• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Darkness Call ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
211785-albums5888-picture84176.png

Changelog

DOWNLOAD HERE

Trivia:
Doodad Count (v 0.1.01) = 11005 with Pathing Blockers
being the most used with 2598 placed Path Blocks.
There are currently 7 Side Quests.

211785-albums5888-picture84173.png

Darkness Call is a Roleplaying Map for Warcraft 3 made to be play by three players.
Darkness Call isn't your typical ORPG as you and your friend will have two work
together on any quests you take and to progress the main storyline.

211785-albums5888-picture84174.png

-4 Difficulty Mode -4 Classes
-Custom Stat Upgrade System -Backpack System
-Challenging Creeps with Triggered Abilities -Abundant of Side Quests
-Beautiful Terrain -And Many More

-4 Difficulty

Darkness Call have 4 Difficulty:

"Easy" - 75% HP Handicap 50% XP Handicap
"Normal" - 100% HP Handicap 100% XP Handicap
"Hard" - 150% HP Handicap 150% XP Handicap 25% MS and AS 12% Damage
"Insane" - 225% HP 200% XP Handicap 50% MS and AS 18% Damage

This percentages will also adjust depending on the number of players to achieve the most possible balance

-4 Classes

Currently I'm only working on 4 classes which are:

Pyromancer - 100% Complete
Chemical Engineer - 100% Complete
Knight - 10% Complete (SoJ Class Only)
Crusader - 10% Complete

-Custom Stat Upgrade System

Darkness Call offers varieties of useful statistics that you can upgrade for your Hero.

-Damage
-Armor
-Evasion Rate
-Critical Rate
-Bash Rate
-Spell Resistance
-Movement Speed
-Health
-Stregnth
-Agility
-Intelligence

To upgrade any one of this statistics you must have a
Skill Point available that you can obtain by leveling
up that gives you 5 Skill Points and some Quests.

-Backpack System

A backpack that enables you to carry more items. Clicking any
item that your hero is carrying (except
potion types)will automatically be transfer the
item to your backpack and the other way around.
(The Transferring Option is currently disabled)

-Challenging Creeps with triggered abilities

Almost every creeps on Darkness Calls have their own triggered abilities that they use. Some creep types
have even two or more abilities. Unlike your Hero that have cooldowns on his/her skills. Creep's
abilities relies on chance to activate making the creeps very unpredictable.

-Abundant Side Quests

You can take Side Quests on the game while you are doing the main quest or do it if you want to
take a break on the story. Take note that some side quests may not be possible
to finish if you progressed too far on the main story.

-Beautiful Terrain

I worked countless of hours on making a very beautiful and unique terrain and atmosphere for Darkness
Call.

And many more!

211785-albums5888-picture84175.png

Screenshots  (1).jpg [c] Screenshots  (2).jpg [r] Screenshots  (4).jpg [c] Screenshots  (5).jpg [r]
Terrain (1).jpg [c] Terrain (3).jpg [r] Terrain (2).jpg [c] Terrain (4).jpg

More Screenshots(Outdated): Click to view Album

211785-albums5888-picture84177.png

This Early Alpha Release's purpose is for me to receive
some insight on other perspective about the map.

The map is made the way I wanted my RPG to be so some
people might not like it but I still hope to receive
feedback from the community as I am willing to accept
suggestions to improve the map.

I'm also very aware that there are many bugs, typos etc
that I didn't find out because of the
lack of testing session. I also haven't try the map if it actually
works on multiplayer so if some people out there can
confirm that the map works online and report bugs then I'll be really grateful!

Current Map Ends after Killing the "Troll Chieftain"!

I already worked more than two months and I really feel
that I need other people perspective on this.

Attachments

• Darkness Call 0.0.01.w3x
    4.3 MB · Views: 220
  • DC 0.2.02.w3x
    4.2 MB · Views: 697
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 28
Bump update! Version 0.0.01 -> 0.1.01

Download here: Click

Bug Fixes:
-Enabled the trigger for Player 2 and Player 3's backpack(I forgot too enable it XD).
-"Talk" option of Villagers should now show their right dialouge instead of the Soldiers Dialouge.
-Removed the Knight and the Crusader on the Hero Selection area since they're not playable yet.
-Player 2 and 3's Camera should now pan to the Starting Location after picking a hero.

