• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Merit Badge #3 - The Light is Within Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture63163.png

160036-albums4747-picture69518.png
Continuing the legacy that was recently implemented in our Awards section, Merit Badge nomination thread has returned for you to reveal the heroic members that you admire, fancy and respect.

Before you begin with nominations, you should keep in mind:

• The previous nomination thread, so as to become acquainted with the process.
  • The Merit Badge ~ Insight update.
  • The new nomination-type, called "Shadow Dancer". Shadow Dancer is elected by moderators only. Users who successfully bring problematic posts to the Staff's attention and thus contribute to the supervision of the site will be nominated.
    Shadow Dancer: Reflects a user that has deep understanding of the rules system and is loyal to them.

(Tip: The name is associated with shadows, since the user is acting in the background of the forum's activities, the latter being inaccessible to public eyes.)

160036-albums4747-picture69516.png

Please, use the following form to nominate the members of your choice:

UserReasonPosition
Random_UserThis is my reason and this one is mineCommunity Excellence
User 2Reason 2Position 2
[TABLE]

[tr][TD]User[/TD][TD]Reason[/TD][TD]Position[/TD][/tr]

[tr]
[TD]Random_User[/TD]
[TD]This is my reason and this one is mine[/TD]
[TD]Community Excellence[/TD]
[/tr]

[tr]
[TD]User 2[/TD]
[TD]Reason 2[/TD]
[TD]Position 2[/TD]
[/tr]

[/TABLE]

P.S.

• Only type the usernames;
  • Issue Reason is why you nominate someone (in the case of multiple users, indicate which username goes with which issued reason);
  • Position can be anything among:
    • Community's Excellence
    • Great Assistant
    • Glorious Artist
    • Grand Designer
Reminder : You cannot elect a Shadow Dancer, this is left to the moderators.

For more information, please view this page.

Nominations will last for 15 days and the poll will then be posted for 7 days.
Irrelevant posts or posts that are found to be pure blather, will be deleted.

Last edited:
Level 30
UserReasonPosition
PharaohPharaoh, such a helpful individual on the site. Tries his best to help everybody on the sections and also, he gives much importance to reports solving it accurately and making sure to satisfy both sides on a problem.Community Excellence

Last edited:
Level 25
Wouldn't it be easier to read if we used a form that didn't require clicking?

UserReasonPosition
User 2Reason 2Position 2

JASS:
[TABLE]

[tr]
[TD]Random_User[/TD]
[/tr]

[tr]
[TD]User 2[/TD]
[TD]Reason 2[/TD]
[TD]Position 2[/TD]
[/tr]

[/TABLE]

User

Issue Reason

Position

160036-albums4747-picture65323.png
  • Pharaoh_
  • Dr Super Good
  • PurgeandFire
160036-albums4747-picture69517.png
  • Pharaoh_: Reconciles conflicts between users in a positive and successful way.
  • Dr Super Good: Shares his wide spectrum of excessive knowledge in many categorys about methods to solve problems of any kind.
  • PurgeandFire: Deep skills in many aspects of game mechanics and always helpful with his great knowledge about WorldEditor and coding.
160036-albums4747-picture86370.png
  • Pharaoh_: Community Excellence
  • Dr Super Good: Great Assistant
  • PurgeandFire: Great Assistant

Level 13

UserReasonPosition
User 2Reason 2Position 2

JASS:
[TABLE]

[tr]
[TD]Random_User[/TD]
[/tr]

[tr]
[TD]User 2[/TD]
[TD]Reason 2[/TD]
[TD]Position 2[/TD]
[/tr]

[/TABLE]

I second that. The tabs are just stretching awfully.

UserReasonPosition
User 2Reason 2Position 2

JASS:
[TABLE]

[tr]
[TD]Random_User[/TD]
[/tr]

[tr]
[TD]User 2[/TD]
[TD]Reason 2[/TD]
[TD]Position 2[/TD]
[/tr]

[/TABLE]

Thank you, that one looks better.

