• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Eldroc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
2130xhi.png
Game Update 1.4 - 4.12.12
Beta Progress
Terrain: |||||||||| 40%
Systems: |||||||||| 20%
Spells: |||||||||| 10%
Items: |||||||||| 20%
Quests: |||||||||| 20%

Project Lead Message:
The ultimate goal of Eldroc, is to create a groundbreaking SPRPG environment like nobody has ever seen using the Warcraft III engine. My hopes is that as the players play through Eldroc, they will become immersed in the world itself and the characters that inhabit it. Eldroc's lore runs deep and it terrain is vast, creating one of the most extensive plot and side story lines. The characters of Eldroc's stories are more intertwined and connected than any other map I've seen, and will continue to keep you wondering who knows who, and who's been where, time and time again. I hope you enjoy it. Thank You!
This thread has undergone a revamp for several reasons, however, it is largely related to, Wolfe, the Project Lead for Shadows of Everwood so gracisly putting my game on their supported projects. Based on the respect I have for that project, I felt it was my duty to show the community and Team SoE, they do not have a bad eye for high quality games. In addition to a completely new look, I will be releasing some information about Eldroc that I hadn't planned on releasing before.
To help players become fully immersed in the world that is Eldroc, this thread will offer a color coded system to help players identify Characters, Items, Spells, Dungeons and Zones. The color code will go as follows:​
  • Characters
  • Items
  • Abilities
  • Dungeons
  • Zones

Story:
Thousands of years ago, the beings that inhabited Eldroc lived in peace. Because of this the Norr Gods granted the major leaders of Eldroc at that time, a forge, The Forge. In addition to granting them this forge, they bestowed the power of Forgemaster upon the leaders, allowing the creation of anything their heart desired; Power, Gold, Eternal Life. After receiving these powers, the leaders of Eldroc soon created a type of utopia; everyone truly believe they had been blessed by the Gods.

But... eventually the leaders of Eldroc found their powers to be too overwhelming, and it soon became obvious that this was too much power for mortals to handle. The powers began to poison their minds and their hearts. They became greedy, and each sought to acquire complete control over all of Eldroc. Eldroc soon became a hostile environment; towns, cities and factions that once prosperously traded with one another, attacking each other. Brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, friends and relatives began slaughtering each other over their leaders Forgemaster ability.
9k6xoj.png
11ipwt3.png
Soon Eldroc fell in to complete chaos. And war broke out, that was later named, the 'First Great War' and Eldroc once a bountiful place to live, had become a desolate wasteland. Several months after the 'Kingsleaf Family Massacre', which has ultimately been decided as the beginning of the First Great War; during the 'Battle of Kint', the Norr Gods realized it was obvious that mortals did not deserve the powers they were granted, and came down from the heavens and reclaimed the Forgemaster ability. Once the Norr Gods had reclaimed the powers, they fused the Forgemaster ability into six Forgemaster Hammer's, and scattered and hid them across Eldroc. This was done to punish the people of Eldroc for time and eternity for their hateful hearts, that they may all know the potential power that lies within Eldroc.

To this day, thousands of years later, it is said that whoever is to find all six Forgemaster Hammer's will be granted the powers of Forgemaster. Because of this, there are many powerful people throughout Eldroc who will do whatever it takes to recover the hammers and reclaim the powers that were once lost.​
Beta Announcement:
In addition to a basic story being revealed I am also officially announcing a Beta release. While I will not be announcing the time of the release, I will explain what the player can expect if granted Beta access.

The players can expect the following when testing Beta:​
  • Access to all 3 playable characters
  • Level Capped at 10
  • Access to 20 Quests
  • Access to 2 Dungeons
    • 7 Bosses
  • Access to 15 Spells
  • A Special Class Mod

In addition to these, I will also be explaining how Beta Testers can transfer their already leveled character over to the fully released Eldroc as well as allowing Beta Testers to keep their Beta Class Mods.

Wanna Beta Test?

So if you're asking how do I get on the closed Beta Tester List? The easiest way is to largely contribute to the map itself, (ex. Terraining, Triggers, Modelers, Skinners, Etc) another easy way is to actively comment on this thread. Asking questions, giving suggestions, discussion lore and better understanding the game before its release. If you are selected you will receive a private message telling you, you've been accepted.​
Character Specialization:
At the begining of the game, players will select one of three specializations as their main spec,then select one of the two remaining as a sub-specialization to create a very unique character with special skills and proficiencies with certain weapons and armors. However, character uniqueness does not end at the beginning, but the character will develop as the game progresses, based on players play style and habits. Because of this, no two players really have the same character in the end.​
Specialization:
Dozer, The Warrior (Combat) - Dozer, primarily focuses on dealing damage by use of his weapons and shouts.​
Lia, The Assassin (Stealth) - Lia primarily focuses on the art of stealth, deception and poisons to inflict damage on her enemies.​
Yonas, The Wizard (Magic) - Yonas, primarily focuses on inflicting damage through the use of elaborate spells and damage over time.

