• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Powerslave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Powerslave - SPRPG

Pwslv1.png

Story
The kingdom is on the verge of peril. The undead are roaming through the lands. The king doesn't seem to care and hasn't been seen lately. Variuos opportunity seekers are looking to increase their own power and influence. Many have turned to black arts to cope with the harshness of the surrounding world.
The story is still shaping up. I won't reveal much at this point, the story will unfold when progress is made.

Features

• Hero selection
  • Intro cinematic
  • About 4-5 levels of playable map
  • Three heroes
  • 15 custom spells coded with vJASS
  • Scripted boss fight (he will pwn j00 arse!)

Heroes

LichDescription
Lich.jpg
A lich capable of powerful manipulative magic with great offensive power but offers very little in the ways of survival.
  • Bolt Wave
  • Electrical Link
  • Telekinesis
  • Mind Push
  • Iron Maiden

Undead KnightDescription
Knight.jpg
A knight capable of dealing with heightened damage intake. Can deal with single targets and masses with easy.
  • Penetrate Armor
  • Adrenaline
  • Shield Charge
  • Pulverize
  • Hammer of Hades

BattlemageDescription
Bmage.jpg
A fierce mage who relies partly on his melee capabilities.
  • Rampage
  • Earthshaker
  • Soul Steal Aura
  • Demonic Bolt
  • Black Hole

Systems

Armor system
Each point of armor reduces default attack damage by one point. Units have spell resistance, which works in percentages.
Revive system
Units get revived for continuous looting. Creeps won't revive while a hero is nearby.
Attribute system
During each level up, you get attribute points that you can spend freely on strenght, agility and intelligence. In the future, maybe in health and mana also.

You can spend attribute- and skill points in a character screen. You can choose 3 class spesific abilities and 3 non-class spesific abilities. There will be at least 4 class spesific abilities for each class.

WIP shots
CSnew1.jpg

Inventory system
Now comes with full screen inventory.
Item stacking
Yes, for potions.
Drop system
Random loot. Items get a chance of getting a prefix and a suffix. Expect items such as Stunning Amulet of Protection and Leeching Ring of Mana.
Attack Type change system
Your attack type changes automatically when equipping weapons. Your armor type changes when equipping different body armors.
Scripted boss fights
Boss fights are scripted and they have custom spells written in vJASS.
Difficulties
The map supports five different difficulties from walk in a park to very demanding.

Screenshots

Sht1.jpg

Lich and Bolt Wave

Sht2.jpg

Warrior and Shield Charge

Sht3.jpg

Battlemage and Earthshaker

Sht4.jpg

Sht5.jpg

Sht6.jpg

P3_3.jpg

Note that shadows are not rendered in these pics.

P3_im1.jpg

P3_im2.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_091811_120750_01.jpg

Some abilities:
Projectile system:

Change log

v_002
*Boss is easier
*Added pathing blockers
*Armor value updates correctly
*Player properties changed
*If items have no prefix/suffix, it will state that in multiboard
*+1 skill point at level 1
*Lich ultimate has level requirement
*Preload more things
*More items drop and higher chance for affixes
*Changed creep guard distance
*Sylvan and Reaper now have origin and chest attachment points

v_Alpha_003 @ 02.01.2011
*Fixed a bug that caused a fatal error when trying to load a saved game
*Added character screen functionality

Credits

IF YOUR NAME IS MISSING, PLEASE CONTACT ME

shamanyouranus:
Antigravitytarget effect

sPy:
Shockwave model

Weep:
Arcane Missile

HappyTauren:
Arcane Knight

Pyramidehead:
Nether Mage

Punisher_x:
Custom ground textures

Kwaliti:
Dark Portal

Crazyrussian:
Command Icons
Various ability icons

unwirklich:
Nerubian interface

Born2Modificate:
High-Res Doodad Pack

Alastor:
Scourge Mage

Oniwaga:
Ifrit unit model

General Frank:
Orb models
Potion models

Ampharos_222:
Nereid (Lich model)

