• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Death's Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
Banner.jpg

Logo.jpg

A Warcraft 3 campaign
Story.jpg

Death’s Ascension features an epic story-line somewhat similar to „The Force Unleashed“ of the Star Wars Universe. In between the events of Warcraft 3 TFT and WoW WotLK, a sole Paladin and her few followers prepare for a last assault on the Lich King. He has disappeared from the world, yet his minions roam the lands of Lordaeron, seek out and slaughter the last remnants of mankind.
Joan Deteryn is one of the last Paladins of the Silver Hand, but she has not gone into hiding like a lot of her other comrades. She and her group followed a call for a last shipment to Northrend, a brave but nearly hopeless attempt to end the just started reign of the Lich King.
Nobody knows what will await them at the roof of the world. Will the Light win? Or will Death ascend?

Characters.jpg

joan3.jpg
Joan Deteryn
Joan was born into a poor farmer family in the Tirisfal Glades. She never had much in her life, which consisted mostly of work. Her family earned her living through their farm work, and they were happy with it.
It took not long to see the girl’s affinity to the holy light itself, and it would not be unseen by the Order of the Silver-Hand aswell. When she was only five years old, she managed to heal a neighbor-boy from an broken leg, with her bare hands.
As the youngest member ever to be taken into training with only 11 years, Joan was not appreciated at first. The other recruits picked on her and were jealous about her gift.
Yet she did not fail to master her training flawlessly. The Order became more and more astounded of what she was capable of. Joan was not only talented in speech and lyrics, her combat skills and her relationship to the Holy Light where outstanding.
With 17 years, 2 years earlier than the average recruit, she was given the knighthood of the Silver Hand by Uther Lightbringer himself.
When the scourge hit Lordaeron, Arthas dissolved the order, decimated most of them and travelled to Northrend, the remaining knights started a last assault. They sent mes-sengers out into all ends of Lordaeron, summoning the remaining knights of the order, under them Joan and her group. But things go not as planned, and Joan finds herself in the claws of the scourge…
[tr]

Thelichk.jpg
Arthas Menethil
Crown Prince of Lordaeron and Knight of the Silver Hand, was the son of King Terenas Menethil II and heir to the throne. He was trained as a paladin by Uther the Lightbringer, and had a romantic relationship with the kind sorceress Jaina Proudmoore.
Despite his promising beginnings, Arthas became one of the most powerful and evil beings Azeroth would ever know. Taking up the cursed runeblade Frostmourne he became a death knight, led the Scourge in destroying Lordaeron, and merged with the Lich King, ruling as the dominant personality of the Lich King for years afterwards.
[tr]

0Medivh.jpg
Medivh
After the events of the Battle of Mount Hyjal it was assumed, that he may have met the end of his wandering on Azeroth and he would now somehow depart the material plane, or that he may have retired somewhere distant.
[tr]

0Nathanael.jpg
Athanel Montaine
Arthas was not able to kill all of his former soldiers that where with him on his first journey to Northrend. Some survived his betrayal and stayed in Northrend, hiding from the Undead and countless other threats the roof of the world has to offer.
Athanael proofed himself as leader and with the few that remained, they formed a new order: "The Light's Vengeance". Swearing an oath, that they would do everything to overthrow the Lich King and put an end to his reign.
[tr]

Progress.jpg

Chapter 1 - Going North - 100%
Chapter 2 - Cold Winds - 25%
Chapter 3 - The Dark Below - 0%
Chapter 4 - Rime - 0%
Chapter 5 - The Storm Peaks - 0%
Chapter 6 - Old Friends - 0%
Chapter 7 - Escalation - 0%
Chapter 8 - The Summit

Media.jpg

Chapter 1 - Going North
Screen4.pngSceen2.pngScreen3.pngScreen1.png

Last edited:
That layout :D

People seem to get some liking to the whole Scourge and Silver Hand thingy these days (not that it's bad or something).
Cliffs ( :/ , hopefully jayjay won't be around :3 ) in terrain, anyway this look promising (I say that a lot :< ).

Just tell me that the story will include some traitors, upside down events, magics and such and I'll be melting with joy ;)

Note: Use other color instead of that red for the first post. Good luck.

