• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Europe: The Art of War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Well the soldiers can just take whatever they want cuz they just conquered the city...

Sure that could be a choose but they would serverly hurt your popularity in the city and surrounding area driving the population to rebellions perhaps. So while you can just have your men pillage the land for food and such it would benefit you to bring supplies with you.

Level 12
Of course you do!

How do you think the Crusaders actually made it so far?

Gallin, there already is a system like that, and it already penalize the so called "popularity" (Actually, the population itself) when they're affected by war and so on.

Level 18
Hey guys.
I have only one day of work remaining. I will have two free days so I hope I will be able to work a bit on the map in order to post screenshots.

But then I'll be off for one week or more (probably ten days), I'll probably brainstorm a lot but I may not be able to log on the hive.

Level 18
The issues were still the same: I didnt know how to forge my resource and trade system (among other none fixed things). I think I came up with something interesting, I just need to clean it all and I would be able to make a real and complete map description.

The point in making this map description is that it's not only advertising for hive people, it is also a kind of a to-do list for me (with a lot of informations).

Unfortunately there wont be screenshots for now (apart from those I already posted early on).

About food I'm not certain if there will be a food limit, it's kinda opposed to the general idea of the map. About food and rations, I dont think I will add such a system, too much to handle in addition to warfare, popularity and trade.

I'll edit the first post between today and tomorrow I hope.

Level 18
A large part of the warfare is to know what type of units to make, to know what positions to take or to hold, when to back, where to strike, how to use your heroes and high ranked units...

So there already are a lot of things for the player to pay attention to.

Level 12
It is quite simple to resolve the food problem. Increase max morale for all units, however give them a buff named "Hunger" which drains morale from them. When near cities, these would have a buff named Food or something that would compensate the buff Hunger. The problem is, at sometime the city usually runs out of food, so... Well, it is the best solution I've found.

Level 12
There are some problems with no food. First, there's a point in which it lags too much. Second, it is sometimes unrealistic. Third, powerful nations are not "capped" by food. Fourth, space, although that could be resolved with lesser collision.

Something that could resolve that is upkeep. Although I freaking hate upkeep.

Level 9
Yeah.you always get overboard with ideas on how to make the game 'more realistic' when making a map.But Gameplay > Realism anywhere,like it or not.

Oh,and Sasuhkun,grtaz on the green gem :)

Level 12
Oh, didn't notice. Yeah, Green gem!

Well, believe me, I've discussed the matters Gameplay > Realism a thousand times with many people about LoE. Still, it is just a brief and simple solution, if Goffterdom plans to add anything like that.

Level 18
Yo hey ho.

Some news.

I finished brainstorming about Resources and Trade. I'm still busy so I didnt take the time to make all the descriptions, but I actually think I will have some free time soon.

I feel like I always say that but my life is kinda in a rush atm, so sorry if I look inactive. I'm not.

I think I will follow your lead, and try to release a pre-pre-beta map with the basic concepts of tree-tech, garrison and moral system warfare. To try things out. And then try to implement systems one by one.

Level 12
See, I told ya it was a good idea. Just don't host pubbies with it, cause people would have criticisms already about the lacking of a thousand of things and begin to hate the name and not try the game even after all the testing versions. Try to keep it between friends or something, although it is a bit hard to fill a fh like that. Still.

Level 12
One more player! Well, let's see... Assuming everyone of us that are rather active in the thread can play at some absurd time at each weekend to test it, we have Goffterdom, me, James, Foxy, Gallin, Nightblade, and maybe Tleno, Reaper51 and Chizume. That's 9. WOOHOO. Well, we just have to warn everyone now and see who can do... everything mentioned above. Maybe not all the weekends, just twice per month... Oh well.

Edit: Maybe 10 if Trillium join us as well. His name is Trillium, right? I forgot D:

Level 12
That's why I said the absurd time on a weekend! :B
Well, we still have to contact everyone. I'm pretty much always available at weekends, all day long with some few exceptions, which I'll note first so that another time in the same weekend can be arranged. My GMT is -3. Everyone which wants to help Goff testing should put their GMT, and their time available in said weekend. As I've stated above, I'm pretty much adaptable, so no problems there. Although there can't be a rematch if it ends up being too late for me (02 am or something, 'cause at SOME point I must sleep!)

Until wednesday (since at least here it is 23:04 monday), all people that visit this thread regularly will propably see what we're combining here and write their GMT and available time at the weekend. If anything, we just contact everyone else through public message asking if they are interested in beta testing the map, and if yes, to make the same procedure as the others here on the thread.

Also, Goff, you should put Gallin and Trillium (if I'm correct... Too lazy to check the Ideas Brainstorming thread) on your credits list. Well, maybe other people if they contributed enough.

Level 19
Hmm... Now that I think of it, my schedule seems kind of tight this year, maybe I'll just watch and see how it goes, for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.