• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Adding abilities through tome exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I found this as well and the reason why this exploit seems to work is that when the unit buys an item, it gets added the abilities, but hasn't yet run the acquired event. So if you remove the item at that point, it has the abilities, but will not be able to lose them by losing the item(because it doesn't exist). At that point, the only way to lose the ability is by using UnitRemoveAbility.

EDIT: Checked the map and you seem to be using a different trick.

@Xonok: Your trick sounds interesting still, didn't know that item glitch/hack method added castable abilities too. Though yeah, no buying involved at all here. =)

@WaterKnight: Woops, well easy enough to scroll down one anyways. Still works, briefly eh...
Try checking the map out again and scroll down or add a tome with a -1 duration buff ability/vamp potion.

Level 21
In theory your approach might make the implications of mine usable. I wonder what exactly happens when a tome is picked up? Some stat bonuses certainly can and do remain, so the question is whether they are given by the ability(with the ability never being removed) or if they are added once upon adding the ability and then not possible to remove.

In theory your approach might make the implications of mine usable. I wonder what exactly happens when a tome is picked up? Some stat bonuses certainly can and do remain, so the question is whether they are given by the ability(with the ability never being removed) or if they are added once upon adding the ability and then not possible to remove.

Well your approach encouraged me to release this. :grin:

Level 12
Dat-C3, as WaterKnight said you add Vampiric Aura, not Vampiric Potion. As the aura is added and removed it just last for the aura removal delay time.

If you would add Vampiric Potion with the rune it would work perfectly fine.

Dat-C3, as WaterKnight said you add Vampiric Aura, not Vampiric Potion. As the aura is added and removed it just last for the aura removal delay time.

If you would add Vampiric Potion with the rune it would work perfectly fine.

So you can't click and scroll down one?

Edit: There updated it and as well added unholy frenzy to test.
Edit2: You guys do realize this removes the need of most buffing/effect dummy casters right? Just wondering if anyone noticed how amazing this is.

Last edited:
How is this better than using dummy casters?

Faster in some cases, though dummy casters are still required because this doesn't work for everything. It fails on cripple and aura's so far. This could just be an alternative for some buffs/effects because its faster unless of course you don't clean up items/power-ups.

Level 26
Units give you a lot more options. For the item to be activated, it requires the unit to possess an appropriate inventory. The dummy unit variant forces you to consider the unit and some events, the item variant forces you to consider the item and some other events. I do not see how items are faster per se. There may be some cases where it's more effective to use the item but not an advantage yet that makes up for the complication. As you said, it is not a holistic solution anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.