• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard Cancels Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been over 7 years since word of Blizzard's secret "Titan" project first began to cultivate. Very little information was given to us, and last year, the team decided to "reset" Titan from scratch. It is known that it was supposed to be a new MMO, but the theme was never revealed.

2 days ago, Titan was officially canceled:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4343-Blizzard-Cancels-Titan-Project

With Heroes of the Storm getting out of alpha soon, perhaps Blizzard wanted to focus their attention elsewhere.

Some may consider this a sad day, but look on the bright side: we knew so little about it, there is almost no reason to feel bad. And maybe it'll give Blizzard time to focus on their existing franchises (*cough* Warcraft 4 *cough*).

Kotaku has posted some information on what Titan was supposed to be (based on anonymous sources), but remember that this isn't official!
http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

Level 34
Well there goes 7 years of development. I laughed when I heard the news.

Heathstone is the only great game that Blizzard has made since WoW, in my opinion, and calling it great is a stretch. I've pretty much lost faith in them. HotS looks pretty mediocre and now this. How far they've fallen.

Level 23
Well, at least they didn't invest the entire 7 years on it. If they actually cancelled it, they must have really not been happy with supporting it, or they must have had really slow progress--especially since they scrapped their entire progress a year ago. I think it is for the better.

they didnt care when they were making diablo 3 tho(11 years of development, and I know it was on and off, but still)

Level 34
Who knows, maybe this means that Blizzard will finally be changing its long-development method and make games in a shorter period.
Hopefully. Taking 10 years (or w/e it was) to make D3 was unacceptable for what we got. It was a pretty mediocre game at best. Also with the time it takes them to produce games, the graphics suck by the time they come out (both D3 and SC2 were way behind when they were released).

Reminds me of Starcraft: Ghost :nw:
Also this. The fact that this isn't the first time (Ghost was worse as they had released gameplay and had a website) makes it worse.

Level 17
Well there goes 7 years of development. I laughed when I heard the news.

Heathstone is the only great game that Blizzard has made since WoW, in my opinion, and calling it great is a stretch. I've pretty much lost faith in them. HotS looks pretty mediocre and now this. How far they've fallen.

their games are dog shit now, its like theyve forgotten how to make good games or never understood it at all, i guess reign of chaos and wow (up to wotlk) where just a lucky streak which ended very quickly

Level 18
Yeah. If they only have the eyes like Valve has. Lesser amount of time would be needed and voila! Blizzard DotA 2 should've been made. The most played Steam game is DotA 2 just to say.

Blizzard employees have actually come out and stated multiple times to be please not be compared to with Valve. They've stated that Valve has a crap-ton more money, and employees (therefore time) available than they do, and are trying their hardest.

Not to mention internally, the two companies are very different. Exclusively, one is merged by Activision.

They have also come out and stated that Titan's tech has been put into WoW over the years, such as the graphics advancements (textures being a big part of it) and better optimization. If you don't think WoW is near perfectly optimized as an MMO, you're probably stupid (/endmedivh).

Seriously though, and I've made this point before elsewhere, that Blizzard needs new IP. As much as I love the Sc/D/Wc universes, I'm gunna get bored.

StarCraft is included in HotS and SC2, WarCraft is Hearthstone, Hots and WoW, and D3 is HotS and D3 obviously.

Titan was going to be exclusively different. And I'm pretty sure there's going to be a new IP announcement at BlizzCon alongside LotV's announcement (have you SEEN how much SC2 stuff is on schedule as well as the Ticket Rewards?) as well as Heroes of the Storm's "Open ____" announcement. Dunno if they'll keep calling it Alpha when it's more polished than most Beta's now-a-days.

Also, nice necro.

Level 34
Blizzard employees have actually come out and stated multiple times to be please not be compared to with Valve. They've stated that Valve has a crap-ton more money, and employees (therefore time) available than they do, and are trying their hardest.
So? They have more money now than they did when they made all their amazing old games. They just don't make amazing games anymore. Vavle (while they have their own issues) makes better games than Blizzard now. I don't care who has more money. Small companies can make amazing stuff (Divinity: Original Sin).

Also, source? I'm not convinced that Blizzard makes less than Vavle. Blizzard is so fucking greedy.

They have also come out and stated that Titan's tech has been put into WoW over the years, such as the graphics advancements (textures being a big part of it) and better optimization.
WoW looks like shit now. Even with the texture update it doesn't pass as a modern game. Especially things like animations. How they still charge $15... I dunno.

