• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Legendary Footies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Alright, this is kind of a new footies concept.
Legendary Footies:
Players: 12
Map Size: 96x96
Tileset: Underground
Map Type: Footman Wars
Made from: Scratch
Basics:
Your barracks spawns units that you use to fight the enemy units being spawned from enemy barracks'. Four different races to choose from, Human, Sludge, Forgotten and Fel Orc. Races are all altered from original four (melee Human, Orc, Undead, Nightelf). Even the Human race has mostly new Tier units (Tier being the upgrade level of barracks', different tier, different unit).
Unit List:
Human:
Bandit
Footman
Assassin
Captain
Bandit Lord
Sludge:
Sludge Pawn
Sludge Plague-bearer
Sludge Cube
Sludge Lord
Sludge Abomination
Forgotten:
Faceless Warrior
Unbroken Spell-caster
Faceless Heretic
Unbroken Ritualist
Faceless Octopi-caster
Fel Orc:
Fel Orc Runner
Fel Orc Grunt
Fel Orc Warlock
Fel Orc Raider
Fel Orc Salamander

Advances:
River seperates map in-two, you may cross to a different side via bridge. Levers and Circles of Power operate traps that can go off to delay enemy attackers. More Shops, new terrain, new races, and my personal favorite advancment... AI (Artificial Intelligence). This will be hard and will require many hours to do, but with some help I think I can work this out. I will also have a new hero selection system, new treaty system, CTF (Capture the Flag) Mode, Left vs. Right mode (6v6), Standard mode (3v3v3v3), Last Stand mode (9v3), Lone Ninja mode (3v9, 3 player team starts off with twice as much gold and will spawn units at double speed), Suicide Mode (4v4v4), Up vs. Down (6v6), Standard Double Spawn mode (3v3v3v3 Units spawn at double speed), Right vs. Left Double Spawn mode (6v6 Units spawn at double speed), Up vs. Down Double Spawn mode (6v6 Units spawn at double speed), Suicide Double Spawn mode (4v4v4 Units spawn at double speed), FFA mode (1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1), FFA Double Spawn mode (1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 Units spawn at double speed), Gold Digger mode (Players start with double gold), and Bill Gates mode (Players start with triple gold).
Tell me what you think, was going to come out soon, but my computer crashed ) : so all terrain and units were deleted. Will redo better but will still take more time.

Level 9
Cool

Evil please keep those comment to yourself : |
Sure its another footman wars but its got some interesting modes, races and AI (YaY!).
By the way, i think that variation of upgrades and/or upgrade paths (going melee or going ranged ect) is what makes a good Footman Wars...
Keep up the good work, if you need any help with triggering or ideas i'd be glad to help...

Level 9
Well when you finish the map ( or at least most of the basics ) i'll help with the terrain...

Level 7
River seperates map in-two, you may cross to a different side via bridge. Levers and Circles of Power operate traps that can go off to delay enemy attackers.
Okay, that is original. Good concept? unsure at this point.
More Shops, new terrain, new races,
Wait, this is an original map, right? Not based off of Footmen Frenzy, is it?
and my personal favorite advancment... AI (Artificial Intelligence). This will be hard and will require many hours to do, but with some help I think I can work this out.
Screw AI! AI is stupid; the game should be designed for human players otherwise it becomes like a puzzle since you know what the AI is going to do. Also, takes up too much of a mapmaker's time. And don't say "Well, what if I want to play be myself?" Can you play Chess by yourself?
I will also have a new hero selection system,
Gay, stick with Taverns. Anything else is combersome and stupid.
new treaty system,
Now this I like. Can you form temporary alliances?
CTF (Capture the Flag) Mode, Left vs. Right mode (6v6), Standard mode (3v3v3v3), Last Stand mode (9v3), Lone Ninja mode (3v9, 3 player team starts off with twice as much gold and will spawn units at double speed), Suicide Mode (4v4v4), Up vs. Down (6v6), Standard Double Spawn mode (3v3v3v3 Units spawn at double speed), Right vs. Left Double Spawn mode (6v6 Units spawn at double speed), Up vs. Down Double Spawn mode (6v6 Units spawn at double speed), Suicide Double Spawn mode (4v4v4 Units spawn at double speed), FFA mode (1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1), FFA Double Spawn mode (1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 Units spawn at double speed), Gold Digger mode (Players start with double gold), and Bill Gates mode (Players start with triple gold).
Too many modes. Just stick with one mode.

I'll look foward to see you'r map soon.

Level 9
Urlock,
Ai is not useless or a waste of time! I hear people complaining constantly that when people leave the game becomes unballanced, Ai can solve that. And whos gonna host a footman they cant play? Ai solves that too!
I like the modes... Makes the game more diverce...

Level 7
Urlock,
Ai is not useless or a waste of time! I hear people complaining constantly that when people leave the game becomes unballanced, Ai can solve that.
Actually, this would not help matters. If you have a computer controlling a leaveing player, then strategy gets cut down since the computer is going to do what it's programmed to do and that's it. In fact, due to the nature of footmen wars the computer player could feed the enemy by sending out weak troops that are doomed to die! A much better method would be to grant controll over the leaveing player to the other player(s) or split that player's recorse and army to the other player(s) while adjusting the spawn rate to acomadate the remaining player(s).

