• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using spirit link to detect the instant a unit is damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
So, I've been mulling over the proposals for detecting the instant a unit loses HP from an attack. With spirit link, it is possible to detect the damage being applied if an isolated link unit recieves damage.

Value of duration set to -1.00
Value of damage distribution at -1.00

Spirit link target's damage event fires first, then that of the caster.

Problems:

- I can't remove the buff art from spirit link even with object editor values set to null on all art and buff set to null.

- Thanks to brilliant game design, spirit link will spread the damage amongst four units of the same caster, even if the link was applied separately for each. This means that each unit needs its own spirit walker, which is unfair.

- I don't think casting spirit link during the damage event will work, either, as it probably only recognizes any following damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.