• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Introducing: Resource Reviewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
resource-reviewers.jpg

Happy news, people!

We are now introducing Resource Reviewers to speed up the approval process in our resource sections.

Resource Reviewers

The Hive Workshop Resource Reviewers

A gated resource submission system has many perks: a higher rate of working assets for the end user, professional reviews and ratings, ect.

But one of the biggest drawbacks is the time it takes to have your resource reviewed and approved, and the amount of pressure this puts on the users employed to help keep the gates.

That's why we are now introducing a new position: Resource Reviewers.

What are Reviewers?

The Hive Workshop's resource reviewers are users who have distinguished themselves in one or many field(s) of expertise, and have shown to give consistently reliable input on the uploaded content this/these field(s) contain(s).

Reviewers have been trusted by the administration to help the appointed moderators moderate the flow of resource submissions, i.e. they are granted powers to approve, rate, and reject resource submissions.

While reviewers have the power/permission to moderate resources, they are different from the appointed moderators in many ways:
  • They are not granted access to the posts and threads of other users for e.g. deleting, merging, moving, and splitting.
  • They are not granted access to the Staff Contact forum, and will not deal with complaints concerning ratings or rejection.
  • The appointed moderator(s) may, at their own discretion, overrule the ruling of a reviewer.
  • They are not equipped with penal powers, e.g. neg rep and infraction points, and are not in any way responsible for or permitted to enforce the site rules.

How do I identify who is a Reviewer?

Resource reviewers can be identified from the title shown under their avatar, similar to that of staff members.

The title will be in the form <field> Reviewer, where <field> is replaced by whichever domain of resources they have permission to moderate, i.e. Map Reviewer, Model Reviewer, ect.

Is the review of a Reviewer different than that of a Moderator?

No. The decision of a designated reviewer is just as final as the decision of a designated moderator. The administration would not trust people with powers if we didn't think they could handle them responsibly.

Just like before you may appeal any moderation in Staff/Admin Contact, but we will not treat a reviewer's decision any different than we would if you appealed a moderator's judgement.

How do I become a Reviewer?

By rule of thumb, we ask you and not the other way around.

You are welcome to post a thread in Staff/Admin Contact if you want to be considered for the position, but generally we have a good eye on the community and who would be suited for it.

It is therefore likely that, if we haven't asked you before, we wouldn't go through with the promotion.

Without further ado, please welcome the first batch of reviewers to the team.
  • GhostThruster (Icons)
  • ~Nightmare (Skins)
  • Fingolfin (3D Modeling)
  • HappyCockroach (3D Modeling)
  • Kam (Maps)
  • Tank-Commander (Spells)
  • edo494 (Jass)
We will most likely expand over time, if everything goes well.

Regards,
The Hive Workshop Staff

Roland

R

Roland

This is why this site is the glorious place to learn the epic ways in map making.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
What makes Resource Reviewers a better alternative to more moderators?
Moderators have certain powers & capabilities that Administrators are (rightly) afraid of giving out so rapidly, haphazardly, and en-masse-ly as this... Creating a sort of "sub-moderator" class allows them to spread the pain of reviewing without unnecessary spreading of authority & all the training & whatnot.

What makes Resource Reviewers a better alternative to more moderators?
I think THW doesn't require that many forum moderators. Having to hire a moderator because "we need more people reviewing resources", makes it harder to get rid of the pending resources, since every reviewer would need not only the reviewing capability, but the community skills required to moderate the forum. I think it was a good idea to split those two tasks as not necessarily together.

I myself, while still getting used to it, am quite comfortable reviewing models, but don't know if I would feel the same about moderating threads, flame wars, and whatnot... :v

I would not say that. Having knowledge in a certain field is surely something a moderator needs,
but it does not mean at all that someone who is not a moderator has necessarily less knowledge.

I would say that you need pretty much the same level of expretise to match the "knowledge" requirement
for a moderator as for a reviewer - but of course there are also some other factors that metter.

And there are not too few users that easily have the same or even more knowledge than some reviewers or moderators. :)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Expertise. What I mean is a moderator has more knowledge.
Not at all. There are more factors to what makes a moderator than knowledge. Availability, willingness to work voluntarily, willingness to get involved in site politics, ability to adequately enforce the site rules, etc. People can basically be very knowledgeable without fitting any of those categories. Bottom line, we trust the review of a reviewer as much as we trust the review of a modertor. We wouldn't hire them if we didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.