• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Files in Battle.net Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

In one of the recent Battle.net launcher updates, Blizzard has included a couple of images for
Warcraft III into their mpq's (source).

The following files have been added:
File
/resources/images/icon_war3_launch_roc.png
attachment.php
/resources/catalog_images/icon_game_war3_tiny.png
attachment.php
/resources/catalog_images/icon_game_war3_small.png
attachment.php
/resources/catalog_images/icon_game_war3_medium.png
attachment.php
/resources/catalog_images/icon_game_war3.png
attachment.php
/resources/catalog_images/logo_war3.png
logo_war3.png
/resources/catalog_images/background_war3.jpg
background_war3.jpg

What does this mean? Only time will tell. Recall that Blizzard expressed interest in reviving/updating
their older games to work on modern computers (and perhaps to take advantage of their new
Battle.net). That would be a godsend not only in connecting players across multiple games, but also
correcting a whole slew of issues with the current battle.net. None of this information is definitive,
but let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that Blizzard resurrects Warcraft 3!

Attachments

• icon_game_war3_medium.png
    icon_game_war3_medium.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 112,748
  • icon_game_war3_small.png
    icon_game_war3_small.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 113,109
  • icon_game_war3_tiny.png
    icon_game_war3_tiny.png
    639 bytes · Views: 113,816
  • icon_game_war3.png
    icon_game_war3.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 112,131
  • icon_war3_launch_roc.png
    icon_war3_launch_roc.png
    384 bytes · Views: 113,968
Last edited:
What if you only have Reign of Chaos. Which icon will they use then?

If they implement this, I'm guessing Blizzard will have a drop-down menu to choose whether you want to launch Frozen Throne or Reign of Chaos, similar to how you choose Region / Account for other games. I doubt they would add a separate menu for Reign of Chaos, that would probably just clutter things. Since one of the icons has "launch_roc" in the title, they certainly won't neglect it. ;p

Level 29
Is this the same piece of crap software that wants to re-download the entire sc2 client on first install despite having it already on drive ? (effectively doubling size of the install for nothing) If so then fuck it.
I anyways dont get why everyone is willing to produce their own steam-clone these days, missing the times where you could just launch games without having to fire up an overlay and finally the game running atop, wondering if Windows is becoming redundant next as all firms write their own environment forcing us to boot drive just to play their games. Its a ridiculous direction of development.

Level 18
Well this is the most interesting piece of news I've read on here in a while. The fact that they even bothered updating anything at all shows that WC3 is still breathing. Albeit slow, shallow breaths. Some small changes could really help inject new life into the game, starting with a ~$2.99 digital download of TFT and adding some DLC (heroes, mini campaigns, maps???).

Last edited:
Level 12
Oh my god. Oh my fucking god. If they slowly start to update it once again, adding new features and noticing how much Warcraft III has improved and changed when it comes to scripting and fan made content since they last gave a fuck about it, they'll decide to move on that path and actually improve it, perhaps even brainstorming the new ideas for Warcraft IV. This really fixed my day to be honest, yay!

Is this the same piece of crap software that wants to re-download the entire sc2 client on first install despite having it already on drive ? (effectively doubling size of the install for nothing) If so then fuck it.
I anyways dont get why everyone is willing to produce their own steam-clone these days, missing the times where you could just launch games without having to fire up an overlay and finally the game running atop, wondering if Windows is becoming redundant next as all firms write their own environment forcing us to boot drive just to play their games. Its a ridiculous direction of development.

It should be better now. The reason why it asks you to re-download the entire sc2 client is because it couldn't locate your sc2 installation. They have options to show the app where your installation is.

I was against it at first, but I find it convenient for WoW and hearthstone. It helps you check if friends are on, and it is a lot better patching than the previous years. I almost always have the client open, so it isn't a hassle to click the game and press play.

I am sorry to dissapoint you, but this isn't a new content. It's just a couple of icons to make a new windows wc3 version look ok when listed in battle.net launcher.

Wc3 on win10, that's pretty much it.
But that's still some good news. They are not giving up on supporting the game, yay.