Level 18
So? They have more money now than they did when they made all their amazing old games. They just don't make amazing games anymore. Vavle (while they have their own issues) makes better games than Blizzard now. I don't care who has more money. Small companies can make amazing stuff (Divinity: Original Sin).

Also, source? I'm not convinced that Blizzard makes less than Vavle. Blizzard is so fucking greedy.

WoW looks like shit now. Even with the texture update it doesn't pass as a modern game. Especially things like animations. How they still charge $15... I dunno.

As a WoW modder I can tell you that WoW's textures are very well made and perfect for the style that it's attempting to accomplish.

What has Valve been doing?

So you have Half Life, which was just "another" quake except it had exceptional storytelling, as well as Engine development for HL2, but they haven't touched that ball in a while.

You have TFC, which was another quake shooter, and TF2 which has, sure, revolutionized shooters back into a class system and a microtransaction system. It was sort-of successful. It's not competitive enough as it could be because of:

Counterstrike, which was a test at first iirc. Just another shooter for the times of Halo, early CoDs, Quake, Unreal, etc. And the newer games are literally the same thing just in a new engine.. and you can aim with certain guns.

Left 4 Dead, which rode on the team aspect of the zombie craze, except that team is gone and making Evolve, so you can't argue that L4D3 will be decent yet aside from it being in Source 2.

Portal, not even their own idea nor was it their game originally. So I don't give them credit even though I love the game.

DotA 2, which is literally because of Blizzard. Not their game, just they made a MOBA in Source 2, grats.

Okay so their current roster is;
CS:GO. a sequel of the past.. 3 games? Pretty much the same thing.
DotA 2, not even their game, but still a sequel.
TF2, also a sequel with nothing much past the monetizing system.
And L4D3, which is a sequel again without the original team.

The thing that's good about Valve is that they have a variety of IP that sequels are okay. But my point to many companies, looking at you iW, Blizzard, Valve, etc. Is to stop with sequels/spinoffs unless you have a really good reason to make one. By not creating new ideas you create a stagnant feeling with players. Sure I may be hitting this wall sooner than others, but I'm not having fun with Jaina Proudmoore anymore, be it Hearthstone or WoW or whatever, I've known the character for 10+ and seen her grow, but I'm an adult and want games to grow, not to be nostalgic.

Valve is good because they try not to milk things, they make sequels because of demand, or because they feel like a story is unfinished, or because the games are outdated. But they also know when to hold back the leash and wait for the proper times. But Valve is a company. They make money. They make ALOT of money through Steam. If you think that Valve has less money than Blizzard, I don't know what numbers you're looking at.

Take into account all server expenses from Vanilla day 1 to now. Sure it's way cheaper now, and they have a more positive income (especially after Hearthstone, HotS, etc), but Valve didn't require a button of MMO servers to spend millions/billions of dollars to keep them out of constant maintenance. There are countless times where Mike Morheim stated that they barely made it by with most of their games, and that they were barely digging dirt. They had passion because they wanted to do what they loved and make money. They have money sure, but they know they'll continue making money out of the same games constantly, Valve is different because they have a store. If Valve didn't rely off steam's income, they'd be in the same pot as Blizzard.

Blizzard doesn't make as good games because they cant afford such a huge office of employers to just (literally) wheel around and change projects, give up projects, and add projects on a whim (src. Valve's Employee HB). When Blizzard sits down, they're on that project for months or years and are dedicated to it. The technology they have will extend to their other games. Tech from SC2? went into D3 and obviously went into HotS. Tech from Titan? Into WoW.

Why are Blizzard games good, though? They're good because they cater to all audiences and give a good experience for what their worth. $15/mo for WoW isn't much when you have a stable income. 75% of the people (assumption) who complain about that pay is because they have no income. Are those same people aware that many of us who've played WoW had that income from allowance as a child, as we played when we were in middle, high school? Some of them College, with internships and scholarships on the line. Many people are looking at games like TERA, or ToR that went F2P. Why did they go F2P? Because they had faults. They weren't well optimized, or they delivered false promises, or any other number of reasons. Another reason? People expect WoW, but better. The problem is, they don't feel like the changes on WoW are good, so they leave, and realize that WoW is the best MMO that could be played across all computers, have an indepth story (even if I dislike it), a huge community, constant updates and reliably good content.

If I agree with you in any way, it's that their storytelling has gone to crap, and that it's facing the concept of "Lucas"ism, Chris Metzen specifically has been pulling George Lucases in their storylines and it's not resting well with many fans who enjoy(ed) the lore.