If you ask me, I really don't care, since any team without a third player is going to be at a disadvantage anyway. My advice would be to get allys who won't up and leave or restart the game with a new player. It shouldn't be the mapmaker's responsibility to make sure everything is fair in this case.

Say you and a couple of friends were playing a two partnership game of cards, and one player leaves for one reason or another. The game dosn't accomadate for that, and why should it? The best option for the three remaing players would be to play a three-player game (and many 4-palyer card games have special rules for three player setups).
And whos gonna host a footman they cant play? Ai solves that too!
If you prefer puzzle solveing over strategy, then by all means play by yourself. The AI's actions will become predictable and easy to counter. Setting the enemy to noraml/easy/hard dosen't chang matters since there will be a trick in defeateing them too.

Level 19
The AI can be fixed very easily, I also believe that we could fix it without having AI, so that when a player leaves their forces are given to their allies (random ally). But on solo mode their forces would be destroyed. Their gold would be split amongst the leaving player's allies. AI would be nice though, as you wouldn't have to play as both of the players. And I disagree Urlock, if you make a randomly picked AI system (different AIs) then the game would work fine. But then again Urlock thankyou for agreeing with me on the treaty system, I'd say there would be countdown timers for temporary alliances. Like 5 minute alliances, 10 minute alliances and so forth. That would be easy to do with variables and simple trigger systems. Thanks for the feedback dudes.

Whooo Urlock we posted at the same time and had the same idea! That's so whack dude! Also I believe with randomly set AIs there wouldn't have to be difficulty settings, because if there are lots of random AIs, then their will be lots of strategies to memorize and defeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 16
Omg a double post on my watch! How dare you?! *hits 'give negative reputation to Scyth-Master' ten times* "you must spread your reputation before you can give it again to Scyth-Master" ...... damn! ...... Merged your posts....

Level 19
I cover myself up quite easily Mini-Me, now I must say something about the project before I get more negative rep. Legendary Footies is going to fix what Pantokar footman wars did wrong (suck). I hate that kind of bad hero choosing system and crappy terrain. I want great terrain and a wide variety of heroes. I'm making different taverns for different races. My custom hero system is this, you may select a hero from the tavern, then Dialog boxes come up to validate your choice. So if you click on a hero by accident you can go back and click another one.

Level 7
My custom hero system is this, you may select a hero from the tavern, then Dialog boxes come up to validate your choice. So if you click on a hero by accident you can go back and click another one.
No, bad idea. Map makers shouldn't cover for incompetence. If a player clicks on the wrong Hero or fat-fingers the wrong hotkey then that is his mistake. It would be an annoyance to have to click the Dialog button each time I hire a Hero, even if players are restricted to one Hero each.

Level 19
What?

No, bad idea. Map makers shouldn't cover for incompetence. If a player clicks on the wrong Hero or fat-fingers the wrong hotkey then that is his mistake. It would be an annoyance to have to click the Dialog button each time I hire a Hero, even if players are restricted to one Hero each.

You're supposed to make the player happy, NOT PISS HIM OFF!!! You're not supposed to make the gaming experience more fun? I thought that was what modding is all about. I guess I'm wrong Urlock, because ofcourse you don't care how much IT MATTERS to make it fun. That's the entire point, without fun it's mega gay. And without new features it's mega gay. AND FOR 3 SECONDS OF VALIDATION FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! People aren't going to care enough to not play again "OMG that took an extra 3 seconds fuck this shit I'm out of here!" That ain't gonna happen man. Seriously you're starting to piss me off by criticizing good ideas and making me look like a dumbass. Do everybody a favor, give me some advice I can use instead of filling this topic with useless information.

Level 7
Yes you should make your game fun, nobody's arguing that, but you also shouldn't cater to people's mistakes. If a player makes a mistake, which will naturally happen evey once in a while, and then he gets pissed of by his own mistake, then that sounds like a personal problem and not the fault of the mapmaker. A level-headed person would just say "Oh golly gee, I wasn't paying attention and clicked on the Palidin instead of the Blood Mage. May as well make the best of it." and move on.

There are thousands of cases where a player can make the wrong choice, so are you going to safeguard all of them to make the game more "fun"? Frankly, I hate it when my computer asks me if I'm sure I'm willing to take such-and-such action unless it's concerning something important. If I click on something, that's what I want to do, not have my computer ask me if I'm sure of it. And yes, if I have to spend three seconds of my time to get rid of an annoying pop-up in a game then that will deter me from playing it. This could also put down strategy during crutial moments, since you cannot control your forces when a dialog shows up.
Scyth-Master said:
Seriously you're starting to piss me off by criticizing good ideas and making me look like a dumbass. Do everybody a favor, give me some advice I can use instead of filling this topic with useless information.
I am only posting my opinions, and I don't mean to be overly-critical, although I often come out that way. I like some of your ideas, but other things wouldn't work out. You don't have to do any of the things I say and you don't even have to read them, but I'm putting them forth for you to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.