• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Monter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12

MONTER2%20version%20B.png

- A blatant Dark Souls ripoff for Warcraft III -
Demo Link (New) | Progress Report Videos

SUMMARY

• Gameplay
    Gameplay is focused on exploration, challenging boss fights, and simply killing stuff.
    There are many secrets and such to discover, since the explorable area is quite large.
    This game does not have a storyline.
  • Combat system
    Monter2 uses a hack-and-slash combat system inspired by Monster Hunter and Dark Souls.
    There are currently four weapon classes - sword, hammer, spear, and bow.
    Enemies also utilize the combat system, each with their own unique behaviors.
  • Game length
    In a typical playthrough, about 4 to 5 hours.
    It is possible to complete the game in less than an hour, however.
  • Solo and co-op
    Enemy health is adjusted according to the number of players present, making the game
    suitable for solo and co-op play.
  • Other features
    Monter2 uses custom animations which were made for this game specifically.
    This game also uses an original soundtrack.

WEAPON DETAIL

There are four weapon classes: sword, hammer, spear, and bow.
Movesets and animations are unique to each class.

Sword

Hammer

Spear

Bow

[td]
wpn-sword2.jpg
[/td][td] The Sword is capable of delivering swift attacks and with
minimal risk, making it the ideal choice for newcomers.
It does not have any outstanding qualities otherwise, but is
still an effective weapon.
[Short Demonstration]
[/td]
[td]
wpn-hammer2.jpg
[/td] The Hammer boasts heavy, hard-hitting strikes and high
stunning power. However, its attacks are slow and leave
the user vulnerable.
The Hammer has a special charge-up attack that is capable
of dealing immense damage.
[Short Demonstration]
[td]
wpn-spear.jpg
[/td] The Spear has the highest range of all the melee weapons.
Spear thrusts deal the most damage at the very tip of the
attack, but deal reduced damage at a close range.
Spear users may also employ attacks which use the shaft
of the spear, inflicting knockback and a slowing status effect.
[td]
wpn-bow2.jpg
[/td] The Bow is a ranged weapon that is capable of using
various arrow types, each with certain effects. The Special
Shot ability allows the user to fire augmented versions of
each arrow; for example, a normal arrow becomes a flurry
of arrows in its special form.
Finally, the Bow uses a critical range mechanic which
increases arrow damage when firing from a certain distance.

Last edited:
Level 16
Oh my god :O

You are continuing monter!

remember when we tested the map together? xD

it was an awesome map, really fluid combat,
I really loved its camera system when locked on, that
I reproduced it in my project Mercenaries
for the bosses ;P

Your maps are truly inspiring, sadly the previous
Monter lacks recognition from the community ;/

Last edited:
Level 12
A lot of hack and slash WC3 RPG games go down the drain. But you look determined.

This will be one of those games I would play, keep up the work n00b. Cool name too ^^
+rep

Thanks. Also, to get something off my chest: the title is an obvious misspelling of "monster", a joke placeholder name I used until I found out that I'm ass at naming things

Oh my god :O

You are continuing monter!

remember when we tested the map together? xD

it was an awesome map, really fluid combat,
I really loved its camera system when locked on, that
I reproduced it 9n my project Mercenaries
for the bosses ;P

Your maps are truly inspiring, sadly the previous
Monter lacks recognition from the community ;/

Yeah, I remember you from the last thread. Hi.

I didn't really expect there to be a long-lasting interest in the first Monter. I think this mostly stems from the fact that there wasn't really any feeling of progression (i.e. lack of save codes), and probably that I dropped the map like an abortion the moment I released it and never updated it 8^)

I'll try to give Mon2er a little more longevity this time around.

Level 12
Is multiplayer included ? I very like your project, and think it's awesome that you focus also on the open world. When we can try it ?

Good luck !!!

The map is for 4 players. I've thought about adding more player slots, though.

I might release a demo version once the first area of the game is completed. Can't really give you a solid date, though, since my work ethic is pretty sporadic. Also, I sometimes host this game on Battle.net, but it's kind of rare.

Level 9
The map is for 4 players. I've thought about adding more player slots, though.

I might release a demo version once the first area of the game is completed. Can't really give you a solid date, though, since my work ethic is pretty sporadic. Also, I sometimes host this game on Battle.net, but it's kind of rare.

can i test it ? and if it is uncompleted, if you can send it to me on my email "[email protected]" . I have watched vids of gameplay, and i so excited can't wait to chek it !!!! PLEASE, let me test it ! :grin:

Level 12
What I can see from the mini-map, the map is very small o.o

are you going to expand it?

