• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Acheron

On which RPG Genre this project should be focused the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Alright, took your advice, Duke. Text is fixed now, also made the arrow smaller and black to fit the text.
ZEw2r4F.png

Level 51
I still feel you should go for a way more simple font. It looks so fancy. Also, the font fading in the top of the laters makes it kinda annoying to read.

skyrim.jpg

Take a look at the skyrim font. It's clear, does not look printed but is still very easy to read. (Blame me for referencing Skyrim again, but it's just a good example)

What also puts me off (I only noticed it now) is that you wrote it full in caps. Nobody writes like that. Even changing only that would make it look way better I feel.

I still feel you should go for a way more simple font. It looks so fancy. Also, the font fading in the top of the laters makes it kinda annoying to read.

skyrim.jpg

Take a look at the skyrim font. It's clear, does not look printed but is still very easy to read. (Blame me for referencing Skyrim again, but it's just a good example)

What also puts me off (I only noticed it now) is that you wrote it full in caps. Nobody writes like that. Even changing only that would make it look way better I feel.

I agree.

Level 31
Fair points. Current font is actually skyrim's as well, hehe. Will look for this font and change will be made. Perhaps any ideas where to get this font?

EDIT: As I see there no such font available, only familiar ones. Will change into something similar.

Last edited:
Level 3
I just have to throw in that those pictures in the opening post look so overwhelmingly beautiful...
Wow. :eek:

Level 31
Thanks, I'm glad it turned out to be even better. :)

EDIT: Just to show something else, screenshot below displays map's containers - treasure chests, basic wow models with some reskinning, except for the box. Most common at start will be Brute Wooden Box, later on mainly there will be Aberrant Chest, Tenebrous may be found only after achieving something difficult, such as completeing puzzles, etc. Legendary chest will be available only on Master difficulty mode, it will be even harder to reach, plus very few or even 1 - 2 of these will be in entire map, specifically in areas which might be closed for lower difficulties. What I will try to bring up with difficulties, is that when playing on easy mode (apprentice), you do not have to do a lot to progress in map, you will not need to find vital items and complete important missions to finish the map, however harder difficulty will force you to complete those tasks and explore world as it will reward you and you will need it in order to progress because of difficulty.
yVCbz5t.png

Thanks, I'm glad it turned out to be even better. :)

EDIT: Just to show something else, screenshot below displays map's containers - treasure chests, basic wow models with some reskinning, except for the box. Most common at start will be Brute Wooden Box, later on mainly there will be Aberrant Chest, Tenebrous may be found only after achieving something difficult, such as completeing puzzles, etc. Legendary chest will be available only on Master difficulty mode, it will be even harder to reach, plus very few or even 1 - 2 of these will be in entire map, specifically in areas which might be closed for lower difficulties. What I will try to bring up with difficulties, is that when playing on easy mode (apprentice), you do not have to do a lot to progress in map, you will not need to find vital items and complete important missions to finish the map, however harder difficulty will force you to complete those tasks and explore world as it will reward you and you will need it in order to progress because of difficulty.
yVCbz5t.png

How are you planning on making the loot system? I have a suggestion:

Add ability "Inventory" to the container unit (building), then add items via triggers. Once the player "kills" the unit (building) the unit (building) will "revive" and be owned by the player. Thus it will allow the player to move items in- and out from it's inventory.

Level 31
Loot system will be ordinary, as container / enemy dies, item is dropped. System comes into the way items will be dropped. What I mean by that, everything will be luck based. I never wanted it to be luck based, but people insisted, so I want for this. Basically the harder difficulty, the better chance to drop a better item, some items get eliminated at all because these becomes too weak and as on easy mode best items are not available. Gathering certain points for killing bosses, which will be killable multiple times, may increase the odds on the drop, it will add certain amount of percents depending on the amount of those points so that a better chance to drop better loot emerges. Those points not only impact drop, but also spell critical strikes and overall random-condition thing.

Your ideas sounds very nice, but it could be used in very few occasions I suppose, because if every container was made like this, it would be really annoying to keep moving items from other inventory just to take them later on. It is much faster and easier to loot those items from the ground immedaitely, considering all of those will be picked.

Mainly combo items will be bought through vendor system and drop of normal items during the game will be rare, except for major pieces (head, shoulders, weapon). Mainly drop will consist of essence orbs, these will be dropped most oftenly. These orbs are consumed immediately and each will have certain chance to drop depending on difficulty. These orbs will provide low value money, high value money, some are dropped from enemies by chance and it provides immediate heal on both, mana and health. Rare orbs that has low chance to drop will provide either a skill point or even a talent tree point. The most rare orb will level up, which is equal to many tens of enemies killed in the later game as well as skill and talent point. Of course there will be some good items dropped during the game, especially from those fancy chests, but still by chance.