Other:

Slots other than Player 1-3 should now be not playable.

Changes:
Heroes:
-Rebalance Pyromancer's spells.

Wall of Fire:
Deals Intelligence * 3.50 damage -> 2.20

Fireward:
Ward explosion deals Intelligegnce * 2.75 -> 2.00

Eruption:
Eruption deals Intelligence * 4.75 -> 2.00

Creeps:
-Gnoll Shaman Ability rebalaced:
Stun Duration 2 -> 1
AoE Damage 200 -> 250

New:
-4 new "Gloves" item type
-3 new "Accessory" item type
-Troll Chieftain should now cast his abilities

Level 28
Bump! Hotfix! 0.1.01 -> 0.1.02

Bug fixes:
-Creeps should stop doing weird things when you attack them.
-Remove Acid Grenade Buff Icon when upgrading "Movement Speed".
-Floating text of item healing ability when using potions will not show anymore.

New:
-Added "Critical Strike" to Adult Wolf and Wolf.
15% chance to deal [Current Health * 0.20] Damage.

Level 28
Bump! Hotfix! 0.1.02 -> 0.1.03

Bug Fixes:
-Fixed all the quest dialog.(For some reason they got cut on the previous versions)
-Camera should now pan to Player's Hero when they enter the mine.
-Bag will not interfere on buying items, using Interact, Talk, Quest Info and Accept Quest anymore.
-Remove silly "Test" message when entering the mine.

Changes:
-Add 1 Second Cooldown on "Talk" Option.

Note:

From version 0.1.03 onward the map is temporarily optimized meaning that you can't open it on the World Editor anymore. Reason is that I just find it weird to keep uploading an open source map that is still under Alpha.

I'm also removing version 0.1.01 and 0.1.02 because its eating too much space on the OP but I'm leaving version 0.0.01 intact just in-case someone wants to take a look inside the map and want to use some of the resources I used(just make sure to credit the appropriate creator of the resources).

Lastly, I'll be uploading more terrain screenshots later when I feel like it.

Level 28
Bump Update! 0.1.03 -> 0.2.01

Changelog: 0.2.01

New:

[MAIN QUEST ARC]
-Battle against the "Troll Chieftain" now have:
Dialouges
Events
and ending
Also orders you to return to Theo.

[ITEMS]
-Item bought from shop now have "Gray" color.
-Necromancer from the "Lost Necklace" Quest will now drop 1 of the following yellow item:
*Totem of the Wind
*Necromancer's Necklace
*Ancient Glove

[Items now have 5 level of uniqueness]
Gray = Simple
Yellow = Unique
Green = Rare
Red = Legendary
Blue = SoJ's Favorite

Bug Fixes:

-Fix "Gnolling in my Sking" dialouge.
-Bagpack should now stop interfering on some Quest Dialouges
-Remove a gameplay message when choosing a Class

New Screenshots that I'll put on the OP

Screenshots  (6).jpg
Screenshots  (7).jpg
Screenshots  (8).jpg Screenshots  (9).jpg

Level 28
Bump! Hotfix! 0.2.01 -> 0.2.02

New:
-Gives Necromancer(Lost Necklace Side Quest) a custom ability "Lightning Purge"

Bug Fixes:
-All Gold Drops and Health Orb should be pick up automatically.
-Troll Chieftain should not attack you anymore after defeating him.
-Assassin's model should now be the appropriate one and not the Troll Chieftain's model.
-Fixed some terrain pathing.

Changes:
Abilities:
-Change Casting Effect of Engineer's Bomb Rain.
-Removed Blood Effect on Gnoll Shaman's "Hand of Death" ability
hoping to remove uneccessary lag.
-Also remove all the Camera Shaking on creep's spells.

Items:
-Lowers the Price of "Lamp" from 250 -> 150

Level 28
Awww, you're making me blush.

Anyway, next update will probably gonna take quite a while as I'm gonna start working on the main and side quests, enemy etc. for the next area. Next update should also contain the third class which is the "Crusader".

I'm also currently making my own Exp Gain System so that I can have more control on Exp Gains and to make balancing much easier.

Also I'll start to implement a Save/Load system for the next version.

Also if you have played the map you probably notice a temple like terrain just South East of the map and wondering what it is for. It is called "Grind Dungeon".

