• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Need beta tester :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi,
I just released the second beta version of the first map in my WoW ORPG project.
I decided to make "Ashenvale" as the first map.
And I need some feedback on it. The map is far from complete, but I released the beta so I can see that all triggers work as they should work. I have big plans for this project ;)
Thanks for testing! :)

Attachments

• WoW ORPG - Ashenvale 0.2.w3x
    6.1 MB · Views: 119
Level 20
I am free for testing the map.If you want...
Well.I did some testing.
Two major problems.

-The offensive item do stack both on stats and special effect...
-Creeps don't respawn on their initial position they respawn on the spot they are killed
-Creeps follow you till they kill you or you kill them <- this two things can lead to some "unfair" creepin and gold income as you can pull them all the way to the base where you can farm them more quickly even if you die AND you get to sell all the items they drop.

The quest did not show any problem as well as the elven and orc AI.

I would sugest to add a pack with six free slots a fountain and a tp spell.
Make deaths more punishable (e.x lose gold,item fall,lose spells etc)

Last edited:
Level 8
Thanks for feedback DD Mikasa :)

I dont care if the offensive item stack on stats, but the passives are not supposed to stack. Im pretty sure the special effect/passive dont stack? Do the lifesteal or the crit stack? :p - If it does I will probably make it so you have to equip weapon in inventory slot 1. If not the item will drop to the ground on your heroes feet. And if you pick up a weapon item with a weapon already in inventory slot1, then you cannot pick it up unless you drop the item you currently have in slot1. I did that with my star wars map in it worked fine.

I agree on the creep respawn thing, but I dont know how to make them respawn at their initial position. If someone could tell me the trigger I would appreciate it. This is the current trigger I use for respawn atm, I take stag as a example:

EVENT:
A unit dies
CONDITION:
(Unit-type of (Dying unit Equal to)) Ashenvale Stag
ACTIONS:
Wait 50 seconds
Wait until ((Unit-type of (Dying unit)) Equal to Ashenvale Stag), Checking every 2 seconds
Unit - Create 1 Ashenvale Stag for player 12 (brown) at (position of (Dying unit))

I made it so that if you drag units into town they will be moved to a random position in the map. But I quess I forgot to do this to all creep unit-types :p I will fix that.

I will make a fountain and tp spell :)
On my star wars orpg map I used to have death punishment with a 30 seconds death respawn, but sometimes I saw that some players just left the game when they died so I changed it to 5 seconds, and used the same triggers for this map. Loosing gold at death was a nice suggestion :)
Thanks a lot for feedback, really appreciate it :)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Played some time and I have to say, I like it. Although it is really unfinished at the moment, I can already sense a certain RPG feeling.

Things I appreciate

• Attachment models, like armor, weapon
  • balanced items, although they give less damage, but good survivability
  • Quests seem to be well-made and offer additional gameplay as you aren't always focused on them ( like collecting those leaves or stag meat while hunting down creeps)
  • strength of creeps, they may seem overpowered at the beginning, but they are weak after the hero received some good items and spells, but they stay in groups or are additional strong so you never have challenge-problems
  • free spell choice !
  • item rarities
  • events ( I think there are, but I am not sure, may ping events on minimap, like ambushes or attacks on the Nightelves Base, not only text, please)
Things I noticed

• Too many spells drop, in my opinion, it would be better if they drop rarer ( yes I know it is only beta)
  • Ping events please, only text is confusing
  • same things DD Mikasa mentioned
  • blue orc items seem too expensive aren't they ? I mean 1800 gold, it is reachable, but hard
  • I don't get why this map is called WOW, as it makes me think of WOW Heroes Return, but I also expected more...yes, more lore or story ( yes, yes it is beta, I know) or HQ models, I don't know, it just look to simple at the moment ( I refer to models), I suggest that you add some custom models, maybe
I would be excited to play this RPG again !

