• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Terraining in barrens tileset (ideas needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Okay I was making some terrain in my Ch 1 barrens tileset and it got a score of just 1/5 a from a reviewer and 3/5 from the other... Look at the screens :

242951-albums8263-picture99518.png

242951-albums8263-picture99547.png

What I need :

1. Ideas for the terrain (Barrens tileset)
2. Some links to custom doodads (Barrens)
3. Anything else you can help me with....

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Demon_Slayer

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

On the second one, those orange and gray tiles look out of place

So where do you think they should be ?

Level 31
I played the map and terrain was decent warcraftish style. It is based on standard Wc3 terrain, it does have all kinds of trash around the area, and it brings enough detail. Surely terrain is not special, it looks old school, basic Wc3 style. I see nothing bad about it, I have seen many worse examples who couldn't even make Wc3 standard terrain. This project I believe did well for the standards of Wc3. It deserves 3/5, but surely not 1/5. I wonder what rating deserves even worse examples then, negatives perhaps?

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Thanks All of you....

How do I fill blank parts of the terrain without cliffing them ?

Like a barrens themed forestal looks...

Some screenshots for inspiration please...?

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
You could check out my barrens maps (even though I made them while I was still very unskilled).

Tile usage is one of the most important things in Barrens tile set (in the screenies I saw some custom tiles? Why?)

Objects that require pathing: totems/large rubble/craters/fences/large rocks/trees
Notes - craters and large stones can also use customised pathing (allow units to walk on them)

Objects that do not require pathing: small rubble/small/rocks/small/craters/geysers/bones/corpses/small bushes/small cactuses/dry grass/braziers/torches/thorny vines
Notes - You can also make large geysers that require pathing with cool effects.
Notes - Make sure the bones on the ground do not clip the ground too disturbingly.
Notes - Color the bushes the way you want (use Ashvenvale/Felwood bushes) and size them the way you want.
Notes - For dry grass find a custom model or use River Rushes model and colour it.
Notes - Scale down Viny Thorns a lot to make them look like dried out roots.

Objects that can be easily modified in editor: totems/large rubble/fences/trees/passive buildings
Notes - You can make totems very large to make them stand out. More important is however to make a new doodad of them and roll/pitch them so they look angled/fallen. If you make the totems lay on the ground they do not require pathing yet give nice expression.
Notes - Using large rubble can be hard but if you lower it beneath the ground you can make only the very top of it show, making it look like ancient ruins that has been overrun by nature and covered in sand, this neither, requires pathing but gives nice feeling.
Notes - Fences, especially the wooden onces can be used well, pitch and roll them and remove the pathing from them and add it later on, if required. Fallen/angled fences makes the area feel more insecure and risky.
Notes - Trees can be used in various ways. You can use canopy(or why not normal) trees and scale them down and lower them under the ground so only the leaves show, this makes them look like a flora on the ground. Another way to make bushes here. Always remember (if not melee map) to add variation of tree that is fallen and a variation that is almost fallen (angled) and place them here and there (not too much). This fits very well in the dry, sand-filled ground of Barrens. Remember to add pathing later if required.
Notes - Make doodads and use models of neutral passive buildings (Wildkin/harpy nests etc) and scale them the size you want. Make them have no pathing and place them (on top of hills/rocks where player can't reach). They give feeling that the area is inhabited (or was) but the cruel environment has driven the creatures elsewhere (fits very well to Barrens).

Hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.