• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Darkness Call ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Hey guys. I just want some opinion about the terrain enhancement I'm doing. I'm adding many areas their own custom fog using "glow" since what I'm aiming for Darkness Call is to give it a unique touch. I'm quite confident about it and is actually not planning to show a sneak peak of it until the release of 0.3.0 but it just kinda hit me that there might be people who may not like it and prefer the completely utterly dark environment of Darkness Call or that they might not prefer the color I decided which are:

White: Areas where there are Undead
Red: Boss Areas for Main Storyline
Blue: Boss Areas for Side Quest

other than those three colors are many colors that will be used to fit on the environment like green for swamp light grey for city etc etc. There will still be dark areas and the fogged areas are still obviously dark. The fog is just there to give important areas a unique feel.

Some examples of fogged areas:

Editor Shot In-game Shot In-game Shot
Terrain 1 A.jpg Terrain 1 B.jpg Terrain 1 C.jpg
Terrain 2 A.jpg Terrain 2 B.jpg Terrain 2 C.jpg
Terrain 3 A.jpg Terrain 3 B.jpg Terrain 3 C.jpg
Terrain 4 A.jpg Terrain 4 B.jpg

Feel free to tell me if there is something you didn't like there or have other suggestions to improve it. I want to make everything final before I do this to all areas. Also you don't need to worry about fps drop since I tried it and there is no such drop.

Last edited:
Level 28
Thanks guys. Although I was actually hoping for feedback about the fogs density(is it too dense or too strong?) and if the color is nice on your eyes.

I didn't know the editor was that messy.

Welp, can't really help it. Its the only way I know on how to add custom fogs. I love looking on my terrain in the editor but for Darkness Call I have to prioritize how it looks like in-game.

Level 5
I think its been close to a year since I was actively on this site; and I still see one of my very first friends making incredible unique maps still to this day. I can tell just by looking at the screenshots the atmosphere of this map is amazing, wouldn't expect anything less! :wink: Such a dark and gloomy atmosphere with a hint of evil lurking in its presence. (As I suspect you were going for, with a name such as 'Darkness Calls' :smile:) One of my favorite type of scenarios.

But the most thing I enjoy out of any game, is a challenge - which I see you have done, as you described, "unpredictable" and "creeps with abilities" now that sounds like a challenge to me. And it seems their abilities do not have cooldowns as us the heroes do, now that's interesting.

I see that is it meant for 3 players. Maybe later today or even this weekend if I get the chance we could play if you want, old friend. (Hopefully you haven't forgot about me) :)

Level 14
I really like your terrain style. The fog gives a good atmosphere and I'm guessing it looks better ingame than in the editor from so far away

Level 28
@PK

And here I thought that you're long gone my friend. We miss your informative insights on the melee mapping scene. Although I'm not really one to talk since I also tend to become inactive this days.

I'm glad to hear that my little project over here is good enough for your interest I'll try my best to keep it that way.

To be honest I'm actually done on playing War3 maps. My maps and terrains are just to pass by some free time if I'm not out. Try asking Heinvers he seems to be the most active guy around this forum. :D

Anyway, nice to see you around again. Are you planning to stick for a while?

@Veritas

Yeah, the fog when viewing from the editor really sucks but it looks nice in-game(I posted some in-game screenshots with the fog on my last update post if you didn't notice).

EDIT:

Just some news guys. I'm not gonna work on the project for a while to give way for my entry on Hive's Terraining Contest # 16. I can't work on both cuz I don't have that much free time.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Hey son I would like to ask if u could give me a link to where I can get the model you used for the cliffs. (the gray one)

Level 28
Just another random bump.

I add some new stuffs on the game and what I'm gonna show you on this post are two new shops that sells some necessary items.

Screenshots  (1)A.jpg
-Scroll Collector - Sells scrolls that can help a single player or the entire party on their journeys.

Screenshots  (2)A.jpg
-Collector(Placeholder name) - Posses items that you cannot get hold anywhere than him. Instead of money this guy only trades with gems that you can get from bosses, secret/side quests.

