• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hosted Project: Dwarven Monster Slayers Goes Indie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
194715-albums6441-picture101020.png

194715-albums6441-picture101017.jpg

The Warcraft III Hosted Project: The Dwarven Monster Slayers is currently in development for a standalone indie game! :ogre_datass:

194715-albums6441-picture101025.png
194715-albums6441-picture101024.png
WHAT IS DWARVEN MONSTER SLAYERS?
194715-albums6441-picture101022.jpg

Made by the user MoCo as a Warcraft III Map on Jan 2014, THE DWARVEN MONSTER SLAYERS is a fast paced 1-5 player coop survival RPG slasher game.
The game features tactical teamplay, a massive load of monsters, a detailed and atmospheric dungeon scenario, a considerably amount of gore, and for the best: DWARVES!

In this map, players work as a team to defend the halls of dwarves against various waves of monsters like undead cave trolls, savage werefuls and mighty demons. The monsters are spawned from portals, appearing at random locations so players may need to strategically re-adjust their battle tactics to acquire a good defense position. During the game progress, new areas in the dungeon are unlocked for the team to explore. The game is divided into 3 chapters, each having an individual theme and each finished with challenging boss encounters. Moreover, there is a little storyline that is told in some cut scenes. The heroes are carefully designed, each with its own strengths and weaknesses, each different to play. The damage and item system is very similiar to Aeon of War, which enables a flawless level scaling as the power of spells/abilities infinitely scales with the heroes attributes. Alongside the battles, there are many little things and secrets to discover. There are also tons of different items and a save/load system enables players to save and improve their equipment for later game sessions. With higher levels, they will be able to face higher difficulties, rewarding them with better loot and new enemiews. The look and feel of this map is characterized by a careful choice of high quality custom art from the wc3 community.

194715-albums4513-picture65137.gif
Download Original Map
194715-albums4513-picture65136.gif
Hosted Project Forums
As the said Warcraft III map will be then converted into a standalone indie game, although the game is currently in development. The user Moco stated there will be a incoming teaser video that will be posted in some time.

"While I love creating maps and mods, my greater vision is developing full standalone video games. Thus, I am very happy to let you know that I have recently started to develop Dwarven Monster Slayers as a standalone indie game using the Unity 5 engine. In contrast to the Warcraft III version, the standalone version will be an FPS game and not a top down dungeon crawler any more. More information can be found on the official game website."

"In the near future, I plan to release a video teaser and go for Kickstarter (hopefully at the end of this year). Steam Greenlight might be an option as well after the game has reached a stable and playable state. Please check back from time to time and do not forget to spread the word. Any support is much appreciated."

All the best,
moco

When is this game released?
"The game is still in an early stage of development so a reliable release date cannot be given yet. However, I consider using Steams Early Access which may speed things up a bit."

Who is developing this game?
"Currently, the game is being developed only by me, moco. I am a passionate indie video game designer doing this in my free time. You find some information about my former projects on my personal website www.moco2k.de.
If the project is a success, I would love to build up a small development team in order to provide more content, speed up the development process and just bring this game on a level of quality as high as possible."

For which platforms is this game released?
"Planned target platforms include Windows, Mac and Linux."

Which engine is this based on?
"The game is built with Unity 5."

Do you plan to use Kickstarter?
"Yes. I am just a single guy and won’t be able to create all the contents I have in mind on my own. Therefore, crowdfunding is a perfect option to realize the greater vision behind this game."

For now, here are some images based on the indie game:

194715-albums6441-picture101027.jpg

194715-albums6441-picture101028.jpg

194715-albums6441-picture101030.jpg

194715-albums6441-picture101031.jpg

194715-albums6441-picture101033.png
194715-albums6441-picture101034.png

194715-albums6441-picture101035.png

You can check out the site for incoming updates and more information about the game through here: LINK

Level 28
Wow. Its nice to see a successful map make its way as a standalone game. Its just a shame that you're leaving the isometric camera and switching to First Person. I just don't know why people prefer it when its much more fun to play ARPG on top-down camera. But hey, that's just my preference since I love games where I can see the area around me and strategize from the top like the Secret of Mana series, many more snes arpg, Bastion etc.

This will still be a multiplayer game right? I really hope so.

Level 13
Hey guys, here are some quick answers to your questions:

- The game is not supposed to run on mobile. Note that it is an FPS. It won't technically fit on mobile, performance/graphic-wise and control-wise. Same reasons why games like Call of Duty or Borderlands would not make any sense on mobile.

- There is a story and missions are linked in a logical order. You won't have access to higher levels before finishing lower ones so there is some kind of a campaign. Like in games like Borderlands, you can experience the campaign/story in both singleplayer and multiplayer (coop). However, the focus of the game is set on action and multiplayer gameplay. I don't know if I will add any quests for the initial version. Maybe later, depending on kickstarter success. If I can manage to expand the team, I could easily add a lot of more content, like quests, SP missions and such.

- While the core game is FPS, I'm planning to add some type of 3rd-person character control as well so that people who don't like FPS (I think there are some) can view and control their characters from an external view as well.

Last edited:
Level 19
This is awesome news to hear. I've always loved that map and played it frequently with friends. I'll be sure to tell them.

Just take note that since your game is based on combat means that the combat should be great, which is extremely difficult to do in a first person or even a third person viewpoint. However, as long as you got the animations/feedback down to an art I think you could do well in first/third-person view. Check out Dark Messiah or even Mount & Blade, I think the two game's combat combat of those two games has everything you are looking for (especially with Dark Messiah).

Also guys, do spread the word outside of the website. It would be nice to see a full game built from this community.

Level 13
Thanks for your feedback Drunken_Jackal. I guess I know what you want to say. I've also played Dark Messiah myself and enjoyed its dynamic combat system a lot. So yeah, the combat system will be one of the most important aspects in my game so I will try to make it as good and fluid as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.