Level 8
1. Too many spells drop, in my opinion, it would be better if they drop rarer ( yes I know it is only beta)
1. I agree :)

2. Ping events please, only text is confusing
2. I agree hehe, there are only 2 "big battle" events atm. But about every 100 seconds or something there are smaller battles on the road. When the "song of elune" is played (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhhvWeXHjP0) each base send some small troops towards eachother. I was thinking about "shared vision" for some seconds when major battle events happens, but mini map ping was even a better idea :)

3. same things DD Mikasa mentioned
3. Already on it

4. blue orc items seem too expensive aren't they ? I mean 1800 gold, it is reachable, but hard
4. Agree, I will add more items to vendors with time and balance the item cost

5. I don't get why this map is called WOW, as it makes me think of WOW Heroes Return, but I also expected more...yes, more lore or story ( yes, yes it is beta, I know) or HQ models, I don't know, it just look to simple at the moment ( I refer to models), I suggest that you add some custom models, maybe
5. The reason I called it wow was that in the beginning I wanted to recreate wow and make 1 map each zone, make a warsong gulch dota like map, make hard raids and stuff. I will change the name in future :)
I want to add more custom models indeed, but the problem is that the map is already 6mb. There are so many item attachments, even if they for example take 5kb for this helmet, 8kb for this armor, 4kb for this sword, 7kb for this icon and so on. It really stacks up and take lots of space when you have hundreds of them :p

This was a nice review mate, things you appreciated and things you did not like so much was a good way of telling me what you want. Btw I get help from a dude here on hive to create good item attachment models that people are familiar with in wow. Like for example this will be one of the new items you can buy with honor points: http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=714/gladiators-pursuit

Really appreciate to get feedback as it motivates me to continue with the map :)
What do people feel about the terrain? I tried to recreate vanilla wow ashenvale template. Been using hours reading my old original wow strategy guide and wowhead.com

There will be lots of changes in the next version :)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

2. Ping events please, only text is confusing
2. I agree hehe, there are only 2 "big battle" events atm. But about every 100 seconds or something there are smaller battles on the road. When the "song of elune" is played (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhhvWeXHjP0) each base send some small troops towards eachother. I was thinking about "shared vision" for some seconds when major battle events happens, but mini map ping was even a better idea :)
Oh, only two events ? I just noticed several times some text, but I never got what it is referring to ( to be honest, I was more focused on playing than on reading texts, so nvm :) ). Oh and I have my sound muted, so maybe ping would be a nice addition to get attention to events. Short visibility is a good way as well tho.

5. I don't get why this map is called WOW, as it makes me think of WOW Heroes Return, but I also expected more...yes, more lore or story ( yes, yes it is beta, I know) or HQ models, I don't know, it just look to simple at the moment ( I refer to models), I suggest that you add some custom models, maybe
5. The reason I called it wow was that in the beginning I wanted to recreate wow and make 1 map each zone, make a warsong gulch dota like map, make hard raids and stuff. I will change the name in future :)
I want to add more custom models indeed, but the problem is that the map is already 6mb. There are so many item attachments, even if they for example take 5kb for this helmet, 8kb for this armor, 4kb for this sword, 7kb for this icon and so on. It really stacks up and take lots of space when you have hundreds of them :p

Oh, does it really stack up that much ? I am currently working on a map with item attachments and I wouldn't have thought that it gets such high.
This was a nice review mate, things you appreciated and things you did not like so much was a good way of telling me what you want. Btw I get help from a dude here on hive to create good item attachment models that people are familiar with in wow. Like for example this will be one of the new items you can buy with honor points: http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=714/gladiators-pursuit
Yes, that is definitely creates a wow-feeling, but I guess file-size will be much higher than other wc3-attachments.

Really appreciate to get feedback as it motivates me to continue with the map :)
I am always glad if I can help :)

What do people feel about the terrain? I tried to recreate vanilla wow ashenvale template. Been using hours reading my old original wow strategy guide and wowhead.com
You are really serious about the map, aren't you ? Well, terrain looks quite okay, although it is really uniform if you look at the whole map. Maybe some more flowers or ground terrain would improve its look, as well as special areas with another or similar design. Never played WOW so I cannot say whether Ashenvale looks this way or not. But I am sure you will do your best to make it look like Ashenvale and it already does like in WC3 !
One suggestion for upcoming versions, maybe add more structures and doodads to bases to give a more living feeling. At the moment, they look rather like random base places in the forest, both Orcs and Elves . But I suppose you will change that in upcoming versions.

There will be lots of changes in the next version :)
I am excited and I would be glad to play it again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.