KelThuzad:
BTNCharge

Palaslayer:
BTNDamagedShield
BTNPD3WizElectrocute

Cloudwolf:
BTNCWMagicAura

4eNNightmare:
BTNNetherSwap

The_Silent:
BTNUnholyAuraV2

Viiva:
BTNNecromancy

Gottfrei:
Sylvan unit model
Conjurer unit model
Reaper unit model

dickxunder:
Unbroken sage unit model

olofmoleman:
Rancor unit model

-Berz-
BTNSymbolofStrenght
BTNSymbolofAgility
BTNSymbolofIntelligence

Music:
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Boss music)
Jerry Goldsmith - Arthur's Farewell (Openin cinematic)

I will gladly take suggestions. What do you want to see? Do some spells suck, do you have better ones in mind? What kind of systems do you want? How can you help with this project? I'm mainly looking for icons and possibly unit models.

Currently I need a model to replace the shield dude. Weaponless unit with shield slam/shield charge animations would be sweet.

The map is protected. Final version will be unprotected. Enable sounds to listen intro music and boss fight music.

Version 002 was updated in January 2011.
Version 003 was updated in March 2011 so it is a very old version and lacking many features.
Newest version here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/powerslave-210564/

Attachments

• Powerslave_Alpha_002.w3x
    19.9 MB · Views: 568
  • Powerslave_Alpha_003.zip
    20.1 MB · Views: 566
Last edited:
Level 37
From the screenshots this actually looks quite nice.

Thanks.

Seems to be a very nice and interesting project but 19 Mb isn't too big? ~.~

It's single player so it doesn't really matter. 19 MB doesn't take long to download. And the size is a non-issue after that. I'm using lot's of imports to improve the quality :)

Level 12
wow finally a project Maker :D
I shall try it out and tell you what I think too :)

Level 37
Hey Maker, I tested your map and here is some bugs and thought about the map.

Bugs:

• There are many slots open before starting the game. Close the ones that are not meant for the player.
  • The starting difficulty dialog was confusing. Just put easy normal and hard or something similar.
  • I equipped a ring that I got from the first enemies and it didn't give me anything(multiboard was empty). Most of the items give something.
  • Rings doesn't have any description.
  • I took a ring, used it to have it's bonus, dropped the item to the ground and still had the bonus.
  • I could run through stones at the east side of the map(near end of the map).

Suggestions

• Make the items improve stats a lot more.
  • Make the enemies weaker, or increase the characters somehow stronger.
  • Make the leveling faster, add a second ability point instantly or find other way to make the game-player more entertainment.
  • The camera felt like it wasn't practical. I suggest that player should be able to move it.
    • Either just remove it.
    • Make player able to move it(for example with arrow keys).
    • Or both which I recommend.

My first try

I took a Battlemage and Rampage ability. The game-play was boring and repetive. Just spamming one ability that I even couldn't control. I wished to have a new level so that I could gain second ability, but I simply died after 5 minutes.

Second Try

I took that lich with summoning ability. Oh, how I love summoning abilities but when I used it wasn't a summoning ability at all, I was disappointed. This time the game-play felt somewhat easier, but in the end I died pretty fast.

Third Try

This time I took that warrior and Shield Charge. The ability was finally something that I can call satisfying, it made the game-play a little more smoother and tactical. This time I was able to go a little bit further than before. However, killing enemies became quickly boring as I only had one ability and nothing cool really happened.

With my superb patient, I finally met something or someone. A TROLL BOSS! After few seconds he jumped to a column and shot some green ball, that was something bosses should do. Anyway, the entertainment run out fast because the boss was simply too strong and I died.

I played all tries with that difficulty "as it should be" or something.

Overall:

At the moment, everything depends of that first ability choice. This is not a good thing. If you simply pick a wrong ability you are doomed. The game itself looks cool: there's an interface, fine terrain, good looking models and some never-seen systems. The game-player however is boring and that is the thing you should improve a lot to make it more smoother, tactical and interesting.

Level 37
Hey Maker, I tested your map and here is some bugs and thought about the map.

There are many slots open before starting the game. Close the ones that are not meant for the player.
Alright.