Yes. I still have all of this space to take up:

map.png

can i test it ? and if it is uncompleted, if you can send it to me on my email "[email protected]" . I have watched vids of gameplay, and i so excited can't wait to chek it !!!! PLEASE, let me test it ! :grin:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you'll have to wait for when it's ready. Sorry, man.

If it's any consolation, the first area will probably be done within the year. (No promises, though.)

Level 16

map.png

I do hope the map bounds will be filled with something :p

I love the Idea, I wish we can work together someday, all your
ideas seems really fun! :grin: (I can do Terraining & Triggering, and an expert in Object Editor!)

Seems like I found another reason to not leave wc3 yet, I will look up to the updates!

Are still online on Garena these days?

I played the first Monter again, there is a bug with the Scorpion's green stings, it appears at the starting point when I died (Probably center of the map?).

It might be caused by no reference to any point from the variable.

Last edited:
Level 12
I do hope the map bounds will be filled with something :p

I love the Idea, I wish we can work together someday, all your
ideas seems really fun! :grin: (I can do Terraining & Triggering, and an expert in Object Editor!)

I'm actually pretty lazy/bad/uninspired when it comes to terraining, so maybe it'll be something I'll need help with in the future.

Are still online on Garena these days?
I don't really use it. I like that smooth, silky zero delay, but it's not really a good place to be testing my maps, I think? From what I recall, the join rate was about on the same level as Battle.net, but I think it's dealing with the language barriers was what I didn't like.

I played the first Monter again, there is a bug with the Scorpion's green stings, it appears at the starting point when I died (Probably center of the map?).

It might be caused by no reference to any point from the variable.

I guess I could fix it, but it's a relatively harmless bug and the map is ded anyway, lol

Level 16
I'm actually pretty lazy/bad/uninspired when it comes to terraining, so maybe it'll be something I'll need help with in the future.

I don't really use it. I like that smooth, silky zero delay, but it's not really a good place to be testing my maps, I think? From what I recall, the join rate was about on the same level as Battle.net, but I think it's dealing with the language barriers was what I didn't like.

I guess I could fix it, but it's a relatively harmless bug and the map is ded anyway, lol

Yeah, I remember seeing points with numbered array all over.
It would be a heck to fix problems in the old Monter ;s

Level 16
Dude I played the old Monter, the scorpion thing, is so over powered, why the heck he slows you by like 99%, and kill you instantly.

How do you even dodge that? :/

And why was I slowed? If it at least has a bit of a cool effect like an earthquake, I would gladly accept it.

And if there is a way to dodge that, like an indicator maybe? I would gladly accept it too.

I cannot dodge when slowed, because I am using shotgun.

Level 12
Dude I played the old Monter, the scorpion thing, is so over powered, why the heck he slows you by like 99%, and kill you instantly.

How do you even dodge that? :/

And why was I slowed? If it at least has a bit of a cool effect like an earthquake, I would gladly accept it.

And if there is a way to dodge that, like an indicator maybe? I would gladly accept it too.

I cannot dodge when slowed, because I am using shotgun.

First of all, this is technically off-topic since it's not related to Monter 2, but I don't really mind. Although I don't know how the mods will feel about inflating this thread with unrelated posts OH WELL

Hint: there's actually a surefire way of dodging DT's slam attack with ANY weapon type. Full-force spoilers are below.

Dodging method 1: Rocks
There are two rocks in the arena which cancel out DT's burrowing attack. Just hide behind them to win ez

Dodging method 2: Weapon-specific dodging
You can still use dodging maneuvers even while you're slowed. The Shotgun has a move called Blast, which moves the player backwards enough to avoid the slam AoE. The idea is pretty much the same for the other weapon types.

Dodging method 3: Actually dodging
Probably the hardest method which involves moving in a direction perpendicular to the path of the burrowing attack. You need to be at a reasonable distance to actually do this.

Level 12
A brief introduction to utility items

Claw Gloves

The player in the image above is wielding Claw Gloves, which allow the player to dig in certain spots.
Much like Monter 1's shovel, it is used to excavate items hidden in the ground.

The secondary use of the item: revealing paths hidden underground.
This allows the player to reach areas not normally accessible by foot.

