• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Shifting Winds ALPHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Shifting Winds

Story
The semi-elemental boy called Willow have lived happily side by side with his soulmate, the ancient and mysterious spirit Mira,
when an accident casuses Mira to lose her body. Willow is naturally heartbroken and sets of on a quest to bind her soul to a body again.
He soon discovers that the only possible way of doing this is to seek out the Crystal of Life, residing somewhere inside The Void.
This means that a long and troublesome road is ahead.

Idea
Skyrim has been a big inspiration.
I focused on creating an unique kind of gameplay and wanted the campaign to contain a big amount of optinal content, so that the game won't feel as if it is staked out.

Features
-A large 392x392 overmap consisting of 5 different maps with cross-transition between them.
-Unique gameplay controls. For example: it has arrowkey movement and ability attack.
-A large arsenal of items.
-Special spell system.
-Many submaps containing bosses, puzzles and other challanges.
-A long mainquest and a large number of other quests.
-An interesting story (hopefully) following the main events.

SW Start Screen.pngSW SCreen 1.pngSW Screen 2.pngSW Screen 3.png

[-15/10/24]
-Removed a floating text from tutorial
-Fixed completetion text to only show once in tutorial map 2

You are more than welcome to check the almost finished tutorial (View attachment SW.w3n) out!
All feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:
Level 26
Thanks guys for the uplifting comments!

btw just an idea : you could add a pet for main character
I considered the idea of it, but decided not to go with it after all.
It is part of the story though that a kind of spirit joins him in his adventure later since it is vital for his success.
Thanks for the idea, anyway! :)

Level 10
I've just tried out the tutorial part of it. There is a spelling mistake when introducing the barrels (wich instead of which). Also there was a bug at the spell book part. I did'nt know where to go and I didn't want to use my spellbooks because I thought it may be a one shot thing, so I was blinking around and got stuck behind the glowing fountain and I couldn't blink back out. I'd give you a replay, but you can't save replays in campaign.

Level 26
I actually saw the typo and corrected it... Guess I forgot to save it. Thanks for pointing it out! I'll also try to make it clear that the tomes are not a one-time use.
The fountain... I do not understand how you could even get out there since there is no ground pathing anywhere close to it... I'll look into it!

Thanks for the bugs, man! Any other feedback on the gameplay? :)

Level 10
Hey Rufus,
I tried playing your campaign again and here are some pics and Gifs of what happened. I think the first picture must just be me.
I recommend:
  • Replacing the lizard eggs with actual potion models.
  • Adding a hit sound and a miss sound. If you don't hit anything it will make a swoosh sound, but if it does hit, It will make a metal chop sound. If you want to go the extra mile, you can add a GetArmorType system to play specific hit sounds like MetalChopFlesh, MetalChopStone, etc.
  • Replacing the blink with leap or changing the image from attack ground to blink.
  • Make Willow play his defend animation when blocking. You do this by
    • Animation - Add the defend animation tag to Willow
    then once Willow loses the defend buff, remove the defend tag.
  • Picking up Items using the attack ability shouldn't cost energy.
  • It's impossible for me to make across the bridge and pass the Golem Trap, even when I just make it across, the game pulls me down into the hole

That's all for now, since I can't play it :(

Level 26
Thanks Dee-Boo!
-Lizared egg potions? I know. They suck, but I had as a goal for this map to import nothing but what was necessary. I'm also not sure if I'll keep the potion feature at all.
-The hit sound I've been thinking of aswell. I'm not sure what is happening though since there seem to be something wrong with what sounds my editor plays and which it does not. I like the idea about "getarmortype". I'll try it!
-I used to have "jump" instead of "blink" before, but I replaced it since the instant move is more fitting for the style of gameplay I was thinking about.
-Defend animation is good! I have avoided it mostly because it is complicated with my current attack function. I'll see if I can fix it though.
-the attack action should always cost energy according to me since it is still an action that could either damage enemies or pull levers.
-Oh. my thought about this is to use the ledges on the right of the bridge. Perhaps I'll just tell the players directly instead. :)

Also, the gif about one being unplayable: I imported a dummy map, made a button and removed the map since I didn't want anyone to enter the real map yet since it is not done in any way.

Thank you so much for those opinions! Really helps me a lot!
And don't worry, there was not much more happening after the bridge anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.