The starting difficulty dialog was confusing. Just put easy normal and hard or something similar.
Very easy : I am four
Easy : Timid
Normal : I'm not sure
Hard : TWIMTBP
Very Hard : Insane

I equipped a ring that I got from the first enemies and it didn't give me anything(multiboard was empty). Most of the items give something.
Then the item had no affixes. It's not a bug :)

Rings doesn't have any description.
That's also not a bug since it's impossible to randomize stats and show them on the item. Left click them to show the stats in the multiboard.

I took a ring, used it to have it's bonus, dropped the item to the ground and still had the bonus.
What bonus was it?

I could run through stones at the east side of the map(near end of the map).
Yeah, there are some pathing blockers to be added- I'm glad you idn't try to run up the mountain from the ruins side ;D

Make the items improve stats a lot more.
You were fighting tier 1 units, so they drop tier 1 stuff. Armor bonus is limited to 3 for tier 1. There are 5 tiers currently, max armor bonus at tier 5 is 15. Equipping 5 of those gives 75 armor :)

Make the enemies weaker, or increase the characters somehow stronger.
There's not much balance with enemies/abilities at the moment. Easier difficulties lower the damage/health of units and harder increase them.

Make the leveling faster, add a second ability point instantly or find other way to make the game-player more entertainment.
That's a good suggestion, I'll add another point in the beginning. I'll also add more enemies, but make them softer. I haven't yet experimented with leveling spedd at all.

The camera felt like it wasn't practical. I suggest that player should be able to move it.

I'll see what can be done.

I took a Battlemage and Rampage ability. The game-play was boring and repetive. Just spamming one ability that I even couldn't control. I wished to have a new level so that I could gain second ability, but I simply died after 5 minutes.

Rampage is a simple, late add on ability to make the hero have 5 abilities. It may get replaced or modified. Any suggestions?

I took that lich with summoning ability. Oh, how I love summoning abilities but when I used it wasn't a summoning ability at all, I was disappointed. This time the game-play felt somewhat easier, but in the end I died pretty fast.
Which ability is that? Pick easier difficulty :)

The game-player however is boring and that is the thing you should improve a lot to make it more smoother, tactical and interesting.

Yeah, I have only completed the systems, no it's time to terrain and improve gameplay.

Than you so much for testing!

Level 37
Maker said:
Then the item had no affixes. It's not a bug :)
Then it's confusing, make it so that players will actually understand. I'm sure eventually someone will come and tell the same thing I did. Do something for it.

Maker said:
That's also not a bug since it's impossible to randomize stats and show them on the item. Left click them to show the stats in the multiboard.
Aha, now I get it. Yea item descriptions sucks.

Maker said:
What bonus was it?
I'm not sure maybe that +4 hit points.

Maker said:
Which ability is that?
The one that has a word "haunt" somewhere I don't remember anything else.

Maker said:
Pick easier difficulty :)
Well, it was the difficulty that was recommended for me so I played with that. :p

Maker said:
Yeah, I have only completed the systems, no it's time to terrain and improve gameplay.
Good. Also remember to add few cinematics and things to show some story and give the player to get interesting to this RPG. At the moment it's just a "grind fest".

About Rampage, I don't like that you cannot control your character while casting this ability, but if you want to keep it, then I suggest somehow combine it with that Shield ability. When used, the hero just run through objects and enemy units that are hit takes damage and for example are stunner or slowed.

About the abilities

• Either you write in the description "this ability is good when you have a lot of level"(not sure about that)
  • Or make abilities that aren't useful at the beginning a level to be acquired(not sure about that too).
  • Or make all abilities useful in the beginning and in the end(this I would prefer but it will be hard).

And I forgot one really important thing in my last reply: Good luck with your project and don't give up!

Level 37
Small update to version 002:

v_Alpha_002 @ 31.01.2011
*Boss is easier
*Added pathing blockers
*Armor value updates correctly
*Player properties changed
*If items have no prefix/suffix, it will state that in multiboard
*+1 skill point at level 1
*Lich ultimate has level requirement
*Preload more things
*More items drop and higher chance for affixes
*Changed creep guard distance
*Sylvan and Reaper now have origin and chest attachment points

I'm not sure maybe that +4 hit points.

