• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Draenor RISK - A world reimagined...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Draenor RISK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
197474-albums4248-picture40536.jpg
Help Wanted
TerrainerTriggererRacial Designer

Zizuzazu
(WoW Risk Triggers by Priwin)Roflpotamus

Open
OpenOpen

Open
OpenOpen

--
Open--

197474-albums4248-picture40221.jpg

General Information
The map will feature the Draenor of old, before Nerzhul opened the many portals that tore the world apart and even before Gul'dan ushered the Horde into Azeroth. The game will begin with the fall of Auchindoun, following its explosion. The loading screen will read something like this...

Small History
“The Orcish Clans of Draenor have united under Blackhand, Gul'dans puppet, and now seek the total annihilation of all Draenei. Auchindoun has just fallen and the Draenei are getting desperate. They have sent emissaries to Khaléri, a land unknown of by the Orcs, begging for help from its denizens.”
Khaléri
Khaléri
Khaléri is the continent across the Devouring Seas that was destroyed completely when Nerzhul's portals were opened. Little is known about this land or the people that inhabit it, but when they decide to involve themselves in the Draenei-Horde conflict, the history of Draenor will be changed forever.
Story Mode

This would replace AvH in WoW Risk. Most multi-player war maps on WC3, like Azeroth Wars, jump straight into the action and provide very little background and very little in-game narrative. Story Mode, however, will have more of a 'story' feeling to it, where players feel like history is unfolding before them, but that they are also in control. This would be similar to what Blizzard does for their RTS campaign modes. It tells a great story but its still a game, not a novel.

Another thing about Story Mode is that I want it to have a different opening cinematic for each race.

After the cinematic, a small text will probably appear, customized to each race, that would be something like this:

“You have chosen to play as the Romants. Your story begins with the founding of Rom, a small city-state. Surrounding your fragile kingdom are tribes of Mantis and Spiders. Conquer them and add their strength to your insectoid empire!”

Then, throughout the game, I'd like certain events to further expand on the story and tell more about each race and their beliefs and culture. It could work like this:
*The Romants have conquered all of the insect races and regions*
The Romants settling of the West is near complete. With the full strength of Khaléri's insectoid races marshaled under one Emporer, the Romants set about civilizing their various tribes and reinforcing their hold on their new Empire. The majority of your resources are therefore allocated to constructing roads, building temples and securing your borders.
*Players income is then halved for 5 turns but towers are constructed at the borders of the Romant Empire*

This is just an example, the narrative might get more in-depth, I'm open to ideas.

Special Events

There will be 20 different 'special events' in a game mode called, obviously, Special Events. The idea started with Mission Cards, like in actual Risk, but it sounded too simple, unoriginal, complicated from a trigger standpoint, and there would have been too many triggers needed for a full deck of 'mission cards'.
The special events will, mostly, be completely random, with some limits. For instance, a negative event can only happen to players with over 70 income, with few exception. Most of the events will be negative, but there might be some random beneficial events, or maybe these beneficial events will be player controlled, please leave any positive criticism about this feature. I still need to get a feel for what people think before I'm certain about this gameplay addition.
Special events will be implemented into the game for multiple reasons. First, in WC3 risk, once one player has become overwhelmingly powerful, the only way to defeat them is by teaming. There are multiple complications with this, however, especially since it is often the fault of the game design, not the player's strategy, that makes one player more powerful then the other. One example of this is that often in risk, players will truce one another, sometimes even halting all expansion. Players who keep fighting are then at a disadvantage as their opponents only continue to horde gold, and are wide open to being teamed by the players who have truces with their neighbor/s. Another complication with teaming being the only balancer to defeat opponents with a huge advantage is that it forces players to rely on one another to win in a FFA game. Special events will be added to give weaker players a chance to win, make the game more challenging for the winning player to keep winning and make risk more fast-paced.
At this point in time, I'm very open to any ideas about what these special events should be.

More

I want to take the current risk system Priwin has given us and make it more strategical and fun.
One way I'd like to improve the gameplay is by giving each race 20 units. A lower tier with cheap units, and a higher tier with expensive units This way, near end game or even mid-game, people won't experience unit lag or be forced to spam huge and hard-to-control armies. I plan to do this by giving each race an initial base that features the cheaper units, and then after they reach a certain income level their bases will automatically become the expensive base. To help explain this in-game, the new bases will feature a new clan or another addition of more powerful units. An example: You are the Frostwolf clan and after having reached an income of 75 (or an amount which the player has manually set) the Dragonmaw clan has joined your ranks and bolstered your units. This would signal the change in bases and explain the cause of it (but the real reason would be to make gameplay smoother).
This is not taken from the actual game, just a quick example.

Another thing I want Draenor RISK to accomplish is to make risk more strategy-oriented. One way I was thinking of doing this is by giving bonuses to units' damage depending on their location within the terrain. For instance, units would do more damage if on a hill and less damage if attacking up-hill, but I would need to discuss this with the triggerers first.

Terrain
  • Draenor RISK will feature its own terrain based off the image above which is an expanded version of the Wc2 Draenor Map made by Blizzard.
  • In addition to an expanded Draenor, there will also be a new continent, Khaléri.
  • All of the terrain will be designed with Risk gameplay in mind.

Shattrath

Hellfire Citadel
96286d1295147307-outland-risk-wc3scrnshot_011511_030415_01.jpg

Karabor (Black Temple before the corruption)
96289d1295147307-outland-risk-wc3scrnshot_011511_033411_03.jpg

Blackrock Stronghold (One of the Horde player's capital)
96287d1295147307-outland-risk-wc3scrnshot_011511_030519_02.jpg

Drocadarian (Capital of the Dracodar)
96288d1295147307-outland-risk-wc3scrnshot_011011_061841_01.jpg

Draenor
197474-albums4248-picture40493.jpg

Draenor RacesLoreModels
Draenei----

Blackhand's Horde
----

Ner'zhul's Faction
----

Shadow Council
----

Akarroa
----

Gronn's Ogres
----

Ogri'la
----

Mok'Nathal
----

Khaléri Races
LoreModels

Bēarung
The Bēarung have always had close ties to nature and the treants of Outland. Their cousin-race, the Wearün, were also close allies, but recently a dark taint has spread throughout the Wearün.
180px-Furbolg.jpg
attachment.php
attachment.php

*Other lore: All the way from birth to early bearhood, a Bēarung will typically walk on all fours. As a Bēarung enters the mid-years of his life, he will begin to walk on two feet and learn to wield weapons. By the end of his life, he will have mastered the art of walking on two feet and can stand up to 10 feet tall.
*Within the Bēarung exist a 'brutish' sub-race of bearmen. They are easily recognizable by their two horns and hulkish manner. Though no less intelligent, this sub-race of Bēarung wield their bulk and physical might with deadly purpose.
*The Misha bear model will be used for younger Bēarung.
*Furbolgs will be used for the middle-aged Bēarung.
*This model will be used for the elder Bēarung.
*And the sasquatch model will be used for the brutish Bēarung.