People are overreacting, they are just updating the launcher to have those classic games such as Diablo II, War3, SC.

That is possible, but it would reflect very poorly on Blizzard if they released the game in its current state. You can't even install it on a Mac (and you can't run BNet on later versions), BNet is filled with bots and is using an old system, more than half of the players probably use different clients for online play, and players have been begging for a ladder reset/new map pool for years (which one Blizz representative said they would do, but never did).

If they added it to the launcher, it would certainly entice people to play it again (heck, there would probably be a lot of new comers too, if the game is cheap enough). As such, Blizzard would need more support. Currently, their support for wc3 is at a record-low of 0 representatives, but hopefully it would bring at least 1 person to monitor it. That alone would be a success and could bring about change. It isn't necessarily about getting anything to directly benefit us as modders, but simply increasing the player base would be awesome.

Of course, it is definitely possible that you guys are right--maybe Blizzard will just slap it in the launcher and call it a day. However, even if that is all they do, I'm pretty sure the increased amount of players will promote them to make changes.

EDIT: Note that the question at Blizzcon was about porting to modern systems. If that includes OS X, then that is actually really good. It means Blizz will have to update their wc3 BNet technology to BNet 2.0, since open transport doesn't work on the latest versions of OS X. That alone would be an awesome change, since it would make BNet a lot more bearable without a need for hosting bots.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Chances of them porting to BattleNet 2.0 is low. However you will probably find that you can start WC3 from the battlenet launcher and download it via the launcher. It will also show that you are playing WC3 to your friends. However it will probably still use BattleNet 1.0 and any external chat will probably be done using an overlay of sorts.

In any case I hope the kill all the robots so people can actually play again.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Even though this is all good news and I am happy that it is happening, we are most likely getting nothing when it comes to changes/improvements to Warcraft III and/or its editor.

It saddens me that Blizzard cannot spend just a little bit of time to make "quality of life" improvements to the Editor. I am sure it will take Blizzard employees no more than few days to touch things here and there - nothing major, but at the same time very necessary.

I'll give a simple example: A unit is attacked event in Warcraft 3. This trigger event occurs when a unit begins its attack animation instead of when it deals damage with the attack. Yes, I know that over the years, ways to go around that problem have been found, but think about it for a second: How long will it take for Blizzard to make the following event: A unit takes damage from an attack or something similar? I bet it's nothing. This is just a tiny example of minor improvement that can have major effect when it comes to editing. Many of you will probably bring up the point that basically any company "technically" CAN go back to their old games and improve them, since time goes on and technology improves, but none of them does simply because it's an "old game" for a reason and that if Blizzard wants a better working Warcraft, they will just make Warcraft 4 and won't bother with this one. Well, you are probably right, but I just want to see those tiny little things that are very annoying get fixed. We can't even store all integer values into an integer variable. You can't detect the armor amount of a unit. Another example of tiny issue.

Again I say this: I seriously doubt any changes will happen with the implementation of Warcraft III into the Battle.net Launcher, but I keep my hopes up.

Peace.

Level 29
It should be better now. The reason why it asks you to re-download the entire sc2 client is because it couldn't locate your sc2 installation. They have options to show the app where your installation is.
I bothered to check again and its still the same. Install path is correct and did auto-detect correctly on its own, yet still wants to re-dl the entire thing.
If someone can help me with this please do so.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It saddens me that Blizzard cannot spend just a little bit of time to make "quality of life" improvements to the Editor. I am sure it will take Blizzard employees no more than few days to touch things here and there - nothing major, but at the same time very necessary.
The same amount of time they could spend improving SC2 with new assets or features, or the same amount of time it would take to add 1-2 more useful legendary items to Diablo III.

How long will it take for Blizzard to make the following event: A unit takes damage from an attack or something similar? I bet it's nothing.
Probably a very long time as you may find that WC3 damage handling does not know what source the damage was from. Do not think something will be easy because it sounds easy.

