• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] ★ Shadows of the Past ★

Status
Not open for further replies.
md_01.png

md_06.png

md_08.png

md_10.png

md_12.png
md_14.png

Last edited:
Level 37
I'm all for well made single player maps! There aren't enough of those around.

The terrain looks nice, however I'd like to test it. Well chosen screenshots can make the terrain look so much better.

Some of the trees in pic #3 are growing for a rock tile. You could also make some of the hills more steep.

The screens do look good, way better than most single player maps.

Because map terrain resources are based on it...
But Gameplay will be completely different...

If you played Elder Scrolls you know that your hero/avatar/champion or whatever can learn large number of skills and so on... You will be able to create battle mage, thief, skilled swordsman and so on from any starting class, still mage based hero will have better and powerful spells that others, and so on :)

It maybe sound complicated but it really isn't, whole map will be coded in GUI :), hero main attributes and few custom (melee weapons critical, spellpower, and so on) will improve/reduce spell power/effect and so on...

So far there is idea to create 5 main hero classes and around 5 custom attributes. As soon as I finish 1st class and items/skills and so on, I will upload demo :D

Also I will see how this look with 3th person camera!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I have an idea for "Diviner".

Scans the planet from outerspace and relays the data to be processed to centeral command revaling the whole map and giving truesight... I do not think the Diviner instriment on a NASA spacecraft is quite what you mean. Here is what I think you really meant.

A being inspired by god.
1. It allows the hero to bless weapons. Blessed weapons deal bonous damage to undead, demons and to a lesser degree sinful beings (like bandits). Attacking the innocent or good with a blessed weapon will insantly break the blessing so reverting the weapon back to normal and if the attacker was the diviner he will be unable to bless weapons for a period of time. No bonous damage is dealt to animals and animals are not counted as innocent (as they attack you).
2. Able to bless people and objects. If blessing a NPC, there is a chance to receive a gift (usually very small but can add up). Blessing some objects will grant unsual effects ranging from free items the next day to a small longterm bonous (like 0.1 health per second for a day). Blessing will only effect an object once per day (resets every day).
3. Can sacrifice items, food or plants (not living animals) to the gods. This improves your favor with the gods which will cause a variery of effects to happen. It may result in an instant day long powerboost (largeish boost) or later in battle when you are losing or about to die, you will get a strong short term boost (massive reheal, extra armor and damage, speed to run etc). The exact effects are random and unpredictable. Keeping favor high will result in improved blessing roles (extra rare drops, more gold etc).
4. You receive a large bonous to life and mana regeneration while in a holy place.
5. A totally mind blowing turnaround, able to worship dark gods (via a series of ingame tasks). This does not make you evil as the gods are not evil, they are just not good. This a a chaotic good aspect, where you still try and help people and whatever but you are doing so with the help of gods that normal people fear and consider bad. It turns around a lot of your effects so your blessed weapons deal bonous damage to the living (demons are living) but not to undead for example. You also remove curses instead of blessing people which no longer yields low rewards but comes with slightly higher chance of good rewards. Sacrificing targets corpses instead of items and earns dark god favour. This works differently in that it only has passive effects improving remove curses and providing damaging magic randomly when in combat. Holy places will nolonger boost you but instead you get boosted in new locations.

The major thing is this does not give you full control over improving your power like others do. You can not just make a sword of kill everything or a potion of instant fullheal but you can get a variety of boosts that are normally not available to most people. The loot you also get frol blessing / removing curses does not grant as much power as a sword of kill everything would, instead it grants passive bonuses which are useful to you. The main power is meant to come from its favour, where once certain points are reached, you should be garunteed atleast a full reheal or occasional divine shield if you take a lot of damage.

Skycraft Thanks, be free to give suggestions as well.

Dr Super Good lol, idea is cool and really good, but to say all that in 1 line :)

If I find way to create all that above easily and without to many triggers that will lag game, I will do it and give credits for sure.
1 question, your 5th point, it's can be something like fame and infame in TES4 - Oblivion?
Epic, I will tray to create quests in 2 ways, so you can pick good and bad side :)

Guys I found fine name: "Shadows of the Past"
It can be anything so I have free space to do anything, and another cool thing is terrain, there are large number of cool resources that can be used to create ruined buildings and so on...

