• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Life of a Settler

Should the map be protected or not?

• The map should be protected (Yes)

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • The map shouldn't be protected (No)

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • It dosn't matter if the map is protected or not (I don't know)

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
attachment.php

Current Version: 0.1.4 !
Current Downloadable version 0.1.4 !
Protection Status: Unprotected! (And will stay so!)
The next downloadable version should be available at version: 0.1.5

Link to the github repository:
GitHub - devastedworld/Life-of-a-Settler

Link to the trello page:

Trello

The github repository allows for an easy way of sharing new versions of the map. Fear not, some milestones will be released the regular way. But all the in-between versions and older versions will be kept on the repository. As for the trello page, it provides a really great way to present to, once again you, the players an easy way to follow the current development progress.

Note that this does not mean that the current development rate will be increased. It will stay the same. But I provide such links to help the players keep track of what is in the map and what is to be in soon without having to search through tens of pages.

Story:
A new version is on the way, I cannot guaranty that it will come out any soon.

Credits:
I would like to say a special Thank You to those great people who took some of their time to help me make this map. Either it was a little help or a bigger one, they did a huge difference on making this map and getting it done faster than if I was alone making it.

Directive255 - Helping a lot with the feedbacks.
PartumCreed - Reminding me that I had this project still undone.

Screenshots:
(To Be Updated with the new content once ready.)

Demo and pre-releases:

Demo #1 (3.09 MB) (Outdated)

Demo #2 (253 KB) (Custom Music removed!)

Demo #3 (377 KB) (If it dosn't work. Please use the attachment button below.)

Updates (Done and fixed):

1. Started the map and few triggers.
2. Added a river and few trees.
3. Added Wheat.
4. Added the first city.
5. Added in-game music. (Currently making a new custom one.)
6. You declare war to the city which you hit a guard. (Don't hit the guards :wink:)
7. Added new buildings to the settler.
8. Added slaves.
9. Added animals.
10. Added the first version of the story.
11. The whole city now attack when you attack them. (Still don't hit the guards if you want to survive :wink:)
12. The settler will now be concidered as a "Hero" (Version 0.0.8 and higher.)
13. First version of wifes added. (Version 0.0.6 and higher.)
14. Added chickens with income related to the number of living chickens you own.
15. You now need to be an adult to get a wife!
16. You can now be an adult!
17. Cleaned out some trees from the first city.
18. The map will be unprotected for now.
19. You can now choose your spawn point.
20. You can now get guards at the Barrack.
21. You can now build a Barrack.
22. The cities now sends units to each others.
23. The AI is now working. (Need few fixes but, the main triggers works greatly.)
24. Cleaned some useless triggers and disabled some because they are not done.
(More will be added soon)
25. Made the left side of the map less empty.
26. Started the Cataclysm triggering. (May take longer because it's really hard to make with basic triggers...)
27. Fixed the Races and some of the triggers. (Fixed some triggers to fit the other changes.)
28. Disabled the cities army spawns until reworked. (They generated lag after getting stuck somewhere. I have to remake that system to provide a stronger foundation for the AI.)
29. Removed the chickens. (They were way too overpowered and gave way too much golds too fast.)
30. Update to the terrain. Added an infected area blocked off by rocks. Still trying to figure out where everything will go and how to implement them correctly.

Attachments

• Life of a Settler.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Title.png
    Title.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 929
  • Life of a Settler v0.1.2.w3x
    377.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Level 15
It's good to be eager, but you should have written up something before starting a thread, whats there for me to gather from this? Imagine if everyone would post a map they have been working on for 1 day (30 minutes?!) in this forum section. :eek:

Anyhow, good luck with your map! :)

Level 5
Well, I had much more work on it, but my map deleted, (to heavy for the 8mb limit) and I've been making this thread so I can update it and let the community know how the map is going, I work on it everyday...

And for the 30min, I only wrote that, because I lost the map just before it. (this week-end.) And didn't added the 3 hours I had before in it.

I'm currently updating the informations, I just finished another part (growing...) and I'm updatin the post.

Thanks tho for the feedback, I really appreciate the fact that someone came in this thread and wrote a good information post :)

Level 5
Little new:
I updated some units and uploaded their general stats.

