last edited:
Level 5
What about making the model sideways? That was my chief problem.
There are 3 variations of each unit in the object editor. One facing towards camera (idle), one facing right, and one facing left. You can make the sideways by playing around with negative pitch and roll. I change them depending on the xVelocity/Acceleration of an object when moving them on x-axis.

Cool idea with the elevators and the doors.

You could also make some air valve that throws you in the air. Or electric mechanism that kills you if you walk on it. (restart the map when you die)

you could also add some cool sounds effects (when you turn out a switch you ear a DING! from a door openning) or when your guy goes into the water you ear a SPLASH! those kind of simple stuff that would atcualy bring alot of epicness into the project.

Edit = also, you should slow the mouvement speed of the character while he's in the water.. would make it more realistic.
Doors are working. Elevators not yet.

I wanted to create some stuff with air, but I don't know if there's any good model for it. I suppose I have to do the modeling then. Electric traps will come back (they were in The Platformer, the first 2D map I made).

Sound effects will be made when I'm finishing the map. They're not that importan to the gameplay.

The movement was slower in underwater, as was the animation speed of the objects. Slowed the speed more for next version.

I was wondering, could i get a copy of the 2d engine or is that asking too much? i'd really like to make a game with it.
Well it's currently totally undocumented, so it won't help. Maybe after I've completed this I can add documentation and such.

I wanted to create some stuff with air, but I don't know if there's any good model for it. I suppose I have to do the modeling then. Electric traps will come back (they were in The Platformer, the first 2D map I made).
you could edit the fire/frost-trap model of blizzard. Just change the particles to something
that looks like air/wind and import it.

I,ve just tested the new demo update.. and it's BRILLIANT!

only 1 thing = the slub monster doesn't attack and can't be killed when we jump on it.

it's just there, and you can walk throw it.

-------------------------

The water = EPIC STUFF
Arrows = REally really nice idea.

keep up the good work mate.

----------------------------
Edit = Nice thread presentation although I don't think the snake and the One eye monster are really fithing..

Xanid is a cool and comic looking character.. the Goo too, but the the one-eye thingy could use a better texture so it would fit more into your map.

and the snake= just doesn't work at all..

-1 = why would a snake be in the sewer(or what ever place it is :D),
-2 = the model isn't comic looking at all,
-3 = I don't imagine how a goo or Xanid be the size of a snake (I Imagine them the size of a mouse or something).

The Concept of the snake is really good though, brings more challenge for the players! :D, but perhaps you could change the snake for an other model, like.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/worm-64747/?prev=c=25&t=1&r=20&d=list&page=4

or

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/goo-47350/?prev=search=goo&d=list&r=20

or

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/blind-beast-159688/?prev=c=24&r=20&d=list&page=2

or

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/gross-bug-142030/?prev=c=24&r=20&d=list&page=7 (retextured)

or

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=78426

Or maybe just a warcraft3 model retextured in a comic looking. = if you need a texture, I'll make it, simply because I really love this project :3

Last edited:
Level 5
First of all, I love you guys. Awesome feedback and suggestions.

For the air I used the trap fire, with all unnecessary stuff removed and texture changed, and I think it looks quite good. I'll probably have it in next update. Doors + elevator + air things is probably more than enough for update.

I,ve just tested the new demo update.. and it's BRILLIANT!

only 1 thing = the slub monster doesn't attack and can't be killed when we jump on it.

it's just there, and you can walk throw it.

-------------------------

The water = EPIC STUFF
Arrows = REally really nice idea.

keep up the good work mate.

----------------------------
Edit = Nice thread presentation although I don't think the snake and the One eye monster are really fithing..

Xanid is a cool and comic looking character.. the Goo too, but the the one-eye thingy could use a better texture so it would fit more into your map.

and the snake= just doesn't work at all.. 1 why would a snake be in the sewer(or what ever place it is :D), 2 the model isn't comic looking at all, 3.. I don't imagine how a goo or Xanid be the size of a snake (Imagine them the size of a mouse or something).

The Concept of the snake is really good though, brings more challenge for the players! :D, but perhaps you could change the snake for an other model, like.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/worm-64747/?prev=c=25&t=1&r=20&d=list&page=4

or

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/goo-47350/?prev=search=goo&d=list&r=20

or

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/blind-beast-159688/?prev=c=24&r=20&d=list&page=2

or

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/gross-bug-142030/?prev=c=24&r=20&d=list&page=7 (retextured)

or

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=78426

Or maybe just a warcraft3 model retextured in a comic looking. = if you need a texture, I'll make it, simply because I really love this project :3
The thing is, I kinda wanted only XANIDs to be cartoony and lovable. Is it too weird? Because the background textures and all 'realistic' so I'm not sure how good it would look if all models were cartoony. And for the size issue of the snake, I don't think there's any idea behind making enemies too small.

