• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Shooting / FPS] Choplifter 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
The saga continues...
d8a5f969-2d0a-4c62-b85c-17f35015b575_zps46b74c34.jpg
3D

Based on the game for Apple IIc.

Preview Video

Triggers

Unexpected tab 3

Icemanbo has been working with me and has really added a
lot to the movement system. The up arrow now makes the chopper tilt forward and begin moving,
it will gain speed until it reaches its maximum speed. When the up arrow is released the chopper
will regain its flat flying posture and slow to a stop. The left and right arrows control the tail rudder
blades and make the chopper pivot. The [w][a][d][x] keys control lift and decent. [w] for up and
[x] for down. There are also corresponding spells and ability icons explaining this so you can use the
mouse rather than having two hands on the keys. The left and right ability arrows control what I call
the strafe action which is a sideways motion, the chopper banks to the side and hovers sideways
facing forward. A camera angle selector has been added which will switch the camera between three
preset positions, above, behind and 1st person.

[tab=Screenshot]

22ed476c-0b8f-425f-997b-87353ba4fddc_zps3a2a8a32.jpg

[/tab]

[tab=The Saga]

[/tab]

[tab=Models]
Using models from the Hive like these:
models_4635_screenshot_tnb.jpg
models_4437_screenshot_tnb.jpg
by Kofi Bananby Illidan(Evil)X
[/tab]

[tab=Mission]

In Choplifter, the player assumes the role of a combat helicopter pilot.
The player attempts to save hostages being held in prisoner of war camps in territory ruled by the evil
Bungeling Empire. The player must collect the hostages and transport them safely to the
nearby friendly base, all the while fighting off hostile tanks and other enemy combatants.
According to the backstory, the helicopter parts were smuggled into the country described
as "mail sorting equipment."
[/tab]

[tab=Flight System]
Flight System

I have created a GUI flight system that allows lift. The fuel system causes the chopper to
crash when it runs out of fuel. The chopper can refuel at the base. There are also now 3 lives,
so be careful there is no infinite revive like Wc3.

[/tab]

*** Progress Updates ***

#1: A few models imported and UI added. Flight System works but still in the early stages of development. Added custom radar in-game mini-map backgroup.

#2: New models, chopper sound, movie added!

#3: Added original resource icons, custom command buttons and fuel system. Hostage rescue system starting to take form but not complete.

#4: Added quest log, death upon running empty, quest messages, original custom cursor and missile BTN.

#5: Finished Hostage pick up/drop off systems, fuel system, revive chopper/3 lives now in place. Tooltips for fuel, hostages and lives added. Improved balance to AA guns. Much polishing still needed but its starting to take shape.

#6: Added loading screen and preview screen. New menu names and colors, new inventory added (missiles and spare fuel tank coming soon). Added repair mechanic who auto repairs (for free) when you land at your base. New camera angle and new enemy tank. New unit information window icons, tooltips and stats. Resized most models and balanced Hp and damage.

#7: Flight system smoothed out (Thanks Doomlord!), camera angles fixed to keep terrain rendering in full view, mechanic runs out and fuel truck delivers fuel when chopper lands at heli-pad, refueling sounds added, added tiles and new (not that they will stay, still waiting on official terrain), crash event added where chopper collides with ground at speed or with cliff.

#8: New music! New custom original AOE selection circle. Warning sounds for low fuel and critical damage added. Explosions now appear as chopper takes damage. Unit can flee - false. Fixed projectile launch point. Adjusted sizes and speeds. Its starting to look real nice but I still need more testers.

#9: New items, you'll have to check and see for yourself, but I'll give you one - hellfire missiles added. New jet fighter added but AI still being a pain. New camps with hostages. Item table started.

#10: Four new sectors. Level system added. 4 levels with 4 missions each. New items. Defensive AI for the Cobra added. Terrain greatly expanded. UI changed to look more modern and industrial. New models added, new semantic item models. Triggers greatly improved, thanks to Icemenbo. Flight system now uses a momentum factor causing the chopper to accelerate evenly and slow to a stop after the accelerator is released. Many new rockets, models and effects added, see it for yourself!

#11: New terrain added, chopper tilts left right and forward with movement. Level 1 nearly complete.

(5.9 MB, ??? Downloads)

Last edited:
reserved the spot

interesting, i was thinking, it can be pvp, many users have to compite to rescue the hostage, and the player who does it more, wins, pvp always has fun, could be free for all or team copetition

I was thinking this too, but maybe more like, there are a set number of hostages and the first to collect them all wins.