(It's the last thing tonight, sorry, got an event this week-end. I will be continuing the map as soon I get back home, which should be Monday.)

Level 5
(Got something that made me not able to go to my event, so I'm home...)

Next Update:
Adding buildings to the settler.
Creation of a signature (banner) started.

Level 9
Some ideas

:Bandits..........

Actions;

Jus mobs
Spawn to plunder a town...

:Some military patrols that will go around and engage with bandits sometimes

:Fishing.....

:Animals

Wolves, Bears, e.t.c

:Jion the army!

Level 5
@Directive255, yes there is a lore/background.
I'm currently working on it. I'm making a full story (maybe on a pdf, because of the number of pages).

@Leo Akastenix, Thanks for the ideas, I had already started to make the triggers for all of those, but some errors in it made me disable them for now. I'm working really hard on the animals right now, since I want to spawn a specific number of the mobs depending on the missing number from the beginning. (Right now the script makes too much animals so it crash...)

But don't worry, it should be there really soon.
Tho, the main goal I have today is to make the animals spawn and respawn randomly in the map when they die. (and I think I just found the problem in my trigger ;) )

Level 5
New update:
I finally managed to make the animals spawn randomly and respawn on death, but I'm working on making the corpse stay when they die.

Level 5
yes, I'm currently working on that.

As soon I get this trigger to work correctly I'll release a demo.
(Tho, I've blocked the ways to the other cities for now. I didn't finished anything on them yet. I'll work on that once I finish the animals. And I'll try to add few more crops before I release the demo.)

Level 5
Hey, little news about the devellopment.
I've been busy with school since yesterday, so I'll be updating the map as soon as I can.

I've been and I'll be working during nights when I'm going back home.
I'll be working less on it until the 10 of June, I've got exams.
As soon I get free time I'll work on it.

Thanks for understanding and I can't wait to update back the topic as soon I can update it.
Have great days and nights while I'm absent from here.

Level 5
@Directive255, thanks :) I really appreciate that. I hope to be able to post an update soon, so you can play :).

I should be able to start working back on the map soon.
I got only one exam left and then, I'll make a big update.

Tho, the next thing I'll work on this week (while I have some time) is the crops. I want to add more kind of crops. (Potatoes, Corn, Pumpkins, etc.)
I'll also try to make a button only for the crops, like the building one, but for crops.

Level 5
ok, I'll be releasing a demo in few hours, once I get the area cleared a bit to allow construction of a base and suchs.

(Most of the updates are trigger sided, so the in-game may be different on the 1.0.0 release!)

Level 5
Currently uploading the first demo!

(Don't expect it to be great right now, all of its work is trigger sided. The map has been started, but isn't finished.)

The map CAN be opened in the world editor right now. (I'm going to block it at version 0.1.0, which will come soon.)

Level 5
The first demo has been released!

I'll be working back on the map tomorrow. (tho, the longest part to do this demo was to fix the crashing due to the creeps spawning. I've lowered and removed some triggers of it so it works without any crash or risk of crashing.)

Please leave a feedback once you can.

Next step:
Make the Left part of the map and even more units and crops!
(Sorry, but I could only do corn and wheat right now. Gonna work on adding more soon. I'm pretty limited on time right now... Well, I'll post back some new tomorrow)

I'm posting news because I got some time waiting the next exam. (in two weeks...)

Level 5
Ok, today I'll be working on the units and items! (I'll add more crops that will be added in the update 0.0.7 or maybe in the 0.0.8. I need to get new models for them.)

Level 5
I'll be posting another version of the story with much more details. (It was late when I did the first one, about 5am and I hadn't slept the whole night...)

The next one should be much better. (The number of pages should get up to 10-15, maybe less, depends on the time I have to make the story ;) )

Level 5
Added a loading screen with a story resume on it!
There's a screenshot of the loading screen on the thread post.

Level 5
Little update!

Couldn't make the in-game loading screen looking better. Sorry for that. (The screenshot is in HD, but the game itself don't have this feature. Sorry.)

Level 5
Another little update!

I've added a new image at the first page.
The image is now replacing title at the top.