UserReasonPosition
A Void (genin32)If you disagree with me on this, I'm going to have to report you for being useless/spam.Community Excellence
andreasaspenbergOur frontend computer professional, making sure everything works as expected.Community Excellence
RuiBecause he's the Homophobic titan.Community Excellence

Last edited:
UserReasonPosition
fladdermaskenThis is for making outstanding terrains and being a great source of inspiration.Glorious Artist
Sin'dorei300This guy is awesome when it comes to icons and modding them.Glorious Artist
FingolfinHe's a pretty awesome guy when it comes to modelling and social skills. I like his stance overall.Glorious Artist
Doctor Super GoodHe's sharing his vast knowledge of everything when it comes to helping others. He's basically a noteworthy ICON around.Great Assistant
Hell_MasterA very active and helpful person around WEHZ.Community Excellence

Last edited:

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
UserReasonPosition
Pharaoh_Pharaoh_ is like a support column for the Hive - keeps it alive and fresh. His presence makes me feel that this site is still going strong!Community's Excellence
APprojectJust a glorious terrainer. His work is unimagineable and astonishing. He takes Warcraft possibilities to a whole new level.Great Artist
Shadow FuryI've seen many of this user's reviews and comments. He is a true treasure to the Hive community. His reviews are aways just and helpful to others. He reminds me of the hive staff I've fist met when I joined the hive more than 4 years ago.Great Assistant
Hell_MasterThere isn't much that I can say that will be new about Hell_Master. I was around when he first showed up in the Hive and his contributions to this community are boundless. He dedicates a lot of time and work to help others and is always kind to everyone.Community's Excellence

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
haha ;) @Rui

UserReasonPosition
PurgeAndFireBeing the all knowing being you can allways relay on when it comes to triggering issues either jass or guiGreat Assistant
IcemanBoBeen an really active helper for a good while now, he got like 80% post participation in the WEHZGreat Assistant
Sin'dorei300This guy is so damn fast when it comes to moderating icons. He has also made some damn amazing DC icons since the last badge was awarded.Glorious Artist
Marcos DABHe never stops to amaze me with his icons which has been uploaded from time to time, always showing good quality and style. Personally my favorite icon creator.Glorious ArtistRazoshBeing the unofficial WoW and Hearthstone moderator, keeping both sections alive as good as he can. I think he should be valued more for that. Always starting entertaining debates about lore and gameplay.Community's Excellence
andreasaspenbergThis guy is clearly deserving the merit badge since he is a pure tech genius.Community's Excellence
Dr Super GoodThis couldn't leave him out of this. He has been helpful since the very day I joined the HiveworkshopGreat Assistant

[tr]

Last edited:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I will win this nomination!! :mwahaha:
UserReasonPosition
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence

UserReasonPosition
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Indeed ;D

Last edited:
Level 31
UserReasonPosition
sonofjayHe is always around with his smart, objective and honest opinions, he surely poured effort into keeping the community alive. He is the first and only one that popped in my mind for this.Community Excellence
PurgeandFireSaved my skin a TON of times, everytime I happened to appear in troubles, he always was here to help, he is surely active in help forums and he does a tremendous job in helping others.Great Assistant

Last edited:
Level 22
UserReasonPosition
GhostWolfModel Viewer and moreGrand Designer
rulerofiron99Provides assistance in T&S and WEHZGreat Assistant

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Your link to the previous nomination thread is faulty (it has " at the end)

UserReasonPosition
andreasaspenbergI enjoy reading his threads :) He always gives us puzzling IT problems he faces from day to day, from hackers without internet connection to all the kinds of viruses. I hope I'll hear more of his computer malfunctions in the future!Community Excellence
PurgeandFireHe made Hearstone tournaments into reality, also he's a very good moderator.Great Assistant
Pharaoh_Really good moderator, and I can see he cares about the community.Community Excellence
BPowerHe's on of the few / maybe only one active spell moderator at the moment, without him the spells section would be full of pending spells.Great Assistant

UserReasonPosition
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
Dalvengyr
sometimes
Helpful
Community Excellence
13 points to Dalvengyr!

Level 23
Is voting for two positions fine?