This is a special feature of Darkness Call, "Grind Dungeons" are dungeons where you can grind for money against tough creeps and rare items from dungeon Bosses. Creeps inside this dungeon doesn't give xp but the golds and item rewards should be worth the effort. After finishing the Boss every player will be teleported outside the dungeon after 15 seconds. Grind Dungeons can be reset using the "Reset" option on its "Circle of Power".

Basically, "Grind Dungeon" doesn't really serve any purpose on the main story and isn't really needed to be explored to finish the game. But the rare items and gold to buy gears and potions will be worth the trip. Its also recommended only if your hero's level is high and is probably not doable alone. (And I want it to be a challenge for Players to defeat a Grind Dungeon Boss on Insane Mode :D).

There are many more stuffs that will be implemented for the next version but this should be the important ones.

What a coincidence. I happened to be playing around in his map and found this

XD, the map is filled with references and there will be more on the next updates especially on the NPCs dialogues. Thanks for trying it out. :)

EDIT:

I just wanna say that I think its really worth that I focused on the terrain and made a huge ground before I started making contents. It makes almost everything so easy because the area where I have to put the quests, enemies etc are already made and its making the progress really smooth. Other mappers should practice that.

EDIT 2:

Oh mha ghad, my first two comments after like 5 updates. XD

EDIT 3:

I just noticed that there is still that game text message that says the class is creator only that I thought I already fixed on version 0.2.01. Crap. I'm not gonna release a hotfix for that so deal with it for now.

Last edited:
Level 13
I played the latest version with the pyromancer and in easy mode and I have to say it is a beauty.
Truly I can see your design which is represented in your dozens of unfinished projects :p

Here are some of my points:

- It would be nice to have a version number in the map name because I also had an earlier map version and I had to delete the old one before I could find the latest one.
- If I didn't had a quest log for the first quest I wouldn't know what to do because I accepted the quest before talking to the unit. Maybe you could add a mechanic where it checks if the player had talked to the quest giver and display the quest text then if he did not talk him or you simply enable the talk button after accepting a quest.
- The hero should not revive at the place he or she died because it is a high chance to die again then :D
- It would be nice to have some kind of out of combat regeneration bonus, because I did not want to spend my gold for potions I had to wait a little bit. I am talking about a few seconds but it took still some dynamic away.
- It would be also nice to have an overview of stats like in IDD
iid_sys01.jpg

- For me the gameplay came to an end when I wanted to enter the mine. Whenever I activated the button which should teleport me into the mine, the camera just pans into the mine without the hero. I don't know if this is intended.

All in all, your latest project has great potential and I hope you finish it!

Level 28
I played the latest version with the pyromancer and in easy mode and I have to say it is a beauty.
Truly I can see your design which is represented in your dozens of unfinished projects :p

Thanks! Although I understand what you said on the last part. It still sounds like a sarcasm to me. xD (Damn my faithfulness on finishing my projects)

- It would be nice to have a version number in the map name because I also had an earlier map version and I had to delete the old one before I could find the latest one.

Ah yeah, I usually test my map straight from the editor so I totally forgot about how annoying this one. Will do this for the future updates.

- If I didn't had a quest log for the first quest I wouldn't know what to do because I accepted the quest before talking to the unit. Maybe you could add a mechanic where it checks if the player had talked to the quest giver and display the quest text then if he did not talk him or you simply enable the talk button after accepting a quest.

The former will just add more ite blocks so I'll just do the latter.

- The hero should not revive at the place he or she died because it is a high chance to die again then :D

You're invulnerable for a couple of seconds but I'll put it on my to do list to revive Heroes in the nearest town when they die.

- It would be nice to have some kind of out of combat regeneration bonus, because I did not want to spend my gold for potions I had to wait a little bit. I am talking about a few seconds but it took still some dynamic away.

Is the Health Orb not enough? They have a high chance to drop (33%) I'll take that into consideration though. Pyromancer is really too fragile to solo. xD

- It would be also nice to have an overview of stats like in IDD

I dunno if I can pull this one right now but maybe in the future because I'm currently progressing on my studies on vJass.

- For me the gameplay came to an end when I wanted to enter the mine. Whenever I activated the button which should teleport me into the mine, the camera just pans into the mine without the hero. I don't know if this is intended.

