• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trial Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Trial Import

Gather around everyone. I have made a trial import of all data on The Hive Workshop onto the Beta site. The beta site now contains the latest version of the site and all data until about two days ago. I want you to take a hard look at the site. Try to login using your account. Look at your resources and your posts. Look at the site. Is anything missing or out of place? Is anything broken?

Everything except galleries is imported. There is not enough space to have two of everything for a prolonged period of time, so you just have to imagine how the galleries look. They will of course all be imported when we do the real import. I am confident that they work and that you will be happy with them as the XenForo Media Gallery really is awesome.

Social groups are missing. I have decided to ditch them. However, ALL discussions remain. Right now you can see them located here. This is not debatable so don't waste time talking about it.

I want you to test the site. Upload resources, delete them, break them, sell them. Enter the chat and crash it, kill it, burn it. Find all bugs before we move. It's much better to find all problems prior to moving.

If no bugs are found, I plan to schedule the final import in two weeks' time. If not, we'll see if I manage to fix the bugs before that deadline.

Do you find the new site to be slick but not very impressive? Allow me to explain why. This is the MINIMAL amount of work needed to move the site off vBulletin and onto XenForo. Basically it just has the systems needed to manage the data we already had (resource sections, pastebin, chat, rep). The real work starts now. Now where I don't have to maintain two versions of the site. You can expect many new features to show up and a few old ones that did not make the cut just yet.

Oh and by the way. The import of data (except user galleries) takes at least 16 hours. So the site may be down for at least 24 hours when the process is initiated.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Quick half awake thoughts about the design and some technical stuff.

Technical

• Avatars are one size only; smaller images are automatically rescaled. Don't like it.
  • Can't access chat. "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."
  • Members List has a tab for Most Likes even if the feature isn't used.
  • Dummy forums for resources are visible.
  • Missing forum icons.
  • Join date and post count not listed under avatar.

Design

• There is no separating line between sticky threads and normal threads.
  • Awards should be under the reputation gems.
  • Portal needs some work.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Some issues/bugs:
1. Chat is not working.
2. Threads are bugged, they don't look the way it supposed to be. Example: http://beta.roflmania.com/threads/nightmares-texturing-creations.270120/. BBCODES?
3. Some signatures doesn't show up like mine. Maybe because of the import? I haven't done anything with the signature i.e editing it.
4. I can upload a resource(skin) but I could upload a TGA file instead of a BLP file
5. I don't like how I could select the model I want the skin to be used in the viewer. I can't find the default one. Test it here: http://beta.roflmania.com/threads/test.283463/

That's all for now.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
These are what I found:
- All of my resources are displayed in my profile page, including deleted and needs fix ones.
- BB codes are not fully working yet. Specifically
, I don't know about the other tables. My thread is kind of broken.
- Resource file size displayed above is not the same as the file size displayed at bottom.
- At home page, the avatar oversizes it's container box.

Suggestions:
- Page indexes better be displayed both at the top and the bottom part of resource list.
- Add border to resource preview (thumbnail). It's neater.
- In Spell Resource section, the displayed resource name should be the uploaded filename excluding the extension instead of the map name. Spell makers used to ignore the map name. That's why there are a lot of "Just another Warcraft III map" there.

I will edit if I find more.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Thanks for all feedback. I am writing notes but only asking questions if I need more info.

Most of these things are minor which is good. Also, they're something we can live with for a while if we have to. I am more hoping that you will find bugs with uploading/updating, the pastebin or the chat. Those are the components I have worked on.

Fladder
- Portal needs what work?

~Nightmare
2. The table system does work if you use the [td] and [tr] BBcodes correctly. It is more anal for sure but it's also safer. Try messing around. Also, always remember to have td's inside tr's and close all tags appropriately, like this:
[TABLE] [tr][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][/tr] [tr][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][/tr] [/TABLE]
3. Yeah, your signature is weird. Are you using tables wrong?
4. What do you mean?
5. You mean it's showing too many models and the default Warden is too hard to find?

Quilnez
- I think the avatar looks alright moving out of the box. Is that just me?

Level 12
Am I right that this import is not final and will be deleted again, so we can mess around and even try to wreck our own accounts?