Also I finally decided what to change on the Pyromancer's skillset.

I removed the Fireward in exchange of "Taste for Magic". A passive ability that gives Pyromancer a bonus on her intelligence everytime she cast a spell. The bonus runs out after 10 seconds of no casting. Timer reset per cast.

Level 28
I think this scrolls will be very important since this will be the party's utility item. You may not rely on it on lower difficulties since the price might be too high but I believe you'll need a lot of it on higher difficulty since there will be scrolls that can boost your as, ms, armor, heal hp replenish mp and remove stun to make you par on stronger, faster and more dangerous creeps on higher difficulty.

Also what do you think of the new tooltip style?

Level 14
I always like different ways of getting loot, besides drops and vendors. So this is nice, because you get your reward for killing a boss, but get to choose what you spend it on. It isn't just gold that you can get from killing creeps either. Nice idea.

Also what do you think of the new tooltip style?
It's definitely good looking and better tbh.

I believe you'll need a lot of it on higher difficulty since there will be scrolls that can boost your as, ms, armor, heal hp replenish mp and remove stun to make you par on stronger, faster and more dangerous creeps on higher difficulty.
That's my boy :)
It's a good call. That way you won't get OP too soon.

I always like different ways of getting loot, besides drops and vendors.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Level 28
But at the current state, what differs the collector from simple quest rewards?

I haven't really given that much of a thought. But being able to choose from different items should be more than enough. Maybe the screenshot only having 3 items to choose from didn't convince you but there should be 12 per collector when I release the new version.

Will it be the greater range of items to pick from?

Yup. It is just a fancier way of giving players more options on their gear. They're not necessary but the active abilities might entice you.

Level 28
very nice! can't wait for the finished map.!

So am I! The author should seriously work harder on this project!
211785-albums5481-picture65468.gif

I can't show any screenshot since I didn't made any big progress that can be shown in screenshots but I can give you the list that I've done recently and the only things that needed to be done.

Recent progress:
-Finished two scripted boss fights. Its on a separate map but transferring them should be easy.
-Finished the quest tree till the end of chapter 3. Note: Its very psychological, bloody and plays heavy twisted humor on human behavior. So if you don't like that you can leave this thread.
-Grind Dungeon is done.
-The Branching Side quest on the "Mine" is done.

Things to do:
-MAKE ITEMS FOR HEIVER'S SAKE! I can't get myself work on items. Lazy syndrome. I find it boring at times.
-I've already written the side quests but I haven't able to make them yet, I might also rework them to make them blend with the story but that is not really a priority.

Also, I asked DIMF to make the level cap thingy that bhusta suggested since I tried to do it myself but can't get it to work properly and he said he will help, I didn't give him any deadline since I don't want to pressure him.

Level 28
Welp, been really a while since I posted something about the map.

Here are some screenshot from me playing the new branching quest in the mine. I plan to put up a video from the start of the quest till the boss fight.

Q: You'd talked about this branching quest for a while now but what the hell is it?

A:The branching quest is just a side quest because you don't really have to take it. The twist is that the fragments of story that will be thrown here have something to do with the main story. You're not required to take it to understand the story but taking it will give you a better grasp of what is going on in the world and explaining why this and that happen.

NOTE:

*Branching Quests will be unlock if you finish a specific quest from the main story.
**Even though you have progress far enough in the main story to suppose to unlock the next branching quest it will not be unlock if you didn't finish the earlier branching quest.

And.......

I also found some bugs

-The new way I handle the class equipments ruined other systems concerning items. This is very major since the other two class can't equip items and the pyromancer can't equip accessory equips.
-Pyromancer's passive needs some reworking (see her Int in the first pic).
-There some more but I'm on phone right now and too lazy yo put them all.

Attachments

• DC SS - 1.jpg
    DC SS - 1.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DC SS - 2.jpg
    DC SS - 2.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DC SS - 3.jpg
    DC SS - 3.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DC SS - 4.jpg
    DC SS - 4.jpg