• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heaven's Fall: Melee Gameplay Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ToastAddict1057
The easiest way to make it windowed mode is to click on the Check Box for 'Play in windowed mode'
attachment.php

If you are a technical person, the other option is to go to your "Warcraft III" directory and run the CMD command "hfmod_pkg.exe -windowed".

Also the mod crashes sometimes
:c
Any idea what you were doing when it crashed? It is very hard for me to log when a crash happens to find what caused it -- so if you see anything that might be the cause, I can try to fix it.

Attachments

• WindowedOption.png
    WindowedOption.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 736
Level 3
Hola! long time no tome of power(?) it's been awhile since I've been on the hive but by the looks of the main page this beautiful piece of work is still going strong. hang in there Retera, you'll pull through. P.S. with the new systems I've been recently running on it would be nice to take a break and play this a little bit more, maybe we could set something up?

Level 5
I want to see those "risen" in action, and btw, the skeleton that spawns in pairs, it doesn't :p

Ugh. So I have this homework project where I tried to go above and beyond to make it interesting, and somehow I turned the project into about 10x the workload it's supposed to be. It's been keeping me busy all weekend!

Such talk of the risen makes me want to go work on the mod!
How is the weekend going for you guys?

Level 1
excuse me, can some one help? I've got this error when I try to open HeavensFall.exe. I already try to open it as administrator but the same error happens. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• HeavenFall Error.jpg
    HeavenFall Error.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 133
Sorry I did not get back to you very quickly on this. I saw your post that day, tested the mod myself on 1.27b I believe, then went off to classes and wasn't sure how to help.

Attached is a test system to look for bugs in the installation of the mod.

Try running this program, then do File -> Save log to file and post it here if you want to help me know about your setup.

When it says the thing about renaming files, it doesn't matter. hfmod_pkg.exe does not rename or edit any files in your Warcraft 3 installation anymore, this was only true for a legacy version of the mod.

But the rest of the information from the tool might help me help you.

Code:
Hello. Welcome to HF-Diagnostics!
This program is currently running in limited user mode.
Latest mod version ID as read from server: 11018

The installer, when last run, was working with directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\

Diagnostics will now attempt to mount that target directory. It may ask you
to find the directory on your own if it was previously "null" or considered unusable.

Did it think directory was valid?:
true

Loading mod profile data.
Here's what the mod thinks about itself:
- Installed: Yes
- Auto Update: Yes
- Windowed Mode: Yes
- Mod Download Version: 11018

Here's what's real:
- hfmd.exe: downloaded, 78055038 bits
- hfmod_pkg.dll: downloaded, 471040 bits
- hfmod.dll: downloaded, 12046336 bits
- HeavensFall.exe: downloaded, 896000 bits
- UserInterface/1.mpq: downloaded, 6387366 bits
- UserInterface/2.mpq: downloaded, 7666099 bits
- UserInterface/3.mpq: downloaded, 11466117 bits
- UserInterface/4.mpq: downloaded, 11038858 bits
- UserInterface/5.mpq: downloaded, 9097434 bits
- UserInterface/6.mpq: downloaded, 6629771 bits
- UserInterface/7.mpq: downloaded, 11466117 bits
- UserInterface/8.mpq: not downloaded
- HeavensFallReadme.rtf: downloaded, 24725 bits

Here's the final hard-drive probe, and this one can mess up your WC3 game.
Requesting user input before dangerously touching WC3 files!

Renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\game.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\game_TFT.dll

Renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3.exe to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3_base.exe

Renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\hfmod.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\game.dll

Renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\hfmod_pkg.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3.exe

Renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\game.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\hfmod.dll

Renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3.exe to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\hfmod_pkg.dll

Renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\game_TFT.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\game.dll

Renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3_base.exe to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3.exe

Attachments

• HFDiagnosticsTool.zip
    225.6 KB · Views: 145
sorry for the late reply, here you go.

I've been slow about replying also, got college keeping me busy.

What version of Warcraft 3 do you have? The number should be in the lower right hand corner of the screen when you turn on the frozen throne.

When I look at the output you sent, most of it looks like it checks out as being pretty good, so I'm still trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.

I think I need to build a new version of the diagnostic tool that checks even more stuff.

Level 2
I wonder if my computer just doesn't like it; whenever I open the launcher (or re/install the mod), it says: 'Unable to retrieve version information from the internet.