UserReasonPosition
PurgeandFireHe should be nominated and should be the one to receive this thing. He has contributed resources that are useful and usually gives the best answers you can find in WEHZ (Not like those half-assed guesses of some people. ~Like me. :>).Community Excellence & Great Assistant

Oh, and I didn't vote for Pharaoh_ since he already has one. But he still deserves one. :p

EDIT:
You can level up the merit badge though.
Oh, you can? lel.

EDIT 2:
PurgeandFire is the best.

Recent Proof:
I can agree that popularity and reputation interfere. But it is difficult to place restrictions on reputation, for many reasons.

Reputation is something that can drive a site. People like to receive appreciation. It may be a bit of a sad truth, but there are many examples out there. Just look at reddit or imgur. People fish for upvotes as if it is real money. And trust me, people go crazy over reputation/upvote injustice over there too. By nature, those sorts of systems are imperfect because they rely on user input. Users cannot be controlled. Restricting them more and more will only lead to dissatisfaction.

Regardless of morals, reputation plays a role into people's motivation to help. While that may be perceived as bad, it is kind of nice for the site as a whole. You hardly have threads without any replies (except in requests). New users also get some motivation to stay on the site (in any help forum, there are "one-and-done" posters). Now, I know you aren't saying to remove reputation or anything like that, but any changes must be weighed carefully so that they don't demotivate users.

It is possible to restrict it to more sections, but since all sections apart from off-topic have potential for "valid" reputation, I don't think that is necessary. As for restricting who can give rep (the thread owner), that may be detrimental considering there are a decent amount of forum-goers (myself included) who admitted to giving reputation to posts that have been helpful. Nothing is wrong with someone getting extra rep for a particularly helpful post, especially if it helps more than one person. And if someone comes in late to the thread to help someone other than the author, it is unfair that the helper wouldn't be able to be repped.

The reputation power of 1 thing is a neat idea. But I think there are too many associated issues. It would deflate everyone's rep (which might lead to some disappointment), but it would also nullify a lot of the rewards for contests. There are a lot of contests that just offer reputation rewards rather than icons (especially mini-contests), and it would be difficult to strain those out of all the reputation that people have been given.

I agree that 1 rep power is more fair, but it is (1) motivating to users (so they can give more reputation) (2) exciting for some users. Imagine you're a street performer. It feels nice when people throw chump change into your hat, but when Mr. Big-Shot sporting a swirly mustache, long top-hat, monocle, and flamboyant pants comes in and flashes some cash, you get a big thrill. And then you become hopeful that a similar man will return again. Fair? Not quite. Fun? Probably. Maybe I just like to preserve reputation's uniqueness. When it goes down to 1 power, it becomes even more like the "like" system. But due to the fact that reputation has varying power, can actually have comments, and isn't used the same way as a "like" or "upvote" on other sites, it becomes a different entity.

As for Chocolate Bunny Points, something like that may be considered for Hive 2. There was a discussion about it, I think. It would be a good alternative solution to the issue at hand.

Although, it is always good to remain hopeful. I'm not shutting down your suggestions, because this has actually been a case in the past. Before 2008 or 2009, users needed a certain reputation level to grant reputation at all. Otherwise they would end up giving 0 (maybe to prevent rep bots)? But that was problematic because a good portion of those asking for help were newer users. It was eventually changed, for the better IMO, and I believe it made a good difference. Similarly, off-topic got its reputation restriction at some point in time. That helped restore some validity to reputation as well. It isn't perfect, but it has had some good changes in the past. :) It is true that there are many cases of popularity-reputation, but I think there are even more "good" examples of reputation. As such, I believe there is still credibility in it. you just have to look hard enough, and believe. ;-;

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Nothing wrong with not taking it seriously. If you ask me, the idea is to have fun while showing appreciating to the people who deserve it.