Torch

The torch is used for illuminating dark areas. It can be used to light up unlit braziers and torches.
The torch also reveals invisible units, such as Banshees.

- - -

While seemingly minor items, they will likely be very beneficial to the player. Expect utility items to be major elements in exploring, puzzles, and bosses.

As a side note: yes, there will be puzzles. But if you're the type of person who just wants to beat shit up, puzzles will probably be optional, and if not, they will have 'easy' and 'hard' solutions. Hard modo solutions will have better rewards, of course.

And finally, the monthly filler screenshots below. More updates coming soon™.

Level 12
Monthly reminder that this game isn't ded (yet), although the pace of development will probably slow down because of skool etc.

Currently in the process of making a new tutorial area as seen above. The old "tutorial" did a pretty mediocre job of teaching certain, vital game mechanics, so I feel this area is necessary

Also, I want to correct something I posted a while ago:

map.png

After reading up on some shit, map dimensions over 256x256 end up being problematic, so the map probably won't be as large as shown in the image. This isn't really that big of an issue at this point since the map is still growing. But when/if it comes to the point where Mon2er becomes so large that it cannot be contained within a 256x256 map, there is an alternative I've considered: separate maps.

This is the 'desert-themed Mon2er'. If I am actually diligent enough to finish this version of Mon2er, there could possibly be Mon2ers in different settings, like some snow-themed region or something. And of course, each map would contain exclusive content only accessible to that version of the map

There are certain implications to this if you factor in save codes. If save codes are ever implemented, it would allow players to load, for example, these 'content-exclusive' items to maps where they are not normally obtainable. It's a pretty cool idea, but this would necessitate having to update all versions alongside each other so that they are not 'desynchronized' in terms of content. Not only would this be tedious, but I'm gonna guess that this would hella ramp up file size, as well

Though I think this is thinking too far in the future, so don't get your hopes up :) I probably won't even finish this game god damn

Updates coming soon, etc. See you in 30 days

With Jass Newgen Pack you can have maps as large as 480x480. I have never encountered any problems with this whatsoever and most of my maps use this size. The only downside would be, well, that they are massive. For strategy games it might make you loose track of things, and as the map author you end up with an awful amount of work.

Level 12
With Jass Newgen Pack you can have maps as large as 480x480. I have never encountered any problems with this whatsoever and most of my maps use this size. The only downside would be, well, that they are massive. For strategy games it might make you loose track of things, and as the map author you end up with an awful amount of work.

weird

This post was the one that convinced me that 480x480 was a no-go. Basically he says areas farther away from the 'origin' of the map are glitchy, and that there might be performance issues with dealing with a map that huge. You've never experienced these problems? This whole 480x480 deal seems pretty iffy to me; I ain't wanna take any chances

Also, what's the map you're talking about anyway?

DSG is only discussing the theory of large maps. He is right ofcourse, floating point values use a finite number of digits called the mantissa, which can store a maximum of 8 significant digits. Hence, the more digits you have before the decimal, the less you have after it. Single presicion floats can represent numbers ranging up to 10^38 in size (pretty damn big numbers), with 7 decimals (e.g. 1.2345678 * 10^38). This means that if a number has more than 8 significant digits, the following decimals will be lost/truncated.

In practice though, this does not produce any issues in warcraft, at least not as far as i have discovered. The mantissa is large enough to contain the maximum map coordinates, with two decimals to spare. My map World in Flames is 480 wide, and although battles are rare at the borders, i have never noticed any kind of "erratic behaviour" from units, despite having huge battles with over a thousand units. The only issue that might present itself is that the number of tiles affect the pathing algorithm. Hence, if you have hundreds of units moving at once, you might get a slight increase in delay time, and units can occasionally stop for a second while moving to allow the pathing equation to catch up. Still, the impression i get from monter is that it is not a game where you'd have large armies.

The parallell to TES is extremely far fetched since these games use a much larger grid with a scale that is a hundred times that of warcraft.

Last edited:
Level 16
weird

This post was the one that convinced me that 480x480 was a no-go. Basically he says areas farther away from the 'origin' of the map are glitchy, and that there might be performance issues with dealing with a map that huge. You've never experienced these problems? This whole 480x480 deal seems pretty iffy to me; I ain't wanna take any chances

Also, what's the map you're talking about anyway?

I haven't encountered any problems with 480x480 map up to now.