Defiled Wearün
A mysterious race composed of, primarily, necromancers and their skeleton army. Originally, the Defiled were no great threat to the Bēarung. However, the Defiled have gained control of a large majority of the wolf-like race, the Wearün. In Story Mode player will start using only necromancers and skeletons, and then gain control of the Wearün if they complete certain objectives.
*Most Necromancer models will be taken from Wc3.
*Some skeleton models will be taken from the hive, like Ampharos' skeleton models.
*Most of the Wearün models will be from the hive, like this one, except for the youngest Wearün which could just be the regular Wc3 wolf.

Kragadillians
Not much is known about these reptilian humanoids who live in the swamps of Krag. It is believed that they are the ancestors of the Drakonids.
attachment.php
130px-14%2C563%2C0%2C485-Elder_Dragonkin.jpg
attachment.php
Naga will be used for Serpent-like Kragadillians.
*Models such as this will be used for a Lizard-like Kragadillian sub-species.
*Dragonspawn from warcraft 3 will also be used for a crocodile-like Kragadillian.
*Other models will include the hydra, turtles and snap dragons.

The Dracodar Empire
The Drakonid's once held a peaceful and lucrative trading agreement with the orcs of Draenor, and while the rest of the Orcish clans left them in peace, the Dragonmaw clan grew jealous and hungered for the wealth of the Drakonian settlements. The Dragonmaw clan eventually led a punitive campaign against the Drakonid's of Draenor, destroying the empire's economy and diminishing their presence on the Draenor continent. This occurred so long ago that it is barely even a myth in the eyes of these Orcs, but for the Drakonids the loss of their empire is still a painful memory.
*To keep the Drakonid empire from heavily mirroring the Dragons of Azeroth, I've decided to use nearly all of General Franks Draconian models.

Draeorcs
A clan of half-draenei half-orcs, it is unknown how they arrived on Khaléri, but emissaries of the Draenei and Orc factions have contacted them in an attempt to enlist their help.
*Models will most likely just use tinted Wc3 orcs, and tinted Eredar. Open to suggestions/help on picking Draeorc models.
Colossi/Elementals

The real draw of this map is going to be its epic scale, classic and unique races, innovative gameplay and the chance to re-shape the history of Draenor in Story Mode.

Attachments

• Naga.jpg
    Naga.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,185
  • Lizard Warrior.jpg
    Lizard Warrior.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 2,402
  • Sasquatch.jpg
    Sasquatch.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,082
  • Tree Protector.jpg
    Tree Protector.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 2,169
Last edited:
Level 8
Lost ones weren't here Alagremm until Draenor exploded, also I'm be glad to help you in any way. I love the idea of a bug race :) maybe a lizard type race who live in marshes? Also because there was no snow in Draenor I'd presume that makes the continent somewhere in the middle or southern hemisphere?

Level 8
Lost ones weren't here Alagremm until Draenor exploded, also I'm be glad to help you in any way. I love the idea of a bug race :) maybe a lizard type race who live in marshes? Also because there was no snow in Draenor I'd presume that makes the continent somewhere in the middle or southern hemisphere?

Sweet man that sounds awesome :) I'm stoked to have your help. Should I add you to the team? Or do you want to be more of a casual helper? Would you want to be racial designer? or maybe terrainer?

No pressure here if you're busy with something else, but I would love your help. It sounded like you had some really good ideas for your last WCII map, so if you think of anything like this lizard race let me know.

As for the lizard race, sounds cool to me if the lizards were paired up with another humanoid race, who are kind of the lizards masters but not really, they're more like equals but the humanoid would be in control. There's a term for it I'm sure, but the relationship is kind of like the humanoids have great respect for the thunder lizards and they have a very close bond, kind of like the bond between horse and rider. The horse is at first wild and is not easily tamed, but once they are they are very powerful and easy to control, assuming the master is a skilled rider which he would have to be anyways to tame and train a horse.

It sounds complicated what I'm trying to say but it really isn't! I just don't know how to say it.

Kinda weird that you have a new continent and a weird new races... and there are enough races on Draenor:
1.Draenei
2.Orcs
3.Arakkoa
4.Ogres
5.Mok'nathal
6.Colossi
7.Bogstrokk
8.Lost ones(they are very different from normal draenei in every way, so I count them as another race)
Sorry to hear that you think adding a new race and continent to Draenor are 'wierd'. I was actually going for original, creative, unique but each unto his own =P.

Anyways I have multiple reasons for wanting to add a new continent to Draenor, so I won't be changing that, and you only listed 8 races, one of which, as Levdragon pointed out, doesn't even exist at the time of my game.
The other two races you suggested I don't think would work as a Risk race. I'm not sure if you've ever played WoW Risk, it doesn't sound like you have, but a race of crabs and a race of giant stone creatures won't really work. For one, the lore is kind of funky no? The giants take like 5 people to kill in Outland if I remember correctly and are quite powerful. What would a 3g colossi be? Or anything cheaper then a 6g colossi really.
Second, there are no good models in Wc3 for a colossi race. There's only the mountain giant, which bares hardly any resemblance to the colossi of Outland and I couldn't fill an entire race, each of which would likely have 18 units, with just one unit that is tinted over and over again, which is the only way I could make a colossi from Outland out of a mountain giant, as I see it.
Your second race, the bogstrok, was like suggesting me to make a race of turtles. There's hardly any models available for the race, hardly any variation, and to me sounds quite boring, plus I doubt the bogstrok are very powerful or organized to pose a real threat to the orcs or any other established race. Not that they aren't powerful individually, but they're not really big enough to be a real race, they're more like a creep, and a boring one at that.

My last criticism of your post is that you only posted 8 races, which is why I say I don't think you've ever played WoW Risk. It includes 12 people playing at the same time, which means that at least 12 races would be needed, preferably more as that has always been the tradition and sounds more fun to me.