Level 51
Sorry for the inactivity in this thread. Everyone of you should know I am a lazy ass.

I'm totally open for skillset suggestions, although I already had a few in mind. Nothing too fancy, but at least not standard ones.

You won't need them for long anyway *cough* *cough*.

I'm also experiencing an wierd bug containing the campaign files itself, making them unable to load from wc3, as well as several imported files dissapearing and appearing again.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Sorry for the inactivity in this thread. Everyone of you should know I am a lazy ass.

I'm totally open for skillset suggestions, although I already had a few in mind. Nothing too fancy, but at least not standard ones.

You won't need them for long anyway *cough* *cough*.

I'm also experiencing an wierd bug containing the campaign files itself, making them unable to load from wc3, as well as several imported files dissapearing and appearing again.
Sorry to hear about the issues.

For skillsets, we would need to know what the Heroe(s) are. Is she a warrior, an assassin, a hunter, a naturalist? Is she melee or ranged? Primary Attribute (& secondary Attribute)? Is she meant to deal lots of damage, or support her troops, or inflict debuffs on enemies, or maneuver around the battlefield, etc etc (pick two)?

Basically Theme? and Role?.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well, she's obviously a paladin, kinda a retribution e.g. damage orianted one, but she also needs some sort of healing ability to keep her allies alive (a simple holy light seems to be the best chance here).
Well, still a few things to figure out/determine/understand:
  • What's the scope of this project; self-contained, or branching out? Any other custom stuff going on (custom race, other custom heroes, etc)?
  • Can you (re)use existing in-game spells?
  • Do you ever need a computer (i.e. AI) to be able to cast the spells?
  • Do you have any other Heroes she needs to interact/synergize with?
  • What kind of animations does the model have (some good ideas can come from this)?
  • Any other needs?

That being said, for Healing, if you want something a bit more unique, just throw together a simple modified-reverse Forked Lightning (i.e. "forked healing"); multi-heal that is "unique" (to the game). OR, even better, since she's a Paladin, what about a reverse Acid Bomb! You have your choice of "burst heal" or "heal over time", and then some kinda buff (like +Armor for the duration). Single- or Multi-target, too. (this depends heavily on the answer to #1 & #2; AI's don't like reversed spells)

For "retribution", consider a repurposed "Spiked Carapace", something like "Hallowed Shield" or "Armor of Virtue" or something. Basically passive +Armor & personal-Thorns Aura ("strikes down attacking infidels").
Alternatively, if you want an Active "retribution" spell, & can have a tiny custom model, I can share with you a little modding secret I came up with (triggerless "smash someone into the air").

Depending on the answer to #4, you could consider involving some kind of "Shield Bash" or "Power Strike" or something.

Ultimates... Hard. Gotta be something awexome, but you don't wanna just re-use Resurrection (or do you?). Perhaps a kind of reverse-Resurrection//AoE Parasite/Doom: Deal X (massive) damage in an area around the Paladin, and any enemies slain by this holy burst are raised as Holy Warriors ("templar"? "scion"? "exemplar"? etc) to fight for the Paladin. Meh, but meh.

Also, consider "Crusader" rather than re-using "Paladin". Or perhaps one of the above names ("Light Templar"... "Holy Archon"...?)

Thoughts?

Level 2
Only one suggestion relating to skills would be scripted skills that are dependent upon stats. Stats-based skills are much more interesting compare to fixed skills. This way, items with specific stats increment can help boost skills damage. You can include some hidden tomes or tomes as rewards to completing side quests to help boost stats.

If trained by Uther the paladin, then she should have similar abilities as Paladin. Paladins are strength-based with moderate intelligence b/c they can be adept magic users:

1. Holy Slash - (bladestorm? ) (strength-based + minor int-based damage)
2. Divine Inner Strength - increase damage, defense, and regen rate (the role of paladin is to inspire self and others)
3. Healing Wave or Tranquility are both good healing abilities (int-based healing amount)
4. Soul Burn - only applicable on undead and demons (damage per sec, damage penalty, move speed reduction) (int-based damage)
5. Critical Strike & Evasion or Mana Siphon

Level 34

Ones me and a mate of mine decided on creating a small adventure map that featured paladin as a hero. We gave up when it came to level-desighn, but we also came up with a good skillset that served a pretty simple hero gameplay that on it's turn did not requre too much micro-controlling. I will the skillset here. Released a couple of effects from that unfinished project here on THW not long ago.

