• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scars of Conflict [Altered Melee]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 48
Banner.png

xc6uyp.jpg

Scars of Conflict is an altered melee project that is being developed by Bloodlust Studios, a modding team comprised of Linaze, Debode and Mr.Goblin, and with contributions from several others. Years ago, the project was being developed under a different name solely by Linaze, and in that time it was a campaign taking place during the second war (Warcraft II) where you play as the Orcish Horde. This project failed and got restarted many times before finally dying out. In late 2009, the project as it is known today begun anew, this time under the current name - "Scars of Conflict". At first Linaze was the only developer, but soon after he was joined by Debode as a modeler and secondary developer and Mr.Goblin as chief of the art department(Our one and only 2D artist and terrainer, he contributed to the project greatly and due to his many relations with other artists on the Hive, we have gained the support of various people who have contributed models and other help for the project). Development continued in a steady progress ever since then, and is still in progress today.​

Screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.pngScreenshot3.pngScreenshot4.pngScreenshot5.png

u3mfo.jpg

• Linaze - Project leader.
    SoC was originally Linaze's solo project. He led us all the way from the beggining to what we have now. He codes, works with the Object Editor, fixes up the terrain, designs the project, and... The list goes on.​
  • Mr.Goblin - 2D Artist.
    Mr.Goblin joined Linaze after Bloodlust Studios was formed. Bloodlust Studios is the nickname for the group of modders consisting of Debode, Linaze and Mr.Goblin. Originally we were all working separately on our project, assisting eachother when required, but Scars of Conflict, Linaze's project, remained the last standing project as the rest slowly died off.
    Mr.Goblin does most of the art for Scars of Conflict - Terrain, icons, textures, etc. In the past, he also gathered a large amount of freelance modelers to work on the Scars of Conflict art, each independently, and thus most of Scars of Conflict's art was gathered and finished, each full with a texture and icon made by Mr.Goblin.​
  • Debode - 3D Artist
    Debode joined Linaze before Mr.Goblin did, mainly helping with an occasional model edit and some feedback on the game's progress. Eventually, as Scars of Conflict built up and Bloodlust Studios was formed, Debode received a higher role in Scars of Conflict.
    Debode works on most of the 3D art in Scars of Conflict - Mostly model edits and occasionally scratch-made models. He usually works in cooperation with Mr.Goblin, who textures the model as it is being made. He is also responsible for the maintenance of the SoC thread on the Hive.​

iwuiog.jpg

Scars of Conflict features 2 classic races, Orcs and Humans, fighting on an epic battlefield with powerful spells and great strength.
Featuring classical units such as the Grunt, Footman, Peon and Elven Archer as well as completely new and unique units such as the Assassin, Engineer, Saboteur and Warlock, Scars of Conflict strives to be the exceptional altered melee while still having some of the nostalgic feel from WC2. Player are to use a starting base consisting of a main building and 5 workers to expand their base, train troops, control gold mines, take over control points such as the Tower of Sight and ultimately defeat their opponents. Scars of Conflict also features naval combat, which is very important to the gameplay as bases are often separated by water and players must use Transport Ships to reach eachother. An effective way to make sure no one intrudes you is to have a powerful navy protecting your shores and attacking the enemy.
Each techtree is unique; Unlike WC2, Scars of Conflict does not have 'clone units', which means that each unit is unique, and no two units are identical or incredibly similar. Most units have some kind of ability or research to further increase their efficiency in battle.
Scars of Conflict also introduces a unique gameplay element which we like to call 'Control Points'. Those are neutral buildings that, when approached, come under the control of a player. An example for a control point is the Tower of Sight, which can be found in our 1v1 melee map - the Tower of Sight is a large tower located in the middle of the map, in a strategic location on a lone island. Once controlled, it grants you a large radius of vision and thus can be used to better identify attacks before they hit you, to preform hit-and-run attacks on the enemy, to control the seas and to better discover attempts to expand from the enemy.
Scars of Conflict also features various unique game mechanics, such as the Day\Night mechanic which causes units like the Assassin, Death Knight and the undead summoned by the Death Knight to be more powerful at night, and units like the Paladin and Cleric to be more powerful at day. This forces the player to plan their strategies according to the day\night cycle and might grant a player the game-winning advantage if used correctly... Or their demise if used incorrectly. Whatever the case is, the Day\Night cycle in Scars of Conflict is surely not a factor made to be ignored.​

243p3yw.jpg

Scars of Conflict has many unique features, which include:

• A distinct and unique art style, created by our artist, Mr.Goblin.
  • Two unique techtrees that combine classical WC2 units with a twist, and completely new and unique units not featured in WC3 or WC2.
  • Naval warfare - Scars of Conflict will rely heavily on naval battles and often the only way to your enemy's base is through water.
    • Each race will feature at least one unique, never-seen-before ship such as the Flagship and the Saboteur, and both races will have differently designed and balanced navies. Players will have to counter eachother's ships in clever ways in order to achieve victory in sea, and then overcome eachother in one final battle for supremacy on land.
    • Naval units will often be supported by flying units such as the devastating Dragon or the proud Gryphon Rider in order to overcome the enemy's fleets. This places the player in a choice - should they get a powerful fleet or support their smaller fleet with the mighty terrors of the sky?
  • New, unique and balanced melee maps featuring ground-breaking terrainer made by our chief artist - Mr.Goblin.
  • Completely new spells created specifically for Scars of Conflict; No spellcaster in Scars of Conflict will have their old, outdated Warcraft II spellset but rather unique spells carefully designed and created by our dedicated team.
  • Control points - Fight for dominance over those neutral buildings in order to gain the slight advantage that might grant you your victory!