One thing that just comes to my mind I'd like to see on the new forum: It would be good if users are strongly encouraged to upload images directly to the hive, and not to some external link. Often it was and it will be the case that external images stop working, wrecking guides and other threads.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
I mean that when I upload a skin in the old hive with a file extension .tga I cannot upload it while on the other site I can upload files with that extension. And yes, there are so many models to choose from. You could either use dropdown or comboboxes (whatever you want)

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Ezekiel12
Yes indeed. Break it. Kill it. Everything will be deleted again.
Yes I have thoughts about this too. Something else I could do was to use a feature in XenForo that caches linked images forever.

~Nightmare
You mean that the skins system does not permit .TGA. Is that it?
What about models?
Icons?

Moy

Moy

Level 49
I know what you're up to :xxd: *Resources* hihi *evil plans* *Chaosy is planning something*

@Ralle: I mean I could upload a TGA file.

Also the chat seems to be weird. First of all, the avatars are broken. Secondly, it doesn't scroll down automatically when there's a new reply/message. Thirdly, the page stretches when the message is too long. And lastly, the height is so small.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Last edited:
Level 22
Technical (only a few so far):
  • Some icons (shown in image below/attached) do not work.
  • Outer borders of a table does not display properly.
  • Hidden tags inside tabs do not work properly.
  • I don't know if this is of importance but some discussions were not imported in "Social Groups" forum.. is there something wrong with the importer? I worry that some discussions worthy of being archived and recorded would be lost forever...

Suggestion:
  • I think we should add some borders in this (the space displaying subforums):
    attachment.php
  • Can you restore the good ol' black highlighter spoilers?
  • And, if possible, move all active RP discussions from "Social Groups" over to the Roleplaying thread?

I may report more problems as I continue testing the site, this is all for now,

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    162 KB · Views: 551
Level 15
Hey ralle.

I've checked on map description ( I did a lot of work with bbcode on this) and there are some little variations that could be revised. Of course I don't know if it's intentional or not. (nvm, I just read the top square with your advertisement xD, delete this if you want)

- bb code
doesn't work.
- spoiler frame color doesn't fit with theme colors. (same with font color)
- Youtube embedded not activated.

test page
current page

new site looks super cool!.
thanks for all your work ralle.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The customize rank feature looks pretty broken. customizerank.png

Fladder
- Portal needs what work?
It's just kind of bland. If we take the one we have here for reference, it loads more than one news article, and it lists newest and most downloaded resources.

But if we're on technical aspects right now, we can leave that alone until later.

What are "the good ol' black highlighter spoilers"?
He probably means
this

Here's my notes so far.

Technical
  • Color tags seem broken and they aren't supposed to change the color of JASS tags
  • The model viewer crashes chrome for me (only on my laptop). WebGL error.
  • Some of the resources in my profile are not submitted by me. (appears to be spells I moderated)
  • My profile shows my rejected / outdated resources.
  • Chatroom has no rank icons.
  • Link says "chat" not "Chat".
  • The HTML for the "are you a bot question" on the registration page isn't parsed.
  • My name doesn't fit on the postbit, it gets pushes to the next line (at least on my laptop).
  • I think the "Substandard / Too Simple" sections are supposed to be hidden.
  • The "New Posts" section on the forum index gives an error when clicking a link to a resource. (example)
  • JASS Tags have no overflow control.
  • JASS Tags should not have the text centered when using [center][/center] (this still happens for the title "Code (vJASS):").
  • A lot of spells don't have a map name, and it shows "Just another Warcraft III map" (maybe just show the title/filename if the name == to that).
  • This resource's BBCode didn't get parsed properly. I think there are others like it.
  • give the trigger tags a fixed width (that doesn't stretch the page ..). Also it currently overflows outside of the white and onto the forum.
  • bdreputation_reputation in profile and postbit.
Personal
  • Chatroom div should be bigger. Also usernames in the lobby go to the next line if they are long / have status.
  • I think the resources section is little flat right now. It needs the tooltip border around preview images. Maybe also add some borders to the table columns/rows.
  • The button to add a resource is very small and can be missed.
  • Should be able to sort by reputation on the members page.
  • Maybe the JASS resources forum should be hidden from the index, and listed on the resource section.
  • Searching for resources should be improved. If you search something in a resource section it will take you to the results page. Now if you want to search that same resource section again you have to click back otherwise it will search the entire forum.
  • On the submit resource page there are two "Create Resource" buttons. I would also un-center the "Tags:" section.
  • For maps, why do we need to upload a screenshot?
  • Map Info should be visible without clicking a link.
  • Postbit should show join date / post count.