The core skill was a "Divine Barrier". Upon casting it the hero released a taunting ability and gained immunity to N damage for fairly small time period. Of course the hero was attackeable while the skil was active. A simple themed tanking ability.

We also considered making it casteable on other units, which could serve a good replacement for plain healing spells.

The second skill was hero's main and the only offensive active ability: "Devotion". A fairly simple battle-cry buff that increased allies' damage and movement speed for a brief time. Damage buff was not supposed to affect paladin.

The third skill never got it's name. It could have been called Divine Presence or something. For N seconds the Hero granted a small (1 maybe 2 hp\s) regeneration bonus to allies in a certain, but fairly big AOE around him. The visual effect was a small and barely visible holy'ish yellow ambient glow around every affected target. The skill did not affect caster himself and was fairly cheap when it came to mana consumption.

The ultimate was rather complicated. I don't think it was accomplished when we were developing the map.

It's a passive skill and it's called "Killing Blow"
With a certain chance a random enemy, instead of getting a lethal damage will get a killing blow buff. With this buff the only unit to deal this poor Enemy physical damage is our Paladin hero. Any other source of physical damage would have just dealt it 0 damage. When the Enemy was smashed by paladin's hammer he blew up in a bloody explosion (like if paladin smashed him so hard he left only a small splat of blood instead of an actual dead body), causing every surrounding ally unit to get an attack- and move-speed buff.

If more than N seconds passed the unit have died on his own. And you could have damaged him with a spell, but without a bloodbath explosion and a buff of course.

The synergy seems quite obvious, i don't think that there is a need to explain it.

Last edited:
Level 51
Well, still a few things to figure out/determine/understand:
  • What's the scope of this project; self-contained, or branching out? Any other custom stuff going on (custom race, other custom heroes, etc)?
  • Can you (re)use existing in-game spells?
  • Do you ever need a computer (i.e. AI) to be able to cast the spells?
  • Do you have any other Heroes she needs to interact/synergize with?
  • What kind of animations does the model have (some good ideas can come from this)?
  • Any other needs?

That being said, for Healing, if you want something a bit more unique, just throw together a simple modified-reverse Forked Lightning (i.e. "forked healing"); multi-heal that is "unique" (to the game). OR, even better, since she's a Paladin, what about a reverse Acid Bomb! You have your choice of "burst heal" or "heal over time", and then some kinda buff (like +Armor for the duration). Single- or Multi-target, too. (this depends heavily on the answer to #1 & #2; AI's don't like reversed spells)

For "retribution", consider a repurposed "Spiked Carapace", something like "Hallowed Shield" or "Armor of Virtue" or something. Basically passive +Armor & personal-Thorns Aura ("strikes down attacking infidels").
Alternatively, if you want an Active "retribution" spell, & can have a tiny custom model, I can share with you a little modding secret I came up with (triggerless "smash someone into the air").

Depending on the answer to #4, you could consider involving some kind of "Shield Bash" or "Power Strike" or something.

Ultimates... Hard. Gotta be something awexome, but you don't wanna just re-use Resurrection (or do you?). Perhaps a kind of reverse-Resurrection//AoE Parasite/Doom: Deal X (massive) damage in an area around the Paladin, and any enemies slain by this holy burst are raised as Holy Warriors ("templar"? "scion"? "exemplar"? etc) to fight for the Paladin. Meh, but meh.

Also, consider "Crusader" rather than re-using "Paladin". Or perhaps one of the above names ("Light Templar"... "Holy Archon"...?)

Thoughts?

Well. I'm aiming to create a campaign, but it's just something I'm doing in my free time when I feel like it. The abilities are just needed for the first 3 missions, because of reasons. So they don't need to be that complicated. No custom races, they just need to be used by yourself. No other heroes.
For the animations, I plan on creating a new model for her.
She is going to stay a Paladin though, as she is a knight of the silver hand and everything else would not work well lorewise. There would also be no real explanation where her new title came form.