You didn't really even try to give me any good advice did you? I see nothing helpful in what you posted. Not trying to be rude, but I was a bit disappointed that such a Draenor fanatic had nothing helpful to say.

Whoa, you just owned Ala... But anyways, I dislike your 'Hauren' and 'Bearung' races. They are very unoriginal, were already have Centaurs and Furbolgs, and to be honest, 'Bearung' ain't exactly the most subtle name (imagine Blizzard naming the Tauren as Cowrung). As Levdragon said, a lizard-ish race would be good. It hasn't been thought of yet in Wc3, and the closest they have is Naga (which are more fish-people than reptiles).
Other than that, I think this project has real potential. Good luck.

Level 8
Whoa, you just owned Ala... But anyways, I dislike your 'Hauren' and 'Bearung' races. They are very unoriginal, were already have Centaurs and Furbolgs, and to be honest, 'Bearung' ain't exactly the most subtle name (imagine Blizzard naming the Tauren as Cowrung). As Levdragon said, a lizard-ish race would be good. It hasn't been thought of yet in Wc3, and the closest they have is Naga (which are more fish-people than reptiles).
Other than that, I think this project has real potential. Good luck.

Of course you are right, but I'm working with Wc3 models only here, so technically none of it will be completely original. I understand that the Bearung are closely done after Night Elves, and the Centaur are... umm... well they're centaurs so there's that, but I really am having a difficult time making something almost totally original using Wc3 models only. However, Blizzard did design Outland with always having had Ancients, ie the treants, so I thought it would be fitting if they had some sort of naturistic ally, ie the Bearung, just as the treants have the Night Elves on Azeroth. Also, beruang means bear in Malay, but I liked the look of Bēarung better, I thought that the ē, with its little line, might hide the fact that its just bear with ung added to it O.O I guess not lol.
However, I got the idea of using another language as inspiration for a race as Blizzard does this quite commonly.
I'm only using Wc3 models to reduce lag, however, I've played Star Wars risk, which seemed to have a lot models, and it had zero lag. So I'm wondering, is lag caused by doodads or custom models, even if the models are between 100-200kb?
Although, I would hate to make a completely new race from custom models then discover that it makes the game lag and re-do it entirely...
I'll try to make the races more unique, but I thought that by making the Hauren kind of worshipping elementals, instead of just being Centaur, and then being enslaved by the elementals when they summoned the leader of the elementals, was enough to make them original. I guess not =/ lol as everyone seems to like an insect race but not the Bearung or Hauren. I'll keep trying... but like I said Wc3 models only makes it hard, and a lizard only race I don't see how that is possible as the Thunder Lizard are the only Lizards in Wc3.

Oh well! Thanks for constructive post, appreciated, I will try to make them more original, any suggestions how to?

I think I'll be more of a casual helper please, christmas coming and I have a social life :D (hard to believe huh?)
Fair enough, and what is "social life"?

Also, Santa Clause does all the work at Christmas, so how is this a problem please???

Last edited:
Level 23
Well I believe that using lost ones who didnt exist back then is much better then using races which didnt exist at all.

I have dude, I have many times and colossi can use mud golems as lesser colossi which cost less. And for your info many races in WoW risk use a few models and bogstrokk can too. Plus what prevents you from adding couatles(spore rays) and spiders to their races as additional units?

I am a Draenor fan, thats why I am against making completely new races, which are rip-offs of the Kalimdorian ones, hence why I propose using the Draenor races.

And as for the lost ones being created after destruction of Draenor... well, the story of draenei becoming lost ones in Unbroken is set in Zangarmasrh, possibly the least corrupted place in Draenor. Corruption could has gone much faster for draenei hiding in more corrupted regions.

Level 2
Well I believe that using lost ones who didnt exist back then is much better then using races which didnt exist at all.

The new races are being proposed for new landmasses that existed pre-Outland. The landmass the Orcs lived on cannot have been the entirety of the planet. I personally believe that it extended out in all directions and probably had other continents. I know for a fact that Zangarmarsh extended to the west due to the Ogre mound quests. Rather than having Orcs (huge numbers of 'em) and Draeni en mass on the other continents, which would be a total lorelol, why not create new races, all of which the verdict is still in question as to what happened to them after the creation of Outland.

I have dude, I have many times and colossi can use mud golems as lesser colossi which cost less. And for your info many races in WoW risk use a few models and bogstrokk can too. Plus what prevents you from adding couatles(spore rays) and spiders to their races as additional units?

I like your idea for spore rays and I'm pushing for Bogstrokk on the other forum as well =x

I want at least 3 races per zone and a limit of 3 players per zone. The Bogstrokk are big enough to be considered a faction, and should damnation!

I am a Draenor fan, thats why I am against making completely new races, which are rip-offs of the Kalimdorian ones, hence why I propose using the Draenor races.

The reason he was making rip-offs was because he thought that he was forced to using standard models due to lag. This appears not to be the case so don't be surprised when you see Roman-Insect people (Praying Mantis style go!) and Mayan Lizardmen duking it out. The Lizardmen taking the place of the Gauls.

I'm a strong supported of basing every race we create in real world cultures since Blizz has done this thus for and look how well it's worked for them!

And as for the lost ones being created after destruction of Draenor... well, the story of draenei becoming lost ones in Unbroken is set in Zangarmasrh, possibly the least corrupted place in Draenor. Corruption could has gone much faster for draenei hiding in more corrupted regions.
[/quote]

The Lost Ones were created at the destruction of Shattrath. This game is set before the destruction of Shatt but after the formation of the Shadow Council.

Level 23
Well yes, but those arent exactly the races I imagine for Draenor, they are too similar to the standart ones...

Honestly, I think that the cultures that are made customly are much better, because basing stuff on real cultures is... bleh.

Actually thats when their corruotion began and those were Broken. Lost ones are further devolved Broken.

Level 2
Well yes, but those arent exactly the races I imagine for Draenor, they are too similar to the standart ones...

Honestly, I think that the cultures that are made customly are much better, because basing stuff on real cultures is... bleh.

Actually thats when their corruotion began and those were Broken. Lost ones are further devolved Broken.

Orcs are based off of ancient Japan.
Male NE are based off of the Celts.
Female NE are based off of the Amazonians.
Centaur are based off of the Mongols.
Tauren are based off of the Native Americans.
Naga are based off of Atlantis.
Trolls are based off of the Caribbean.
Dwarves are based off of the Irish.
BE are based off of Iran/Persia.