Last edited:
Level 22
Here are some remarks about the ressources page (especially models page but most remarks should be valid for other ressources too):

1. The only way i found to search into ressources was the global forum search, but then the results page has not the ressources layout (no thumbnails...). You should add a special search feature on top of the filters tab. I think this is very important.

2. I think it's wrong to have subforums for submissions, too simple and directors cut. These categories could become filter tags instead (i suggest having a "Quality" tag: directors cut, approved, simple, pending)

3. It would be more clear if you have borders between rows in the ressources list.

4. It would be nice to be able to switch to a grid view of ressources instead of list view.

Level 7
I logged in and clicked on the link to my alerts in the upper-right corner. The alerts are all rep notifications (do these really need to be alerts?) and they appear to be broken, they all say "bdreputation_x_gave_y_points_for_your_post_in_the_thread_z bdreputation_x_also_wrote:" instead of the actual names/links of the person and thread. It also shows an avatar icon next to each notification but most of them are question marks on a grey background which is a) ugly and b) probably incorrect since I doubt this high percentage of users don't use avatars, but I can't say for sure. Actually, now that I look at the forums, almost all users have a question mark avatar.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The BB code for horizontal rule is missing.

The alerts are all rep notifications (do these really need to be alerts?)
You can set personal preferences for what you want alerts/notification for. http://beta.roflmania.com/account/alert-preferences

But yeah, we should probably look over which options should be ticked by default. Notifications can be awesome, but the general assumption on the interwebs these days seems to be that everyone wants to be notified if people so much as sneeze. It's kind of Orwellian.

I'm looking at the models section right now and I'd love to have a Clear Filters button in there. I also liked having a button to go to my submitted resources, but it's not terribly inconvenient for me to filter it by the author and type my username in. Currently I can also see all the Substandard/Too Simple resource sections. Are these supposed to be visible to non-staff members?

I also noticed my user title was put to Well-Known User, which makes me sound like a total asshole. I realize I can change it. I was just wondering if this is an intended feature. Lastly, when I hover over my name I have an option for Custom Rank and the only choice is "Test". I assume the other ranks simply haven't been implemented yet.

Going forward, something that I've always wanted was a 3D viewer for Skins. Taking the corresponding model and swapping out a texture doesn't seem like it would be too tough, but what do I know. I don't like relying on the screenshots when downloading.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
I posted in the Beta Test thread, but Ralle seems to be responding here so I'll just paste my comments again here:

I have multiple notes/suggestions. I'll try to be as compact as possible, keep in mind that I am just sharing observations and opinions.

• BB code bugs. Details below.
  • You have the tabs on top (Home, Forums, Media, etc). Resources is last from left to right. Imo, it should be probably immediately after forums.
  • Once you click the "Resources" tab, Maps is nearly at the bottom. Again, I think it should be on top. Models, spells and skins... everything goes into Maps, so they should be on top if you ask me.
  • I don't like how sticky treads are not nicely separated from the rest like before.
  • Not a fan of how the new Rep Gems look, but that might be only me.
  • No more "Top 20" of resources?
  • Resources in classic hive are separated by rows, kind of like a table. In hive 2.0, you don't have that. The 'rows' make it feel more organized and easier to differentiate resources from one another. Here,
    186388-albums6678-picture107792.png

186388-albums6678-picture107793.png

BB Codes Bug Info:
-
seems not to work only if no "title" for it is given, like [hidden=""] for example.
-This ^ seems to be bugging code after it, like

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I also noticed my user title was put to Well-Known User, which makes me sound like a total asshole. I realize I can change it. I was just wondering if this is an intended feature.
Yeah the plan is to make it official and have people move up the douchebag ladder the more posts they accumulate. :D

No but really, it's a default post-based rank in XenForo, I'm pretty sure. I think I can safely speak for the entire administration when I say we have no intentions of using it.