Character Specialization Models:
dozer2.png
lia2.png
yonas.png

Spells and Abilities:
Abilities are chosen by the player, based on the specialization of their character, new abilities will be given as your hero levels up. However, the level of the ability only levels up based on how often they use that spell.

For example:
My hero levels up and is given the ability, [Mana Orb]. When used the hero throws out an orb in a picked location and drains mana from foes all around it, after a certain amount of time, the mana orb explodes giving back a percentage of the mana drained to the caster. Now that I have it, the ability is level 1 but if I use it often, it will level up, allowing for more mana drained resulting in more mana given to the caster.
All of the heroes abilities work like this. However, some items have abilities, and do not level up this way. Boss and creep abilities also do not work like this.

An basic example of specialization:
I have chosen Stealth as my main spec, I am given the option to use the spell [Stealth] - Turns your hero invisible for a period of time. Deals bonus damage. The amount of time you are invisible and the amount of bonus damage dealt would rank up as you use it. However, I am now required to pick a secondary spec, I choose Magic, because of this, I'm given the OPTION to make [Stealth] a hybrid spell by transforming it into the spell [Phase Walk] -Turns your hero invisible for a period of time. Also allows you to walk through most locked doors.
Each spell has it's own pros and cons over each other, it just depends on how you wanna play your character. [Stealth] lasts much longer and allows for bonus damage, but doesn't give the ability to walk through doors. While, [Phase Walk] allows you to pass through locked doors, it doesn't last nearly as long and doesn't provide bonus damage.
11j0jgy.jpg
If you're asking, "Vanilla, Why?" then you need to be filled in on the real scoop! -- Ok, that was cheesy, well it was ice cream... Alright, I'm done. But really you're probably asking, "Why are we talking about flavors?" well, that is what the rarity of an item is called in Eldroc.

There are 6 Flavors in Eldroc, they are as follows:
  • Common
    [*]Useful
    [*]Uncommon
    [*]Rare
    [*]Epic
    [*]Legendary
*NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE THREADS COLOR CODE SYSTEM*
The flavor scale is not divided between world and dungeon, however it is easier to find a epic in a dungeon then it is to fine one in the world.
For example:
I find an [Devout Traitors Polearm] off a pig in the Emerald Highlands, this is quite a rare find. However I enter a dungeon some time later, and find the same item, this is not as rare as finding it off the pig. It is however quite rare to have found the same item twice.

This scale works for most items in the game, however, there are certain items that can only be found off certain foes within the game.​
Quests:
Completing quests is the fastest and easiest way to level your hero up. After completing a quest you are often rewarded with experience, gold or items. Sometimes all three. Some quests are required to be finished in order to enter a new zone or dungeon. Completing certain quests may change the direction of the game, the landscape, or your relationship with non-player heroes within the game. Most quest objectives will require at least one of the follow : Find, Gather, Explore, Kill and Deliver; however, some may include a multiple amount of these. On the subject of quest objectives, some quests may have 'Optional' objectives, allowing for the player to make their own decision.​
Quest_point.png

To indicate to players a quest is available, a yellow exclamation point is displayed above NPC's, Items and Doodads that have quests.

Quest Types:
Story Line Quests - These quests will help you further progress the main story and save Eldroc.​
Side Story Quests - These quests do not progress the main story any further, however, the can give you a better understanding of Eldroc; it's inhabitants and what it has to offer.​
Specialization Quests - These quests will both require the abilities you have pertaining to your specialization; as well as reward new ones.​
Repeatable Quests - These quests wont offer much in reward, but may be required to repeat in order to progress into another quest.​
Dynamic Quests - Some quests listed in the categories above will fall under this category.​
Dungeons:
Dungeons work like the sub-maps that make up the world map. In that you enter a brand new map when entering a dungeon. Each dungeon does have a level requirement, however, some may have other requirements to enter. Most dungeons consist of mobs, challenging puzzles, and boss battles. Within a dungeon you are much more likely to find better weapons and armor. Also, many quests within the game, will require you to enter most dungeons. And some may even start within the dungeons themselves.