The list goes on, and all of these are what helped Warcraft become the cultural monolith it has become.

So what you're saying is that Lost Ones only came to being well after the events of Draenor Risk

Also, I'm loving the mod you're making, gl!

Level 23
Not really dude, only the orc blademasters are based on Japan, orcs are clearly based on native americans.
Amazonians arent a real life culture dude, they are a legend >>
Naga are based on Naga dude, its an Indian myth, plus in the terms of civilization here Blizzard went pretty original.
Trolls are based on Jamaican to be precise, as well as simple tribes of South America.
Dude, where the hell did you get the idea that dwarves are based on Irish? DO they wear green and love shamrock? Everybody knows dwarves are based on Scottish.
Okay, this is just too much... how the hell are blood elves based on Iran or Persia? Oo

Warcraft was a cultural monolith. WoW ruined it and now lore is fucked up and isnt as charming as it was. The cultural monolith it was, was replaced with a game for people who arent interested in anything but simply playing.

Yes. But I didnt know when it was set.

Level 10
Orcs are based off of ancient Japan.
Male NE are based off of the Celts.
Female NE are based off of the Amazonians.
Centaur are based off of the Mongols.
Tauren are based off of the Native Americans.
Naga are based off of Atlantis.
Trolls are based off of the Caribbean.
Dwarves are based off of the Irish.
BE are based off of Iran/Persia.

The list goes on, and all of these are what helped Warcraft become the cultural monolith it has become.

So what you're saying is that Lost Ones only came to being well after the events of Draenor Risk

Also, I'm loving the mod you're making, gl!

I personally think that dwarves are based off the irish

Level 2
Not really dude, only the orc blademasters are based on Japan, orcs are clearly based on native americans.
Amazonians arent a real life culture dude, they are a legend >>
Naga are based on Naga dude, its an Indian myth, plus in the terms of civilization here Blizzard went pretty original.
Trolls are based on Jamaican to be precise, as well as simple tribes of South America.
Dude, where the hell did you get the idea that dwarves are based on Irish? DO they wear green and love shamrock? Everybody knows dwarves are based on Scottish.
Okay, this is just too much... how the hell are blood elves based on Iran or Persia? Oo

The Orcs adherence to honor, to the clan, to their clan lord (as in the deference Durotan was shown by members of his clan), and by their strict class system with the warrior caste and the peons. The original Orcs were more native-american, but the rest are very based in Ancient Japan.

Concerning the Amazonians: so what? They are a real life legend instead of a completely newly created poppycock.

Naga are in the same boat, neh?

Irish, Scottish, what's the difference? They're both dysfunctional alcoholics that were at the mercy of the English. One moreso than the other.

Concerning the BE: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8487 I'm not sure if he mentions the Hookahs there, but these articles are prevalent throughout BE households as well.

Warcraft was a cultural monolith. WoW ruined it and now lore is fucked up and isnt as charming as it was. The cultural monolith it was, was replaced with a game for people who arent interested in anything but simply playing.

Yes. But I didnt know when it was set.

Agreed in the failure of WoW.

Really, Illidan going evil and attacking the Naaru, the SAME GUYS WHO ARE ALSO FIGHTING THE LEGION?

=/

=\

Level 23
Well that is actually based more on the cultural perspective of orcs rather then on Japan.

Yes they were a real life legend, but night elven women are based on the modern amazons, which were created by lusty teens >>

Naga are the same as in Indian myths, snake people from underwater.

Well Irish are more of "Where is me pot o' gold?" while Scottish are "Fur Scotland!!!! For tha claaaan!!!!"

Well its a fact, Blizzard got spoiled by WoW, now they are like new EA >>

Level 8
Lol, well all this is very informative, but perhaps we should get back to talking about races yes? Custom models don't make uber lag, many units, many doodads, many special effects make lag, also trigger leaks. Using 1 custom model for every race isn't that bad, and for some races you might not even need to use them. For my lizard race I propose you use naga models, or Cavman's lizardman footman. Thunder lizard would be good for their "mount" or enslaved species.

Another race as you mentioned was a sentient lizard race, because the old gods influence on Outland is pretty major, (Althought not as big on as on Azeroth) a insectoid race like the Qirraq and Nerubians would be perfect. This time you could make them sort of evolve, like they start as small bug/bees, then the next tier of units is a more evolved unit that land walks with wings that no longer work (nerubian?), next would be a stronger, tougher and again more evolved one. The insectoids could have enslaved the local inhabitads, small deformed failing creations of the titans, like troggs, but more adapt to warfare, they could use the Gnoll models.

Hope you liked this :S

Edit: Also bearmen is a really cool idea and race, but their models would match the Mok'Nathol, and it would be a bit confusing. Like you said making an entire race of custom models would be unfavourable. IT's a bit unforuntate that both of these race would share the same model. Making them Furblogs would no longer make them bears men though, but this is an alternative.

P.S Oh also, you defiently need to make one marsh region for the new continent, lizards love marshes ^^

Just to inform you....
USE FRICKING CUSTOM MODELS!!!

No, but seriously, you're allowed to import stuff. Believe it or not, triggers cause the majority of lag, even when there's like 200 units flying around. Doodads, units and destructables cause minimal lag. As long as you polish data and stuff, a map with 4mb of imported materials will cause little lag.

I'd suggest perhaps more 'primitive' choices, such as the said lizard-people. So, maybe a lizard race, bat race and an insectoid race as mentioned above.
But, to separate them from Wc3, the lizard race will not be Naga-like, bat-people are already unique, and make them aerial insects.
So, just some examples:
The Venci (derived from Venom), an ancient race of saurian origin, whose culture is similar to that of the Aztecs.
The Morgians (random, the 'Mor' bit sounds dark(eg. Moria, Morgana, Morgoth, Mordor) which suits bats), a race of bat-like people who dwell deep in the trenches of Khaleri.
The Eryans (aer-eons), an ancient race of dragonfly-men, whose blood is close to that of the Qil'jiraj(or something).

Offtopic:
Humans - medieval England
Dwarves - Scotland/Norse
Gnomes - steampunk Irish
Orcs - Native Americans
Trolls - Jamaican, mon
Draenei - Russian protoss??

Level 2
Just to inform you....
USE FRICKING CUSTOM MODELS!!!