Loot system will be ordinary, as container / enemy dies, item is dropped. System comes into the way items will be dropped. What I mean by that, everything will be luck based. I never wanted it to be luck based, but people insisted, so I want for this. Basically the harder difficulty, the better chance to drop a better item, some items get eliminated at all because these becomes too weak and as on easy mode best items are not available. Gathering certain points for killing bosses, which will be killable multiple times, may increase the odds on the drop, it will add certain amount of percents depending on the amount of those points so that a better chance to drop better loot emerges. Those points not only impact drop, but also spell critical strikes and overall random-condition thing.

Your ideas sounds very nice, but it could be used in very few occasions I suppose, because if every container was made like this, it would be really annoying to keep moving items from other inventory just to take them later on. It is much faster and easier to loot those items from the ground immedaitely, considering all of those will be picked.

Mainly combo items will be bought through vendor system and drop of normal items during the game will be rare, except for major pieces (head, shoulders, weapon). Mainly drop will consist of essence orbs, these will be dropped most oftenly. These orbs are consumed immediately and each will have certain chance to drop depending on difficulty. These orbs will provide low value money, high value money, some are dropped from enemies by chance and it provides immediate heal on both, mana and health. Rare orbs that has low chance to drop will provide either a skill point or even a talent tree point. The most rare orb will level up, which is equal to many tens of enemies killed in the later game as well as skill and talent point. Of course there will be some good items dropped during the game, especially from those fancy chests, but still by chance.

Ah, but you would use my idea on a special occasion? ;d

Anyway, I'mglad you are posting more progress lately.

Level 31
Well yeah, I may perhaps, will see, since it is a nice idea for that loot when you need to make a decision between items for exmaple. :)

Here is the first puzzle area, this area is slightly bigger than shown, I just do not wish to spam similar screenshots. Those lights and rocks are in air, rocks as spinning. Chest will be reached after puzzle is completed. This is ingame look.
SIHa8ow.png

Well yeah, I may perhaps, will see, since it is a nice idea for that loot when you need to make a decision between items for exmaple. :)

Here is the first puzzle area, this area is slightly bigger than shown, I just do not wish to spam similar screenshots. Those lights and rocks are in air, rocks as spinning. Chest will be reached after puzzle is completed. This is ingame look.
SIHa8ow.png

At first glance I taught that this was not Wc3, the lightning is beautiful. Those dancing lights have "omni light nodes"? It would look even more magnificent.

Level 31
Thanks, A Void. :) These are actually with omni light. Everything you see is lightened by omni light, because of call SetDayNightModels("","") everything would be completely black. Warcraft however has some ugly lighting bugs that doesn't make it that parfect, some spots goes black while it should not.

That's not what I meant.

First of all, you should explain on what you think light setting are?

Secondly, to my knowledge this map has no lightning settings. That's why he has used the script to make it more realistic with shadows. The lights that the wisps are using are omni lights, they can either be attached as an attachment to a unit or added via doodad/unit/ on the area. Omni lights can be omnidirectional and directional.

Standard light settings in maps called CLE (Custom Light Environment) are turned off in his map. Is that clear enough?

To be clear enough - DayNight Models are CLE. You can find CLE models in the MPQ.

Level 31
DNC is not used at all, I don't have this option ticked on my Map Options. So yeah as A Void said, light source is driven from model omni light nodes. It is really fun, because I never tried it before and this theme of map gives this opportunity.

This room is rather bright, light is needed for the puzzle, other areas are darker, plus I use some black fog model doodad to make it look even darker when light source is there.

Watch your language A Void.

I asked APproject, NOT you.

Yeah it seemed to me like some sort of DNC models used with the default light settings of the game for some reason.

What? You did not ask him. You haven't even quoted him, fail. Also you forgot to realize that this is a public forum where anyone can comment and reply.

If you aggro (insult) me again like this I will start reporting.

On-Topic, just as I said about Day Night models. :)

Level 13
Yo APproject, I remember you uploading an alpha of your new map awhile back, and I recall noticing something that was unnecessarily taking up space. Though your maps aren't meant to be under the 8mb limit, I thought this would still be handy as it would result in smaller filesize. For your icons in the shopping UI and talent tree UI, you used a separate model for each icon. This is not necessary. You can have multiple destructibles and attach the .blp you want to each. Just thought I would mention, if you ever feel lke getting around to do that, would help your filesize a little ^^ Good luck on your endeavors ;D

Level 31
Hey there.

