• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Escape / Maze] Enigma Engine

Give your opinion about following things:

• The map should have seperate chambers/levels.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • The map should have ongoing storyline.

• The map should include custom tile set.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The map filesize should be low.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The map should include achievements.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • The map should include also combat/fighting.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • The player units should have different roles.

• The player units should be the same/equal to one another.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Enigma Engine

Enigma Engine is a puzzle map made for two players. Singleplayer is also possible. Enigma Engine got inspired by a puzzle map Dungeon Secrets made by me. Nevertheless it has also got hues from highly valued puzzle games Portal and Portal 2 made by Valve.
However as Enigma Engine is going to be executed on Warcraft III I am going to stick with its physics and graphics and overall basics. Compared to Dungeon Secrets I am trying to implement more creative ideas into gameplay.

To gather some opinions (hopefully some one answers) I would like to ask couple of things. Answer in the poll.

Development

Development of Enigma Engine started 25th of November with having rough ideas and plans of making a new Puzzle map.

Progress

Everything of this project can still change and nothing is written in stone so far. However I have some basic ideas and mechanics that I am thinking of including in the map.
Version 0.01a:
• It's decided that the two player main characters would be presented as two pandas, Solum the Stonesoul and Aeris the Windchaser. Both characters would be unique and have their own roles yet both would be as important as the other one.
Mutable Gamemechanics are being planned. Mutable Gamemechanics are in-game built mechanics that only one player can use creating more complicated puzzles.
• It's decided that some combat will be included in the map, however the puzzle side of the map will be more space-taking.
• It's decided that Abilities are received for a short period of time from Spell Shrines. Both players can use Spell Shrines to receive a specific spell depending on the player unit (Solum/Aeris).
• It's decided that the map will be contain seperate Chambers. Nevertheless there will be a storyline throughout the game. It is still unclear what kind of story there will be. Some rough plans are made.
• It's decided that the map will be Ancient Ruins themed.
• Bosses are being planned. The map will most likely contain bosses based on Combat.
• Both player units, Solum and Aeris have one of their spells figured out. Solum can Summon Boulder and Aeris has a brief Windwalk.
Version 0.01b:
• Aeris the Windchaser's name changed to Aeris the Skyborn.
Sphere System is in progress.
• It's decided that some items will be presented as units in the map. To pick them up you have to attack them, which is triggered to be automatic after clicking on them.
• It's being planned to add Jewels to the game. Jewels are gold like items that function as resources in the map.

Library

Library contains the information of different units, items, game mechanics and systems of Enigma Engine. Feel free to take a look around the planned/existing things.
Solum the Stonesoul
BTNEarthBrewMaster.png

Solum is aspirant of Earth Element. He uses the vigor of mother earth to aid him in combat and different tasks he is given in the Temple of Elementum.

Aeris the Skyborn
BTNStormBrewMaster.png

Aeris is aspirant of Air Element. He uses the vigor of wind and sky to aid him in combat and different tasks he is given in the Temple of Elementum.

Temple of Elementum
BTNSelectHeroOn.png

Temple of Elementum is the area that the lore Enigma Engine is taking place. Temple of Elementum is the sacred temple of all elements. Whenever a Holder is born he is chosen to walk the path of his element, proving himself worthy by surviving through Temple of Elementum.

Holder
BTNSelectHeroOn.png

Holder is a person who has been blessed with an element. Very few are holders. Solum and Aeris are both Holders. Holder can only keep his special powers if he is able to survive through Temple of Elementum.

Spell Shrines
BTNWellSpring.png

Spell Shrines are locations in the map that Solum and Aeris can receive spells from. Spell Shrines only grant access to the spell for a few seconds. Solum and Aeris receive spells of their own element. Spell Shrines are part of the game mechanics in Enigma Engine.

Sphere Gates
BTNSelectHeroOn.png

Sphere Gates are entries that do not allow carrying Spheres through them. When ever Sphere is carried into a Sphere Gate the Sphere is destroyed.

Spheres
BTNOrb.png

Spheres are items that are important in oder to complete Chambers. Spheres operate as keys on Sphere Locks. There are three types of Spheres; Earth Sphere, Wind Sphere and Neutral Sphere. Both players can manipulate Neutral Spheres however Earth Spheres can only be manipulated by Solum and Wind Spheres can only be manipulated by Aeris.

Sphere Locks
BTNSelectHeroOn.png

Sphere Locks are a kind of switches. They require a Sphere in order to be activated. Sphere locks can activate or deactivate many kind of game mechanics or even complete a chamber.

Last edited:
Level 28
Voted.

Should the map be more cartoonish like or head for more defined skins and models?

For puzzle type games I usually prefer the cartoonish look since its more comfortable for my eyes.

Should the map include some humour or should it try to keep "epic"?

Add humor, this makes a map/game more enjoyable, well at least for me.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Thanks for quick feedback. However I think the cartoonish look is easier to obtain using custom tile set. (If I am going to include one I think it's going to be made by me or some one whom I know/ask to do it.) and it is going to be cartoonish, not some high-defined thingies.

Additional guestion:
I have not yet decided what kind of theme the map should include:
1. Space (Spacecraft/aliens/plants/some cool stuff)
2. Ancient Ruins (similar to dungeon secrets, with ancient lores and secrets)
3. Clinical environment (like in Portals)
4. ToyBox-like very cartoonish playground theme
5. Something else, what?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Voted for "The map should have seperate chambers/levels." and "The player units should be the same/equal to one another.".

Should the map be more cartoonish like or head for more defined skins and models?
It should be Warcraft 3 - like.

Should the map include some humour or should it try to keep "epic"?
It should include humour. Like Escape gay Heaven's unit names.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Add humor, it's always good in multiplayer maps. Trolls should be a perfect race for this map, cuz of their funny way of speaking. If file size permits it you should consider adding a storyteller's voice.

I've been thinking of it just not sure what kind of voice yet, and who'll speak.

Pool results seem different than I thought, I was thinking that it's wether chambers or then ongoing storyline, assumably I'll do both now. :D

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
First image, nothing fancy yet. Just showing the Sphere system, or part of it.
202900-albums6209-picture92251.jpg

Image: One of the player units, Aeris the Skyborn is possessing of a Sphere. Possessed Sphere can be seen overhead of the unit possessing it.

Another image. This time showing Spell Shrine.
202900-albums6209-picture92354.jpg

Image: There is different Spell Shrine for each spell. This Spell Shrine gives Aeris the Tornado ability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.