• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Offense] Castle Fight: Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
SpasMaster Presents:
Castle Fight: Forever
186388-albums6678-picture100132.jpg
AV3NTVT5HQM51393299201253.png

What is This?
Castle Fight: Forever is a project that is a sequel to Castle Fight, created by geX. I have been a fan of the map for many years. I have played it with many of my friends and recently I got encouraged by them to create my own version on this iconic map. It's important to understand that this is a project born out of passion for the map and out of being a fan of it for years. By no means am I trying to call this a "better" version, just different - a way to satisfy my personal desires that I had for years and share it with everyone in the Hive. The fact that the original map hasn't been developed for years further encouraged me to engage in this endeavor. My whole desire for this project was to take the Castle Fight I've loved for years and make minor adjustments and major additions to it. I want to preserve the core and feel of the original, while adding onto it.

So... what's the Gameplay?
Castle Fight is a game where you create buildings in your Castle. These buildings automatically spawn uncontrollable units that automatically move toward the enemy Castle. The Player must strategically choose the right units to properly counter his opponent. This is achieved by utilizing the Attack/Armor types in Warcraft III which make certain units very strong against others. The goal is to cooperate with your allies to turn the tides of battle in your favor and destroy the enemy Castle.

X

Map Layout

186388-albums6678-picture100136.png

How's the Progress?
The map is currently playable and I have done all of the original races already and I created one new one. All of the core systems are there, it just needs all of its features completed.

Map Status:Alpha

Races:
11/11

Features:
30%

Core:
100%

X

Some Terrain

186388-albums6678-picture100135.png

Can we help with Testing?
Yes! A Garena group already exists and we are testing the map often in there. You can join the fun. Active Alpha and Beta Testers will receive in game award when the map is released!

186388-albums6678-picture100139.png

X

Interface

186388-albums6678-picture100137.png

Who's working on this? Are you recruiting?
I am working alone on the project. My old pal Vunjo has created the income system for me, but apart from that - I am alone. If you can fulfill either of the following roles and you are good at what you do, contact me!

• Graphic Designer: Loading Screen, Signature Images, etc

• Modeler:
Editing, Creating

• Artist:
Icons, Skins

Last edited:
Level 17
I'll change mine, since yours is already released. It will be done in the next couple of days.
OK, glad we settled that so quickly, thank you!

Just FYI, I was actually giving some consideration to changing the name of my project in the past. So if you change your mind and decide that you want to keep the title for yourself (it's not a very good one in my mind :xxd:) - I'm potentially open for discussion.

Good luck on the project!

SpasMaster

Level 23
Ah.. it kinda reminds me of my Battle for Ashenvale map..

Anyway, this is the type of map I like to play a single player. Please make a good AI.

Honestly I never worked on AI before. Let's hope I can make it happen :p

Awesome to hear your working on a new map! I love Sunken Ruins. Hope to see the same level of awesome game play and polish in this new project.

Hah, thanks. I am always giving my best, but these are two entirely different maps and require different approach.

SpasMaster

Level 23
Will this be your second DC ??

Hehe :D
No, it's highly unlikely. If I were a moderator I wouldn't ever give this 6/5. Director's Cut Maps must not only be polished and perfected in almost every aspect, but they must also present some new and creative concept. The fact that I am basing this on an existing map created by someone else is already a big drawback. But again, this exists to fulfill a personal desire and share it with everyone in the Hive - it's not an ambitious project like Sunken City. :)

Level 25
I don't understand why you feel the need to recreate it identically from scratch.

If you want to patch it, I'm sure you'd be able to find an unlocked version or could find a tool to crack it.

Whether you crack the protected map or recreate it to be 100% identical, both ways you're basically "stealing" the map. Not to say you shouldn't - I will definitely play an updated Castle Fight (played plenty of CF back in the day). I just think it's silly to reinvent the wheel. You may as well call it "Castle Fight SM" or something.