This will prevent the game from knowing whether your installation is up to date in the future.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92572084/hfmod/install/HFModVersion.hfm'.

Afterwards the launcher still opens, but when I click 'Play Heaven's Fall' or 'Open Editor', it gives me 'Error finding game client... Was there an installation error?'

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong and don't realize it, considering it's in the same folder as both Frozen Throne and Reign of Chaos are in.

After encountering this problem the first few times, my friend suggested that I did a clean install- and did, but to no avail. It gives the same errors.

I've been away from this for a while, but it's a tough time for Heaven's Fall. We've got two big issues now, one is that dropbox has killed my use of it as an arbitrary file server and only operates through temporarily generated shared links, so that the mod installer EXE will have this issue @Toppers just described, and can't be fixed until I release an updated installer.
The other issue is Patch 1.28. I haven't investigated the technicalities too deeply yet, but Heaven's Fall isn't ready to run on that.

Since maps can be up to 128 MB now, the solution might be for Heaven's Fall to switch to a series of maps. I'll post here soon with more on that, and hopefully some updated content so that the mod will work again.

The EXE I built both functioned by both downloading and updating the mod using a hosting service that stopped hosting. So, totally outside my control, the EXE will no longer work.
I'm planning to build a better one, but along with it I wanted to update the mod and *Make Heaven's Fall Great Again* but I have not finished doing that because I keep wanting it to be greater than it is.

So, for a while, I have been updating my 3d Model Editor that I wrote to make it better, so that I can make even cooler models for Heaven's Fall.

Edit:
Spoilers: I attached some icons for stuff I was adding to the Northpact last time I was working. I wanted to get to a point where the Northpact and Freezing Legion unit data was combined back together into something decent and playable before I released again.

Attachments

• snowman.png
    snowman.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 89
  • MammothBuck.png
    MammothBuck.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 109
  • ChillingSiegeMissiles.png
    ChillingSiegeMissiles.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 86
  • legionGrand.png
    legionGrand.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Level 2
Hey Retera, a 1 year ago I spoke with John Drake (so late to tell you haha), is still working on the Dawn of Chaos, and mention that you're good at Multirace template, this was what I said:

``Hey,

Thanks for pointing those mods out to me, that would be a great way to handle the files!

I'll definitely get in touch with Retera when we're getting close to release.

And yes, we're still working on it... every now and then, heh.´´

Hey, sounds pretty cool! Hopefully I'll be able to help.
I haven't finished the next release of Heaven's Fall yet. I'm really behind on that, hopefully it will be out sometime soon.

Edit: I'm not going to double post, but if you want to try playing Heavens Fall on the holidays, here is a pastebin link:
HF Tanaris pre-release | HIVE

For almost half a year this mod has basically been dead while I held on to it and did not release a patch 1.28 version. To keep in stride with Warcraft III updates, Heavens Fall has a way to be injected into maps, now. This pastebin contains a 100 MB map that works on Warcraft 1.28, or also on 1.26-1.27 if you have not updated. This way, it is as available as possible.

The problem with a map is that you only get four races. So, I snuck into this map that if you play Zear at 90% handicap you can play the Final Alliance, and if you play Lost Tribe at 90% handicap you can play the Enlightened Tide.

Somebody please reply if you see this edit -- I did not want to double post.

Last edited:
You can get it to go in 1.28 if you already have it but you have to really, really know what you're doing and be modding the mod. I mean, I am able to, but I'm not sure I could publish it. Also, the Launcher no longer works because it used a server that is no longer available and I need to build a better one.

When Blizzard takes the advice I left in this video to heart:

Until then, the mod is just a map. I have a version that mostly works on Patch 1.29.
Hopefully I'll release the map/maps soon. I trimmed it down to 4 races, because that is all that Warcraft III can support.

In the meantime, if you wanted to play the mod, I have this system that you can download to try it. Don't put any of this stuff in your Warcraft III folder, I repeat DO NOT merge this with an existing install. Just double click the EXE inside the zip, and it should take care of the rest.
This little bundle is the result of some funny experimentation. It's not a mod anymore, just a bundle, so it doesn't have version conflicts and will work in parallel with any future version of Warcraft III that you have. Just, be absolutely certain that you are an owner of a valid Warcraft III CD License Key before downloading this bundle, for obvious reasons.
But I thought it would be funny to try to put it together. It's based on the systems present in the video that I posted above, although I disabled the real-time shadows, for performance.

