• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Close Together

What do you think about Close Together?

• Awesome, I'll surely continue checking it out!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Interesting, I'll probably check it out in the future.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I don't really know yet, looking forward to see more.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not interested. Another survival map...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Close Together
By Remixer

Introduction:
Close Together is a survival map for two players. Each player controls their character and try to keep the 'vital meters' up and eventually complete the map. In addition to vital meters there are also 'additional meters' that players can choose to work on or completely ignore them. In order to advance players must gather resources while keeping eye on their vital meters. With the resources gathered and harvested players can then craft various items and build structures.

Story:
Two peons (players' character units) are stuck on an abandoned isle after their shipwreck. They are desperate but willing to survive. There's not too much hope - the ship has broken into pieces. There's not too much options, but they must leave the island since the island's volcano seems to be close to eruption. But how are you going to leave?

Vital Meters:
There are currently three vital meters: energy, companion and hunger. Vital meters are displayed are resources (gold, lumber, food) to help the player keep an eye on them. Each meter have their own purpose and mechanics. For example in order to keep the 'Companion Meter' high you need to simply stay Close Together.

Neglecting vital meters will eventually result in a death of your character and therefor a defeat. Keeping a certain meter high is surely easy, but keeping all three meters optimal can be rather hard.

Additional Meters:
Close Together also contains additional meters that are invisible to the players. The purpose of these meters are to increase the depth of the game and make the mechanics more interesting. Of course, one of the outcomes of the additional meters is also more realistic gameplay.

It's not yet decided what additional meters will contain but they will play role in the map. For example staying in water for too long or wearing wet clothes will surely have consequences.

Crafting System:
Crafting plays a huge role in Close Together - without crafting you won't make progress and you won't get off the island. Crafting is done via a crafting menu where players can select the item(s) they wish to craft. Needless to say, crafting also requires materials, such as leather, timber and so on. Additionally various tools are also required. Unlike materials, tools are not consumed in the crafting progress.

Close Together also includes crafting not only via the crafting menu but other kind of crafting as well. Players can use some items on each other and then in crafting as a material or a resource to create more and more complex structures and equipment. Structures and equipment offer you new ways of crafting or boost your stats or make your other actions more efficient.

Materials are gathered in different ways, timber can be obtained by chopping down trees, various rock types are obtained from mining and different kind of herbs and plants can be found around the isle.

Staying Close Together:
Close Together offers you and your friend a great chance to enjoy playing Warcraft III. Explore the map (even though it's not large), there is a lot to discover. Harvest, craft - survive. And ultimately... escape... danger surely lurks in the shadows.

Stay tuned and remember to comment.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Everything is amazing and interesting. I'm looking forward to this. But one question I have in mind. Will this map be playable in singleplayer?

Well my original idea was that it wouldn't be but I can't see any reasons why it couldn't be. All the systems should work for just one player as well.

Except the vital meters, haha. Probably it gets a lot more messy if played alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.