Many of you will probably bring up the point that basically any company "technically" CAN go back to their old games and improve them, since time goes on and technology improves, but none of them does simply because it's an "old game" for a reason and that if Blizzard wants a better working Warcraft, they will just make Warcraft 4 and won't bother with this one. Well, you are probably right, but I just want to see those tiny little things that are very annoying get fixed. We can't even store all integer values into an integer variable. You can't detect the armor amount of a unit. Another example of tiny issue.
Actually a lot of the time they cannot "go back" to their old games. You may find that many of the key core engine code writers have long since left Blizzard. This means that people who have no former experience writing the engine are left to maintain it. This not only results in abysmal productivity as they have to read and trace hundreds of thousands of lines of code, but also becomes a major source of error.

You know how choosing some GUI hashtable actions causes the editor to crash? Well that is exactly what I am talking about! The maintainers who added hashtable had no idea what a mess GUI was and so were not aware that the types they linked to were special GUI types and not the JASS types they developed for.

Level 6
I would like to be an enemy here so..

Its just a small update and they have 2 new games which give them more profit like the Hots and Hearthstone.

All they want is money and they can't get enough money from Warcraft III since there is already a Starcraft and about Warcraft there is WoW.

So yeah they make effort to a game where they can gain money.

Remember "Expectations postponed is making the heart sick". So don't expect too much in this little update.

This is probably their counter-action of producing something from the results of Titan's cancel. I guess.

They should just start developing those unreleased games such as Warcraft Adventures and Starcraft: Ghost. But the problem is that Blizzard lacked developers to develop Titan, it had numerous empty job entries listed in the job section that related to Next-Gen MMO. Thus it led to a downfall of restart > cancellation. Blizzard is no longer a company that had passion for video games.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
But the problem is that Blizzard lacked developers to develop Titan, it had numerous empty job entries listed in the job section that related to Next-Gen MMO. Thus it led to a downfall of restart > cancellation. Blizzard is no longer a company that had passion for video games.
No? They cancelled it because it was not fun or the image they wanted for a game. They had no problem with staff, even snipping some of the sims developers to try and create more immersive NPCs.

You see the thing with World of Warcraft is that you are a hero, you are always a hero and you go around in your hero gear 24/7 never sleeping. In Titan they wanted you to have two lives in the game, a casual life detached from gameplay and a game life where you go around killing monsters and saving the world etc. Sound good? Well not to me as I play stuff to play not to not play.

A lot of people you hear online play World of Warcraft to escape reality to some degree. In the game they can be a somebody where as in real life they are stacking shelves at the local super market. The last thing people would want would be a game where they are also stacking shelves in it.

No? They cancelled it because it was not fun or the image they wanted for a game. They had no problem with staff, even snipping some of the sims developers to try and create more immersive NPCs.

You see the thing with World of Warcraft is that you are a hero, you are always a hero and you go around in your hero gear 24/7 never sleeping. In Titan they wanted you to have two lives in the game, a casual life detached from gameplay and a game life where you go around killing monsters and saving the world etc. Sound good? Well not to me as I play stuff to play not to not play.

A lot of people you hear online play World of Warcraft to escape reality to some degree. In the game they can be a somebody where as in real life they are stacking shelves at the local super market. The last thing people would want would be a game where they are also stacking shelves in it.

Let me guess, that's what you read on Kotaku? I am just saying a fact, most entry jobs that had to do with NextGen MMO were listed in the jobs section, they needed those developers. Yet they were empty, yes they did have a few of people from Sims 3/4. I am not talking about World of Warcraft, where did you even read that??

Level 12
I am clearly on DSG's side here. A company like Blizzard doesn't cancel such a game because they can not find enough developers, that would be ridiculous as a reason and is just too improbable.

The concept did not work.

sort of ontopic: What would be the best place to post my 1.27 suggestion list for Blizzard to see? (except from raiding Blizzard headquarters)
I know the chances are 0.000...0001% but one can try.

Level 16
Well, patch 1.25 and 1.26 came years after 1.24, if I'm not mistaken, so you may never know. Not that the time wasn't enough for anyone to write their own game engine from scratch, though, if they wanted to, and they wouldn't have to worry about 'this' or 'that' being impossible to do.