Guys I added items into description and explained them a little.

Also I finished hero pick system it works without error ♥

Yay, thread has new name now ♥

New terrain screenshots are out!

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well, it is not meant to really be bad, just it is meant to be alternative. For example the gods are very selfish and do not really care what befalls mortals that get in their way but they are not inheriently evil. This allows you to still follow a good side main story but allows you to have some not good aspects to it. For example, dialog could even change slightly with your main hero being more agressive or caring less about the people he meets. 5 however was a bonous, the majority of it is 1-4 and should be implimented first (and 5 only considered later). 5 prety much would answer for all those people who hate in games like legend of zelda or final fantasy that you can not just demand for the quest item you need instead of having to go on an ardious quest to find a medicine for a person that we all know no one cares about who turns out evil. Ofcourse, you could make the quests have other reasons or different rewards but this would require a lot of coding thus why it might not be a good idea to consider.

Level 4
Well, it is not meant to really be bad, just it is meant to be alternative. For example the gods are very selfish and do not really care what befalls mortals that get in their way but they are not inheriently evil. This allows you to still follow a good side main story but allows you to have some not good aspects to it. For example, dialog could even change slightly with your main hero being more agressive or caring less about the people he meets. 5 however was a bonous, the majority of it is 1-4 and should be implimented first (and 5 only considered later). 5 prety much would answer for all those people who hate in games like legend of zelda or final fantasy that you can not just demand for the quest item you need instead of having to go on an ardious quest to find a medicine for a person that we all know no one cares about who turns out evil. Ofcourse, you could make the quests have other reasons or different rewards but this would require a lot of coding thus why it might not be a good idea to consider.

cool_story_bro.jpg

Level 5
I'd recommend both Talent Tree and stores for the skill system.
Stores provide new skills and upgrades every few levels (make the upgrades uneven so the player can upgrade at least one skill almost every level) and Talent Trees to augment the skills and the character's niche.

Garfield1337
Well yes, all spells are triggered, simple GUI not something special but look ok...
There is 1 unique custom attribute, I call it "Luck".
It value can go from 0 to 10 and it can do next:
-Increase item drop chance
-Hero has (luck) chance to get 2 times more gold after kill.
-Hero has (luck) chance to deal 2 times more damage when he cast spell.
-Hero has (luck) chance to earn 2 times more experience after kill/quest and so on...
-Maybe few more things :)

Note: There will be Rare and Legendary items that can increase luck by 2 or maybe 3 but.
Player will be never able to gain all 10 luck points, even if he do so, he will have poor other stats :)

Also I have idea to create more items and quest only for stronger difficulties :)
Easy will provide tips, how to play and so on, Legendary and Nightmare will be real game with awesome items to find and hidden levels to go.

Gladius_Tito Ok will try to do something about it!

Level 12
I think that making class-specified items it pretty boring. Besides, anybody could use a spear, not counting class. It's just a matter of how well you use it. Therefore, I'm suggesting that instead of making categories for classes, I suggest making Weapon Mastery available, each only available to certain classes.

Example:
The Warrior class can undergo training which would increase certain stats. Once he completed his training, he will automatically be able to use, let's say, Scimitars or Curved Blades to be more category specific. So right now the Warrior knows how to use Curved Blades which are part of the Bladed Weapons meta-category.
The Warrior can do quests (Duh) but his skill in Curved Blades will increase if he uses a Curved Blade to undergo the quest. It isn't a selective choice but instead, the Warrior must complete the quest with possibly a Curved Blade equipped majority of the time. His skill in Bladed Weapons will also increase in general.
As his skill in Curved Weapons increase, so does his attack rate, parry rate, damage, attack speed and other items.

As the game progresses, if the warrior has a tendency to use certain types of specific weapons like Curved Blades, the Warrior can choose to obtain a special skill which increases his skill significantly on a certain weapon type.

Example: Warrior A uses Pole Weapons in many of his fights while Warrior B uses Greatswords most of the time. Once both Warriors are of level 35, Warrior A can choose to learn (Not from an NPC, the option just appears) if he or she would like to specialize in Pole Weapons. If he or she picks "Yes", then Warrior A will deal much more damage using Pole Weapons then other weapons, even if all Weapons are fully trained. This is called Weapon Specialization.

