• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Ragnarok Absolute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
2is9kzk.png

• Introduction
  • Story
  • Features
  • Media
  • Progress
  • Special Thanks

2627eya.png

This is actually not a new project of mine, the map has been laying on my hard-drive for over a year.
It was originally a terrain request from me to Heinvers because I felt like it was boring to create maps in medicore terrain (my own).
Needless to say, I never finished it. I study at a college with focus on game creation and for my final year in collage I
am supposed to create a game but I convinced my teachers to allow me to create mine in Warcraft III.
So yeah, this project will see the light of day otherwise I fail school along with two classmates who I will develop it with, though I doubt they will drop by here.

Regarding actual information about the project; It's a singleplayer survival map where you mostly focus on structures to survive the waves of enemies.
As such, I personally consider it a borderline tower defense map as well. The map takes place in a futuristic apocalypse world which can hopefully be noticed in the screenshots.
The main hero will be able to attack and have his abilities as well, however that will not work alone in the long run.
If anyone was wondering what the name came from, Ragnarok is basically another word for apocalypse/end of the world, taken from the forn Nordic mythology during the dark age.
With that said, the story which will not impact the gameplay is based on the Nordic mythology.

30rsawm.png

As foretold, the end of the world, also known as Ragnarok came to pass.
Many of the deities fell in order to protect Midgard (the world), very few survived the extreme event but as planned the strong survived they would be the ones to rebuild the world once more.
However, as fate would have it no man survived, leaving the few remaining gods alone in a world of solitude unable to repopulate it.
The world is now roamed by the Cursed Ones and most life has declined with their arrival.
Midgard only has one more chance to avoid the absolute Ragnarok as one ice giant accidentally were raised from the dead and may impact the world, for better or worse.

971wch.png

icons_15139_btn.jpg
Ancient Scrolls
There will be ways to obtain Ancient Scrolls which will make the player able to witness (flashback) scenes which describes the somewhat confusing introduction to the map.

icons_5937_btn.jpg
Three Games Modes
We'll be aiming for three game modes, though they do not alter the gameplay completely. However the method to achieve the goal (survive) will be slightly altered.

Tyr's Legacy
Kill to win.

Tome of Yggdrasil
Protect the growing parts from corruption.

Gullveig's Grimmore
Make sure the Ragnarok suceed by empowering the cursed ones.

icons_12788_btn.jpg
Quickcast Skillshots
All abilities of the hero will be quickcast skillshots.

icons_7590_btn.jpg
Intense Gameplay
Fast-paced and intense gameplay.

2mfwu4n.jpg

7c0bed3c54d9e208298085d1f5a254d1.png

83a4ea6a964fe849f564bc87eb937f2e.png

j10wat.jpg

Terrain
[95%]

Gameplay
[5%]

Story
[25%]

Special Thanks

Heinvers - The terrain
Forsaken - Banners used in the thread

Last edited:
Level 6
Liking the atmosphere, looking forward for the demo. I'm more interested in which department you study though.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
You mispelled college.

That's quite ironic. Thanks for pointing that out.

Liking the atmosphere, looking forward for the demo. I'm more interested in which department you study though.
Well I study game creation, with focus on programming.
Though I have to do math and all that boring stuff as well.

Also, thanks.

Level 6
Despite the math. I think ur study field is fun. Wish I was studying game creation.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
What if I told you that Yggdrasil, Ragnarok and Asgard are actual terms from the norse mythology and the animes you mentioned simply stole the names? :)

Systems, not really unless I find it noteworthy. I use a DDS and all that stuff but quite frankly every map does that and so I do not consider it a feature.
As of now, I only have one hero planned because that will be easier for balance. It's highly possible that I allow the user to select among a number of spells though.

Level 21
What if I told you that Yggdrasil, Ragnarok and Asgard are actual terms from the norse mythology and the animes you mentioned simply stole the names? :)
Yeah,Asgard is some realm of the Gods,Ragnarok is the end of the world and Yggdrasil is some tree of life.Maybe that's where blizzard got the name for the original tree of life,Nordrassil

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I've been working on a Fullscreen Ability Selection system which is finished.

If anyone want to suggest ideas for abilities, that would be helpful. Only requirement is that it needs to be a skillshot of some sort. And preferably not super-mega complex.

Once a bunch of them are coded the tooltips will be added to the main post.

Status
Not open for further replies.