Nah, I didn't upload it, however I was planning to release Alpha and then Beta versions, but then I reliazed this way it would attract much less attention from the people when later versions are released, so I changed my mind and I am releasing only full version.

I did however upload it on pastebin in World Editor Help Zone, as I faced memory issue that crashed the game, error lied with massive negative values for selection scales that stored 20 MB of memory per click - instant kill for WC3. It is fixed now.

Yeah, I am aware it can be done with destructibles, and I am going with a separate model indeed. However, the model I use takes only 1 KB of space, so for each texture it is additional 1 KB, nothing really major. What takes space are HQ models and sounds, it is adjustable though and I must say I did not so my best to reduce size. But thanks for your concerns. :)

Only about 10% (15 minutes of game or even less) of gameplay in and game has over 200 triggers, ugh.

Level 13
Sounds pretty massive! Hopefully you'll manage to keep the script pretty clean as fps already does down some from having a lot of doodads and stuff of the screen.

Level 31
Going quite slow due to exam session, the good news only one exam is left, hehe. Completely done with current areas concerning difficulty differences, puzzles, enemies, items and their drop, etc. Currently slowly building terrain for a new area, may post terrain screenie with the next update.

Level 31
Some news regarding storyline development and terrain progress.

I am currently working with Molaf on the development of the storyline. He appeared to be quite good with coming up with twisted stories and ideas, so he is willing to write me a storyline, of course it will be adjusted and modified to fit the gameplay, but I am expecting to have a very satisfying results of the storyline. Molaf also gave me some valuable tips and ideas on quest development. Later I may post a complete prologue storyline on this thread just to get a good grip to what is this map is going to be about.

Also a terrain progress image. Almost complete with current areas' gameplay, so now I am moving on. This area will contain a very neat quest, unique in a way that it is not going to be kill X number of creeps. I will try to avoid that in the project and work hard on every quest just to bring something fresh for the RPG experience, for that there may not be many quests. This area is different from others in its structure. I used very steep cliffs to maintain gaps between different terrain levels as narrow as it can be, and with alpha tile it looks extrmely well and tight. In game it all looks better as lighting does its job very well.
D3QiWv3.png

Some news regarding storyline development and terrain progress.

I am currently working with Molaf on the development of the storyline. He appeared to be quite good with coming up with twisted stories and ideas, so he is willing to write me a storyline, of course it will be adjusted and modified to fit the gameplay, but I am expecting to have a very satisfying results of the storyline. Molaf also gave me some valuable tips and ideas on quest development. Later I may post a complete prologue storyline on this thread just to get a good grip to what is this map is going to be about.

Also a terrain progress image. Almost complete with current areas' gameplay, so now I am moving on. This area will contain a very neat quest, unique in a way that it is not going to be kill X number of creeps. I will try to avoid that in the project and work hard on every quest just to bring something fresh for the RPG experience, for that there may not be many quests. This area is different from others in its structure. I used very steep cliffs to maintain gaps between different terrain levels as narrow as it can be, and with alpha tile it looks extrmely well and tight. In game it all looks better as lighting does its job very well.
D3QiWv3.png

Will the game feature the Throne of Hades? It would be pretty epic to see the throne, probably an inaccessible area below the map with alpha tile.

Also, good job on new terrain. It looks spooky enough.

Level 31
Another news update.

Molaf is developing the storyline quite rapidly. Story will feature the river of underworld Acheron being afflicted by the unknown enabling the living to pass into the underwolrd as well as the dead pass into the living world without regulation of Cerberus. Story will also feature characters like Hades, Thanathos, Sysyphus, Zeus, Ares, as well as Charon and his treasure, items like Apandorus. Storyline is going to be really well twisted with several lines and not only one.

Another thing truly worth mentioning, DivineArms agreed to take part in the project as a voice actor and he already acted few lines. He did a really great and professional-like job, his quality contribution surely will improve the outcome of overall atmosphere of the game.

Another news update.

Molaf is developing the storyline quite rapidly. Story will feature the river of underworld Acheron being afflicted by the unknown enabling the living to pass into the underwolrd as well as the dead pass into the living world without regulation of Cerberus. Story will also feature characters like Hades, Thanathos, Sysyphus, Zeus, Ares, as well as Charon and his treasure, items like Apandorus. Storyline is going to be really well twisted with several lines and not only one.