Now this need a Hotfix, this doesn't happens on the unoptimized version so I'll be looking on my triggers again to find what is causing this although I think I have a vague idea.

Thanks for the feedback!

All in all, your latest project has great potential and I hope you finish it!

Thanks!

Level 14
EDIT:

I just wanna say that I think its really worth that I focused on the terrain and made a huge ground before I started making contents. It makes almost everything so easy because the area where I have to put the quests, enemies etc are already made and its making the progress really smooth. Other mappers should practice that.

This is the same way I do it. I have a basic idea and story in mind, but I get a lot of my inspiration from making terrain and expanding on some idea I had in my mind. Side quests just sort of develop automatically by adjusting them to fit the terrain I made.

Anyways, your Alpha is a good start. I played the engineer. He seemed to lose health pretty quickly, but I was also playing alone so that is always more difficult.

I ran into a couple problems, however. Everytime I used his power slam (or something like that) ability it would lag pretty hard. I wonder if it has something to do with the knockback. Another problem was when I entered the mine near the wolves I couldn't get back out. While in the mine I tried interacting with the lever near the elevator and it didn't do anything and after clearing it and trying to leave the camera went to the entrance, but my hero stayed where he was. I don't know if interacting with the lever caused some sort of problem, but you could look into it. EDIT: I just saw that bhusta had a similar problem (maybe I should read the thread lol)

The last thing is pretty minor. I just noticed that every tooltip for obtaining a quest says the same thing about the necklace in the eastern temple. I'm sure these are all problems that aren't that serious especially for an alpha.

I'll play it again soon and answer the questions you had in your visitor message.

Keep up the good work mate!

Level 28
Anyways, your Alpha is a good start. I played the engineer. He seemed to lose health pretty quickly, but I was also playing alone so that is always more difficult.

I actually have in my mind that the most solo-able mode is Easy. I finished it with my engineer right up to the Troll Chieftain within 26 minutes without dying. I think I need to scale down the Difficulty specially the Insane mode because its practically not possible if you're alone. Although I need to see how three players will do with that mode first.

I ran into a couple problems, however. Everytime I used his power slam (or something like that) ability it would lag pretty hard. I wonder if it has something to do with the knockback.

It should be fix for the next version. Its not really the knockback, I was just experimenting something and it didn't really work well.

Another problem was when I entered the mine near the wolves I couldn't get back out. While in the mine I tried interacting with the lever near the elevator and it didn't do anything and after clearing it and trying to leave the camera went to the entrance, but my hero stayed where he was.

I actually thought that I already fixed this one. Its just the silly bagpack is the one buying the "Interact" item and is the one being transported on the area. I thought I solved this when I made the not visible "Select Hero" to not target any ancient unit but for some reason its still doing it.

The last thing is pretty minor. I just noticed that every tooltip for obtaining a quest says the same thing about the necklace in the eastern temple.

Can you tell me more about this? Its not happening to me. D:

I'll play it again soon and answer the questions you had in your visitor message.

Keep up the good work mate!

Have fun while testing it and thanks for the feedback!

I'll release a hotfix tonight or tomorrow morning addressing the Interact problem because there is still more stuffs that you'll do before finishing the current version. D:

Level 6
Overall, it's ok, but i found some bug with items, I chose pyromancer and I tried to play for a while, Shaman's Glove +strength instead of intelligence(the description written adds intelligence) and pyromancer can't equip Necomancer's Necklace, this shouldn't be

Level 28
Bump. Project is not dead yet. Although the Project did slow down this couple of weeks because:

Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legend
and...
Dark Souls 2.

Anyway, some stuffs that I did finish for the next version that will probably still take a while since I'm still not done playing those two games are:

Good chunks of new side quests and main quests
New XP system (I'm thinking of uploading it on the Spell Section)
Expanded the terrain
and a lot of items ( new stuffs for the next area, changes, balances etc.)

Welp, a screen cap of a new area. I'm trying to pull of a Resident Evil 4(the village part) feeling here.

screencap 1.jpg

Anyway, I'll still be inactive in the forum but that doesn't mean that I'm not working on the project.

I chose pyromancer and I tried to play for a while, Shaman's Glove +strength instead of intelligence(the description written adds intelligence) and pyromancer can't equip Necomancer's Necklace, this shouldn't be

I'm not fully aware if I fixed this on the current uploaded version or on the current progress of the map that I have but either way it is equipable for the next version.