No, but seriously, you're allowed to import stuff. Believe it or not, triggers cause the majority of lag, even when there's like 200 units flying around. Doodads, units and destructables cause minimal lag. As long as you polish data and stuff, a map with 4mb of imported materials will cause little lag.

I'd suggest perhaps more 'primitive' choices, such as the said lizard-people. So, maybe a lizard race, bat race and an insectoid race as mentioned above.
But, to separate them from Wc3, the lizard race will not be Naga-like, bat-people are already unique, and make them aerial insects.
So, just some examples:
The Venci (derived from Venom), an ancient race of saurian origin, whose culture is similar to that of the Aztecs.
The Morgians (random, the 'Mor' bit sounds dark(eg. Moria, Morgana, Morgoth, Mordor) which suits bats), a race of bat-like people who dwell deep in the trenches of Khaleri.
The Eryans (aer-eons), an ancient race of dragonfly-men, whose blood is close to that of the Qil'jiraj(or something).

Here's a thought: make the bat people culturally resemble the Aztecs/Mayans and play the role of the Gauls and barbarians for the Roman Insectmen. The bats would be based in jungle territory mostly.

So far for model/race ideas (not culture and backstory):

Lizardmen
Batmen (FEAR THE KNIGHT!)
Insectmen
An octopus-ish race, tentacled
Derivations of the Arrakoa:
Hawkmen, predatory, etc. Hunter​
Pigeons/Doves, prey species, heavily relies on magic in place of muscle​
That's all for now, back to paper.

Offtopic:
Humans - medieval England
Dwarves - Scotland/Norse
Gnomes - steampunk Irish
Orcs - Native Americans
Trolls - Jamaican, mon
Draenei - Russian protoss??

Humans - medieval but not really defined other than that
Dwarves - Scotland
Titans - Norse
Gnomes - steampunk (definitely not Irish, Gnomes are SMART and w/o a dozen kids)
Orcs - Japanese
Tauren - Native American
Trolls - Jamaican, mon
Draenei - I think that the Draeni are a combination. They are Indian in their Elekks and dances and they are some other fugitive (or were fugitive) people. Not sure which. Could be a facet of some middle-eastern country (most likely), refugees from the iron curtain, or related back to India again, who knows.

Sadly, the Vikings and the Eskimos are already taken in WoW and the Gauls seems to be taken via the Worgen =[

Fuck 'em I say!

Actually, it is quite obvious Humans are British. Can you not tell by their accents(not to mention all of their quotes)? The whole of the Alliance is British.
If you read more lore, you'll find that Dwarves are descended from Titans, and they retain some of the Norse-like culture (like their fascination with runes and stones, and their love for axes, hammers, and smashing)
Gnomish accents seem Irish to me, and there is no need to be racist to them.
Orcs are not f*****' Japanese! Alagremm made that point before, only the Blademaster is, the rest are American Indian, as with Tauren.

Level 2
Actually, it is quite obvious Humans are British. Can you not tell by their accents(not to mention all of their quotes)? The whole of the Alliance is British.
If you read more lore, you'll find that Dwarves are descended from Titans, and they retain some of the Norse-like culture (like their fascination with runes and stones, and their love for axes, hammers, and smashing)
Gnomish accents seem Irish to me, and there is no need to be racist to them.
Orcs are not f*****' Japanese! Alagremm made that point before, only the Blademaster is, the rest are American Indian, as with Tauren.

Their accents are very much not British. Just because they speak English and do not have Western, Mid-Western, or Eastern United States' accents does not mean that they are British.

They have no single accent and no direct references to Britain rather than any other medieval region.
I have read more lore, and while Dwarves are descended from Earthen, their cultural roots lie more closely with the Irish and the Scottish than the Norse. The Titans themselves are strongly connected with the Norse, as are the Viking people in Northrend.
Norse people are not fascinated by excavating artifacts or relics of their past.

Tell me what else the Irish are known for? They've been f'd by the British time and time again, Irish twins refers to having kids in a span shorter than a year, and the bloodline tends to be alcoholic. My father's side of the family is Irish through and through and this is pretty characteristic of the Irish. They also have redeeming qualities such as their staunch stance against politics and being controlled but this is most likely due to the constant British invasions.

As per the Orcs:

A RIGID CASTE SYSTEM OF PEON, SHAMAN, AND WARRIOR CASTE (Orcs)
A RIGID CASTE SYSTEM OF PEASANT, MONK, AND SAMURAI CASTE ( Ancient Japan)

BOUND BY HONOR EVEN IF IT MEANS DEATH AND IT REGULARLY DID (Orcs)
BOUND BY HONOR EVEN IF IT MEANS DEATH AND IT REGULARLY DID (Ancient Japan)

BOUND BY DUTY TO THEIR CLAN AND CLAN LORD (Orcs) **Read the Rise of the Horde**
BOUND BY DUTY TO THEIR CLAN AND CLAN LORD (Ancient Japanese)

If anything, Orcs can also be compared to the Spartans with their practice of baby killing (under the WoWWiki Culture page). However, their strong adherence to honor more closely resembles Ancient Japan.

While Orcs might have originally resembled the Native Americans, ever since the rise of Gul'Dan, these cultures hold little to nothing in common.

For one, the Native Americans never killed the entirety of a more technologically advanced race (Draenei).
For two, the Native Americans were not renown for their strong sense of honor and loyalty to clan (of course Native Americans contained these traits, but not to the degree that the Orcs display)
For three, the Native Americans never set up towering structures of great architectural difficulty.
For four, the Native Americans never became "corrupted" by another religion and thereafter waged a serious civil war on each other.
The list goes on and on.

Level 8
Alright all these ideas seem good, especially this bat race :)

Off topic:

Humans = A medieval version of americans
Gilneas = British :) (Victorian period ofc)
Dwarves = CELTIC ! lol
Orcs = A mix of japnese, mongal/barbarians, and native americans

Level 23
Okay, time for a Lorekeeper to make this all clear...

Draenei are based on Byzanthy, that can be seen in their titles, architecture and beliefs, that it why they have similaity with Russia in some things.

Orcs DO NOT have a caste system like in Japan. If you are an orc you can become anybody you want. Peons are the only exception, but not because they are a caste, but because they are bord smaller then other orcs.

Dwarves are a race based on Norse mythology and Scottish culture(Wildhammer clan being based more on Celtic mythology), not a thing from Irish. Gnomes arent Irish either, they are actually quite original.