Hit point bonuses start from 25. Well, I fixed armor bonus issue.

The one that has a word "haunt" somewhere I don't remember anything else.

Propably the ultimate. Now it has level requirement of 5 instead of 1.

Last edited:
Level 37
v_Alpha_003 @ 02.01.2011

*Fixed a bug that caused a fatal error when trying to load a saved game
*Added character screen functionality
Yes boys and girls, now you can save and load! This caused the critical error when loading a saved game:

• Set p1 = (Center of HeroSelect2 <gen>)
  • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for Player 1 (Red) emitting Black mask from p1 to a radius of 1000.00
  • --The following line was the culprit, so I removed it--
  • call RemoveLocation(udg_p1)

Took me quite a while to figure out, but apparently it can't re-create the visi modifier if the point is removed.

Then another feature:

The character screen, where you can select and level up skills and attributes by clicking the corresponding icons. WIP screenies:

Char_Scr_1.jpg

Char_Scr_2.jpg

This made me think you could choose your skills from a pool of available skills. All chars would have 2-3 skills they can freely choose. And you could unlearn skills to get rid of ones you don't like and try new ones.

I'm impressed by the sheer scale of the map, very impressive terrain. I haven't really played for long, but that's what I wanted to leave a comment about. Impressive stuff sir, impressive stuff.

Thanks. Now that the core systems are done and working, I can focus on gameplay.

I'm curious, why is it called PowerSlave though?

The story is slightly inspired by a song of that name. I won't say more not to spoil it :)

Level 12
Ahh finaly a singleplayer rpg ;) Since you said something about affixes and such, then I was wondering, are you using BX-TRS? Just without the full screen inventory? I haven't tested the map yet so I don't know how it looks. But from the screenshots it looks nice, keep up the work and don't let it die.

Level 5
I really like the work you have done on this map - will be watching :)

Main issues I had:

*FAR too much loot is dropped by creeps - even with the extended inventory I had way to many rings, and way too many Magic Damage orbs were dropped.
*When you click a ring to get its description in the multiboard on the top right corner, some of them with longer descriptions don't have the entire description shown.

Must have more!!! And the terrain is really beautiful - good job!

Level 33
Mini Review
Text Message System
I discovered it is pretty annoying when you're running on the same place and the text message will be stacked, example:

East - Old Temple
North - Castle Ludwig
West - Heirnjar

East - Old Temple
North - Castle Ludwig
West - Heirnjar

This is the actual text message appear at the game screen

Suggestion

You can use this to clear up the "stacking text message":
  • Actions
    • Cinematic - Clear the screen of text messages for (All players)
    • Cinematic - Send transmission to (All players) from *YourCuteUnit* named <Empty String>: Play No sound and display East - bla bla bla. Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
I'm pretty sure the stacking message problem will be solved :D

Item System
It is pretty annoying that the ring I found, I must equip it and click on it just to its functionality
At least, you can provide the information at the "Text - Description"
We can actually see its functionality, before we can even take the item and it pleases me :D

Level 37
You can use this to clear up the "stacking text message":

I will look into the text message issue. I'll do something about it.

It is pretty annoying that the ring I found, I must equip it and click on it just to its functionality
At least, you can provide the information at the "Text - Description"

It's impossible to display the stats in text - description due to the random affix system.

I'll come up with a system that allow you to identify the item without picking it up.

Thanks for testing.

Next version contains

Two new areas terrained
New boss fight
3 new spells
Revamped character screen
1-2 new cinematics
Small improvements here and there
Takes maybe two weeks.

Level 5
Wow Finally a project Maker, can't wait to try it.
Btw did you use my idea on that armour system?
(funny how people can inspire others to create awesome things)
Anyway I will test it and give you my opinion about it.