Level 19
UserReasonPosition
AlagremmThere are no one alike Alagremm on the Hive Workshop - maybe that's the reason he is the member with the most profile views? He is a highly social member that reminds many of us that the Hive Workshop is more than just a resource station for Warcraft III mappers. For as long as I remember he has been a notable member in several of the most active social groups the Hive has to offer - few of you know these groups, but there are actually happening stuff there! When I first came here to the site, he taught me how to speak proper English, how to roleplay, how to terrain, and how to act around others on forum sites, over the cause of a few years. He might not have uploaded resources for people to use, but he is one of the few Hivers who have kept the term "roleplaying" alive ever since the Roleplaying forum went down, as result of the Zero Tolerance. Alagremm has long been a hero in the corner of the broad Hive community. Let's shine some light upon the everyday heroes who usually don't bathe in fame and popularity, for they deserve it!Community Excellence

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Glad to see this back. You can tell that this is a good idea by how serious everyone takes it.
What do you mean?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I promoted andreas as well, I enjoy his threads.

We shouldn't take internet that seriously, he reminds us of that.

Although there's no harm in taking the contest seriously of course :)

UserReasonPosition
andreasaspenbergHis contributions almost outmatch everyone else's. He is the one of the only users here that can make me smile every time I read something new he posts.Glorious Artist or Community's Excellence

He is just simply that amazing. Most of the users better already have their badges. I'd love to suggest others however I think this kitty deserves it this time around. :thumbs_up:
He kind of keeps the community alive, I visit this site more often thanks to awesome people.

UserReasonPosition
Pharaoh_Great thread designing, nice paragraphs, poems, quotes and visual imagery. An excellent designer for creating official and unofficial contests and threads, always supportive and in a line of duty as a moderator when it comes to reported content.Grand Designer
ApatheticHe is a highly an active member in the request section, made countless requests and always helps out when able to. A supportive figure in the community.Community's Excellence
PurgeandFireReasonable moderator in a line of helping and supporting. A great reviewer of the resources, content and a friendly part of the community with amazing knowledge in Warcraft III criteria.Great Assistant
FingolfinA highly anticipated modeling artist that made a large amount of model resources in a criteria of sci-fi, modern and futuristic categories.Glorious Artist
RalleThe owner of the site that holds this place from falling apart and maintaining the community, an excellent owner who will care for the future of The Hive to many great years and lengths.Grand Designer
tobyfat50He has hugely improved the morale of how Warcraft III can handle graphics and terraining, his work is highly appreciated when it comes to a game that started in approximately 1997 and still maintained good visuals.Glorious Artist

I will also update this post in addition to adding a new candidates.

Last edited:
UserReasonPosition
Pharaoh_Being a valuable member to the hive, capable of keeping threads with tensions in civil state, overall, a great member of the communityCommunity Excellence
Hell_Master Being a very valuable member to the community (also a very good friend), he has dedicated his work in the map section and help a bunch of newbies (noob, pardon me) to become good members for THW future. Community's Excellence
Rheiko I doubt many will remember him much lately, but he's a very helpful member around, he helped many people learn World Editor back when he's aroundGreat Assistant
Frankster His arts are one of the best arts I ever see, his models and icons are well made and pretty useful to many mapper in the community or outside of the community Glorious Artist
Ralle I guess there's no need to talk much about it right? Well, he's a very valuable person to THW! without him, THW might have not grown this far, his job in designing the site is more than enough to give him this award Grand Designer
PurgeandFire One of the best helper around, he helped me much when it comes to coding stuffs, I remember when I was a GUI noob asking bunch of stupid questions to some people, including him. Great Assistant
IcemanBo I guess Chaosy explains about him well? His helps in the WEHZ are very useful and his participation is high Great Assistant
Almia Almia is a helpful coder back when he was active, his resources are still very valuable to the community (ehm, GUI community for most part) Great Assistant
Sin'dorei 300 His arts are wonderful and they're very useful to the community Glorious Artist

Level 25
Pff.. Bernkastel.

Die Burncastle!!!

UserReasonPosition
Sin'dorei300One of the best moderators I ever seen. He got nice icons and great moderating skills.Glorious Artist
Pharaoh_He was a great help on this site, he moderates things which is needed to be moderated, since it's his job as a GLOBAL moderator. He also tries to fix some problems which seems to be useful for us. And that avatar FTW!Community's Excellence

Status
Not open for further replies.