A dungeon has no limit as to how many times it can be cleared. However, any loot or items left in a dungeon will be removed from the game, and no longer available to the player, unless they find another.​

2dtu5h0.png
During these uncertain times in Eldroc, everyone's just trying to get by, by making their fair share of gold, so why would Zipp be any different? But Zipps definition of 'getting by' might surprise you. Of course, the extensions to Zipps Mansion in Emerald Highlands aren't going to pay for themselves. So in hopes that he can get that new steam tub on his roof, Zipp has now opened his personal airships to the public - for a fee!

Before only available to the goblins, these airships follow established routes with a Zeppelin Landing-Pad at each end point. While zeppelin transportation may not be the most economically friendly they are the quickest way to move about Eldroc's massive and rugged terrain. And now with only a 60% crash rate, its safer than ever to fly!​
Features:

Feature Update 1.4 - 4.12.12

• Campaign - Save/Load System
    [*]768 x 768 Map Size (Divided into 9 256x256 separate maps)
    [*]Over 30 Dungeons
    [*]Over 80 Boss Battles
    [*]Over 100 Abilities
    [*]Over 100 Items
    [*]Over 100 Quests
    [*]Over 100 Creatures
    [*]Fast Travel System
    [*]Level Cap - 50
    [*]Nine Main Zones
    [*]Over 30 Towns/Cities
    [*]Companion System
    [*]Challenging Puzzle Games

Screenshots/Preview:
attachment.php
attachment.php
113223d1334802124-eldroc-bloodwingnest.jpg
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

NOTE!: Terrain is in a constant state of change, nothing is final in these screenshots and many of them are still a WIP

Team:
Terrain - Atticus
Triggers - Berb, Ciebron
Modeler -
Story/Idea Factory - Atticus
Icon Art - Atticus
Quests - Atticus​
Projects I Support:
BannerEverwoodFinished3.png

Special Thanks To:

300px-Blizzard_Entertainment_Logo.svg.png

Want to support this project? You can help by doing one or several of the things listed below:
  • Put the new banner as your signature!
    [*]Help create an open discussion of Characters, Items, Spells, Factions, Dungeons, Zones and More! on this thread!
    [*]Contact me if you want to join the team!

[*]Overall, just spread the word about Eldroc!

HTML:
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/eldroc-212749/"][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/11w7gk7.png[/IMG][/URL]
In addition any official updates will be posted on this thread by me in blue text.

I do not own certain art within the thread and claim no right to it, they are owned by the respective creators and owners. I am using for non-profit and creative purposes. Thank You

Attachments

• Terrain1.jpg
    Terrain1.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 2,169
  • Terrain2.jpg
    Terrain2.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 2,118
  • Rockslide.jpg
    Rockslide.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 2,138
  • BloodwingNest.jpg
    BloodwingNest.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 2,097
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 2,114
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 2,076
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 1,939
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 1,950
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 1,946
Last edited:
Level 19
Ver nice concept. I find it suckish that the map is 720 x 720 and has level 30 has its cap.
Increase it. Also, why not increase the map sizes to above 256 x 256 to 480 by 480.
Just use Newgen for it.

Also, upload some game screenshots
And, do you know how hard it is to fill a 256 x 256 map!?
Its really hard since its 9 maps.

Level 6
Ver nice concept. I find it suckish that the map is 720 x 720 and has level 30 has its cap.
Increase it. Also, why not increase the map sizes to above 256 x 256 to 480 by 480.
Just use Newgen for it.

Also, upload some game screenshots
And, do you know how hard it is to fill a 256 x 256 map!?
Its really hard since its 9 maps.

Thanks for your input and praise. I chose to use 9 256x256 over say 4 NewGen 480x480 maps for loading issues, I didn't want certain players to have to wait for extended periods of time for the entire map to load. This way will enable relatively fast load times. Secondly, for now several areas have yet to be finished so your suggestion to increase the level cap is something I probably will do. (I was already thinking about doing it to begin with). Thirdly, I'll post some screenshots throughout this week. And lastly, because of this map and others I have terrianed in the past, I understand how difficult it is to fill 256x256 maps, the maps are this big for a couple reasons, but mostly for aesthetics and 'aw' appeal. Not to mention some of the elaborate puzzle games that I probably should go into in my original post. (I will later today.)

Last edited:
Level 12
Hey, Atticus, long time no see!

I see you've decided to use the terrain of that island you made a while back in here. Or at least one that looks strikingly similar.