If Warrior B choose "No", then he or she will deal the same amount of damage using Greatsword with other weapons. Warrior B will then be able to do more damage than Warrior A using all weapons except Pole Weapons since Warrior A already specialized in Pole Weapons.

Well, thats my suggestion for Weapon Specialization.

PS. Still looking for a story to fit the name?

Aahahahaha :aht:

Btw guys I finished with Hero and Monsters Respawn system :)
Working on monsters!

EDIT:

Guys I updated monster list...
Will improve it as soon as I create abilities for boss units.
I will add movement speed/attack speed, mana points, regenerations and abilities into list as well!

EDIT 2:

Guys new terrain pictures, now with units placed on them!

Last edited:
Level 17
At last!
The Maruka finally get some attention! :D

Also, here are some suggestions you could use as units :)
Murlocs, Gnolls, Reverants, Bandits, Dalaran Rejects, Sludge Minions, Bears and maybe Forest Trolls? o:

Last edited:
Murlocs -> Hmmm I like them as well, will see.
Gnolls -> Dunno where to use them, will see.
Reverants -> Maybe in higher levels...
Bandits -> Nothing without them ♥
Dalaran Rejects -> Grrr those look horrible :D
Sludge Minions -> Same as above, (maybe in dungeons)
Bears -> Cool Idea, will see where can I use them.
Forest Trolls -> Will be added in new area!

Thanks for suggestions :thumbs_up:

Level 28
Hmm, lovely. Seems to be a great RPG-in-progress.
The features are really great (quality above quantity, that's how it should be ^^).

Menus use trackables I assume (well, you said CLICKING on those buttons will do things, so they must be using trackables).
That's great, and as it looks now it can definitely challenge KToK

The only thing I did not really like about TKoK was its rather repetitive gameplay.
So if you can create an RPG where the gameplay is more important than the quality (also verey important, the hierarchy goes like: Gameplay > Quality > Quantity), then I shallt name thee "Sir Kobas" from then on.

Still, you've got a lot to do (items and monsters aren't hard, but they do drain a lot of time - good quest-lines as well).
Great project, I hope to see a WIP soon!

Level 27
Terrain and everything else looks pretty epic!
Well if you still need an idea for Assasin/Diviner specializtions, I got them!

Diviner can talk to gods themselves in some energetic, sacred areas. By doing this he recieves an ability to cast special spell spells and gets "linked" to the area (Unit). So see, these sacred places will have mana, and the more sacred and divine place is, the more max mana it has. The spell costs mana of the sacred place that regenerates over time. Now see, when used on hostile, the spell will damage them, on allies it will heal them. Oh, by the way, I think this special ability should be called "God's hand" or "Divine assistance". And the most fun part is that depending from the altar/worshiping place/some other energetic area your spell gets extra effect too. Like shall we say you're linked to some Graveyard. So enemies effected by ability infused with graveyard energies will be revived as skeletons, and allies will deal higher damage to undead.

Assasin could, well, use some special trinkets that can be bought from Assasin's brotherhood's associate. But for that you'll need to get some enough Reputation in assasin's brotherhood. More espect you get, better items are unlocked. Reputation can be recieved by killing special mini-bosses. These items, first of all, an be used only one at time and they give a special ability and some passive effects. There are few item types: daggers (Kinda like those from assasin's creed) that damage target units and give some kind of debuff, bombs (like smoke and similar)(do some kind of effect in AoE) and other...

Item descriptions? Just tell what items exactly and I'll do it! I mean I'm the diea guy, I can come up with anything it's possible...

Damn don't know what to say ^^
Will try my best now!

Menus use trackables I assume (well, you said CLICKING on those buttons will do things, so they must be using trackables).
I am using units and doodads at same time, dummy units are placed below them (hidden from player eye :p), so triggering is at basic level :D

Will upload hero selection as system for thw spell section once when I upload map.
I added few more things to it as well now :p

I really enjoy to make monsters, colorize them, scale and so on, but quest are WTF GOOD DAMN NOOOOOOO...