Going forward, something that I've always wanted was a 3D viewer for Skins. Taking the corresponding model and swapping out a texture doesn't seem like it would be too tough, but what do I know. I don't like relying on the screenshots when downloading.
AFAIK there are plans for viewers in all resource categories where it makes sense to have one.

suggestions
The design isn't final, what we're testing now is just the porting of all the data.

-[hidden] seems not to work only if no "title" for it is given, like [hidden=""] for example.
It's always needed the title option. [hidden]content[/hidden] doesn't parse here either.

This seems to be bugging code after...
Confirmed. BB code wrapped in [hidden]-tags doesn't parse right.

[size] probably uses a different code to determine the size now?
It's just different font settings. The tag itself works exactly like it did before.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Okay I have encountered some issues today.
1. I cannot edit my resource specifically in the skin & icons section, I can't seem to find any link or button that would edit my resource.
2. I can add polls to a resource. It may seem odd but I like it :xxd:
3. File size differences. Here, the size of my Ascension Revenant is 257.22 KB while on the Beta site is 514.44 KB which is doubled. I guess because of the compression? I don't know.

Level 19
Among other BB-Code problems the BB-Code for JASS code [code=jass][/code] displays all lines and the entire width.
In the old hompage the line counter was limited to ~30,
then you got the option to scroll up/down and left/right.

Compare:
Beta
Current

In the posted examples the keywords were placed at the wrong position.
At the bottom of the JASS script and the JASS code was only half imported.

Level 22
Looks nice thus far. I noticed that my Reputation list is written as bdreputation_reputation.
In my personal details, the "are you a bot" question is written as <span style="color: red; font-size: 18px;">Are you a bot!?</span> and there are three options (No selection, No, Yes).
Also, I wish I could edit my information directly from my profile page. Not really important though.

Level 22
Did you see the forum containing ALL social group discussions? I linked to it in the first post.

Yes, but when I used the "Search Forums" tool I can't find some discussions. They were just missing.

What are "the good ol' black highlighter spoilers"?
This. It's better to offer both spoiler styles in my opinion.

I'm not sure I like this new hive. I usually don't like changes, so maybe I'll get used to it...
A few issues though:
-User resources (when viewed from the user's profile) are not cathegorized, but instead it is all in one shitcake.
-Rejected resources are not rejected... (Dafuq) and they show up in the user resources menu.
-Moderator reviews appear as comments and look really flat, they should be distinguishable from the other comments.
-Add rep buttons don't show up.
-The "C" in chat is not capitalized. It's driving me nuts.
-I don't think showing post descriptions under added reputation is really necessary. It is actually a bit confusing.
-Dafuq is with this media button, I think it is pretty pointless...
-Some forum icons are missing...

That is all for now. I haven't been able to take a good look, but I'll be sure to when I get home and see if there are any resolution issues (I'm on 5:4 monitor :p).
I also have no idea why you removed the social groups, but I'll go with it.

Also I'm interested in how the hell you're going to redirect all the links that link to the old hive... Seems like a pretty big issue to me, unless the new hive uses the same links...

Moy

Moy

Level 49
You seem didn't read the whole thread :xxd:

Ralle said that we should find bugs. Test out the site technically. The granted overall look of the site will be altered when the site is technically clean. The media button is somewhat like the albums but the images are not yet imported. The groups is I think in the process. The domain of the site will still be the same (hiveworkshop.com) while the beta site will be dropped. So links will still be the same. Well that's all I know as a programmer and as a follower of the Hive 2.

I tried it out for a bit, other than things mentioned here I noted:
- Descriptive Tags aren't imported from existing resources (at least on spells) this being the ones that you can type yourself for relevancy
- Resource type search filtering is meaningless in the spell section
- Rating resources doesn't appear possible (if it is it's rather unclear)
- Giving people 0 rep reads as "took away 0 rep"
- In the chat, if you have a long username (like mine) and use the /@ function, the username falls down onto the next line (the status may also run on to another line - I managed to occupy 3 lines of the chat list by myself)

as a side note it feels really weird with all the resources separated and different names for them (calling them "Bundles") not that it's a bad thing rather that it's just very disorienting: Something we'd need to get used to

I just noticed I can post models directly to the Director's Cut section. I can't access the page when I click on the link to the submission in the "New Posts" section. I get the following error: "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." Same deal when I try to click the Latest Post in the Models forum. I can access the page, however, if I navigate to it a page at a time (Resources > Models > Director's Cut > My Resource). I can do this whether I am logged in to my account or not. I also don't agree with capping profile posts to 140 characters. I get not wanting to have long messages showing in the "New Profile Posts" section on the root page of Forums, but I don't think this is sufficient reason to cap them. Can you make the "New Profile Posts" only show the first 140 characters of a message? If not, I'd rather just not have the new posts shown at all.