Level 17

1317247736981.png

Level 13
DSG is right and the news with those models is pretty old.
If Blizzard would update WC3 with HQ models they would get my full respect but I don't think this will happen since they are made for SC2, initially.
Also the number of models Blizzard would have to rework could be too huge for just an update, which also would have to include performance / engine updates.
So, don't connect those news ^^

Sorta irrelevant, but my launcher can't locate WarCraft III, only StarCraft II (the latter being in Program Files (x86), whereas the former is in Program Files); although I have updated the directory, it still doesn't detect it.

I think the launcher requires authenticated War3 on Battle.Net??

Sorta irrelevant, but my launcher can't locate WarCraft III, only StarCraft II (the latter being in Program Files (x86), whereas the former is in Program Files); although I have updated the directory, it still doesn't detect it.

Warcraft III isn't implemented into the launcher yet. There are just some files for it that may indicate Blizzard implementing it soonTM. Right now, the launcher only supports Sc2, WoW, D3, and Hearthstone.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Even though this is all good news and I am happy that it is happening, we are most likely getting nothing when it comes to changes/improvements to Warcraft III and/or its editor.

I'll give a simple example: A unit is attacked event in Warcraft 3. This trigger event occurs when a unit begins its attack animation instead of when it deals damage with the attack. Yes, I know that over the years, ways to go around that problem have been found, but think about it for a second: How long will it take for Blizzard to make the following event: A unit takes damage from an attack or something similar? I bet it's nothing. This is just a tiny example of minor improvement that can have major effect when it comes to editing. Many of you will probably bring up the point that basically any company "technically" CAN go back to their old games and improve them, since time goes on and technology improves, but none of them does simply because it's an "old game" for a reason and that if Blizzard wants a better working Warcraft, they will just make Warcraft 4 and won't bother with this one. Well, you are probably right, but I just want to see those tiny little things that are very annoying get fixed. We can't even store all integer values into an integer variable. You can't detect the armor amount of a unit. Another example of tiny issue.

Again I say this: I seriously doubt any changes will happen with the implementation of Warcraft III into the Battle.net Launcher, but I keep my hopes up.

Peace.
This. (though Dr. Super Good raises a pertinent rebuttal).

Although to be honest, as amazingly-useful as a "Unit is Damaged" event would be... I would have a hard time deciding (if I had the choice) between that or a new Tavern/Neutral Hero addition. :<

I love those...

hmn a wc3 HD remake could be a reality. Since they cancelled titan, they had 100 developers on that. i doubt all the team went into Heroes of the Storm or Hearthstone. Diablo and woW team were pretty filled. I think it could be possible if they remake it under the Sc2 Engine as Heroes of the Storm. My guess is that blizzard realised that the Sc2 engine could be exploited for way more than just Sc2. I also have my suspitions since the Wc3 remake models were kinda shelved, probably they realised that they don't need to spend too much on a HD remake since they could just do fast conversions by improving art and cinematics and improving the Galaxy wc3 map convertor to convert maps even further than just terrain.

It makes sense since, normaly, development time is mostly wasted on the engine and design. They already have a better engine, all the lore, cinematics, cutscenes and gameplay balance they need.

Level 16
hmn a wc3 HD remake could be a reality. Since they cancelled titan, they had 100 developers on that. i doubt all the team went into Heroes of the Storm or Hearthstone. Diablo and woW team were pretty filled. I think it could be possible if they remake it under the Sc2 Engine as Heroes of the Storm. My guess is that blizzard realised that the Sc2 engine could be exploited for way more than just Sc2. I also have my suspitions since the Wc3 remake models were kinda shelved, probably they realised that they don't need to spend too much on a HD remake since they could just do fast conversions by improving art and cinematics and improving the Galaxy wc3 map convertor to convert maps even further than just terrain.

It makes sense since, normaly, development time is mostly wasted on the engine and design. They already have a better engine, all the lore, cinematics, cutscenes and gameplay balance they need.

