• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Round Table of Arkain

Me too. The characters are so... one-dimensional and the plot isn´t so good.

That's normal. Orcs are very straighforward and predictable, which isn't limited only to Arkain. There are no intrigues and twists, orcs use brute force to reach their goals. There are no betrayals as it isn't in their nature, only thing close to a betrayal is if a chieftain wants to go his own way, but it's more of a stubborness than working against other clans. They work with their cards opened, no mysteries about them and their plans. This is why usually in such games like RPG you get to play some intelligent human or elf, not a raging ogre, because it's easier to make a good story. This doesn't mean you can't do fun maps out of it, especially with mass armies strategy, although players can't expect a deep mystery story.

Level 29
The optional quest about the trebuchets should be much more developed. I scouted the map and found two more places with trebuchets empty. You could allow us to use them. And when I reach the second city level, I found another group of trebuchets and I destroyed them, while I could have taken them over. they could have been useful on the second part of the mission.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I played the Second Human Book demo, all I can say is: Is very epic and cool! Keep up the good work, I would knew that the second book won't disappointed me.

Thank you. :)

[...] I scouted the map and found two more places with trebuchets empty. You could allow us to use them. [...]

Yes, I could do that and make the map easy as hell.
But I won't.

Level 2
Great progress you're making, Shar. Lord Brian so far is my favorite character. I hope he has his own forces with probably death knights and dark wizards? Hehehe.

Oh yeah BTW, just same with the first book, sometimes the enemy forces are too huge and I was forced to play the cheat "whosyourdaddy", so Shar could you increase the maximum food limit to 300? Chapter 4 also works too hard for me, there's too many enemy.

He won't, it would ruin the entire fun :p
Though adding a slight extra caps for Ch4 would be nice for everyone, maybe 25/50?

Level 28
He won't, it would ruin the entire fun :p
Though adding a slight extra caps for Ch4 would be nice for everyone, maybe 25/50?

But honestly, the enemy forces are too powerful until I can't defeat them without the cheat. Only if the food limit is expand until 300(Or actually just 200), this would help me win the game easily.

And, like mission that you're on a journey(Just like Second Book chapter 1), enemy forces came alone with a huge vast group, and what I got is just a few warriors, how am I supposed to defeat a huge group of demons and orcs with a group of small stick? Err, I don't mean to hated it, I'm just suggesting.

Level 11
But honestly, the enemy forces are too powerful until I can't defeat them without the cheat. Only if the food limit is expand until 300(Or actually just 200), this would help me win the game easily.

And, like mission that you're on a journey(Just like Second Book chapter 1), enemy forces came alone with a huge vast group, and what I got is just a few warriors, how am I supposed to defeat a huge group of demons and orcs with a group of small stick? Err, I don't mean to hated it, I'm just suggesting.

I agree, beating the "defense of home" chapter was easier than beating ch. 4, you should raise the food cap to atleast 150, and have it adjusted based on difficulty, or at least allow us to use a hero at the start

Level 28
I agree, beating the "defense of home" chapter was easier than beating ch. 4, you should raise the food cap to atleast 150, and have it adjusted based on difficulty, or at least allow us to use a hero at the start

Indeed, and just like the last chapter for the First human book, the final chapter is harder than I thought. And yet, chapter 4 Lord of Shadows, at the beginning there's no hero, yes I can understand that. So at the beginning we've got to play a round without any hero.

And now for the First Human Book's opinion:

I'm curious why I can't build Gryphon Aviary? And why I can't train Captains, and the others like Pegasus?

So, I suggest these: Allow us to build the Gryphon Aviary, and raise the food cap. Oh yes BTW, at the loading screen, the description is tooooo long and some I can't read the rest.