Level 37
New WIP of the character screen:

Char_Scrn_3.jpg

The plus icon exits the screen.
You can increase str, int and agi with the three topmost icons.
The last three icons are for class spesific abilities, non-class spesific abilities and for ultimates. You can scroll through available abilities with the arrow buttons.

Would 19 MB make it lag?

Nope. About 10 MB of that is music which I could compress.

Haha... What does subscribing do exactly though?

Threads you have posted in will be displayed in the list in your user control panel.

whoa i really like the terrain, it reminds of a game i use to play that i liked

Thanks!

Btw did you use my idea on that armour system?

Your request made me do the armor system, yes.

Cool cinematic man!

Thanks!

Level 5
btw i loved the way you used those Iron Maiden songs, Up the Irons from the Netherlands,
just love it

Level 27
I also encountered that when you equip a +1 Damage ring you can equip another and the damage will still be there... not while i dropped it through.

Whenever i consumed a potion another one would fall onto my heroes place.

Also a bit weird that stats would stay in the leaderboard when i drop the item.

When i entered the boss area after fleeing from him i couldn't see him so i got back and back inside again and suddenly he was above me on the arches damaging me with that green bolt.

I pressed F10 to pause the game so i could write this and the music stopped.

I killed the boss while he did that vanish thing. So he was dead, but the scripted thing still ran and i kept hearing these roars and got a knockback now and then.

Somehow my camera changed after the bossfight but i noticed it later on. Was a bit confusing so don't know what might've really caused it but i guess the boss?

And maybe change the euhm (-10) things about the damage? looks a bit messy i don't know what they mean but the text overlaps really quick.

The footman seemed to explode without reason cause that unknown guy wasn't animating anything ? XD

Nice terrain, that's what i call tile variation lol! =p

Level 37
I've been doing some progress with the ability selection thingy and also with terraining.

The next update will be more major than I planned and so it will take more time. Instead of small updates, I'll do larger ones.

I can't say when the next update will be but I'll be terraining my ass off during the next three days.

I also encountered that when you equip a +1 Damage ring you can equip another and the damage will still be there... not while i dropped it through.

You mean like +1 damage ring and +2 damage ring totals +3 damage? That's intentional.

Whenever i consumed a potion another one would fall onto my heroes place.

Will be fixed.

Also a bit weird that stats would stay in the leaderboard when i drop the item.

Might get changed.

When i entered the boss area after fleeing from him i couldn't see him so i got back and back inside again and suddenly he was above me on the arches damaging me with that green bolt.

I pressed F10 to pause the game so i could write this and the music stopped.

I killed the boss while he did that vanish thing. So he was dead, but the scripted thing still ran and i kept hearing these roars and got a knockback now and then.

Somehow my camera changed after the bossfight but i noticed it later on. Was a bit confusing so don't know what might've really caused it but i guess the boss?

You managed to kill the boss? Well done. Yeah, the boss script runs even though he dies. Will be fixed.

And maybe change the euhm (-10) things about the damage? looks a bit messy i don't know what they mean but the text overlaps really quick.

It's the armor reduction, used for debugging. It will be removed.

The footman seemed to explode without reason cause that unknown guy wasn't animating anything ? XD

Hmm..I am ordering the guy to perform spell animation. I'll investigate the issue.

Nice terrain, that's what i call tile variation lol! =p

Thanks, your comments were much appreciated.

Level 2
Tested the map and it was really nice. Was dissapoint couldnt do too much tho D: But I love the fact that you called it Powerslave, Iron Maiden ftw!

Level 27
You mean like +1 damage ring and +2 damage ring totals +3 damage? That's intentional.

No i dropped the ring and the +1 bonus was still there. But i didn't have it on me anymore.

You managed to kill the boss? Well done. Yeah, the boss script runs even though he dies. Will be fixed.

Didn't get him the first time but i gathered like 6-8 potions afterwards and did that massive damage ability from the warrior guy(?)

Level 30
Spotted this intriguing development, I like the way you made those advanced triggers your making for your map, and the combination of the dark side which I really am interested. I suggest you have a good time making this project of yours, and I hope you will successfully complete this project, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.