• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] My First Campaign!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi all! This is my first attempt at making an RPG Campaign. I'm putting a lot of work into it and I hope everything will work well. I plan for this to be very heavily story based and in the future there will be many more classes that start in different areas complete with their own unique story line. Many maps will ultimately make up this world and traversing between them shouldn't be a problem.

Af of right now, I have a simple start up with back story in the Quests menu. As of right now, only one quest is working, but I plan to have many many quests as well as certain features like a bag system for much larger inventory, Camera angles that follow your character from a more 3rd person vantage with options to adjust angles, a set of many professions which can help out your character greatly as well as reward you with certain things like pets, access to secret places, tools to help survive and just overall fun.

Please try out this little bit of map I have so far and let me know what you like and don't like. Thanks! :ogre_haosis:

Attachments

• World of Epilore - Mage Campaign.w3x
    249.5 KB · Views: 135
Level 6
I've made a ton of progress since last (or at least it feels like a ton lol). No new quests, that's my next objective, but loads more content and what not. Please let me know what you guys think and if there is anything you don't like or any suggestions you have. Thanks!

Attachments

• WoE - MC 0.1.w3x
    269.7 KB · Views: 90
Level 25
Okay, this is understandably a very early alpha.

But I'll take a few small things:
Change the hero mage voice to a mage without a horse in the background ;)
His name is default string.

And all the units need their Art - Projectile Impact Z changed :)
And the shadows need to be decreased in size.

The dialogues can't really fit that much text, perhaps you could change the choices into abilites (channel ability, instant cast).

But it looks promising. :)

Level 6
Okay, this is understandably a very early alpha.

But I'll take a few small things:
Change the hero mage voice to a mage without a horse in the background ;)
His name is default string.

And all the units need their Art - Projectile Impact Z changed :)
And the shadows need to be decreased in size.

The dialogues can't really fit that much text, perhaps you could change the choices into abilites (channel ability, instant cast).

But it looks promising. :)

Thanks for trying it out! Yeah, I meant to fix the sound set for the Wizard to something else, I just kinda spaced it with all the other stuff I've been working on, also same thing with the shadows. What does Art - Projectile Impact Z affect? How would I set that up? Would the dialog choices become abilities and you'd choose them from the unit controls area? Did you try out all the dialog responses? They all work as far as I know.

Level 25
When you shoot at the piggies (you heartless bastard!) you notice that the projectile hits them above their origin, if you set the projectile z height to ~10 instead of 60 you will notice that the projectile will hit closer to their origin instead of into the air.

Just tried one dialogue, but yes. You could just create a dummy unit that have the responses added as abilities, then you select that dummy unit for the player, when the player has selected their choice, you remove the dummy and reselect the hero for the player.

Level 6
The reason for the name of the heroes not having a name is because I was hoping to figure out a way to check their name to the name chosen at the beginning of the game.

Level 7
Map is now testable

Here is my map Labyrinth of Nightmare. It's not complete but testable. It includes some nice constructions.:wink:

Attachments

• Labyrinth of Nightmare.w3x
    11.1 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Level 6
New version! it's coming along pretty nicely. Next I will work on the camera system and further the quest line as well as professions. I'll list the things I can remember off the top of my head that I added/fixed.

-Made a system for professions using dialog menus, recipes can be found in Quests when the first profession has be acquired.
-All units belonging to "Wildlife" and "Undead" now respawn 3 minutes after they die.
-Made the naming system in the beginning of the game color your name Gold. This can be changed if people don't like it in the future.
-Wool can be gathered from sheep after the quest for Brom has been completed. Wool can be used to make Wool Bandages which unlike food, can be used in combat to restore health over time. Food still has the advantage of restoring both health and mana.
-Put in a stacking system that works amazingly, made by "SFilip" here: http://www.thehelper.net/threads/item-stacking.48928/
-Your Hero will now revive at the graveyard by Tybalts camp if killed.
-The Fire Pit in Tybalts camp now gives an aura of warmth that will help your hero restore health and mana much quicker.
-Fixed tons of typos and the missing Proper Names for the heroes.

I'm dedicated to this project and I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon. However, due to financial problems, I will be losing Internet Connection on the 25th meaning I won't be able to update for while but I will still be working on the map as best I can. I just hope I can get through it without needing too much help from the forums. Thank you all for trying my map!

Attachments

• WoE - MC 0.2.w3x
    311.6 KB · Views: 111
Level 6
v0.3!

New version! I managed to get an okay working camera, will need further tweaking to perfect it in the future, but for now, it's doing really well, I like it a lot. Added an equipment system that works pretty well. I'd like to use a better one at some point, but for now this is the only one I could figure out that didn't use an ugly scoreboard. In the future, if I can get the help I need, I may use this system instead: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/vjass-system-custominventory-159130/ Here's a list of some of the things I have done in this update.

-Set the camera to a 3rd person perspective over your character
-Made the intro to the game a little more aesthetic with a rotating camera during the naming sequence.
-Added an equipment system that allows equipping a Head, Shield(offhand), Weapon, Armor, Amulet, and a Ring.
-"Wool Bandages" Recipe can now also be acquired by finding a rare recipe book instead of completing Brom's first quest. In case you choose to be evil and not do their quests.
-Added tons of things to loot tables specific to units and even rare a common world drops that can drop off of any unit owned by Wildlife, Undead Army, and Hostiles.
-After finding out that size doesn't affect single player maps I have begun grabbing several imports to improve the look and feel of the game greatly.