Level 2
Should create more styles for the beta site, bone apart from the style of the elves and the Terrans, should put more styles of most races of the warcraft and starcraft :)

Level 22
Update: I found the discussion, however most of the newer posts (even those posted before December last year) was absent.

I think those posts could be kept for historical purposes, and if people want to continue the RP, they can continue. The problem is most of those posts made months before aren't there...

• Size tag seems going haywire, ones with +X. LINK
  • some tags related with table and shadow table got broken. LINK
  • Where's the avatars?
  • About Resources, I would say the current one being going on is good, except the ones that got Rejected should be hidden, but needs fix should stay there :)
  • For rep icons, I guess the new ones would be great, can we keep them? Pretty please with cherry on top :D

I posted this around 1 AM, so mind some oddities.

Level 24
I've not read everyones reports so I don't know if I'm late on some or all of these but here we go:

mPE3n4O.png

* As can be seen from this image a lot of the text to the left does not appear.
* Also can be seen in the picture, even though my avatar picture is transparent next to "update your status" it appears with a white background. (This also appears in forums.
J9kcbTG.png

* When I tried to upload an avatar image I can not (unlike in the old version) select an avatar image through a url file but had to download the image and then upload it from my computer.
* Unlike the old version Hive does not scale to my monitors size. (In the bottom of my first image you can see the scrolling bar.)

Level 12
I've not read everyones reports so I don't know if I'm late on some or all of these but here we go:

mPE3n4O.png

* As can be seen from this image a lot of the text to the left does not appear.
* Also can be seen in the picture, even though my avatar picture is transparent next to "update your status" it appears with a white background. (This also appears in forums.
J9kcbTG.png

* When I tried to upload an avatar image I can not (unlike in the old version) select an avatar image through a url file but had to download the image and then upload it from my computer.
* Unlike the old version Hive does not scale to my monitors size. (In the bottom of my first image you can see the scrolling bar.)

Building onto this, it seems to be an issue with the page being rendered in Firefox only.

Firefox Developer Edition 47.0a2 (2016-04-15)
Chrome 49.0.2623.112m
Edge 25.10586.0.0, EdgeHTML 13.10586

Regarding uploading an avatar image, that's a design choice, not a bug. If you mean you can't enter a URL into the file selection dialog that's something with Windows, not the browser or website.

The site scales to the browser if it's being rendered properly, like in Chrome and Edge. It just has this issue in Firefox. It's also isolated to the Night Elf theme - the default XenForo theme doesn't have this issue and renders perfectly on Firefox.

As for transparency, it seems like XenForo doesn't support transparency, and it removes the alpha channel when you upload an avatar. It replaces PNG alpha channels with a white background, and GIFs get a black background. What's interesting about this is that Ralle has a transparent animated GIF that shows up with a .JPG extension, but has proper (albeit binary) GIF transparency. Furthermore, his avatar is 135KB large, but the maximum file size that the upload dialog lets you use is 50KB. This leads me to believe that the upload dialog seriously needs to be reworked. Images are resized down to 200px, but the alpha channel is ignored in the process. Ralle got around this by manually swapping his avatar and skipping the dialog altogether.

Oh man, first post in four years and it's about reporting a rendering bug.

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Haha! Welcome back. My avatar has no transparency and was uploaded through the user profile as the rest of you. I will look into the transparency issue.

I just checked.

1. Animated gifs work
2. Gifs get a black background
3. Pngs retain transparent background

XenForo always store avatars as .jpg even though internally they may be .gif or .png:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/animated-gif-avatars-renamed-to-jpg.112558/
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/avatar-png-jpg-problem.111041/

Status
Not open for further replies.