• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee games: Selecting Naga as a fifth race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'm working on a modified Game Lobby system that will allow me to select from more than just the standard four races. My current goal is to let Blizzards Naga race be a selectable Melee option, without having to replace one of the other existing races.

I've had some success so far. In a 1v1 map with 4 spawning positions (Turtle Rock), I've been able to allow you to choose from the five races in the lobby.

Game lobby preview: If you want to play as Naga, slot yourself in the first slot on the team. If you want to play one of the other original four races, move to the second slot and choose your race.

Here are the game files for what I've accomplished so far. There is a modified war3patch.mpq where UI\war3skins.txt and a couple of the frame definition files have been edited. Make sure you backup your existing war3patch.mpq file before using this.

All User Interface settings are tailored to the race you have selected. None of the UI/Music/Sounds are managed with triggers. I have added a "Race Skin" to UI/war3skins.txt to cover the naga race, enabling all of the Murloc/Myrmidon alerts. The race takes its music from 3 existing tracks plus another custom track I've imported.

I like the way Blizzard originally designed the race. The Town Hall manages workers/T1 melee/upgrades, rather than bumping them to separate buildings. I decided not to change this. I wanted to keep the original design of the race as much as possible, while still making some small changes to keep it balanced.
I added 3 tiers to the town hall. I added a shop with some items I believe suits the race well. I turned the Naga Royal Guard into a strength-based melee-caster hero similiar to a dreadlord.
I still need to tweak the Orb of Frost, and make 2 more heroes. They also need another caster option - I may look at using one of the Sunken Ruins mercenaries.

CREDITS:

Naga cursor:
AlienAtSystem - NightElfCursor.blp

Naga rally point flag:
LiOneSS - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/naga-rally-point-50752/

Naga user interface
viiva - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins-552/humanuitile01-blp-121508/?prev=t=30&r=20&d=list&page=2

Edit October/2014: Updated the War3Patch.mpq URL to fix the dead link.

Edit December/2021: Updated the War3Patch.mpq URL yet again, hopefully with this link you won't have to keep emailing me asking for access!

Last edited:
Level 10
I'm brainstorming my options at the moment.

I want to add a lumber drop-off building for a start, which will have the upgrades. Still trying to work out what model to base it off.

I want to add a heavy magic air unit. I'm all out of ideas there though. Nothing really fits the race.

I need to add a caster to the Shrine of Azshara. Thinking one of the Sea Giants or a Makrura.

The Myrmidions either need to be bumped to Tier 3, or be given a T3 upgrade that makes them as strong as they are - like grunts.

The Naga Royal Guards ultimate is overpowered. Going to think of some other passive.

I have some ideas for an Intellect hero based off the Naga Siren in DOTA. I won't call it a Siren though, but thinking maybe Tidecaller.
Abilities:
Rip Tide - aoe armour reduction
High Tide - generates a ring of water around the Tidecaller, which allows friendly units inside it to Submerge, hiding them from view. Activated with a mana drain, like Immolation.
Summon: Prawns - like Feral Spirit but with Prawns. Could give the Prawns a unique ability.
Ult - Melody of the Sea - temporarily sleeps enemy units around the Tidecaller

The race also needs an agility melee hero. All I know so far is it should have Command Aura. Beyond that, I don't know.

As for the techtree... I'm thinking of moving the Mur'gul Reavers to the Spawning Pool as a T1 melee unit, having snap dragons as the T1 ranged unit, and moving the Turtles to its own building. I also think the Myrmidion's Ensnare should NOT be able to target air units. They already have coaiti and snap dragons that can hit air.

I really hate making changes like these though. I'd rather preserve the way Blizzard made the original buildings, but theres too many holes in it :(

Last edited:
Level 9
Yo ! Da Fist here. I see that you make Naga (MY FAVORITE RACE OHH YEAAH !)

~ I Scanned the Hive for a good Naga hero for you. And I got the Tidebaron of Dickxunder (He's an awesome modeler !).

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/tidebaron-106883/?prev=of%3Ddownloads%26order%3DDESC%26t%3D2%26c%3D6%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20

- So, I brainstormed with my fellow friends (they don't have an account on hive) and we got a good idea for the TideBaron.