This pretty much sums up what I've been thinking/secretly hoping. But honestly, they could as well go so far as creating WC4. They have their pretty potent engine, it wouldn't be too hard, and given how big of a success WC3 was (it's still somewhat alive, after 10+ years), I wouldn't be surprised to see that. Or if maybe not now, then in the future. I'd looooove that. And for once, it seems that there is a chance for that. Not too big, but still.

Let's hope for the best.

Level 23
on the other hand, while browsing throught the Carrers on Blizzard's website, I found this:

"Unannounced Games/Projects"
3D Artist
3D Weapons Artist
Art Outsource Associate
FX Artist
Lead 3D Character Artist
Senior Animator
Senior Game designer
Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer, Console
Software Engineer, Graphics / Engine

So one never knows. And no, Blablablba of the storm is listed there

This pretty much sums up what I've been thinking/secretly hoping. But honestly, they could as well go so far as creating WC4. They have their pretty potent engine, it wouldn't be too hard, and given how big of a success WC3 was (it's still somewhat alive, after 10+ years), I wouldn't be surprised to see that. Or if maybe not now, then in the future. I'd looooove that. And for once, it seems that there is a chance for that. Not too big, but still.

Let's hope for the best.

Wc4 is very unlikely. For that, they need to work on a new engine and actualy design it up from the start. Also WoW is still going on so they can't work on the history until WoW ends.

What I think it's likely:

1st They will announce commercial selling of Mods through Sc2 arcade.
2nd Sell their own mods within Sc2.

Now I believe that if they are indeed working on something refered to Warcraft RTS it is one of this:

1st Adaptation of Wc3 to B.net 2.0.
2nd HD Remake of Wc1/Wc2.
3rd HD Remake of Wc3.

A HD Remake of Wc1 and Wc2 could earn them a lot since most of their playerbase never touched these games. We also have heard from Blizzard that they got some guys looking into updating these games. I'm not sure if they are updating them to run on newer versions of Windows and/or mobile/tablets, OR if they actualy trying an HD Remake that sets them up better for current art style and lore.

Those War1, War2, War3 remakes will be ugly cartoonish. I wish they would keep the dark gritty style. Also what will Hive do with the 'old' War3, and will it add support for those remakes? Since I suppose remakes would use updated War3 (or SC2) Engine, isn't it obvious?

Tough I think that these are just simple ports just like Blackthorne game that was ported recently. They will port them from DOS into PC with some control changes..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
In case people have not noticed, Blizzard is slowly retiring the MPQ format. World of Warcraft no longer uses MPQs and neither does Heroes of the Storm. I guess StarCraft II Legacy of the Void will also migrate away from MPQs and I would imagine Heartstones and Diablo III will follow soon after.

If this applies for user content is unlikely however it does mean that trying to modify the games is probably going to not work as the game will automatically correct itself whenever connected to the internet. Additionally Blizzard will hotfix clients.

If older games like Diablo II or Warcraft III were released using this content delivery system then many popular modifications would no longer operate. Certainly the local file trick will not.

Level 7
Warcraft III isn't implemented into the launcher yet. There are just some files for it that may indicate Blizzard implementing it soonTM. Right now, the launcher only supports Sc2, WoW, D3, and Hearthstone.

You forgot Heroes of the Storm :ogre_hurrhurr:

In case people have not noticed, Blizzard is slowly retiring the MPQ format. World of Warcraft no longer uses MPQs and neither does Heroes of the Storm. I guess StarCraft II Legacy of the Void will also migrate away from MPQs and I would imagine Heartstones and Diablo III will follow soon after.

If this applies for user content is unlikely however it does mean that trying to modify the games is probably going to not work as the game will automatically correct itself whenever connected to the internet. Additionally Blizzard will hotfix clients.

If older games like Diablo II or Warcraft III were released using this content delivery system then many popular modifications would no longer operate. Certainly the local file trick will not.

And what is this supposed to mean? Something like Blizzard is thinking about unification of they engine? :ogre_icwydt:

Status
Not open for further replies.