2mr7bc2.jpg

The techtrees in Scars of Conflict are unique and very different from eachother. While some units may be slightly similar, they act in a different way, and even units like the Grunt and Footman have their differences. One example is cost and power; Another is spells. No unit is exactly like another, and most units 'borrowed' from Warcraft II were redesigned in one way or another to achieve unique techtrees that are not copies of eachother.
Currently, the techtrees are mostly finished but are experiencing constant additions and changes. When both techtrees are complete, design-wise and art-wise, we will update this section with a graphical representation of them.​

qog8yo.jpg

f37ur4.jpg
24pi1d2.jpg
118hp94.jpg
23rvitt.jpg
zsnva9.jpg
30ab4sy.jpg
15hcqap.jpg
9bahvq.jpg
2z7rihi.jpg
2mw59ah.jpg
9zrpdy.jpg
hwkdmw.jpg
2ppwmma.jpg
11kjtad.jpg
qqwuo1.jpg
2hq6zhc.jpg
12478zm.jpg
34nhd9d.jpg
2zr3v9u.jpg
el17dj.jpg

Model Screenshots:
peasant.pngknight.pngpeon.pngdest.pngFootman.png
Dragon.pngDragon Roost.pngElven Ballista.pngGrunt.pngGryphon Rider.png
Human Battleship.pngHuman Transport.pngOgre.pngOgre Mage.pngPaladin.png
Skeleton.pngTroll Axethrower.pngMage.pngDeath Knight.pngAssassin.png

Icons:
1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png
6.png7.png8.png9.png10.png
11.png12.png13.png14.png15.png
16.png17.png18.png19.png20.png
21.png22.png23.png24.png25.png
26.png27.png28.png29.png30.png

dmzceq.jpg

Developer Blogs are short overviews over units, game mechanics and the like that we recently finished. This section holds links to all of the previous Developer Blogs. When a new Developer's Blog is published, it shall be posted here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 24
Do you even need to ask? Modelers are always needed. :p
I would love to see some of your work first, though.

Regarding your question about building sizes. As much as I'd love for buildings to be very big compared to the units, it simply doesn't work too well for a melee-styled gameplay, and that's probably why every (or nearly) RTS game on the market has unrealistically small buildings.

Great screenshots! hehe make the members see how it looks like without showing the whole map.. it's very nice! :D

You should re-upload the techtree Debode made for you.. since it's well done.

well.. i'm pretty much registering to this thread with this post.. so will stop spamming.

Last edited:
Level 24
@takakenji, I'm not too impressed by the quality of that ogre, to be honest. I think I want custom models made for this project to be of higher quality than what I believe you can deliver.
@Fan, is that Bloodelf Demonhuntress model made from scratch?

Level 27
This looks cool :) but eh... one thing:
Isn't it Lok'THar Ogar?

Anyways, i looked at that ogre warlord that you aren't impressed with, and personally, i think it looks better than any ogre made by blizz (exept from the ones in WoW.)
What's wrong with it?

It's called a wip Ghost765 yet.. very constructive comment.

I know Linaze is basing himself on warcraft2 but he's not CNping all the data of each units.

He's just retaking much of the concepts found in warcraft2.

Also, he've been working hard ressently on balancing the techtree of the 2 race.

Level 5
Shouldn't an axemaster's model be like Grom? After all, he is holding an axe, unlike the blademaster, which as per his name, wields a blade?

Good news! I still passed a good 3 hours again on making an icon look Blizzard-ish :D

right now I'm working on a texture for a ''unknown'' hero :D, the unknown is because it haven't been revealed yet.. just saying that so you guys know we are working on this project :D

Also.. you should know that what's great about this project.. is that all the warcraft3 heros are still alive (Grom hellscream >.>, Admiral Proodmourn <.<, Muradin, >.> ) and all the warcraft2 heros could be found too! So.. we hope to give you alot of surprising news! :D

cant wait for the screenies

The thing is.. If we show too much stuff.. playing will be less funny cause you've already seen the map.

That's the main reason Linaze didn't showed alot of stuff on the first screenis he uploaded. WICH! I think it's a briliant idea...

it's like movie's advertising.. if you see all the best punch lines and event in that preview.. you will end up thinking the movie was lame and boring.

anyway.. (goes back texturing)

Level 24
Even asking for a modeler to make that amount of building models would be outrageous.
And no, I'm not going to use RED_XIII's building models, because of various reasons.
Besides, most of the buildings from WC3 work, such as barracks, shipyards and farms, heck, the undead temple works well for the orcish one. But yes, there are a few, such as the lack of something resembling the Troll Lumber Mill (Forest Troll Hut does, kinda, but lacks needed anims and doesn't look at all like a lumber mill), so that's one of the few building models I'd really want, along with a orcish blacksmith, since the war mill just looks really ugly in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.