Do you really think that Blizzard will just copy paste everything? -.-
The fact that native orcs killed draenei colonizators is ironic joke, reversing the history of America.
Native Americans are so loyal to their tribes, in Japan only the samurai, being the most honorable of warriors were so loyal.
As I said before... they wont just copy paste everything, replacing Native Americans with orcs -.-
Of course they will add some things... uhm, how do they call it... of their own?

And as for the races, I think that a faceless one-like Old God corrupted race, as well as a stone people race would be excellent. Another thing that fits are of course the lizardmen, who will be excellent, if made properly.
You could also make an elemental race, seeing as they are quite powerful in Draenor.

Level 2
Centaurs=Huns
Dwarves=Scottish/Norse
Humans=Western Culture
Jungle Trolls=Incas
Forest Trolls=Maya
Orcs=Mongols/Japanese
Undead=?
Naga=Atlantis legend/Stories from different cultures
BE=Middle Eastern (look at their buildings)
Gnomes=Irish

Couldnt come up with more but which culture does undead represent?
Edit: + Tauren=Native Americans

Level 2
Nickel how much are you planning the big tier units will cost? Cause if its only 13g then you can easily reach 500 units on the map and that will totally crash the game with custom units :/

Level 2
Yeti? How would they fit? and how would their culture be?
the Yetiurgs xD are one of the mayor civilizations of Draenor. 21 years ago they lost a war to the allied Orc/Ogre/Lizard and Draenei forces, but now, a new leader called Yetilf Yetler has taking the power, and is slowly expanding his country in all dircetions, from the city of Yerlin. The Draenei has accepted a secret pact which shares Draenor into 2 spheres, the Draenei and the Yetiurg spheres. Now, Yeptember 1st, the Yeturgs has declared war on the Bearung. The Orcs, Ogres, and Lizards wont stand it anymore! The Draenor War 2 has begun...

Level 8
IF you add Yeti I presume you mean to add snow, the original Draneor had no snow, so I presume it would be somewhere in the southern hemisphere? That would mean you would need to add the new continent far south, or far north.

Level 2
How was the planet draenor was on before it got ripped? and btw are you gonna include the time-warp thingy or just draenor only?
THere might have been a country in the far north like Northrend on Azeroth...

And Levdragon who do you think i am??????

Level 8
Special Events

]OK sorry I was gone for a day or two guys, had some real life stuff to take care of.

I see rofl, Ala, Lev and Ghost, with a little help from fatty, have kept this thread plenty active, thanks a lot guys! I also see that about 60-70% of the discussion has been off-topic WoW Race culture debating, and about 40-30% has been some helpful race suggestions. Either way, at least its gotten some free bumps and I'm sure some good stuff has come from it, plus, now we are all a little more educated about WoW Races' various cultures. We nerds thank you.

So back on topic, I'll have to make a detailed thought out and overly long post about all the race suggestions later, as I am soon off to work and have no time to do so atm, but rest-assured I soon will! I'll just say this: lizard-men kind of a deal shall definetely be added, batmen (and robin) will not be. I'll explain why later today!

For now, I have an idea called special events, please let me know what you guys think!

Special Events
There will be 20 different 'special events' in a game mode called, obviously, Special Events. The idea started with Mission Cards, like in actual Risk, but it sounded too simple, unoriginal, complicated from a trigger standpoint, and there would have been too many triggers needed for a full deck of 'mission cards'.
The special events will, mostly, be completely random, with some limits. For instance, a negative event can only happen to players with over 70 income, with few exception. Most of the events will be negative, but there might be some random beneficial events, or maybe these beneficial events will be player controlled, please leave any positive criticism about this feature. I still need to get a feel for what people think before I'm certain about this gameplay addition.
Special events will be implemented into the game for multiple reasons. First, in Wc3 risk, once one player has become overwhelmingly powerful, the only way to defeat them is by teaming. There is multiple complications with this, however, especially since it is often the fault of the game design, not the player's strategy, that makes one player more powerful then the other. One example of this is that often in risk, players will truce one another, sometimes even halting all expansion. Players who keep fighting are then at a disadvantage as their opponents only continue to horde gold, and are wide open to being teamed by the players who have truces with their neighbor/s. Another complication with teaming being the only balancer to defeat opponents with a huge advantage is that it forces players to rely on one another to win in a FFA game. Special events will be added to give weaker players a chance to win, make the game more challenging for the winning player to keep winning and make risk more fast-paced.
At this point in time, I'm very open to any ideas about what these special events should be.

Attachments

• My avatar.jpg
    My avatar.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Draenei Avatar.jpg
    Draenei Avatar.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Level 2
OK sorry I was gone for a day or two guys, had some real life stuff to take care of.

I see rofl, Ala, Lev and Ghost, with a little help from fatty, have kept this thread plenty active, thanks a lot guys! I also see that about 60-70% of the discussion has been off-topic WoW Race culture debating, and about 40-30% has been some helpful race suggestions. Either way, at least its gotten some free bumps and I'm sure some good stuff has come from it, plus, now we are all a little more educated about WoW Races' various cultures. We nerds thank you.

So back on topic, I'll have to make a detailed thought out and overly long post about all the race suggestions later, as I am soon off to work and have no time to do so atm, but rest-assured I soon will! I'll just say this: lizard-men kind of a deal shall definetely be added, batmen (and robin) will not be. I'll explain why later today!

For now, I have an idea called special events, please let me know what you guys think!

Special Events
Special events will be implemented into the game for multiple reasons. First, in Wc3 risk, once one player has become overwhelmingly powerful, the only way to defeat them is by teaming. There is multiple complications with this, however, especially since it is often the fault of the game design, not the player's strategy, that makes one player more powerful then the other. One example of this is that often in risk, players will truce one another, sometimes even halting all expansion. Players who keep fighting are then at a disadvantage as their opponents only continue to horde gold, and are wide open to being teamed by the players who have truces with their neighbor/s. Another complication with teaming being the only balancer to defeat opponents with a huge advantage is that it forces players to rely on one another to win in a FFA game. Special events will be added to give weaker players a chance to win, make the game more challenging for the winning player to keep winning and make risk more fast-paced.

Nickel, you cracked me up with that first paragraph. ;]

Also, this idea concerning events is Awesome!

One I can recommend is the Red Pox that basically guaranteed the survival of the Mag'Har into the Outland day and age: http://www.wowpedia.org/Red_pox

Another could be an arcane rift. Oh the ideas are endless!

