• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NebRealms (Name Pending)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
NebRealms (Name Pending) v0.15

NebRealms
Got a better name?

About

This map is an RTS with unique gameplay mechanics that are not often found in RTS games. The only two that come to mind that share these mechanics are "Populous: The Beginning" (AKA Populous 3) and Battle Realms. Battles Realms being the game that influenced me to make this "RTS Engine" for many WC3 maps (I would hope) in the future to use this. Mainly just a few variants using this so people wouldn't go insane from playing the same game on the same terrain over and over.

Units

In most RTS games you play, you would pay resources to "magically" spawn units out of that building. Which I'm pretty sure you can admit this is in reality quite odd, but it's something that you do quite often in RTS games and regard it quite common. However, in this instead you have your people over spawn out of your Settlement; Your main building. Houses can increase the maximum amount of units you can control. The more units you have the longer it takes for a new one to spawn.
attachment.php

Clearly nothing special, just your standard techtree here.

Training Units

As you can see, so far you're just left with a bunch of spawned Worker Units. How you obtain specifically talented units is based on where you train them. Say you build a Barracks, if you were to send a Civilian there to train, it would become a melee-oriented soldier. If you build an Archery, it would train there to become a ranged-oriented soldier. Now if you were to send it to train in both it would combine it's learned knowledge and become better in both regards. As you can see if you were to have many buildings like this very fast a mass amount of cross-training possibilities can be made. So far, I'm only letting a unit train in two places maximum or else I would have far too many units to come up with. Plus one or two very specialized buildings. For Heroes I only plan to have them be slightly buffed regular units that you can only have one of at a time. There will be one hero-type per unique unit-type. Example: Units are Soldier, Ranger, and Monk; There will be a Soldier Hero, Ranger Hero, and Monk Hero. I also don't plan on making Heroes extremely overpowered unique units. Rather I plan on them being only slightly stronger than their standard counterparts, an additional ability or two (nothing too major), and a lot more health so they don't die uber fast.
attachment.php

As you can see there are lots of choices. Four Tier 1 Units, Six Tier 2 Units, Ten Tier 3 Units (Heroes), and a second Worker Unit. If I had added 3-way training there would be a LOT more units. If you were to make a mod of this map for example, and you had enough appropriate models you could do it. All the units at the bottom branched off of other units are summoned units.

Resources

On top of the standard WC3 resources, this map has Honour. Honour is accumulated from successful enemy kills. Over long periods of time if you choose not to enter combat with enemy players, your Honour will diminish if it is not spent. Other players who are actively engaged in combat with each other will continue to obtain Honour. Honour is used to train Tier 3 (Hero) Units, Eternalize Ghouls/Ents, and for the stronger unit researches.

Upgrades

Every unit "type" has 2 attack damage upgrades, 2 armour upgrades, and a general upgrade. From that point on each individual unit will have their own upgrade. As well as plenty of others. All the more advanced and powerful upgrades will require honour.

Gameplay

The way it plays out, even though every player will often be approximating around the same amount of units (Especially at the beginning); Any good micromanaging, macromanaging, active, and often battle successful player will be promptly rewarded. Advanced tactics will help players win battles. When to use healers, targeting the right units with the right units, fleeing if and when necessary will all be very important. Every unit has sensical strengths and weaknesses. Just like players. Communicating with others in team games will make it easy to ambush opponents or "friends" who you only use for your own gain.

Game Modes

In the first 15 seconds of the game, the host of the game can setup several of many game modes. Which allow you to changed starting resources, units, reproduction rate and honour rate. You can choose modes which set these individually, or choose Ragnarok Mode (or even Ragnarok Mode 2) which gives a mass amount of all of these for a quick paced game.

Alliance System

This map has a custom alliance system. When in game and when the game has started, you can send several chat commands to Add/Remove Alliances, Show/Hide your unit's vision, and even give armies to allies to help back them up if they really need it.