I don't think I want to make it too many players because it would make more GUI work for me. Unless someone wants to help me make an MUI flight system, I think I'm limited to C&P for each player (non-MUI).

Did you fly the chopper?

nah of course, maybe 4 players will be ok

and for the helicopters maybe a multi weapon system such as:

sniper on board
machine gun or gatling gun
napalm bomb
rocket misile lauchers

what do you think?

Play Choplifter III. I want to make it like this. So machine guns and missiles. I want to make a fuel system and possible gun and missile upgrades.

You never said if you tried the map. Did you try it? For now, I want to develop and really smooth flight system. I think the one I have is ok, but needs to be improved. I just realized, a helicopter can move side to side and backwards, I should figure out how to do that. I think I saw a movement system like that once.

Sorry for the delay but too much schools and events occupied me but surely later I can make it and maybe can release here a terrain. Hope you understand Legal! =)

No rush. I've got a skin project to so, I'm moving slowly. I updated THR - AoS too, so I haven't put much work in on this yet.

Looks interesting! I'm going to test this when i'm free from school.

Its only a system and a few doodads right now. H_M is working on the terrain. Please feel free to play it and give comments. I'm looking for thoughts on flight angles and turning, etc. Can't decide if the chopper should turn side to side with the arrows or not. Also, if anyone know about a movements system that allows side to side and backwards movement without turning, that would be great.

Level 30
Ok, made a little progress finally and this is the result. Just 1 screenie. Thats the only spot I see fitting to take one. Legal sended me a PM that the game will take place in the jungle.

The terrain is still subjected to change and is still in the earliest state.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 286
Level 4
Tried it, please edit it's 5.1 mb now x3

Very good system, but you need more description to explain them at the start :3

Chopper still can move and change a little bit facing angle, shoot missile when on ground.

Hard to aim my target with my skill, maybe change to angle of attack able to see my target while i'm under attack?

Haven't tested it yet, but for the left/right thing, you could show the copter's walk animation and move it left or right a short bit (Left: 180, Right: 360(I think))

Take it for a spin already :)
Ya, ya, I know how to make a sideways movement but problem is that it stops the forward movement. I think your idea is great and very important in any helicopter game. Can you write a trigger for that? It needs to straffe side-to-side without stopping forward or up/down motion.

I've seen a really nice JASS key movement system that used combined arrows to move on angles and had a nice jump, but thats a bit beyond me.

Anyone can we get some help? thoughts? tutorials?

Tried it, please edit it's 5.1 mb now x3

Very good system, but you need more description to explain them at the start :3

Chopper still can move and change a little bit facing angle, shoot missile when on ground.

Hard to aim my target with my skill, maybe change to angle of attack able to see my target while i'm under attack?

Great idea. I was think of adding a more advanced camera system where the user can adjust it manually using an ability - for example: up and down arrow icons could bring the camera in and out; also, a camera button could reset to default. What do you think?
I could even have them hot-keyed for:
[W]
[A]
[Z]

or something.

Last edited:
It is a good project, the helicopter should move a bit better though. Like tilting towards the directions it moves towards.

Want me to make a better movement system or rather one that you could toggle too?
Not many people are fans of arrow key movement or well I haven't heard the news otherwise.

I started a bit on it because I was curious. I might finish the edit if you want it otherwise I will just delete/throw it away.

It is a good project, the helicopter should move a bit better though. Like tilting towards the directions it moves towards.

Want me to make a better movement system or rather one that you could toggle too?
Not many people are fans of arrow key movement or well I haven't heard the news otherwise.

I started a bit on it because I was curious. I might finish the edit if you want it otherwise I will just delete/throw it away.

Sorry I haven't updated this recently. I have had Icemanbo helping me and we currently have the chopper litling forward and side to side. I will upload the update. If you still think it can be improved by all means let me know, send me a system. I really appreciate your offer to help and interest in this game. Please feel free to private message me or post more comments here.

Subscribed for future update, this looks like a great map :O

PM me if you want to see the latest. I added cinematic and there are not 3 levels. I'm not sure I will ever be able to finish it, but you are welcome to the latest update. Also, you should tell me if you think I should just post it to the Maps forum. The triggers are finished and its 99% bug free. I just don't think I will finish level 3 and I don't have anything for level 4 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.