Another thing truly worth mentioning, DivineArms agreed to take part in the project as a voice actor and he already acted few lines. He did a really great and professional-like job, his quality contribution surely will improve the outcome of overall atmosphere of the game.

hmm, interesting. DivineArms could voiceover entire texts in books.

Level 31
Thanks, guys. :)

No, I don't use that. Could you perhaps drop me a link to that so I could check it out?

Oh and in the latest terrain these levels are not fake, you can walk on them and you will. :) Unless you talked about previous terrain of course.

Something terrible happened today. I attempted to copy some kind of spell from spells section and the coding fucked the map real good, it could not be opened with editor anymore, crashed every time. Test map function saved other map, the spell map I tested. I thought all is completely gone, I went nuts. But I looked for some solutions and I found out that Jass NewGen pack Editor that I use actually has up to 26 of latest copies in the backup folder, so I managed to save the project just because of this Editor. Bless those who made this Editor. :)

Thanks, guys. :)

No, I don't use that. Could you perhaps drop me a link to that so I could check it out?

Oh and in the latest terrain these levels are not fake, you can walk on them and you will. :) Unless you talked about previous terrain of course.

Something terrible happened today. I attempted to copy some kind of spell from spells section and the coding fucked the map real good, it could not be opened with editor anymore, crashed every time. Test map function saved other map, the spell map I tested. I thought all is completely gone, I went nuts. But I looked for some solutions and I found out that Jass NewGen pack Editor that I use actually has up to 26 of latest copies in the backup folder, so I managed to save the project just because of this Editor. Bless those who made this Editor. :)

Well you could also open the map using MPQ viewer and delete the malicious code with editing the script. Then you can open the map again, you can also do this with corrupted models that crash the map. Simply delete them in MPQ editor.

Also. Don't forget to turn auto save on feature.

Level 31
Oh, I was looking for some way to deal with this issue, but I could not find anything through google. MPQ viewer then, good to know, A_Void, will take a look at that. Well with the crash some textures also got corrupted as the error window directed into a corrupted BLP instead.

Perhaps you could give me a link to the auto save system? I could not find any on the spell section nor google. I must be bad at searching or something, hehe.

With current system of the game it will be hard to face defeat condition if you try enough, because you will be resurrected by your companion when you die. I just wonder when resurrection should begin, currently it happens when there are no nearby enemies, perhaps I should make it immediately after death. Plus if companion dies, she resurrects herself with small cooldown for resurrection. If she gets really low on health very quickly and resurrection is still on cooldown, she turns invulnerable for some time until cooldown is gone. This invulnerability takes much longer cooldown. When invulnerability is gone, if she dies, she gets the cooldown, resurrects, and if dies rapidly again, invulnerability might be on cooldown and only then happens a defeat condition. Companion is not as strong as you might be, so if she is attacked by many enemies at once and you are dead, there is no hope.

Level 6
Perhaps you could give me a link to the auto save system? I could not find any on the spell section nor google. I must be bad at searching or something, hehe.

File > Preferences > General tab. There is an auto-save option that lets you set what time (minutes) you can save your map automatically.

I know I already said it via a rep, but the project's looking great and am looking forward to it!

Level 31
Yeah, I usually keep another copy of the map in a dropbox, but it was one week old and it would be a loss of MANY hours since I worked so much this week. JNGP truly saves the day. :)

Oh, I really have no problems saving the map myself, the problem here was that it did crash when saving due to a bad coding. I had in mind an auto save system in-game.

Thanks again, Alright. :)

Level 3
wow another great project ? thanks for your great work APproject cant wait to test this ,btw i finished iceborn and it was so fun i hope this new project have the same system as iceborn

Level 31
Thanks, zxzx. I hope this will be even better than Iceborn. :)

On the side note, I submitted a poll concerning the direction of RPG genre. This project may appear mostly as dungeon crawler or narrative genre RPG, so your votes may direct me which genre deserves more attention.

What is more, Molaf is currently working on the underworld map that may appear in the game. I also finished the first optional quest, took me loads of time as it required lots of voice acting to be done, coding and this quest will be noted for its reward as there will be 3 rewards you will be able to pick from. Yet it is also noted for moral point of view as there will be no good decision and no matter what, morally you will do a bad thing to someone. Perhaps I should include more simple and quick quests, but with some tricks, instead of few big ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.