• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

BeasTD alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
About BeasTD:
Players: up to 10, singleplayer will be difficult
It is a new style of tower defense. This isn't your usual 'mass build' or 'saving for...' tower defense. You start with one tower and all your next available towers improve that one tower. Then as you gain enough money, you can upgrade your supporting towers to actually help attack. It is also not about simple "lives". You have to defend something - a super-ultra-powerful ray thingy that will be able to kill off enemies permanently. The ray recovers life over time and you must keep it alive. It is not done yet, but I believe the game conditions should be, waves will continue to come no matter what until either the Ray fully gains life or the Ray gets destroyed. So then there is more feeling of accomplishment after completing the game.

Features:
Main Towers: These are required towers. They must be built before building anything else. There's a reason.
Towers: Unlike the usual TDs where towers are built to damage creeps as they travel past a maze, towers have effects. Usually the basic towers (level 1) will only enable abilities for the main tower.
Upgrading towers: Upgrading level 1 towers will usually give it an attack. These attacks have similar effects as the ability the level 1 tower gave to the main tower. The ability will stay with the main tower even after upgrading.
Tower limit: There is a 36 tower limit, 54 for blue and red. Every tower and upgrade costs 1 food, limiting how many you can have. This should reduce some possible lag. It will also force players to either have some strong towers, a very long maze with weak towers, or in between. This will make it a more difficult game.
Save/load: (This is disabled for the demo/alpha) As you damage creeps, you gain points. The higher level they are, the easier it is to gain points from that unit - so saving 100 times for beating level 2 will probably not get you more points than someone who beat level 30. These points can be loaded in the next game and possibly enabling special bonuses.
Creep Spawning: Creeps are spawned every 20 seconds. This prevents people from having to wait a minute just for one person to finish their creeps. It also makes it more difficult by having a constant flow of enemies coming.
Individual creeps: Players receive their own type of creeps depending on what race they selected. This means the player next to you may be receiving durable creeps while the next person will be receiving fast running creeps. These creeps will try to be as countering as they can the the player's race. So players must work with their partner and decide who will get what and players will learn which combinations are best as time goes on.
Wave preview multiboard: The multiboard shows advanced details (almost everything, still incomplete) about a player's creeps and points.
Anti-block: There is a system where players cannot block or build outside of their area.
Defender tower: There is a vital part of the map. This is the area around the castle (what you are defending). When creeps reach this area, they are immune to future attacks, but now can be attacked by the Defend Tower. Defenders are fairly strong towers with splash.

What is to come:
Races: The current race you can pick is the Ardesco (fire). There will be some more races like ice, lightning, earth, water, wind, dark, light, and others if I have time.
Income: As a short demo, towers cost nothing yet so there was no need for income. But there will be a team-shared income later, where kills will be shared among the whole team so there are no "kill steals".
Hints: Better tips on how to play the game at convenient times.
Modes: The start-up delay won't be pointless after I add modes.
Complete multiboard: maybe add more.

Try it out and give feedback please!
Note: the demo is protected so do not try to open the file. Download it to your WC3 downloaded maps directory and try it. Some future version will be open source later, but not yet.

Comments Appreciated

26d -> 26e June 29 I think
- corrected tooltips for towers with attacks to air
- removed food production from defend tower
- lowered food for red & blue 72->54
- buffed attack tower 1's damage; lowered 2's damage
- lowered defend tower 2's damage slightly
- removed neutral towers
- added game time to multiboard
- added lives to multiboard
- buffed LandBlazer area burn damage
- fixed spells going off from Attack Tower even if not fully constructed
- spawn points for players are individually pinged to show where players should build

26e -> 27e July 2
- wider lane areas, but shorter
- build times are the same, no more waiting too long for one tower
- added armor to Grunt wave
- fixed headhunter's stats
- anti-block messages
- added Firebolter
- optimized a few things
- more detail in Level message
- removed 1 private message
- added starting text when ">ready" is typed
- lowered delay when 'host' types ">ready"