Edit: It appears that the Enlightened Tide's Time of Day indicator is broken and is invisible. I'll mark this as a known bug to fix in the next release.

Edit: Fixed bug, re-uploaded, version 2.05.

Attachments

• HeavensFallStandalone.zip
    130.8 MB · Views: 928
Last edited:
Level 2
I do not speak much English but, have you just modified the Multirace Template so that it works in 1.29 ?, from what I saw of your video, what you do is extract files from the game and modify them by Notepad, or am I wrong ?, it would be a good idea to do like the mod of Demon Craft, that we copy only the folder where the game is, and that it does not `` overload '' the folder if we put other mods, the Chronicles of Azeroth mod, I have not done it yet, by the university , but we should create a tool, with all the materials to make it easier to create a `` fanmade expansion '', I'll see how the experiment you did, if you polish it but you could create a good alternative for the multirace template, I think that alternative is similar to the one used by Demon Craft, although if you accept the idea of creating a tool, to make the work easier and not depend much on Notepad, it would be good to place a menu with the most organized and essential things for the creation of a mod.

So, despite problems with the MultiRace Template, I have discovered a way that Heaven's Fall version 1.0.5a from 2012 that was archived by Kam in his "Projects of Old, Gather Ye Resources" thread still runs on Battle.net in Patch 1.29 and does not need to any form of upgrading, because it is from roughly when this thread was started, and it is from before I began using the MultiRace Template.

Is this something anyone would like to have the option of playing? I can describe the process of setting it up. It's very easy, you just download "HeavensFall.exe" from Kam's link, rename the file to "War3Mod.mpq" and put it in your Warcraft III folder. It's difficult for me to explain how that magically works, but it does magically work, and then you can play it on Patch 1.29 -- and online.

Should I include information about this on the first post of this thread?

Attachments

• ZearBattlenet.png
    ZearBattlenet.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 198
  • HeavensFall.png
    HeavensFall.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 185
I stopped publishing because I figured 1.26 was no longer the meta. I can build a release, maybe this weekend, of the newest version of my stuff that runs as a 1.26 Nirvana-based mod (all 6 races on the drop-down) if you would like.

Lately I was just playing it as a map file where 90% human and 90% orc load the last two races. I guess I did not know the interest level of people, and have not published the 1.30 version of this map -- I just play it with friends on discord when I have the time. Map protectors and minifiers and that junk doesn't work anymore so I just pastebinned the 100 MB unprotected map and gave it to people. Should I post it on here?

Okay. I created 5 map files (2 players, 4 players, 6 players, 8 players, 10 players) based on standard melee maps with the latest Heaven's Fall content added that play on 1.30:
HF Tirisfal Glades
HF Phantom Grove
HF Neon City
HF Mur'gul Oasis
HF Raging Stream

There is also (for those who might not have noticed it) a version that I posted earlier that is more compressed and only works on Patch 1.28 and below:
HF Emerald Gardens v2.01b

However, as far as a 1.26-focused Nirvana DLL version that includes the in-game 6 race dropdown like Heaven's Fall did in the old days, I still have a ways to go for that. I will have to dust off some old technology if I'm going to put a build like that together with the latest unit data and assets. The closest thing that you could get to that right now would be "HeavensFallStandalone" if you scroll up in this thread. However, that bundle does not include the high-quality uncompressed versions of the Heaven's Fall content.
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/heavensfallstandalone-zip.297738/

Edit: Now we simply have to wait until Warcraft 3 Reforged comes out, so that I can make a Reforged version of this mod.

Last edited:
For me one of the motivating factors for Warsmash Mod Engine is to be a bootloader of sorts for this Heaven's Fall mod. I've come a long way and I appreciate all of the contributions and good times I have had with everyone on Warcraft III that have led me along this road of progress.

It has been evident for a few years recently that in order to continue the Heaven's Fall project, the project needs to have its own game engine, and I need to be free to update that engine. So, while I continue to depend on the Warcraft III base assets in some places, the future for this mod would be hard pressed to move forward onto Reforged. Instead, we move in perpendicular onto Warsmash.

Until today, I have generally been developing Warsmash independent of this mod and had not combined the two. As an evening test of the compatibility of the systems, I tried loading the MPQs of the Heaven's Fall mod onto the Warsmash client with the INI configs tonight for the first time ever. My first video did not record audio due to an issue, but the second one even loaded the Heaven's Fall music from the MPQs.

Status
Not open for further replies.