I'm looking forward to this, mate. I don't really have time to put into any extensive making, but if you need someone to bounce ideas off of, you can just send me a PM any time. I generally check these forums at least once a day, usually more.

While TLS isn't on wc3 anymore, I still planned on using Farmer Wiggo's Farm, if that's alright with you, :)

Level 6
Hey, Atticus, long time no see!

I see you've decided to use the terrain of that island you made a while back in here. Or at least one that looks strikingly similar.

I'm looking forward to this, mate. I don't really have time to put into any extensive making, but if you need someone to bounce ideas off of, you can just send me a PM any time. I generally check these forums at least once a day, usually more.

While TLS isn't on wc3 anymore, I still planned on using Farmer Wiggo's Farm, if that's alright with you, :)

This game and it's maps are completely original from
TLS. I'm just glad to be creating my own map this time. Yeah you can use anything from TLS I created.

Level 12
This game and it's maps are completely original from
TLS. I'm just glad to be creating my own map this time. Yeah you can use anything from TLS I created.

I know it's original. What I mean is you told me of a project you were doing and it had an island, I thought that was the island in the picture. Perhaps I was wrong.

Level 6
I know it's original. What I mean is you told me of a project you were doing and it had an island, I thought that was the island in the picture. Perhaps I was wrong.

At the moment, this map does not contain said island. But in the future, it might.

Level 28
A question about the abilities that grow stronger as you use them: Does it increase no matter what (as in, spend five minutes casting it as soon as the cooldown's up on the ground while standing next to a Fountain of Mana to get tit to the maximum level), or does it have to hit something?

Level 6
A question about the abilities that grow stronger as you use them: Does it increase no matter what (as in, spend five minutes casting it as soon as the cooldown's up on the ground while standing next to a Fountain of Mana to get tit to the maximum level), or does it have to hit something?

Think of the abilities in this game like a generic RPG hero; if you kill a creep around your level, you are given a sufficient amount of experience. However, if you kill a creep well below your level you are reward much less experience, if any.

Abilities work much like that, in that the amount of experience your abilities are given is based on the difference between your hero and the enemies you are killing. This applies to target-unit, target-ground attacks and auras.

But, Aura's will receive experience slower than target-unit and target-ground attacks because of the fact that they are always in use when you have them set on your spell bar. Auras will also only begin to start leveling, while in combat.

Now, on the question as to whether or not you could just stand at a Fountain of Mana. This would be impossible because of the fact that it is impossible to receive any experience from killing creeps in a town or city.

Level 6
I Supporting your project....
can't wait for this :) oh maybe you need some idea makers or Tester?

I really appreciate the support, putting the signature I've provided in the thread would really help spread the word!

Regardless, the size of this game will push testing back quite a bit. However, I'm always up for interesting ideas, if you think you have an idea that would supplement what I've already established, I would be glad to hear it! Send me a PM!

Level 7
As far as combat, is it simple click'n'go like warcraft 3 or are you going to have an attack button?
Weapon specializations that allow characters to unleash devastating special moves when wielding a weapon proficient with is a possibilty to consider?

Also mostly posting to just subscribe to this thread with support! Wooh, cheers.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Level 6
@AyeKantSpel
As far as combat, is it simple click'n'go like warcraft 3 or are you going to have an attack button?
Weapon specializations that allow characters to unleash devastating special moves when wielding a weapon proficient with is a possibilty to consider?

Also mostly posting to just subscribe to this thread with support! Wooh, cheers.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Eldroc's movement and attack system is a revised Warcraft style, no there is no attack button, I feel that most players find that tedious and take away from the atmosphere of area the player is in.

By the way I appreciate the support!

@Drunken Jackal
Just a suggestion Atticus, se a BnG/Blades n Gore type battle system.
Then, add spells and more combos, so that replayabilty would go up.

Eldroc's current system of hybrid spells that were introduced in this thread will give a sufficient amount of spells. Because of this, the player may not even see some spells till their 3rd or 4th replay of the game.

However, out of curiosity I will check out the mentioned system.

@Lord-T-Rex
Really exciting project! I have always been keen on playing such a well concepted game on wc3!

Thanks for the support! Go ahead and subscribe to this thread and/or save the very classy signature I've supplied for the latest in development on Eldroc!

Level 12
zlowly, I think he means the opposite. There will be a regular attack button like wc3 normally has.

Level 6
oohhh... i think this game gonna be like Heroes Of Genesia...