I'm especially supportive of having only certain events affect players above a certain income.

Nick, you're a bloody genius!

Level 2
Civil War? Almost all big Empires have gone through a civil war so i think it should be one of them
effects should be that you lose some income for some turns... like 50% if thats not too much
Edit: Could also include a "Famine" event which decreases income from certain regions, you could also add inflation which decreases income for players who doesnt use their money...

Last edited:
Level 2
dont add the famine just add good harvest/bad harvest events, which increase and decrease income. Could also add hurricanes, earthquakes and such but i dont see where they would fit...
also add a "new warchief" event which increases income for the strongest orc player

Level 13
I like the map but I still hate the reimagined part you had perfectly good races for it but what ever floats your boat. Also being as it's "RISK" map make sure it's risk like and not just mass attack here RABLE RABLE RABLE! Make it more strategy with chokes points king of the hill areas and fun combat.

For one, the Native Americans never killed the entirety of a more technologically advanced race (Draenei).
For two, the Native Americans were not renown for their strong sense of honor and loyalty to clan (of course Native Americans contained these traits, but not to the degree that the Orcs display)
For three, the Native Americans never set up towering structures of great architectural difficulty.
For four, the Native Americans never became "corrupted" by another religion and thereafter waged a serious civil war on each other.
The list goes on and on.

No offense but you fail on these

1st Native Americans repelled a viking attack which at the time Vikings were way more advance and all the natives had were body paint making them look like large blue smerfs and loin cloths.

2nd They were renown for there strong sense of religious honor like honoring the spirits (Shamans) while it may not to be to anther they did respect ranks so you fail again.

3rd Yes while they never set up amazing places they made pretty amazing accomplishments with what they had like how piligrams or any other new comer couldn't survive in warm house with clothing and they survived in paper huts with no clothes.

4th Yes they were corrupt at times when the "White Man" came over they brought famine and death in and in turn some of the Americans went with them to flee all the illness and went to England and such and became one of the civilized people in turn could be called corruption!!!! Also they were know to have wars with other tribes and even tribes coming together to fight other tribes civil war!!!

Level 8
OK I have some time now to respond, somewhat, to the races.

@Levdragon: First, thanks a lot Lev for the serpentmen idea and suggesting naga models. I've updated the first post to include the Krags, a reptilian race living in the marshes. I'll use Naga as serpentmen, Dragon spawn as crocodilemen and custom models for lizardmen. +rep for idea and model suggestion when I can give it again :)

@ghostthruster: Also, not enough time once again to respond to batmen race, but there's really no good models for 20 units of batmen, even using custom models. Also, I thought I'd just call the reptile race The Krags, it just sounds simple and reptilian to me (only after did I realize that is also a Ninja Turtles villian... still I like the name) or do you think I should use Venci? I'm still open to suggestions.

@Alagremm: I'm adding the Sasquatch, Jungle Stalker, and Wendigo models to the Beruang race as a kind of brute-bear. What do you think?

Also... thanks fatty and rofl! I'll post more about Special Events when I get the time.

Oh and L2Love, yes I am trying to make the game more skill/strategy-oriented, as I said in the first post. Not sure what you mean by king of the hill? Explain please :)

One last thing... you guys are stereotyping, well every race, but Native Americans especially hard core! Its not like EVERY Native American was animistic. Also, there were some really really evil Native Americans. Not saying all are evil of course! But it's just like all people, some are good some are bad and it varies to the degree.

Edit: And... I made insect race a bit more defined, I was thinking of the name... Romanthropods as a combination of arthropod and Roman. Also... RomANT? It's just too perfect! Plus I like the idea that the Ants were the initial Romans that absorbed the other insect races into their society as Ants are oh so ... organized. Plus, the movie Antz was funny stuff and they kicked termite butt!

Thanks all for the support :ogre_love:

Level 13
What I meant by key of the hill is areas where if you fight for them they are just worth good strategic spots like great places to make a defense or siege some area.

Level 2
Change the bear race to Ewoks.

They kicked the ass of men in power suits wielding laser guns using only sticks and stones, what could be more terrifying?

Some more events:

Revolt: For one instance, all of your units have a X% chance of going hostile.
Rebellion: For one turn (how long it takes for income to be collected) every X (dependent on turn time) seconds a X% of your units will become hostile.

Oh yeah, as stands, I'm in favor of scratching both bearmen and Centaur ideas until they can become more of their own lore instead. As stands, Bearrung look to be very close copies of WoW Furbolgs with their druidism, love for nature, and whatnot, and the Centaur seem to be WoW Centaur with a boner for Elementals.

Oh baby, and for a final race that I did not propose in the other section, a race of beings, not sure what, that effectively force the Elements to their will, imbuing themselves with their power.

Furthermore, to explain the Dragonmaw clan's name (there are no dragons in Outlands, yet this clan was named this before going to Azeroth), I feel that there should be an ancient race of semi-Drakanoid creatures that used to have an empire that stretched though the northern half of both continents (I am in favor of Draenor being the west continent, a north-eastern continent named whatever, and a large archipelago stretching south-east). Their story could be akin to the fall of the British Empire, however, a tad more bloody in the case of the Dragonmaw. While the rest of the Orcish clans left them in peace, the Dragonmaw could have been the group that riled together and drove them out akin to one of their wayward colonies (most were granted independence and did not have to fight for it, post WWII, I'd lol so hard if the Dragonmaw were akin to the U.S. in how they rebelled). This event occurred so long ago that it is barely even a myth in the eyes of these Orcs, but the loss of their empire is still a painful memory for the Drakonids.

The reason for the fall could be anything, from internal warfare over a wide arrange of issues (whether to enslave the other species or not) to the "colonies" becoming less and less economically viable.

I prefer the former personally as it explains why they do not dominate on the eastern continent. Long-lived creatures with a slow metabolism (makes sense), a slow learning curve, and a low birth-rate would take a long time to recover from such a loss. Mayhaps they could be on the lower hotter half since Lizards are cold-blooded, but Dragons in the snow sounds kinda cool to me =x Fuck it, A MAGE DID IT!

EDIT: Before I forget, Draenor Risk should totally change the Void terrain to water and allow for ships. That place in southern Hellfire Peninsula was renown as a port... Damned if I remember the name...

DOUBS EDIT: Hmph, where can I find a copy of the map so I know what to type !map NAME to please? Danke shoun!