Post-Script

Please leave any comments about my map, have you the urge; As well please leave any helpful criticisms to help me improve on my methods and my map. Also, I will never "Protect" the map, feel free to fiddle with this, as long as I get some credit ;D. Similarly if you would like to help me work on the main project itself, feel free to ask and offer your services.

In need a decent terrainer for creating the actual terrain that the game will be played on!

Attachments

• NebRealms Building Techtree.PNG
    NebRealms Building Techtree.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 580
  • NebRealms Unit Techtree.PNG
    NebRealms Unit Techtree.PNG
    154.6 KB · Views: 3,115
  • NebRealms v0.15.w3x
    153.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Level 3
I myself didn't notice any bugs in this map, but I'm half awake so I may have missed some things. Overall it is a nice map.
Awesome, good start I suppose, eh?
I like the training idea, I have also thought about making it. But I'm too lazy. :p haven't tested the map right now, I don't have Warcraft on this computer.
:p Try my map as soon as you can then :D.

Also I noticed that the spell description for "Life of the Forest" the Druid spell (based on Force of Nature) shows incorrect min and max damage of the Treant, am I using the data references incorrectly? It should work as far as I know. Anyone?

Edit: Updated version to v0.12, and added techtrees. Check opening post.

Last edited:
Level 12
Also I noticed that the spell description for "Life of the Forest" the Druid spell (based on Force of Nature) shows incorrect min and max damage of the Treant, am I using the data references incorrectly? It should work as far as I know. Anyone?

I don't know, I usually just writes it directly in the description. Might be because it's summon and it depens on the unit and it maybe can't acces to the units stats. I don't know, just guess. :)

Level 3
Updated version to v0.13, and updated techtrees.

Whats has changed:
• New building added; Heroic Monument.
• 10 new Tier 3 (Hero) units added; Knight, Ranger, Arcanist, Cleric, Sentry, Naga, Assassin, Magus, Lich.
• 3 new summoned units added; Health Elemental, Familiar, and Nether Dragon.
• Improved Civilian Spawning system; Added "Spawnboard" to monitor reproduction, and crunched spawning triggers into one trigger, instead of... 25... Yea. Not efficient. But it is now however!

Edit: Does anyone have any icons that would do well for a progress bar on my "Spawnboard"?

Last edited:
Level 3
Bump, new version!

Updated version to v0.14, and updated unit techtree a smidgen.

This map is now setup to be a 1v1 test.

What has changed:
• Added a ridiculous amount of upgrades for all units.
• Ghoul / Ent Eternalization; After the required upgrade you can spend gold and lumber to "eternalize" any Ghoul or Ent to a total limit of 4 (7 with further upgrades). They are stronger and have no limited lifespan.
• New summoned unit added; Hippogryph. Can be used as a mount for a Rogue.
• Improved Spawning triggers.
• New Spawnboard design; Text progress bar, and percentage added (Not that a percentage is really needed).
• Game modes added.
• Victory conditions added; The game now only works in Sandbox mode, or Player versus Player mode. Sandbox mode is when you run the game in the editor, because all player slots are set to "user" it doesn't give you an automatic victory, but if you were to play against no human players and any computer players it would grant automatic victory when the game starts.
• Minor unit balance changes.
• Overhauled training triggers; Now a lot more efficient and easier to modify.
• Lots of miscellaneous other small things.

Please someone try my map with someone else. I need to know how this plays, all my friends I'm normally able to play with have been recently unreachable. :(

Edit: Nevermind, I finally got to play with my friend.

Updated version to v0.14d.

What has changed:
• Victory Conditions trigger fixes.
• Now made it actually playable; Haha woops.
• Made upgraded towers hold 2 units.

Edit:

Updated version to v0.15

What has changed:
• New resource; Honour. Honour is obtained from successfully killing enemies, read opening post for more information.
• Minor balancing changes.
• Alliance triggers added.
• Game modes edited; Added Honour related things.
• Updated "Quest Log" with additional game information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.