If you're going to be recreating it, there is so much you could add other than new races:
  • Selectable maps, each with a different structure.
    • One lane
    • Three lanes
    • More than 2 teams
  • Random map generator
  • Tileset selector with cliffs that actually fit
  • Varied income mechanics instead of the current method of "simply spam, try to counter"
  • Varied spawn systems, e.g. wave-based spawning
  • New ways for players to do things while waiting for gold (similar to crazy coins mode)

SpasMaster

Level 23
I don't understand why you feel the need to recreate it identically from scratch.
If you want to patch it, I'm sure you'd be able to find an unlocked version or could find a tool to crack it.
Whether you crack the protected map or recreate it to be 100% identical, both ways you're basically "stealing" the map.
The reason I am creating it from scratch lies within your question. Cracking the protected map is "stealing" the map. Recreating the map is "stealing" the idea for it and that - I'm fine with. I wouldn't feel alright if I take the protected map and work from there. You could argue it's the same or that there is little difference, but for me there is a lot of difference.
You may as well call it "Castle Fight SM" or something.
That's the other thing. All this work I am putting in recreating it is to become.. how do I put it... "independent". I don't want someone to yell: "Hey, this wasn't like that in Castle Fight!" Yes, it wasn't because that's another map. Based on the original - yes, but it's my own take and it will go in different directions.
Selectable maps, each with a different structure.
Not a fan of variable lanes and more teams.
Random map generator
This will cause many technical problems.
Varied income mechanics instead of the current method of "simply spam, try to counter"
That one will happen eventually.
New ways for players to do things while waiting for gold (similar to crazy coins mode)
That's also on the list.

Level 25
You could argue it's the same or that there is little difference, but for me there is a lot of difference.

The end product (at least for the beta version) will be identical. Let me put it this way: the map file can be converted into a binary string, i.e. the data it takes up on your hard drive. Your immediate goal is to make an exact copy of this string. Instead of using an efficient method of copying it, you're using a very slow method - but either way you're still doing the same thing, copying it.

I can understand if you want to get the experience from making it and learn how things work under the bonnet before adding to it, but in terms of "stealing" I still see little difference. Could you please explain it a bit more?

"Stealing" isn't even the right word. We're all modders here, working on and adding to other maps is what the scene is. While you're technically "stealing" (IMO), it's a positive thing that you're continuing the map long after the author has abandoned it.

That's the other thing. All this work I am putting in recreating it is to become.. how do I put it... "independent". I don't want someone to yell: "Hey, this wasn't like that in Castle Fight!" Yes, it wasn't because that's another map. Based on the original - yes, but it's my own take and it will go in different directions.

Let me bring up another map as an example: Legion TD. It's different in that the author open sourced it, but Legion TD Mega (the most popular spinoff) is a map that takes a new direction just like your map, but it's still Legion TD. You're adding new races to Castle Fight, but it's still Castle Fight. You could argue that by the same logic all TDs are the same, but this case ticks all the boxes: same gameplay, same map layout, same races.

Also just to repeat and clarify a point from my previous post: I'm not trying to attack you or your map. I'm a fan of Castle Fight and I'd like to see this map succeed.

SpasMaster

Level 23
Also just to repeat and clarify a point from my previous post: I'm not trying to attack you or your map. I'm a fan of Castle Fight and I'd like to see this map succeed.
Yeah, I understood from the very start that you are trying to help, no misunderstandings here. :)
I guess I'll take your points in consideration and import object editor data. It will save me a lot of time I guess. And considering I have to make a name change, I might as well go with Castle Fight. Thank you for your input, all opinions are important to me.
Please tell us that we could control the heroes.
There are no heroes. Only 1 Worker and yes, you can control him.

SpasMaster

Level 23
Updated!
Map name changed to: Castle Fight: Forever
I'd also like to hear some opinions on something that is bothering me. I started creating an alternative map that can be chosen at the beginning of the game. Unfortunately, Warcraft cannot restrict camera bounds AND minimap to specific areas. My dilemma is: do I get rid of minimap by making it black to make several alternative layouts?
186388-albums6678-picture100902.png

What do you guys think?

Level 25
Import a black 128x128 (or maybe 256x256, not sure) texture and rename it war3mapMap.blp (or .tga)

You can then use blight to paint paths, as the dark blue will still appear through the black minimap. Take a look at my random walk td (link in signature) to see how it looks and works.