I would've wanted to use that Blind Beast model, but it crashes Warcraft 3. The Gross Bug will be used, and it's probably going to hang from the ceiling using a web. That crab could make an awesome underwater enemy. Also, I'm not really sure what WC3 model I'd like to get rextured. I've got kinda bored of them xD.. that happens when you look at the same models for 6 years.

Oh and the Yellige was there just for visual reasons. I'm not sure if I can get collision between objects to the next update.

Now when object falls into water you can hear splash sound. I need splash model. I tried that naga building death, but it's kinda too epic and doesn't look that good sideways.

First of all, I love you guys. Awesome feedback and suggestions.

<3

For the air I used the trap fire, with all unnecessary stuff removed and texture changed, and I think it looks quite good. I'll probably have it in next update. Doors + elevator + air things is probably more than enough for update.

Pretty good stuff!

The thing is, I kinda wanted only XANIDs to be cartoony and lovable. Is it too weird? Because the background textures and all 'realistic' so I'm not sure how good it would look if all models were cartoony. And for the size issue of the snake, I don't think there's any idea behind making enemies too small.

K I understand your idea now... hum although, I still think that snake could be change with something else :D

I would've wanted to use that Blind Beast model, but it crashes Warcraft 3. The Gross Bug will be used, and it's probably going to hang from the ceiling using a web. That crab could make an awesome underwater enemy.

Nice concepts! :D

Now when object falls into water you can hear splash sound. I need splash model. I tried that naga building death, but it's kinda too epic and doesn't look that good sideways.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/waterbullet-159982/?prev=search=water&d=list&r=20 (Dead animation)

Good luck..

also for the splash model.. never thought of using missile dead animations? or unit dead animation?.

Like water elemental dead animation = or something else.. just check in the models.

-----------------------------
Edit = Would be cool if you added more animations to Xanid01, like add more stand animations and he makes some funny moves.. just to bring even further his character.

examples
= if you don't touch him after a while, he falls asleep.
= stand animation = turns around look at you and waves.
= stand animation = sits done and play with the ground (just like a bored kid would do)
= stand hit = his eyes go = o((x))o
= stand hit 2 = when he's electrocuted = he turns black, than you see his bones, than it turns back to normal (does that in top speed for like 3 times) just in in the Super Smash game on the Nintendo 64. (will give you a link after dinner) =nvm can't find any.

these are just ideas..

-----------------------------------
Edit 2 = for the warcraft3 retextured models.. the beatle of the Crypt lord would be cool. or a retextured crab

or..

Attachments

• Nouveau Image bitmap.PNG
    Nouveau Image bitmap.PNG
    321 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Level 5
Sorry, friend asked me out at 3AM, I went, came back at 7AM.

I didn't want to quote that huge ass post of yours, and this is just a reply to it. The splash model should be just a small splash, nothing huge. A small.

As for the animations, I have to ask permission to add animations from Dan Van Ohllus. I am unable to make animations, so I need an animator for that. I added it to 'to-do list', because it's awesome idea. Small details make a game a lot better.

That retextured beetle would be awesome. But I don't yet know how I'd like it to be rextextured. I'm a but drunk still, so give me some time to think :D. Also, if I'm ever going to add giant chickens, the model should be remade, the default one is too blocky.

I added looping sound when you're underwater btw.

That retextured beetle would be awesome. But I don't yet know how I'd like it to be rextextured.

K I can wait :D

I'm a but drunk still
You lucky bastard! :3 .. I was supposed to be drunk tonight too, but the party didn't got hosted after all D:

I added looping sound when you're underwater btw.

Really nice! Also, an other idea that could make thing even cooler, is when the guy is under water, you have bubbles floating out of his head. with a simple aura and a Head attachment of 1 of the steam bubble doodad it could work.

He just need to gain the spell/item (cause anyway you don't see any of those two ingame) that give him that attachment when he enters the water, and remove the spell/item when he's out. :thumbs_up:

Level 5
We had a small party. I feel so bad about it. I am dating, and this random girl just suddenly kissed me and I feel like I'd been cheating (lol). Enough about my private live, though.

That doodad will not show up for some reason. I tried this already :grin:. I even made my own bubble model but that didn't go well x).

That doodad will not show up for some reason.
Wierd? o_O

what type of doodad are you using? Destructible or Doodads? and is the model you are using are custom models are not?

I even made my own bubble model but that didn't go well x).

well the warcraft3 steam bubbles are already pretty good looking. anyway it's up to you.

and for the beatle texture.. what about these colors?.

http://frogpondsrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/green-beetle-277x300.jpg

or

http://myrmecos.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/temnoscheila5.jpg

or

http://www.hr-rna.com/RNA/images/Other Insects/Tigers/Tiger cricket top 3 05.JPG
?

Level 5
I mean the Bubble model of Warcraft did not really show up. And even if the Bubble Steam showed up, it would be too intense, I think?