Only one suggestion relating to skills would be scripted skills that are dependent upon stats. Stats-based skills are much more interesting compare to fixed skills. This way, items with specific stats increment can help boost skills damage. You can include some hidden tomes or tomes as rewards to completing side quests to help boost stats.

If trained by Uther the paladin, then she should have similar abilities as Paladin. Paladins are strength-based with moderate intelligence b/c they can be adept magic users:

1. Holy Slash - (bladestorm? ) (strength-based + minor int-based damage)
2. Divine Inner Strength - increase damage, defense, and regen rate (the role of paladin is to inspire self and others)
3. Healing Wave or Tranquility are both good healing abilities (int-based healing amount)
4. Soul Burn - only applicable on undead and demons (damage per sec, damage penalty, move speed reduction) (int-based damage)
5. Critical Strike & Evasion or Mana Siphon

These are some real cool ideas. I'm really considiring adding this, although only later, as my triggering-skills are not that advanced.

Ones me and a mate of mine decided on creating a small adventure map that featured paladin as a hero. We gave up when it came to level-desighn, but we also came up with a good skillset that served a pretty simple hero gameplay that on it's turn did not requre too much micro-controlling. I will the skillset here. Released a couple of effects from that unfinished project here on THW not long ago.

The core skill was a "Divine Barrier". Upon casting it the hero released a taunting ability and gained immunity to N damage for fairly small time period. Of course the hero was attackeable while the skil was active. A simple themed tanking ability.

We also considered making it casteable on other units, which could serve a good replacement for plain healing spells.

The second skill was hero's main and the only offensive active ability: "Devotion". A fairly simple battle-cry buff that increased allies' damage and movement speed for a brief time. Damage buff was not supposed to affect paladin.

The third skill never got it's name. It could have been called Divine Presence or something. For N seconds the Hero granted a small (1 maybe 2 hp\s) regeneration bonus to allies in a certain, but fairly big AOE around him. The visual effect was a small and barely visible holy'ish yellow ambient glow around every affected target. The skill did not affect caster himself and was fairly cheap when it came to mana consumption.

The ultimate was rather complicated. I don't think it was accomplished when we were developing the map.

It's a passive skill and it's called "Killing Blow"
With a certain chance a random enemy, instead of getting a lethal damage will get a killing blow buff. With this buff the only unit to deal this poor Enemy physical damage is our Paladin hero. Any other source of physical damage would have just dealt it 0 damage. When the Enemy was smashed by paladin's hammer he blew up in a bloody explosion (like if paladin smashed him so hard he left only a small splat of blood instead of an actual dead body), causing every surrounding ally unit to get an attack- and move-speed buff.

If more than N seconds passed the unit have died on his own. And you could have damaged him with a spell, but without a bloodbath explosion and a buff of course.

The synergy seems quite obvious, i don't think that there is a need to explain it.

Awesome ideas! The ultimate seems kinda complicated but cool.
I really like the idea with the barrier instead/additonal to an heal.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Edit: I also updated some character info.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
PROXY said:
Well. I'm aiming to create a campaign, but it's just something I'm doing in my free time when I feel like it. The abilities are just needed for the first 3 missions, because of reasons. So they don't need to be that complicated. No custom races, they just need to be used by yourself. No other heroes.
Ah good.* That simplifies things a bit.* Then yeah (& going with your point about triggering), you can make things quite simple with just a few OE-modded abilities.* Any in particular strike your fancy?

PROXY said:
For the animations, I plan on creating a new model for her.
Well awexome!* That means, depending on what you pick, you can hand-craft the animations to fit the spells perfectly. : )

PROXY said:
She is going to stay a Paladin though, as she is a knight of the silver hand and everything else would not work well lorewise. There would also be no real explanation where her new title came form.
I guess.* It's your decision, ultimately.* But I don't feel like something like that would be that hard to explain away (the Order of the Silver Hand has plenty of people; squires, knights, paladins, etc.* I imagine they could have others, and/or names for different types of paladins (i.e. paladins, crusaders, templars, archons, etc etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.