Will try not to be linear (maybe I even add few different ends to story :D)

Btw my idea so far:
5 classes
-Different weapon and armor types
-Can carry different items
-Spells work different for each one
-Different story
5 Difficulties
-Hints on and off
-Enemy monsters hit points (go up and down)
-Different Item drop rate (unlock more and unique items on harder difficulties)
-Unlock New areas (On the hardest special dungeon)
7 Birth Signs
-For now only edit base hero stats (evasion, critical and so on)
5 Specialties
-Item drop chance is better for some item classes (explorer has 2 times more chance to find rare items, alchemist can only pick herbs and animal parts...)
-Unique abilities
-Ability to forge items (Smith)
-Different guilds to join (Alchemist, Assassin, Holy Temple... -> New quests and items as well as areas for play)

You will see around 10% from each in demo (WIP) as soon as progress bar reach 100% (for now 20% completed)

If I calculated right, everything can be ready to go in 1 or 2 months...
After that everything will be simple, just adding terrain, items and so on... (why simple, because everything hard I make now, systems, ideas and so on)...

tleno it seams that we have same ideas :D
After all I finally decided how to split resources:

Gold - Gold (gold to buy items and so on)
Lumber - Blessing (only work for diviner specialty, will be explained later)
Food -> Infame/Fame (if you do good numbers are white, if you play bad numbers are red ^^, and increase after each quest and so on)

So after all there will be 100000000 combinations ^^

Vengeancekael

Thanks for support guys, will try my best not to fail you.

Btw in demo version you will be able to play only with squire, play only normal difficulty (no point for more terrain won't be finished), any birth sign, and with few specializations (Smith, Alchemist and Explorer for now)...

More monsters to come:
Bear
More items to come:
Steel Sword Set
Steel Shield Set
Steel Helm Set
Still Mail Set
Few items created for alchemist specialization
Few items created for smith specialization

Level 28
Why is ap0 comparing this to TKOK? I thought this was a single player rpg, so the gameplay is in a lot of ways different :/
I wasn't really referring to the gameplay, but rather to the quality.
TKoK is a high-quality ORPG, I believe nobody here can possibly disagree with that.
This RPG is seemingly going in that same direction.

Of course I mentioned TKoK's gameplay flaw, but it's actually a general RPG flaw: people use too much complex systems and the gameplay suffers under that.

True that. I prefer a more simple entertaining map (like D3W) rather than a map with a myriad of different menus, paragraphs of text, and 7000 character stats.

@-Kobas-:
Have you seen my GUI Inv system? It could be altered into a Talent Tree.
Also, perhaps combine a Talent Tree with a skill seller. But, you may only equip 4 abilities at a time, though you are allowed to change these at any given time (except in combat, cinematics etc.).

Level 16
Ah seems to be a nice RPG ^^
Some ideas:
Birth Signs:
  • Boar - Physical damage reduction
  • Wolf - Attack Rate and/or Movement Speed increase
  • Bear - Increased regeneration
Specialization:
Thief :ogre_love: - just like as in thief 3 deadly shadows ~.~
Monster:
Skeleton Berserker(Orc)

indomitable1319
Epic man, just write it like this:
-Item name
-Description

SanD3R
There is no need for save load systems because you can use simple wc3 save :D
But I won't allow you to cheat, if you use WHOSYOURDADDY you will be defeated as soon as you attack someone, will see how to disable other cheats as well...

Marsal2000
Cool, will see what I can do about it :D

Level 28
Hm, you shouldn't insta-defeat them, just save the game at that point (game cache I assume? :p) and let them play, but do mention that the game won't save anymore :D
I, for example, would like to test-play with cheats enabled (nothing wrong with that, you can't expect anyone to spend a large amount of time for reviewing or something).

Other cheats:
- thedudeabides: create a dummy with an infinite cd-spell, make it cast the spell at map init and then keep ordering it to cast the spell. If it successfully casts the spell, the cheat has been activated.
- thereisnospoon: create a dummy without mana and try to order it to cast a spell (which costs >= 1 mana), if the spell is cast the cheat has been activated.
- keysersoze/greedisgood, assuming you can only get gold from killing creeps, selling items and quests you can turn off a trigger once one of these actions happens (you kill a creep, you finish a quest or you sell an item) - that trigger notices the change in money. If money changed: cheat has been activated.

These are all useful cheats I can think of right now :/

Status
Not open for further replies.