Level 8
Dragonkin are a cross breed of dragons right? If nether dragon are native to Draenor then your could make a nether dragonkin race? If their not, well just use dragons as Roflpotamus suggested.

Edit: Nevermind nether dragons were just black dragons exposed to the corruption following the destruction of Draenor.

Level 8
Well LV2Love, nearly every map has such strategical battlefields and Draenor Risk will be no exception.

Also... got a new idea, hope you like and please leave some ideas/feedback :)

Story Mode
This would replace AvH in WoW Risk and attempt to explain the lore of all the new races AND the lore of the original Draenor races. I could really use some good suggestions on this as I'm not sure how to create a story mode for a risk map that is balanced and varied. It will be a lot different then most 12 player Wc3 war maps, such as Azeroth Wars, mainly because this is a risk map and I'd like to give the player more of a story to live out. Currently, most war maps, like Azeroth Wars, jump straight into the action and provide very little background. I would like to give Story Mode more of a 'story' feeling to it, where players feel like history is unfolding before them. This would be similar to what Blizzard does for their RTS campaign modes. It tells a great story but its still a game, not a novel. Any ideas about how I could do this or how I might balance such a mode?

Here's one example I came up with.

“You have chosen the nation of Romant. You begin as a small city-state. Surrounding your fragile kingdom are tribes of Mantis and Spiders.”

That isn't the only description I want players to start with, but I'm pressed for time atm =P, going to work soon and I'd really appreciate some feedback to read when I get back :).

Another problem I have is I don't really want to start Story Mode in the way Azeroth Wars does, where you can't move or click or anything, so that players are forced to read the text in front of them. I'd like the opening cinematic to be more game-like (my idea is to do something like in Ocarina of Time, which starts with Navi and she leads you to Link [ignore the scene with the Deku Tree!]). I want it simple but more immersive then what Azeroth Wars currently does. Sorry for using Azeroth Wars as an example so much but I'm in a hurry and it's the only thing that comes to mind, I hope you've played it :).

Anyways, I hope this made sense and that I get some useful feedback please
:ogre_haosis:

Also it may seem like I'm trying to do a lot, but this is probably the last big thing I'll add to the map. The Risk format can only be innovated so much and plus I want to get this map out by january 30th!

Edit: Thanks again rofl I post more later g2g now tho! to answer question game is called outland_risk_1.0 i believe. just type !map outland and its most current one. not .15 or .11 or w/e. Thanks again be back in like 7 hours.

Level 8
Oh also I found some races you could implement into the game, they are native to Draenor,

Ancients: "Ancients are also native to Outland. There once was a grove of ancients in the Blades Edge Mountains, its name forgotten. They lived there in ancient times before the destruction of Outland. Mosswood the Ancient is one of the last of these ancients." (Wowwiki)

Sporeling: "Sporelings are a mostly peaceful race of mushroom-like humanoids native to Zangarmarsh in Outland, where they have their own town called Sporeggar. While fearful of travelers (especially those significantly larger than them), they are quick to welcome anyone to help them."

Sand Gnomes: "It is believed, although has never been confirmed, that they originated from Silithus[1], but recent discoveries indicate that many of the sand gnomes live in Uldum.[citation needed] How they arrived in Outland remains a mystery."

Wow nice deadline xD, the idea seems good, you could do an intro cinematic, if it was scenario mode that is.

Level 2
Well LV2Love, nearly every map has such strategical battlefields and Draenor Risk will be no exception.

Also... got a new idea, hope you like and please leave some ideas/feedback :)

Story Mode
This would replace AvH in WoW Risk and attempt to explain the lore of all the new races AND the lore of the original Draenor races. I could really use some good suggestions on this as I'm not sure how to create a story mode for a risk map that is balanced and varied. It will be a lot different then most 12 player Wc3 war maps, such as Azeroth Wars, mainly because this is a risk map and I'd like to give the player more of a story to live out. Currently, most war maps, like Azeroth Wars, jump straight into the action and provide very little background. I would like to give Story Mode more of a 'story' feeling to it, where players feel like history is unfolding before them. This would be similar to what Blizzard does for their RTS campaign modes. It tells a great story but its still a game, not a novel. Any ideas about how I could do this or how I might balance such a mode?

Here's one example I came up with.

“You have chosen the nation of Romant. You begin as a small city-state. Surrounding your fragile kingdom are tribes of Mantis and Spiders.”

That isn't the only description I want players to start with, but I'm pressed for time atm =P, going to work soon and I'd really appreciate some feedback to read when I get back :).

Another problem I have is I don't really want to start Story Mode in the way Azeroth Wars does, where you can't move or click or anything, so that players are forced to read the text in front of them. I'd like the opening cinematic to be more game-like (my idea is to do something like in Ocarina of Time, which starts with Navi and she leads you to Link [ignore the scene with the Deku Tree!]). I want it simple but more immersive then what Azeroth Wars currently does. Sorry for using Azeroth Wars as an example so much but I'm in a hurry and it's the only thing that comes to mind, I hope you've played it :).

Anyways, I hope this made sense and that I get some useful feedback please
:ogre_haosis:

Also it may seem like I'm trying to do a lot, but this is probably the last big thing I'll add to the map. The Risk format can only be innovated so much and plus I want to get this map out by january 30th!

Edit: Thanks again rofl I post more later g2g now tho! to answer question game is called outland_risk_1.0 i believe. just type !map outland and its most current one. not .15 or .11 or w/e. Thanks again be back in like 7 hours.

Regarding story-mode, if we want an official story, then I think your idea works fine!

However, if we want the players to feel that they have a large impact in the story, I'd argue to have the maps cut off into small segments (whatever fits the story) and have the players duke it out within these, whoever wins becomes the "emperor" ruler, or whatever of said zone.

An example of this could be the Romants, other bug people A, and B. Whoever wins effectively becomes the "empire" of this region when this region pops up in the next story mode. All of the factions would use the same units in this specific case.

This cane then be done for most zones, and then be done between larger factions. If one faction wins the entire scenario, a civil war can break out that divides the fighting, etc. A timeline can ensure that different factions will rise to power in different times.

We could either leave it static and leave the order of the rise to power for these races be in a specific order, or let the players vote on which story they want to go through first. After the end of the story, they could then choose another one.

I am more in favor of leaving it static without choice so that the next empires in the story mode can be called whatever faction won, plus it will be easier for us to create a story with civil wars, betrayals, and whatnot.

EDIT: Lovin the story idea btw =x

Status
Not open for further replies.