If I can also add some suggestions:
- A map where the paths split up into dozens of interconnected paths. When a unit reaches a crossroad, it will pick a random direction (towards the enemy base)
- Environment mechanics: For example, a shrine in a lane that provides a global aura while controlled. Random weather effects across randomised areas: lightning storm damages units, snow or rain might reduce move and attack speed.
- Something I had in my Region map (army builder, no micro possible) - a spell tower. While the player isn't able to micro their units, you can use spells in the spell tower to influence the game. Mana would be gained over time, and spells would be things like: kill target unit, summon units, buff/debuff area, take control of unit, provide income, etc. This is a nice way of giving players something to do while playing.

Level 8
If the creator of Sunken Ruins is creating it, then it is going to be good. No need to argue.

ruleofiron99 said:
If I can also add some suggestions:
- A map where the paths split up into dozens of interconnected paths. When a unit reaches a crossroad, it will pick a random direction (towards the enemy base)
- Environment mechanics: For example, a shrine in a lane that provides a global aura while controlled. Random weather effects across randomised areas: lightning storm damages units, snow or rain might reduce move and attack speed.
- Something I had in my Region map (army builder, no micro possible) - a spell tower. While the player isn't able to micro their units, you can use spells in the spell tower to influence the game. Mana would be gained over time, and spells would be things like: kill target unit, summon units, buff/debuff area, take control of unit, provide income, etc. This is a nice way of giving players something to do while playing.

I want all three of them. About the weather thing, weather should give both positives and negatives. For example, in real life rain waters the plants and increases growth, then humans eat those plants and they become healthy. In the game, rain can increase the unit production speed, but slow down their attack speed.

SpasMaster

Level 23
You can then use blight to paint paths, as the dark blue will still appear through the black minimap. Take a look at my random walk td (link in signature) to see how it looks and works.
That means ingame paths will also be blighted. Unless I replace the texture or something. Regardless, I decided to hold back on the idea of multiple layouts for awhile until I figure some effective way to do it.
A map where the paths split up into dozens of interconnected paths. When a unit reaches a crossroad, it will pick a random direction (towards the enemy base)
Not really a fan of the idea, and I will tell you why: If your units start splitting up across multiple lanes that would defeat many strategic choices. For example; the orc's Shaman unit isn't really strong by itself, but the Bloodlust it gives is really strong. Most of the time I make shamans because of their bloodlust and their ability to support the rest of my units. So what happens if they go in a different lane? And that's just one example.
Environment mechanics: For example, a shrine in a lane that provides a global aura while controlled.
Yes! I am doing that for the Domination mode. In original Castle Fight it increased the income of the controller. Here it will give a buff to all units. Top Lane will give different buff from bottom lane.
Random weather effects across randomised areas: lightning storm damages units, snow or rain might reduce move and attack speed.
I've thought of that and it's highly possible for me to do it at some point aslong as I mange to make it visually good. :)
Something I had in my Region map (army builder, no micro possible) - a spell tower. While the player isn't able to micro their units, you can use spells in the spell tower to influence the game. Mana would be gained over time, and spells would be things like: kill target unit, summon units, buff/debuff area, take control of unit, provide income, etc. This is a nice way of giving players something to do while playing.
Awesome idea! I'll try to do something really similar!
Played Simple Castle Fight it was cool, so gl to you guys.
Thanks!

Level 25
That means ingame paths will also be blighted. Unless I replace the texture or something. Regardless, I decided to hold back on the idea of multiple layouts for awhile until I figure some effective way to do it.

The way I do it in my RWTD is to paint the blight underneath unpathable textures (e.g. cobble path), which makes it hidden. I then paint the "fluff" terrain along the unused tiles, so the rough dirt created by the blight is removed.

The result is that the only bit of blight you see is the dark blue dot on the minimap.

The only other method I managed to find was to use minimap icons:

gold mines, shops, custom icon, etc.

You can make an invulnerable dummy unit with no model and enable the custom minimap icon for it, and you can use an imported texture for this. The problem with this is that it is drawn above unit teamcolour, so it makes it harder to see armies on the minimap. However I didn't experiment much with transparency; that might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.