Level 5
Thanks, it's a great Idea :)

I'll make it darker. (Like the background color under the "add reply"?)
I'm going to upload it in few secs tho. (Should be better than the gray ;) )

Level 6
now this is map I am excited about! If you love founders of the north just like me you know there are many things that make the game amazing. I say to take things slowly and work on them.

I imagine people can choose where to place their towns, that's the first thing you need to do. pick a number and design the towns. If you want a simple formula divide the map into 4 units. N-W,N-E,S-W,S-E. than simply add a few town locations into each place. Than you need to add some specific resources to make it more interesting. The only way you can make this map work if you take things slowly and build a foundation, FOTN was a very complicated map it would take months or even years to reach that place.

Level 5
yes, I'm totally aware of that, thanks for mentioning it tho.

For the terrain and suchs, I'm making it zone by zone. Which means that the current map is far to be done.

I've currently separated the map in 3 part. a center-bottom one, a top left, and a top right, with the sorcerer for the cataclysm at the botton-left.

I've blocked some zones for now, because they don't have a lot of work in it.
I'm currently updating the texture in the region resources so I can make multiple zones.
The top right will be a undead biome, (in a semi-desert biome, only the town will be infected.)
The top left, may be elfs or orc. (if orc, it will be a desert, if elf it will be a forest.)
I may also keep all the three factions humans. (Tho they are all enemies and I plan on making them send units to each others.)

As for the locations to build, I'm working on that, I'm cleaning some tree's and fixing some buildings so everyone can build almost everywhere.

I've also planned that the players will be able to choose which town they start, with a starting area or a button panel.

Thanks to for the ideas you wrote ;) (I'll maybe use some of these. Don't worry, if I use them, I'll add you to the credits.)

There will also be some jobs specific to the region you will live, such as fishing, farming (That is mostly implemented), and much more.

As for the FOTN features, the hardest was the crops growing trigger.
The other ones are pretty easy. (well for me they are.)

That's why I've started by working on the crops first. Because they are a bit harder to define than setting a town location...

For the FOTN place that they reached, their map was hard to create because they've used JASS scripting. Which means they've coded it all.
I use the trigger's already defined features. Which can do much more than most people think. You can open the demo map if you want, you'll see that all the scripts in it are pretty easy to do.

Still, thank you for you ideas ;)

Have a nice day/night.

PS.: I won't be working on the map tonight. I got a show that I'm playing in and I need to practice and prepare myself. Once I get back home, I may work a bit on it, but not as much as I do usually.

I'll keep this thread updated at every single updates. (Some updates may come later if they are bigger, but the thread will be updated.)

Level 5
Updated the demo link, so it uses mediafire incase of hiveworkshop's uploading system. I'll be contacting a moderator so I can get the links autorized directly.
For now the mediafire one will work.

Sorry for the problem.
And thanks for telling me that the link didn't worked.

Level 5
I've added the chickens income from FOTN. I'll be modifying the limit so we can't go higher than 20-30 chickens. (Each chickens generates 1 gold each 2 seconds right now. I'll also be modifying the speed it happens. Maybe 1 second will do.)

Level 5
Right now I'm working on the triggers.
Once I've done them I'll be finishing the west and east part of the map.

I've now implemented the evolution of the characters! (Got few fixes needed, but it completly works.)
You also need to be an adult to get a wife now!

Level 5
For now, every 180 seconds of game time (3 days) you will be older of one day. (I may change it to 5 days.)

You can now access to the west part of the map! (I've added some tree's right now. The terrain isn't done at this place.)

I've also updated the leaderboard so it shows the players amount of golds.

I will be uploading another demo soon. (Version 0.0.9)

Level 8
Some suggestions:

- Add an ''unique'' aspect to the game, like Werewolf Transylvania. It adds a werewolf to the game to make it more interesting. You can allow players to join one of the factions in order to eliminate other factions, or let them make their own. Factions could have their own specialities, like some having more land or troops than the others, or some having special buildings or units. Of course, players who make their own faction could be able to choose their specialities too.

- Currently, the finished part of the map looks plain. Trees look like they have been placed randomly, not in clusters, and there is no room for the tent except roads. Other than that, you can add more decorations.