Level 13
Looks very nice!
I will playtest this with 2 friends in our weekly gaming evening.

If you are afraid of running into a project that might not get finished, I give you the advice to reduce map size and content. IMHO it's better to have a smaller project that is finished, than a huge project that won't ever get finished. And if the smaller one works fine, you could of course easily expand things later... but I'm just judging from screens showing so much empty terrain.. ;)

Level 28
While I like the terrain on that screenshots, those movement icons doesn't suit in my opinion.

Hmm, I actually like those icons but I do admit that they do looks a little out of place on the overall look of the map.

I will playtest this with 2 friends in our weekly gaming evening.

Its barely playable but I haven't receive any multiplayer feedback yet so I'll say go ahead and try it. *Grabs a sheet and hide*

but I'm just judging from screens showing so much empty terrain.. ;)

Empty terrain? You mean the latest Screencap that I posted? Don't worry cause the other finished areas is as detailed as they can be. :D

I hope you can at least patch the mine teleport bug. Because now the gameplay is a little bit short. I mean like 5 min short.

You're right, there is a noob fix here where I give the circle of powers/doors the "Select Hero" skill and you just use it to your hero if the camera is panning on other areas but not teleporting your hero(the bagpack is the one who is buying the interact item that is why it is the one being teleported).

Level 13
Empty terrain? You mean the latest Screencap that I posted? Don't worry cause the other finished areas is as detailed as they can be. :D

No, the terrain on the screens you've posted looks fine.
What I meant with empty terrain is what I can see on the minimap; looks like about only 15 -20% of the map terrain is finished and all other spaces are still blank. ;)

I know this is on an early stage though.. just take my point as a general advice as there are much projects being abandoned because people just take on too much ..

Level 30
JayJay, you didn't tell me that you have a project, lol.

Anyway, I must say that I like your RPG very much but got stuck sadly. I can't enter the mine (same issue with bhusa), the camera pans to the mine without the hero being in the mine. You also have a typo (I guess) in the loading screen still showing v 0.2.0.1 instead of 0.2.0.2. You could also add two more types of camera/camera angle here, one being the locked camera and one the default angle for Warcraft. It gives the player the power to change camera/camera angle to his/her liking. I also have noticed that I can't sell items (unless I'm being mistaken here and there is a way of selling the items), it's hard selling my items to the merchant because it always drops near of it (probably, small selection scale and such.). There could be some little cinematics also running when taking Main quests.

As for your game's advantages, I would start off with the terrain. I like it and as always, you're the man in this field. I really liked this dark environment you made and the way of using torches in your travel as light source. The stat system works like a charm, I can customize my character to my liking and to others' as well. Creeps and bosses are worth fighting seeing that there are times that groups of creeps poses a threat (and damn, I was near on dying at that Necromancer but good thing, I survived and killed it before I got killed. Anyway, you could have also added a Raise Dead ability for the Necromancer to make him much harder to battle unless he already has but I did not see him use it).

I think that's it for now, I do hope you fix the bug regarding on entering the mine. By the way, I'm playing as an Engineer in the game.

Level 28
It's just a start so far. Notice: some doodads don't have minimap icons, that's why they don't appear (just some). Anyway, looking forward to it jayjay.

I think he meant that almost like 70-80% of the terrain so far is just water. Actually, I just expanded the map's terrain so I have enough space to work around and to test some terrain techniques.

@HellMaster

About the camera, what I actually planned here is to have fix camera angle for every area and it just adjust when you move to another area but abandoned it because of the scale of the map.

I haven't given the players the option to sell their items since it still just the earlier stage of the map.

you could have also added a Raise Dead ability for the Necromancer

That will actually make it a little OP specially inside the *Eastern Temple since its just a normal creep there.

*One of the 'Grind Dungeon' that will be available in the future

I do hope you fix the bug regarding on entering the mine.

I already have a noob fix for that but haven't uploaded it yet.(Blame my crappy upload speed)

Anyway, thanks for the nice comment.

About the camera, what I actually planned here is to have fix camera angle for every area and it just adjust when you move to another area but abandoned it because of the scale of the map.