The games themselves are solid, they work, they do what they're promised, but their problems are that they're the same thing from 10 years ago.

Recalling back to my previous note, small companies make great games because they don't have money and have passion. Blizzard isn't a small company anymore, and doesn't have that much money (they do, but not much compared to others), nor passion to create new things. They've fallen into a trap that believes that people are nostalgic, and they are respectively, but they haven't learned from watching Activision and EA's developers that it's not going to last that long.

TLDR: Blizzard makes good games when they're new. But they're bad at re-doing old things, is what I'm trying to pull here. I don't like Blizzard's new plans but I disagree that they're "Bad" at games. Feels like I was jumping between the fence a few times.

Level 34
Ok since you wouldn't provide sources to show that Valve makes more money I looked it up. Valve won't release their revenue information, so this is the best I could come up with.

Vavle 2011: http://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverchiang/2011/02/15/valve-and-steam-worth-billions/

Blizzard 2012: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...zzard-closes-2012-with-record-USD4-86-billion

Blizzard doesn't make as good games because they cant afford such a huge office of employers to just (literally) wheel around and change projects, give up projects, and add projects on a whim (src. Valve's Employee HB).

Blizzard isn't a small company anymore, and doesn't have that much money (they do, but not much compared to others)
I'm calling bullshit. That's just completely not true.

Also you can't "src." without directions or a link. Where exactly in the HB?
Edit: Found it regardless. Interesting business model. It seems to work, but your reason Blizzard can't do it is still not true.

I disagree that they're "Bad" at games.
Don't use quotations around words that were never said. I never once said Blizzard made bad games. The two times I mentioned the quality of Blizzard games, I said "mediocre at best", and "not amazing". A far reach from "bad".

I own SC2 and D3. I enjoyed both. They were decent games. I do think, which is what I've been saying all along, that Blizzard is not the company that it once was (which you seem to agree with). our opinions are closer than you seem to think. We just disagree with how bad or what is bad about Blizzard games now.

Level 24
there has been no interest from blizzard regarding warctaft 3 for 3 years, I dont think this will change in pretty much any way, shape or form

I doubt that's true, I think they'll put it on their battle.net app and update it so it works for the newest Operative Systems to sell more copies other than that though I don't think we'll see anything.

Level 18
I doubt that's true, I think they'll put it on their battle.net app and update it so it works for the newest Operative Systems to sell more copies other than that though I don't think we'll see anything.

They stated that they had at least 3-4 expansions still planned at the time of WoD's announcement iirc. So that's at least 8 years of content.

Level 17
They stated that they had at least 3-4 expansions still planned at the time of WoD's announcement iirc. So that's at least 8 years of content.

of course they do lol i could not image why ANYONE would miss out on the opportunity to continue making money out of millions of (mostly) utter imbeciles... pretty soon we will probably start seeing $200 mounts and real world transaction systems where blizzard taxes everything

Level 24

Maybe you should stop to read what post I replied to before rsplying we were speaking of wc3 not wow. Wow was never even mentioned.

Level 24
Maybe you should understand that WoW and WarCraft's RTS are related and that with the continuation of one the other will not exist.

Continuation... what are you talking about, I said that they would probably put WarCraft III on their battle.net app. They've even included some warcraft III images and at BlizzCon 2013 they mentioned that people were working to add WarCraft III to their app.

Level 18
Continuation... what are you talking about, I said that they would probably put WarCraft III on their battle.net app. They've even included some warcraft III images and at BlizzCon 2013 they mentioned that people were working to add WarCraft III to their app.

other than that though I don't think we'll see anything

I'm agreeing with you saying that there won't be anything to be expected due to focus on WoW.

Level 24
SO you think Blizzard added the images and had Chris Metzen say people were working on it just to bs us? Seems a little far fetched in my opinion.

Level 24
You are correct and as I said at most I think we might see Blizzard putting in efforts to make it work for Windows 8 as that could potentially sell more copies.

Level 20
I have been waiting so much for the WarCraft 4.I Would offer even my soul for it.I Grew up whith this game,I have played it for 10 years and still keep on playing it.It would bring me tears of joy to watch blizzard to make this franchise continue :')

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

^If they release Warcraft 4 right now, what would it offer you? Maybe Warcraft 3 with better engine, gameplay, graphics, editor, popularity etc. Downside is, RTS is dying genre, it's good Blizzard has realized it and they're focusing on FPS, MOBA, MMORPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.