- Do not post unnecesary stuff like ''Currently working on the new update'' People already know that you are working on your map, and doesnt need to know when exactly
an update will be released. And dont post an update for every single suggestion, post an update when you have some improvements.

Good luck with your map, I hope I helped you :)

Last edited:
Level 5
Thanks for the feedback, yea for the place you can build your tent, I've mostly fixed the problem. I've only uploaded the version 0.0.5 (the demo) and I'm at version 0.0.9. The next demo may be when I reach 0.1.0, since I have a pretty big update to the map.

For the factions, I'm already working on this. I'm trying to make a button panel so the players choose it before being spawned in a city.
Once he chose the faction he wants, he'll automaticly be seen as an enemy to the other city.
The cities will also send random groups of units to the other ones, so they look in war each others.
They'll be able to be defeated. The players will be able to create their own market if they want too.
But when they build their market, they need to provide this one some furnitures or some special constructions so he have more things to sell and suchs.

For the updating. yea, I was always forgeting to include things in the posts. but since some posts was a day old, I didn't wanted to edit after about a hundred people had read it ;)
But I'll try to keep the posts clean incase of sending tones of them for a little update about the map ;)

For the unique aspect, I'm glad you came with that. I hadn't really thought of the specialities for now, but I'll try to make it for the 0.1.5 or maybe earlier if I can.
For now I make the basic triggers and placements on the map, but I'll be cleaning and updating as well as I can.

Still, for the tree's. The west and east zone are better, for the tree's in the first zone, I had placed them randomly because at the beginning this map was supposed to be a rpg... But I've decided to make back a map like FOTN since the other one is mostly not update anymore. (There should be an update as the author said on steam, but it's not sure anymore...)

Thanks again for your feedback ;)

If you'd like to help you're welcome.
I'm ok to create triggers and place things in the terrain, but I'm really not the best one at the terrain ;P

I try to keep the map updated as much as I can. I'm even working on it when I should study... But the few hours I give it everyday make its progress much faster.

And a little update I'm going to tell now, The 9th and 10th of June I won't update the map. I have two exams.

Still thank you for your feedback and as I said, if you want to help with this map, you're welcome ;)

Level 5
Hello guys I've got a question..
Should this map get protected or should it stay unprotected?
I'll be making a poll on this thread to see what you come with.

EDIT:
Poll Added!

Level 5
There's some little problems I just see.
I'll be fixing them for the next demo.

The fountain at the first city is gone... It removed when I cleared the tree's a bit.
There's also a testing unit at the wife... (You can't take the wife without being adult tho)

Last edited:
Level 5
Hi guys, a little update here, so you know I'm still working on the map. I finished my exams about 3 days ago.

I'm aware that little update posts aren't interesting... I'm making this one so you guys don't think that I stop working on this map.

From now I'll do this: A post per 2-3 updates. (If you guys prefer that I still do some 1 updates posts, I will. Some updates are bigger than some others.)

What I'm currently working on:
- I'm working on some more crops, another wife (yes! There will be much more other wifes ;), this one will probably be a sorceress or something like. Generaly, she's going to be a kind of "wizard")
- I'm also working on making the second city. (May be added at the version 0.1.3 or maybe 0.1.4, I want to finish it before adding it ;) )
- I'll be adding citizens! (Yes you'll be able to kill them... But you'll be required to do a specific quest line. Maybe a long one or a short one...)

PS. I may create a video on the editor and the game so you guys can see a bit of the game without even being required to play it directly.

That's the update for today!
I really hope to release another demo soon :)

Level 5
A]mun;2694451 said:
< Lurking for more screenshots

*and progress

I'll add more screenshot as soon I finish the second wife trigger. :)
For the progress, I'm currently making the second wife.
(The version of the map I'm working on: 0.1.2)

The map takes a bit longer to make since I'm alone on it right now, but the main problem is that I have some other projects... (Such as the game I'm creating on Unreal Engine...)

I'm trying to get as much time I can on my warcraft 3 map project.

(Sorry if I can't bring an update everyday... I'm totally aware that you guys want some news about the progress, I'm trying to update the main post as much as I can, but I simply can't update the forum post everytime I do an update on the map...)

Thanks tho for the feedback ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.