I haven't given the players the option to sell their items since it still just the earlier stage of the map.
just like in TLG campaign of OutsiderXE, great idea jayjay. Keep pumping updates and I shall like you more xD

Level 28
just like in TLG campaign of OutsiderXE, great idea jayjay. Keep pumping updates and I shall like you more xD

If you're talking about the camera, I also said on the post that I abandoned it because there will be too many areas on the map and it will just add more pointless work for me when I can just add a camera where you can zoom in and out by using your scroll on your mouse.

About the updates, hmm not much although I did progress a little on the main quest yesterday.

Level 28
Bump! New stuff for the up-coming version 0.03.00!

New Quest Log system. I decided it when me and DBZ is talking about the project yesterday and thought that the project can really use a better Quest Log system since the Main and Side quests are all clog up on War3's Main Quest area since the Optional one are in use for Map Details.

Welp. Here it is!

Quest still undiscovered:
Quest Log (1).jpg

Quest Accepted:
Quest Log (2).jpg

Quest finished:
Quest Log (3).jpg

Things to add on the system:

• Quest Area:
  • Quest Reward:
  • Make a border between Main and Side quests.

Level 3
I played your map until I ran out of lives, and really enjoyed myself doing so. The map has a great feel to it and it only took me a minute or two to figure out what was happening(which is rare in rpg maps tbh).

A few things about the map did catch my eye however.

The Backpack/Skill point shop - Is this unit supposed to have a healthbar? Not that it matters, just looks weird, and since it is a hero unit and can be selected in top left corner, it might aswell be placed in some desolate corner of the map, rather than following the hero. But that's a matter of taste I guess :)

For some reason, when accepting a quest, they all say "Bring back the necklace that I dropped in the Eastern Temple". Don't know if this is a mistake, or if you are waiting with that stuff until the end, but it caught my attention :) Quest log has correct info anywho, so wasn't that big of a deal.

The quest from "Wife" that is available at level 1, can be accepted multiple times filling up your quest log.

Noticed a mispelling, no biggie but thought you might wanted to know. Right after entering the mine, you can ask the Chief Engineer why he looks like the one on the hero selection area. His response will be "bla bla bla *Couch*". Cough-Couch :)

"The Artifact" Quest Completed. Rewards: 250 gold, 50 XP, 1 skill point. I didn't get the skill point.

Nothing happens when I interact with the Elevator Lever inside the mine.

The gold dropped on the ground is badass! Very nice touch imo.

I like how you respawn on the spot where you died. Could become annoying to run back and forth if you spawned in the nearest town, due to the fact that movespeed is quite slow in the map, even with 10/10 movespeed upgrades.
If you decide to change this, then you should consider making checkpoints so you respawn close to where you died :)

The terrain is amazing. Pretty much everything in the map looks great, but I really think the terrain is astonishing.

I tried the game as a pyromancer, and the spells look very cool.
Fireball seems a bit underwhelming however, when compared to fire ward and eruption :)

Made it to the troll chieftan part, but ran out of lives.
The map seems pretty user friendly, and very entertaining. But why only 3 players? I think you should consider making it playable for more players. Would definately try it with some buddies if you did :)

I just noticed that there is still that game text message that says the class is creator only that I thought I already fixed on version 0.2.01. Crap. I'm not gonna release a hotfix for that so deal with it for now.

This is still there, in case you forgot :)

Anyway, thats my 2 cents. I hope it's usefull :)
Good Luck with the map, will follow :)

Level 28
@shaMewalkeR

Thanks for saying your thoughts man. Really appreciates it. You're probably the first one who got it on the TrollChieftain so congrats on that!

Anyway, to answer some of the stuffs you posted.

The map has a great feel to it and it only took me a minute or two to figure out what was happening(which is rare in rpg maps tbh).

Glad that you appreciates that. I'm really working hard to make the map as easy to learn as possible. As an aspiring designer, this is really a must.

The Backpack/Skill point shop - Is this unit supposed to have a healthbar? Not that it matters, just looks weird, and since it is a hero unit and can be selected in top left corner, it might aswell be placed in some desolate corner of the map, rather than following the hero. But that's a matter of taste I guess :)

The reason why it follows you is because that is the easiest way to make the bagpack system. I'll consider putting the bagpack somewhere but I think it shouldn't give any trouble on its current state.