Level 7
Cant read? I got a proof that it can be read quite quickly enough

human pegasi die quickly, id say you would do better if you spent those resources on crossbowmen
food cap 100 was fine for me, as if you build the unit train line just behind the fights, you will
always have more than enough units to use ( supposed you have resources to train at high upkeep )

Level 28
Cant read? I got a proof that it can be read quite quickly enough

human pegasi die quickly, id say you would do better if you spent those resources on crossbowmen
food cap 100 was fine for me, as if you build the unit train line just behind the fights, you will
always have more than enough units to use ( supposed you have resources to train at high upkeep )

Not, I mean the loading screen. Some description is too long and I can't read all the text.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Oh yeah BTW, just same with the first book, sometimes the enemy forces are too huge and I was forced to play the cheat "whosyourdaddy", so Shar could you increase the maximum food limit to 300? Chapter 4 also works too hard for me, there's too many enemy.
300? No way.

Arkain challenges players. In order to win against the odds, you have to be patient, find the right strategy and strike. Sometimes, guerilla tactics can be much more effective than a brute force.

For this chapter:
Focus on taking out the trebuchets and the blue base as quickly as possible. Blue's mine can be used for additional resources and a long-time siege. Destroying the trebuchets will both ease your own attacks and make your ally more useful since, unlike players, the AI doesn't evade the trebuchets' missiles that easily. Taking out orange before teal is the best way to go.

I'm curious why I can't build Gryphon Aviary? And why I can't train Captains, and the others like Pegasus?
I remember answering this question of yours not too long ago:
You don't need the Captain in the last chapter, Vindicators might be a bit weaker, but they cost both less gold and, more important, less food.
About the other units: Why should you be able to train them?
You're playing as Humans, that's why the dwarven units are missing.
Pegasi and Conjurers are AI units.

Not, I mean the loading screen. Some description is too long and I can't read all the text.

That problem has first been reported back then in Chapter Four of the First Human Book, I think.
It's nothing I can change. It's a resolution thing and different from resolution to resolution. For me and some, all text can be seen, for others it cannot. I'm trying to make the texts neither too long nor too short, but that's all I can do and the text is not unimportant. I can't just remove parts of the story out of it.

Level 2
Hello
I wanted to give my take on chapter 4
This chapter makes siege of kome looks like the wc3 roc prologue
I managed to complete it with 6:00 hours of gameplay (Excluding of course the countless loads) it was so painful
It looked like it was never going to end
The worst thing about this chapter its that promotes save scumming (Definition : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SaveScumming)
Especially because you have no hero, however you have 4 elites NON-REVIVABLE, which means when you lose one of those youre going to think about re-loading (Especially early on)
Now lets talk about elites: You can have a maximum of 10 (4 Initial and 6 can be rescued) and they cost 4 food, and can cause serious frustration if one dies stupidly (Defending your base while youre microing shadow stalkers elsewhere for exemple)
So my idea for making this chapter a bit easier is to make ELITES trainable AFTER YOU COMPLETE THE SIDEQUEST
That makes sense imo because :
1 - Gardon followers are fanatically loyal to him so it makes sense that they'll send their best man to save their master
2 - In many custom campaigns, you save a particular unit and that unit becames trainable
Restrictions could be 5 food and limit to 8 elites (Or lower)
Also why i cant build knights ? I can see some use on them for hit and run attacks with their faster movespeed
That IMO will decrease the amount of frustration of this chapter so the player stays more time playing than reloading

Edit : Forgot to report a bug when i fight the deathlord when ''some conditions are met'' the game crashes, i noticed that when he used almost all of his mana it crashed
For exemple he used war stomp which left him with 48 mana left and then boom fatal error

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
This chapter makes siege of kome looks like the wc3 roc prologue
The chapter accomplished its mission, then. ;p

Now lets talk about elites: You can have a maximum of 10 (4 Initial and 6 can be rescued) and they cost 4 food, and can cause serious frustration if one dies stupidly (Defending your base while youre microing shadow stalkers elsewhere for exemple)
Hm, now that I think about it, I should remove the food cost for the elites.

Also why i cant build knights ? I can see some use on them for hit and run attacks with their faster movespeed
That IMO will decrease the amount of frustration of this chapter so the player stays more time playing than reloading
I want the players in this chapter have the equal number of Golden Guard and Royal Army units. The Executioner with his upgrade is much more effective when fighthing the enemy units masses since he damages multiple enemy units with one strike. Therefore the unit helps you a lot against the enemy masses.