27e -> 28g July 6
Adjustments
- changed ASDF tower hotkeys -> SDFG

Additions
- added Ardesco towers: Toaster, Inner Strength
- added a weird hotkey to Sell (O, because I want an uncommon hotkey to avoid ingame mistakes)
- added ability to Defender tower (soon to adjust it for level 2 Defender)
- multiboard now shows current & max level

Fixes
- various tooltip fixes

Balances
- rate Incinerator loads a 'shot' .30s -> .40s
- increased dmg range for Ardesco Defender: 11-12 -> 10-13

28g -> 29f July 10
Adjustments
- adjusted multiboard a bit to standardize its size; may revert back
- changed order of some towers

Additions
- multiboard shows game delay for mode choosing & waves
- added two new waves: Divine and Regen
- added wave type to creep names
- added an upgrade for Inner Strength
- added an improved Ardesco Defender ability to level 2 tower

Fixes
- fixed Inner Strength from activating twice on the same unit rarely
- attempt to help reduce lag
- fixed various tooltips
- fixed game mode delay if "host" does not type ">ready"
- Inner Strength only affects towers

Balances
- buffed Fire Breather initial chance 7% -> 15%
- buffed Inner Strength chance: 20%->30% initial; +.4%->.7% bonus; 25% dmg -> 35%; 400 AoE -> 500
- buffed Debaser bonus: +.1s->.3s
- buffed Firebolter bonus: +7 dmg->14
- buffed LandBlazer bonus: .2s->.25
- buffed Splasher bonus: 30 range->40
- changed range for Inner Strength chain: 500 range all the time
- buffed most of the spawns(although not near what it should be)

New:
- For the demo, spawns 8-30 are now random from the first 7 waves to add more variety

Coming up:
* Faster Build, maybe instant?
* Final Ardesco tower (wondering if it should be available only when enough "points" have been saved for the player)
* Level 2 upgrades for rest of towers
* More creep waves
* Bounty & tower gold cost
* More Workers
* Terrain (will be last on my list)

Attachments

• (BeastTD 29f opt).w3x
    53.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Level 15
I love it!
I love how the towers interact with those other support buildings.
I also love how its not about lives and creeps bounty~! Too COOL!
However, I did finish 30 levels in single player. But I did realise that the creeps didn't change after a certain level, the Headhunter one.
I really like the multiboard, there is much information.
Overall, the gameplay owned. +rep for the pure awesome game~!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I would suggest that you have other non-fire support towers, since fire support towers are the only ones I see so far (pretty much). Is there a reason for that?

Level 7
I love it!
I love how the towers interact with those other support buildings.
I also love how its not about lives and creeps bounty~! Too COOL!
However, I did finish 30 levels in single player. But I did realise that the creeps didn't change after a certain level, the Headhunter one.
I really like the multiboard, there is much information.
Overall, the gameplay owned. +rep for the pure awesome game~!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I would suggest that you have other non-fire support towers, since fire support towers are the only ones I see so far (pretty much). Is there a reason for that?

Thanks Zack. I'm hoping people like it.
This wasn't meant to be hard yet and it's only a rough draft of whats to come. That is why after level 5 (headhunters) the wave is just repeated - I didn't add a complete range of levels yet, as I do not know what should be the max level.
Also, the towers you can build right now are only fire because the only worker you can build is the fire race. So its basically based around fire. I'll add other types once I finish the fire race. There is a reason for only fire: the fire race is more of a decimation group, strong in attacks, dealing damage over time, and even weakening enemies. Now, say that's all good but at later levels, creeps get more durable and sometimes immune to fire or something. This is where teamplay comes in. (Once I add it...) your partner can select the ice race or something to compliment your choice. He will be able to slow down creeps as you take them down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[v27e] There weren't many noticeable changes in this one, just little fixes so unless you've tried earlier, give it a shot and give suggestions :). Note: should be fairly easy since towers don't cost gold yet.

[v28g] This one is a tad more additive than the previous update, 2 new towers!

[v29f] NEW VERSION please try it! : This one more focused on balance and more logical tower order (best would be last to built).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.