The first beetle looks darn beautiful!

Adding the splash effect now. Then I gotta get those elevators working.

wow, hot discussion here <.<
@ Mr. Goblin: beetle looks awesome :D

I see you make good progress. Can't wait for next version :D

Edit:
Hmm, I could try to make some of those animations (ofc just when DvO gave me/you permission), but the problem is, I don't know how to keep the old anims,
because milkshape doesn't import animations when you import a .mdx model.

Level 5
The texture is almost finished.. just 1 question.

Do you want the horn or not?

Edit = without it's better.

Path = Textures\HeroCryptLord.blp
View attachment 79172
View attachment 79173
Mr.Goblin, that is beyond awesome. I can't yet say my final opinion, as I'm currently unable to see it in the map. But I am pretty damn sure it's what I'm going to use.

Yay! I finished it! This is pure epicness! Maybe find some suitable sounds? Anyways, I cant wait until when the finished version comes!
Suitable sounds are being searched.

wow, hot discussion here <.<
@ Mr. Goblin: beetle looks awesome :D

I see you make good progress. Can't wait for next version :D

Edit:
Hmm, I could try to make some of those animations (ofc just when DvO gave me/you permission), but the problem is, I don't know how to keep the old anims,
because milkshape doesn't import animations when you import a .mdx model.
I'll ask him for permission soon. Hmm.. I could probably be able to add the old anims back with notepad. I'm pretty handy with that. If you have free time, I think it's worth a try. (I have no idea how animations work in the .mdl, but I can figure that out.)

EDIT:// I asked for permission, waiting for answer.

Last edited:
Level 9
(if a word has this on it, it means u should pay "extra" attention to it because it is "extra" important)

very nice. does it allow online play because online coop whould be awsome :p. Like one dood has to stand on that switch so that door opens and the other one jumps in and like....win...no I dont know...

Suggestions: Online Play and Show a text when u get that orb :), and some lights and I was gonna say do so that u can quit from the "Esc" button since u dont have that navigation bar at the top. But nevermind F10 works :).

And it whould be cool if u had special items at certain levels.....like a rope at that level so u can swing between that huuge gap. But I understand that whould be pretty hard to make and whould take a hell of a time to create that kind of stuffs for just 1 level. But anyways, people like creative stuffs. Dont want all dem levels to be the same. you know what I mean? :D

=D, anyways awsome realy awsome job. one of the best maps I've played even tho I havent played so many, but I realy love platform games to wc3 :). And that sort of 3D effect was nice sometimes when u switched walked (the camera moved).

Level 5
(if a word has this on it, it means u should pay "extra" attention to it because it is "extra" important)

very nice. does it allow online play because online coop whould be awsome :p. Like one dood has to stand on that switch so that door opens and the other one jumps in and like....win...no I dont know...

Suggestions: Online Play and Show a text when u get that orb :), and some lights and I was gonna say do so that u can quit from the "Esc" button since u dont have that navigation bar at the top. But nevermind F10 works :).

And it whould be cool if u had special items at certain levels.....like a rope at that level so u can swing between that huuge gap. But I understand that whould be pretty hard to make and whould take a hell of a time to create that kind of stuffs for just 1 level. But anyways, people like creative stuffs. Dont want all dem levels to be the same. you know what I mean? :D

=D, anyways awsome realy awsome job. one of the best maps I've played even tho I havent played so many, but I realy love platform games to wc3 :). And that sort of 3D effect was nice sometimes when u switched walked (the camera moved).
I've been thought a lot about making this multiplayer. But in the end it would not work as key press events are delayed too much. Also, multiplayer does not fit the story I've made up for this. I won't reveal the story until we've gotten past the demo stage.

I will add messages when obtain an Upgrade Orb. I thought there's enough lights? And I will add dialog when pressing 'ESC'.

I'm trying to be as creative as I can. I haven't yet thought about any special items, I only have ideas for few Upgrade Orbs. Thank you for the idea.

Thank you so much for the comments, I appreciate it!

Level 5
I see I see. I got an answer from Dan van Ohllus - he gave us permission to add animations to Waddle Doo.

Take your time with the animations. The demo will work fine without them, even though it would be nice to have them there.

Level 5
Edit = Would be cool if you added more animations to Xanid01, like add more stand animations and he makes some funny moves.. just to bring even further his character.

examples
= if you don't touch him after a while, he falls asleep.
= stand animation = turns around look at you and waves.
= stand animation = sits done and play with the ground (just like a bored kid would do)
= stand hit = his eyes go = o((x))o
= stand hit 2 = when he's electrocuted = he turns black, than you see his bones, than it turns back to normal (does that in top speed for like 3 times) just in in the Super Smash game on the Nintendo 64. (will give you a link after dinner) =nvm can't find any.
Falling asleep and that waving. So the first two. They'd be just great.

Status
Not open for further replies.