These are the problems I am currently aware of and will be working on:

-Duplicating bug involving the equipment system where if the inventory is full when exiting the equipment menu, the bottom left item in the inventory is duplicated and drops on the ground.
-Respawning bug where units won't respawn if another unit dies before they have respawned.
-Balancing, always balancing.

Here are some things I have planned for the future:

-A bag system that will help with inventory size issues and work well with the equipment and stacking systems already in place.
-Tons more items that can drops from common and rare world drops as well as loot tables for each individual unit type that the player loots.
-Tons of quests that chain from one to another and others that have completely new sources.
-Balancing everything. I would like to make it so that leveling is slow, faster with quests, but well worth each level up.
-Shops that will sell basic goods and equipment and also allow the player to sell junk items and things the don't need.
-A stash system of some sort, suggestion are welcome :)

These are just a few of the things I have planned. Progress is slow, but I'm still quite determined and I'm not losing any drive. Each new challenge only makes me better equipped for the future. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• WoE - MC 0.3.w3x
    400.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Level 3
Hi,

I like the RPG flavor and atmosphere you are creating in your game. It seems everything is well explained, and the interactions are fun.
I also like the inventory system, although I wasn't able to go back once I checked what was in my inventory, how are you supposed to do that?

It makes me curious to play it more, but I do not feel able with the current camera system.
Not only makes it fighting against monsters in the south very inconvenient, in some terrain heights, you can actually not go south at all. That's unfortunate if you have to go there, I got stuck standing against trees. ;)

Level 6
Hi,

I like the RPG flavor and atmosphere you are creating in your game. It seems everything is well explained, and the interactions are fun.
I also like the inventory system, although I wasn't able to go back once I checked what was in my inventory, how are you supposed to do that?

It makes me curious to play it more, but I do not feel able with the current camera system.
Not only makes it fighting against monsters in the south very inconvenient, in some terrain heights, you can actually not go south at all. That's unfortunate if you have to go there, I got stuck standing against trees. ;)

Thanks for trying it out and the feedback! The equipment menu is exited using the 'Esc' Key. Unfortunately there isn't much to choose from in the options for controlling things with the keyboard. Normally the only options you have are the arrow keys but using a command in the cinematics category you can set the 'Esc' Key to things as well. I will be adding more information to the quest menu about the equipment system as well as the stacking and backpack systems.

As for the camera, it does need adjustments I've been playing with it more and more and hopefully it will eventually be right. The reason why it sometimes angles very badly is because of a hill or dip. I wanted to include mountains in my map but it appears that unfortuantely, I may have to make the terrain more level, it wont be flat, but it will have to be more smooth if I want the camera to work right everywhere.

I've recently acquired a working respawn system (thank you Dat-C3 and sentrywiz) and I fixed the duplication issue I was having with the stacking and equipment systems. I have added a Night Elf Village to the far east that will provide many more quests, further the storyline, and provide many more vendors as well as a safe place to recover.

Level 3
Why should you sacrifice the look of your map just for this camera system?

I think it should be possible to adapt the camera to the terrain height with GetLocationZ. In addition, I would really recommend to be able to change the camera angle with the arrow keys, so you can look the direction your character is walking.

Personally i would prefer that the camera is a tid bit more angled from above the character, but that's just a personal preference.

Level 6
v.04!

New Version! I managed to get the Respawn System problem and the Duplication problem fixed. Now both systems are working great, thank you Dat-C3 and sentrywiz! Fixed loads of other things and added much. Some of the new things are:

-A new backpack system has been implemented.
-Added a floating combat text system.
-Added custom music list to the game. Currently there are 3 tracks.
-Built a rough draft of a Night Elf Village that will eventually contain loads of content.
-Made a couple more quests
-Added a vendor to Tybalts Camp and the Night Elf Village
-Improved the terrain and added many new decorations and a road as well as a lake and river

Known bugs are:

-First aid Recipe Book is creating another set of dialog buttons

Currently Balancing and adding more content are all that's ahead of me now. I may run into more problems as time progresses but I think I have managed to get over the biggest speed bumps for now. I know when it comes time to make dungeon maps and connect them properly. I know I will need lots of help when that time comes, but I think it will all be worth it. As always, suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• WoE - MC 0.4.w3x
    11 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Level 6
0.5!

Hey all, I'm back to developing my map! I have done quite a bit this time including made a custom fort which I think looks badass. I now have quests that lead up to it and if you do the quests you can gain entry to the fort as well. In the next update I will have many quests and events associated with the fort.

New Things

-Several new story quests involving the undead.
-New Items
-A new music track and a system to play different music during the day and night
-Fort located north west in the woods across the river.
-Working system for opening and closing the gate if you have access.
-Many Spells including a spellbook system for storing all the spells you will be getting through out the game.

Known Bugs

-Recipe Books are still making duplicate dialog buttons.
-Some quests can be turned in repeatedly if the quest giver is clicked multiple times quickly

Future Objectives

-Much more quests!
-More Items
-More Spells
-Huge events
-Random encounters with rare monsters that have chances to drop awesome items
-More pets
-and much more!

Attachments

• WoE - MC 0.5.zip
    22 MB · Views: 74
Status