For some reason, when accepting a quest, they all say "Bring back the necklace that I dropped in the Eastern Temple". Don't know if this is a mistake, or if you are waiting with that stuff until the end, but it caught my attention :) Quest log has correct info anywho, so wasn't that big of a deal.

Well now that is weird. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't say like that because I played and finished the map numerous time now. If you accepted a quest it should say "You have accepted a quest!"

I haven't played the optimized versions though.

The quest from "Wife" that is available at level 1, can be accepted multiple times filling up your quest log.

Yeah, I made a mistake on the trigger. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Noticed a mispelling, no biggie but thought you might wanted to know. Right after entering the mine, you can ask the Chief Engineer why he looks like the one on the hero selection area. His response will be "bla bla bla *Couch*". Cough-Couch :)

Nice find :D. Someone actually cares about the dialogue? :)

"The Artifact" Quest Completed. Rewards: 250 gold, 50 XP, 1 skill point. I didn't get the skill point.

Fixed.

Nothing happens when I interact with the Elevator Lever inside the mine.

The area for that isn't done yet on the current uploaded version.

The gold dropped on the ground is badass! Very nice touch imo.

Thanks.

I like how you respawn on the spot where you died. Could become annoying to run back and forth if you spawned in the nearest town, due to the fact that movespeed is quite slow in the map, even with 10/10 movespeed upgrades.
If you decide to change this, then you should consider making checkpoints so you respawn close to where you died :)

Me and my friend who also helps on the map also prefer the current respawn system. I need more thoughts on this though. I made a respawn system before where you can choose to respawn on this area by using a "Save Respawn Point" ability available from a passive unit on that area.

The terrain is amazing. Pretty much everything in the map looks great, but I really think the terrain is astonishing.

The terrain progressed quite a lot since I last posted here. I'm pretty sure the new areas won't disappoint anyone.

I tried the game as a pyromancer, and the spells look very cool.
Fireball seems a bit underwhelming however, when compared to fire ward and eruption :)

I'm actually reworking the Pyromancer's skill set. The current skill set is too focused on damage and the spells doesn't even have much synergy with one another.

Made it to the troll chieftan part, but ran out of lives.

You're the first one other than me so don't be down. ;D

The map seems pretty user friendly, and very entertaining. But why only 3 players? I think you should consider making it playable for more players. Would definately try it with some buddies if you did :)

The map is actually only for 2 players when I first developed it but I thought it lacks a little team play so I added another player. The reason why I'm limiting the number to a small amount is that I'm not really leaning for this map to be hosted on bnet or something. Its just a map for me and some friends to play. Although adding more players isn't really a problem because the difficulty system adjusts to the number of players so adding players doesn't cause balance issue.

This is still there, in case you forgot :)

Really? Damn.

I know I haven't posted anything for a couple of months now but that doesn't mean I haven't done anything.

Current priority progress list:

-Part 3 of the main quest is almost done.
-Already have written some new side quests.
-Finally decided the final structure of the Custom XP system. I made four system with different structure but finally opted to the much more simpler one.
-Almost done with the first Grind Dungeon.
-Enemies for the next areas are now complete although I need to finish a couple more new abilities for some of them.

What I'm aiming for version 0.3.0 are:

-Complete the other two class.
-Open the southern area for the mine.(There is a major branching quest right there).
-Open the first "Grind Dungeon".
-and the stuffs above.

I posted a full screen quest log system before. Its 100% working but I'm not gonna include it on the next version yet. I never really heard any opinion about it so I'm not really sure if its really worth it. The system is done but putting the content there is a little too much of a work for a busy guy like me.

Level 28
The map will have a save/load system in the future because there is a plan for advance class later down the road. Thanks.

Glad to see you are continuing to make progress on this one.

The progress didn't really stop at any point. Its just slow atm.

I'll have to try it again once 0.3.0 is out

And hopefully we can play it together.

Level 3
Well now that is weird. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't say like that because I played and finished the map numerous time now. If you accepted a quest it should say "You have accepted a quest!"

I haven't played the optimized versions though.