I played the first chapter just to see if this was similar, and I can say that this game will be nothing like Heroes Of Genesia. And yes it will have a regular Warcraft attack, but, your spells will supplement your attack, this will vary between each character, Yonas will use his melee attack far less if at all compared to Dozer. However, Dozer won't just be a 'run up and start hitting' character, his spells will play a huge role in the damage he produces.

Level 6
Will you be willing to tell me where you got the chests / post them here? :)

The chests are a fabrication of my mind and Photoshop, they are however based on some other popular RPG's, if you happen to know a modeler who would be willing to put these together, it would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Level 19
Thats not bad photoshop skills

but looking at it a 2nd time, its an incredibilly easy edit. Your just taking a rune and putting it above a chest lol. Someone could probably do that ez

Level 6
Thats not bad photoshop skills but looking at it a 2nd time, its an incredibilly easy edit. Your just taking a rune and putting it above a chest lol. Someone could probably do that ez

You would think, but I've bumped a thread on Requests for a week now about it.

Level 17
The ideas behind this are very promising. If you require any assistance, hit me up and I'll see what I can do.

Subbed.

Level 6
Sorry for double posting.

Update!

Added some pictures as well as information about the transportation system.

Level 19
Hey Atticus, I thought of a cool system.
Its a Reputation System.
Maybe, if: you always kill Gnolls, all gnolls would be hostile at you and attack you more often.
Or, if you hate Murlocs and always kill them, all Murlocs will attack you when youre riding ships.
Also, good reputation would give you more advantages.
If you always help humans, they may give you free items/etc.

I like how you made the Zeppelin system.
But it should also give some drawbacks.
Say, you can get shot down by air mercenaries or, in some occasions the Zeppelins are being repaired.
Start game should have disabled zeppelins, maybe level 17 or higher could have enabled zeppelins.
You may be attacked if you have low reputation on races such as harpies.

Also, another transport system would do.
Maybe it would improve all disadvantages of Zeppelin system but is more risky but cheaper.
A train would do.
Trains could be raided also by Bandit or Mercenaries.
Also, you may be attacked if you have low reputation with a land/speedy race.

Level 6
Hey Atticus, I thought of a cool system.
Its a Reputation System.
Maybe, if: you always kill Gnolls, all gnolls would be hostile at you and attack you more often.
Or, if you hate Murlocs and always kill them, all Murlocs will attack you when youre riding ships.
Also, good reputation would give you more advantages.
If you always help humans, they may give you free items/etc.

I like how you made the Zeppelin system.
But it should also give some drawbacks.
Say, you can get shot down by air mercenaries or, in some occasions the Zeppelins are being repaired.
Start game should have disabled zeppelins, maybe level 17 or higher could have enabled zeppelins.
You may be attacked if you have low reputation on races such as harpies.

Also, another transport system would do.
Maybe it would improve all disadvantages of Zeppelin system but is more risky but cheaper.
A train would do.
Trains could be raided also by Bandit or Mercenaries.
Also, you may be attacked if you have low reputation with a land/speedy race.

While reputation is a neat idea for RPG's; for now, Eldroc is quest and dungeon driven.

While I have chosen to reveal some things about the game and some things left to let the player find out on their own, I will say there quests associated with the transportation system. But, its primary function is to transport players across Eldrocs massive map. Also for now, Zeppelins are the only form of transportation over long distance.

Level 7
While reputation is a neat idea for RPG's; for now, Eldroc is quest and dungeon driven.

While I have chosen to reveal some things about the game and some things left to let the player find out on their own, I will say there quests associated with the transportation system. But, its primary function is to transport players across Eldrocs massive map. Also for now, Zeppelins are the only form of transportation over long distance.

What about events effecting random encounters? Let's use the rep idea for example; you're on the zepplin after raiding a gang of assassins' hideout, well the remaining number of them that were out on missions have returned to learn your actions and now plot to take you out in a gruesome retalition to show that they will not tolerate this attack and lead an air strike against your zepplin resulting in an air battle? Or maybe something less direct, they put out a quest giver to send you to a dungeon in hopes of locking you in or something that requires a bit more of thought to catch on.

Level 6
What about events effecting random encounters? Let's use the rep idea for example; you're on the zepplin after raiding a gang of assassins' hideout, well the remaining number of them that were out on missions have returned to learn your actions and now plot to take you out in a gruesome retalition to show that they will not tolerate this attack and lead an air strike against your zepplin resulting in an air battle? Or maybe something less direct, they put out a quest giver to send you to a dungeon in hopes of locking you in or something that requires a bit more of thought to catch on.

Is this a question about the quests associated with the zeppelins or a suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.