- High Naga Warrior (default name)
~Oceanus
~Vracio the Sea Reaper
~Ressu of the High Seas
~Gyrand Tide Cleaver

------------------------------
A Sturdy Naga Warrior, Used to take lots of damage for his allies. Can learn Cleave, Tides of the Ocean , Reptile Skin and Bind.

~Cleave - Attacks with such force that the attack of the hero is scattered among the nearby enemy units [20/40/60]%
~Tides of the Ocean - Calls upon the power of the ocean, creating water waves that deals damage to non-naga units.[2/3/4] waves [40/50/60] damage
~Reptile Skin - Naga's skin is made out of sturdy reptile skin making this hero more tougher. [2/4/6] Armor.
~Bind - Takes all the damage from the enemies, then releases it when the damage cap is full. 200 Damage Cap, releases X Damage to all enemies in 500 AoE. Bind is for 5 seconds.

--------
Main Stat - Str

STATS:
21 Str (+2.1)
13 Agi (+1.3)
15 Int (+1.6)
--------
Peace out!
~Da Fist~

Level 10
Currently trying to work out a good "tide/wave" spell for a caster hero.

I either want something icy that freezes enemies in place, or something like "high tide" which as described above, allows friendly naga units to Submerge.
If I were to use high tide, I'd need submerged models for the naga units that don't currently have ones (only myrmidions/snapdragons/sea witch do) and to figure out a way to trigger "unit gains/loses a buff" for when units come in range of the aura. Also would need to figure out a way to use the model off the water flood doodad.

Level 6
You cant take away tavern heros. also your gaurd hero abilities I dislike, not to sound harsh. The regeneration scroll + dust isnt very good lol. Idk why it costs 20 lumber. need some more items for sure and I would scrap the heros, keep the slith gaurd model just change abilities. Alot of work needed but would be cool.

Level 10
You cant take away tavern heros. also your gaurd hero abilities I dislike, not to sound harsh. The regeneration scroll + dust isnt very good lol. Idk why it costs 20 lumber. need some more items for sure and I would scrap the heros, keep the slith gaurd model just change abilities. Alot of work needed but would be cool.

I'm going to leave the royal guard hero as is with its current spells because its how Blizzard made it. I'd prefer to preserve what Blizzard already made for the race, and just put in additions to fill the voids.

I haven't uploaded a new version recently. Don't download the one I linked earlier.

As for tavern heroes, the pit lord is back on the tavern, but the sea witch remains a Naga only hero now.

I want to add an agility hero, but am struggling with ideas. Thinking maybe a sea giant or a flying hero.

Level 16
This looks fantastic. I do use Naga in my map, but I use them as sub race of the night elves(druids, sentinals, and naga). The Tier thing seems very good too, I may take it, or some inspiration.But hey, where can I find this map? am I the only one who doesn't see it?

Last edited:
Level 10
This might be off topic, but I used to quote your first post to know how to scratch words with a line. Where has it gone now?

Uh, you mean the tag? For strikethrough? Comes standard in vBulletin packages.

Wuzuuuuuuuuup

Re your visitor message: I'm only active here when I'm working on a WC3 project - other times you can find me at Teelos Domain or WGDF

Level 15
Are you going to add more units? As far as I know they have Mur'gul, Myrmidon, Siren, Couatl, Dragon Turtle and that Lizard, can't remember his name. They need at least 1 more flyer, 1 more caster, and 1-2 more units. Am I right?

Level 10
Hi, I haven't worked on this project since 2012. I believe I hit a roadblock somewhere along the way that I couldn't find a way around, and gave up out of frustration.

Basically, I have to manually edit the map everytime I update it (with winmpq, to edit one of the files inside the map, to change one of the races, since jassnewgen didn't support that change itsself), and the mopaq patch file was custom made to create that fifth race, which replaced Random on the race selector.

However, some elements of the custom UI just plain never worked. I don't remember what, exactly, but I remember it had the alliance elements when all the scripts I had written were telling it to use Naga. I couldn't find a solution for that problem and abandoned this project.

The reason this thread was unlocked recently was because I had a request from someone via PM to get hold of the files, and I needed to update the OP here with a new working link, since I no longer run teelosdomain.net

Status
Not open for further replies.