Edit : Forgot to report a bug when i fight the deathlord when ''some conditions are met'' the game crashes, i noticed that when he used almost all of his mana it crashed
For exemple he used war stomp which left him with 48 mana left and then boom fatal error
Are you sure you played version 0.11 instead of 0.10? Because I replaced one ability of the Deathlord which appeared to have fixed the matter.

Level 3
The Second Human Book wasn't able to detect my decisions on the first book. Largoth said ".... Someone who skipped the first book...." even though I finished all the First Books! I didn't even side with Genethas during the last chapter.

Level 9
The Second Human Book wasn't able to detect my decisions on the first book. Largoth said ".... Someone who skipped the first book...." even though I finished all the First Books! I didn't even side with Genethas during the last chapter.

Campaigns cant possibly be conditioned for another campaign(if you get what i mean)

Either way, both involves interacting with Genethas so its likely that the other imperials think Gardon and Blen sided with Genethes.

Level 11
Arkain challenges players. In order to win against the odds, you have to be patient, find the right strategy and strike. Sometimes, guerilla tactics can be much more effective than a brute force.

For this chapter:
Focus on taking out the trebuchets and the blue base as quickly as possible. Blue's mine can be used for additional resources and a long-time siege. Destroying the trebuchets will both ease your own attacks and make your ally more useful since, unlike players, the AI doesn't evade the trebuchets' missiles that easily. Taking out orange before teal is the best way to go.

Arkain does challenge people, but this level takes it past the point of frustration.

Blue is not easy to kill, he's got a hero and lots of abominations, necromancers, etc. that screw your shit up, you could build lots of towers next to his base and lure his units into the towers but that takes up lots of time and luck.... I feel like something should be modified in order to make the gameplay less frustrating and more enjoyable....because after awhile the level is no fun at all...

If you feel that I'm wrong, try playing the chapter yourself

Level 20
Has a seasoned Arkain veteran...I can tell you two things...

1.Chapter four ain't that hard...In fact chapter 3 is harder imo.
2.Asking shar to make the map easier is like trying to have a convo with a brick...You can try but i doubt you will succeed.

Level 11
Has a seasoned Arkain veteran...I can tell you two things...

1.Chapter four ain't that hard...In fact chapter 3 is harder imo.
2.Asking shar to make the map easier is like trying to have a convo with a brick...You can try but i doubt you will succeed.

Chapter 3 isn't as hard, since you have Gardon with his beneficial auras, as well as cora....in this chapter you start off with no heroes...

Level 20
Chapter 3 isn't as hard, since you have Gardon with his beneficial auras, as well as cora....in this chapter you start off with no heroes...

I already told you a strategy on how to deal with them.All you need is to make sure to use your spellcasters spells properly.

Level 5
Not to mention blue uses its acolytes to defend its base..... plus I've been wondering @Shar, about the final chapter in the First Human Book... what the hell is the use of the Red Human base there? is it there just to sit around and be cute? XD

Level 11
Not to mention blue uses its acolytes to defend its base..... plus I've been wondering @Shar, about the final chapter in the First Human Book... what the hell is the use of the Red Human base there? is it there just to sit around and be cute? XD

If aedale gets corrupted by that point, she and a host of her demons appear at that base and fight for your side

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
The chapter was easy, the only reason it took so long was because we had to find out what was causing the crashtodesktop.exe used by the vengeful deathlords.

We might need to have more missions without a hero if you're all having this much trouble.

Edit: NEWS FROM THE PEACEKEEPERS AGENTS,
I've just been informed more chapters without hero support have been planned.

Level 9
It took me a great deal of time to finish chapter 4, Damnit!
the guards on the first group of trebuchets are a pain in the neck
I still dont understand when can the enemy see my shadows lol
After I attacked the first line of defenders, the others saw me and kicked my ass lol
My strategy first was to get rid of the blue undead base then attacked the city and it worked
You cant attack in full force, you have to win through attrition and guerrilla tactics
About the mayor and his guards, holy crap Shar why did you have all those units around him??, when I try to lure a few of them to my forces, instead I got the whole army on me and my forces are destroyed lol
The game crashed twice I think when I was attacking the final base "Magee Guild", that was a few days ago dont remember exactly when it crashed but at the third time it worked well
I just noticed there's a new version you said that the trebuchets defenders have been reduced a little :3

Overall, the missions are AWESOME and Lord Brian is a badass!