I say, give it a go.

Level 12
I haven't encountered any problems with 480x480 map up to now.

I say, give it a go.

Word, but it's probably gonna take hella long to finish this game with a map that big

That said... I'm probably gonna release the game by "episodes". Rather than giving the entire package in one shot, new areas will be added one by one in major updates or something like that. Just so nobody dies of blue balls (including myself :ccool:)

Level 12
This looks interesting, i've been doing video playthroughs and play tests of different maps to help find bugs and such and give my personal opnion would you mind if I made a video for your Monter 2?

I wouldn't mind if the game was actually solid enough for someone to review it? It's still relatively bare bones, so you'll just have to wait until I release the demo (which is some time in the distant future).

Level 12
Monthly Update: Skipped last month's update edition

Since nobody really cares for filler screenshots, I decided not to post anything for September. Didn't really have anything to post anyway since this game is progressing at a snail's pace

Despite that, I may actually be able to release a demo by... January, maybe, provided that I actually work with diligence (pfft). This is pretty much my checklist:

• Finish tutorial area, which basically entails adding one enemy type, adding one boss, and terraining
  • Add Magic Golem boss refinements, such as music and other cool shit
  • Maybe like one or two player animations
Once these are in, the demo will probably be ready.

---

I unfortunately do not have any filler screenshots to impart to you this month. Instead, you can watch this filler video:

Last edited:
Level 2
Monter2?
O.m.g.

you gotta kidding me.
that's awesome!

The hitting was really good for a WC3 map,even to a $Games.
I can say it's the best of all of them.

Level 12
Monthly update: random minor updates edition

Here are some things I can remember on the top of my head that I added:

- - -

Fist animations: You can now punch shit omfg
Using your bare fists in this game is probably a bad idea, but you can feel free to do so if you're looking for a challenge.

Charms: An equipment type that gives helpful bonuses to the wearer (life regeneration, damage bonus, etc.).
There is also a charm that kills the wearer instantly if damage is taken. Use this charm if you hate yourself

Tutorial zone: I'm working on this slowly (see: filler screenshots)

ok thats all i have bye

Level 16
Monthly update: random minor updates edition

Here are some things I can remember on the top of my head that I added:

- - -

Fist animations: You can now punch shit omfg
Using your bare fists in this game is probably a bad idea, but you can feel free to do so if you're looking for a challenge.

Charms: An equipment type that gives helpful bonuses to the wearer (life regeneration, damage bonus, etc.).
There is also a charm that kills the wearer instantly if damage is taken. Use this charm if you hate yourself

Tutorial zone: I'm working on this slowly (see: filler screenshots)

ok thats all i have bye

MONTER 2 dEMO WHERE!?

Level 12
It's out

Honestly, this game still feels noticeably unpolished in many aspects, but I promised on a January release so fuck it here it is :ccool:

There's one thing I want to address: there's a bug where players may end up being paused indefinitely. It only occurs semi-rarely, but please post a replay if it does happen

Attachments

• Monter2 Demo.w3x
    3.2 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Level 16
It's out

Honestly, this game still feels noticeably unpolished in many aspects, but I promised on a January release so fuck it here it is :ccool:

There's one thing I want to address: there's a bug where players may end up being paused indefinitely. It only occurs semi-rarely, but please post a replay if it does happen.

Finally, feel free to post feedback and replays. (I like watching replays)

edit: also, the map is on makemehost if you want to host it

Downloaded! Testing soon!

Edit :

Holy shit, the quality improved so much from the first Monter!

Why start with a fist though?

I soon got killed in a dungeon, then obtained a mace through a chest.

Adventure continues* Smashing those spiky lights!

Level 23
Gotta say, you have the best feeling hack n slash Ive seen on wc3.

Though, the map is rather dim which makes it hard to navigate at times.
Would you consider adding a faint light model to the player character?
It would definitely help, without removing the dark atmosphere of the map.

Also are you looking for any environmental/combat effects models?

Last edited:
Level 12
super late response incoming
Though, the map is rather dim which makes it hard to navigate at times.
Would you consider adding a faint light model to the player character?
It would definitely help, without removing the dark atmosphere of the map.
Ya I guess, though it's pretty easy to see everything if you turn up your screen brightness

consider your idea considered, though

Also are you looking for any environmental/combat effects models?
I can't think of anything in particular

Why do you ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.