Yeah yeah, it does. But the "Accept Quest" Tooltip is the same for all quests. Sorry for my horrible explanation :)

EDIT: Or atleast it was. Don't know if you updated it since :)

Last edited:
Level 28
Yeah yeah, it does. But the "Accept Quest" Tooltip is the same for all quests. Sorry for my horrible explanation :)

EDIT: Or atleast it was. Don't know if you updated it since :)

Crap. I totally forgot about this one. I'll probably just gonna change it to "accept quest" for now and work on it again later. There are more important stuffs to do than that right now.

Anyway. I think I'm really not giving this thread and the followers some love. I'm not really one to post quests screenshots since they usually ends up spoiling some stuffs but I guess this one will not hurt cuz...

Screenshots  (10).jpg

Someone asked you to fish ;D. Its part of the main quest on Act 1 - Part 3. Its kinda funny and I really love this non-fighting quest.
This quest also introduce a new game mechanic which is, well, fishing.

Needs Player's thoughts on this one.

I changed the way potion works for Darkness Call. Instead of the typical:

Potion X = Heals 100HP

I changed it to

Potion X = Heals x% of Hero's current HP. Same goes to potion that replenish mana.

Reason:

There are two reason why I changed it like this.

1.) Darkness Call is a hard RPG game and I want it to become more harder while still being do-able and solo-able. This new potion formula makes player decision to when to (not) use their potions much much more valuable and crucial.

To compensate this I made health orb drop much higher and this also plays a lot of factor on when to use your potions.

2.) Since potions will heal base on health percentage enabling it to scale reasonably on late game which means I only need to make very few potion items. Less work in short.

Some other stuffs that I think worth mentioning.

-I reworked the Item Class Restriction system. The system now automatically register the item base on its Class (artifact, charge, etc.) compared to the old one where it required to be manually registered on the item which is really a pain because the trigger is so long which slows down the editor.
-Crusader isn't part of the Class anymore. On its replacement is the very interesting and versatile support-tank "the Vile". More info about this class will be posted here whenever I feel like it.

Level 28
Just some utterly random post from yours truly just to indicate that Darkness Call is not, in any possible kind of thinking, dead, abandoned or whatsoever.

Anyway just some sneak peak of some of the new areas (won't be playable on the next version since the progress of the terrain is so far ahead of the storyline). I'm currently using some new rocks/cliffs and a new tree for this terrain just to keep everything fresh for your eyes and of course for my motivation of terraining the project. I think the new rocks/cliffs doesn't really clash with the rocks/cliffs of the previous areas although I still can't seem to find a way to blend them together. What do you guys think(if there is actually someone who cares about Darkness Call)?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

EDIT:

Crap, I uploaded the old pics for image 1 and 2. Oh welp. Just deal with it, the only difference are some fog and light effects and a few more plants and flowers.

EDIT 2:

Might also inform you guys that the game now have creep respawn system. Creep respawn varies through difficulty.

Question about the Creep Respawn System

Should I add a level cap differential to avoid exploit?

Like when you're 5 levels above the creep then you won't gain exp?

Level 13
Edit: ups, I've red your post half-heartedly, sonofjay.
I thought you said that you would just set a level cap for a region. So the following stuff does not really fit :D
---
a level cap would make sense.
Or you go the other way, giving less exp from lower lvl enemies which you continue until a hero gets 0 exp for too low enemies. For example:

same level = 100%
-1 level = 60%
-2 level = 30%
-3 level = 10%
-4 level = 4%
-5 level = 0%

A static level cap would mean you have to set a max level for each region.
My suggestion would mean that a level cap happens automatically. Both versions have their pros and cons.

Static cap Pros:
- you directly set the cap

Static cap Drawbacks:
- the hero could level pretty fast to the certain cap and then it feels like you are cut off
- one could farm "lower" units and could still go to the cap

Dropping exp Pros:
- Leveling to the cap feels more natural
- no real going back to lower regions bcauese of farming units
- one can stay with lower numbers, because one does not have to increase the overall exp to get a level up. It just gets harder to level up.

Dropping exp Drawbacks:
- you indirectly set the cap

Level 12
A very interesting project . Also do you need some spells ideas ? maybe i can help you

Level 3
This looks interesting. :D

Probably gonna test it after save/load is implemented though(Haven't download the map yet, so idk if it is implemented yet). There's no point in playing something knowing that you have to redo everything again unless there's some kind of rewards in doing so imo. :p

Liking the terrain from your screenshots though. Promising! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.