Level 2
So currently playing the lovely no-hero chapter there is one thing worth noting, Trebuchet's cannot attack buildings I am unsure if this is intended as I can use attack ground to just destroy buildings anyway.

Chapter 4 - Clicking on the Ark buildings unlocks the power of the sun to obliterate your enemies iris's

This is all for now :p

Level 2
I guess some hints for chapter 5 could help. Note this may include spoiler, it is better to play for yourself and feel the accomplishment of overcoming this obstacle.

Consider sacrificing your early units for a more numbered army or so you can gather gold quicker, you start above the "No upkeep" limit of 50. I did this to upgrade the 3/3 and spellcaster upgrades quicker.

Immediately kill the Blue undead base, its harassment slows you down and its extra goldmine is useful.

!IMPORTANT! Truesight range is extended viscously, use it to find shades (Yes there ARE a lot of shades look for them!) with your scout towers allowing you to get your invisible units in further.

Snow can be built upon for towers.

Build towers for your later defence of the trebuchet's, also make Guard Towers in case gargoyles attack.

Know when to retreat, you don't have heroes to back you up. Make tower checkpoints so you always have positions to fall back on. (E.g. the only exits from the city make amazing chokepoints)

More Hints/Edit: You don't need to be the melee backbone, Your ally can provide that. For most of the attacks I was actually just making priests, hydromancers and Necromancers to support allies (Frost Shield, Inner Fire, Healing, Slowing the enemy, Crushing Wave burst etc...) Grey wolves also provide +3 armor aura, This totals to a whopping +13 armor!

Upon entering the city focus on killing the first orange right hand base first over the rohir nexus to the left, the Rohir nexus is much less aggressive and brown will tend to focus the right base first. Edit: The right path is blocked

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I guess some hints for chapter 5 could help. Note this may include spoiler, it is better to play for yourself and feel the accomplishment of overcoming this obstacle.

Consider sacrificing your early units for a more numbered army or so you can gather gold quicker, you start above the "No upkeep" limit of 50. I did this to upgrade the 3/3 and spellcaster upgrades quicker.

Immediately kill the Blue undead base, its harassment slows you down and its extra goldmine is useful.

!IMPORTANT! Truesight range is extended viscously, use it to find shades (Yes there ARE a lot of shades look for them!) with your scout towers allowing you to get your invisible units in further.

Snow can be built upon for towers.

Build towers for your later defence of the trebuchet's, also make Guard Towers in case gargoyles attack.

Know when to retreat, you don't have heroes to back you up. Make tower checkpoints so you always have positions to fall back on. (E.g. the only exits from the city make amazing chokepoints)

More Hints/Edit: You don't need to be the melee backbone, Your ally can provide that. For most of the attacks I was actually just making priests, hydromancers and Necromancers to support allies (Frost Shield, Inner Fire, Healing, Slowing the enemy, Crushing Wave burst etc...) Grey wolves also provide +3 armor aura, This totals to a whopping +13 armor!

Upon entering the city focus on killing the first orange right hand base first over the rohir nexus to the left, the Rohir nexus is much less aggressive and brown will tend to focus the right base first. Edit: The right path is blocked
Very useful! :)

Yes, Arkain does challenging us, but it will takes too much time to defeat the opposing force :p
:3

This looks quite nice. Suddenly got yet another reason to ensure that my Wc3 works.
Thank you. :)

Progress report:
Work on Chapter Five has begun. I've also been doing some nice work in the Object Editor, creating new stuff. Some of it will be seen in the next chapter, be ready for everything. :>

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
Have a good holiday ladies and gents, we here at Arkain Studios all wish you well and remember to report to the torture chamber after your respective holiday, thank you.

Don't yell at me Shar. :')

(Please bump responsibly.)

And good night.