• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Arena] Random Micro armies (map idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi,

i'd like to play a random arena map where you control not only one unit but a pack of units (like 3-8)

Would be pretty fun.

Btw i don't know if it would take me long to make this map when i have 0 knowledge about the worldeditor...
Can you tell me if it'd be long ?

Otherwise here is the idea :

- each unit has a cost and each player gets 30 points (this is not shown ingame)
- each unit has inventory slots (maybe only 2-3)
- random items spawning on units death
- at the start of the round each player is granted a random number of units. If you add all the cost of those units it can't be more than 30.
So you can have 2 big units, 1 big unit + 5 mini units, or lot of mini units, it's totally random
- every minute player who lost any unit get the same amount of point lost back in units (lol hope you understand) So if you lost 0 units, you get 0 units
if you lost 2 units which costed 20 pts, you get back 20 pts in units (maybe 3 units, maybe 1 etc....)
- needs to tweak the numbers (of points) :p
- every unit killed gives like 1 point for small unit, 2 for medium, 3 for strong units and 4 for imbalanced units (but i think the units found in multiplayer melee maps should be enough, creeps included)
- at start Red can choose to allow imbalanced units and the amount of points for each players

- another mode could be : you get one random unit, then every 1 min 30 you get another unit, also every 6 min you get a hero

and finally another mode :

- same as the first one but when you start, one of your unit has a special item like a flag, you can give it to any unit you control. To score points you need to kill the flag carrier of the others players and pick up the item (or just kill the carrier) otherwise you get 0 pts by killing units.
When your flag has been picked up, your units start to die slowly and then you get new units after they're all dead.

EDIT : I wrote this in order to get someone interested to make the map :p then PM me if you want more ideas or PM me so i can play the map !!!!
Maybe i'll make it by myself one day but i dunno how much time it would take...

Last edited:
Level 21
Well, one thing is for certain - Certain combinations of units will work much better than others, so you need a mechanic that would remove the advantage of having too good sets of units.
The first way I can think of is randomizing the units each round, removing previous ones. Although it would be more interesting to get to keep anything that doesn't get killed.

Level 22
Sounds like a squad based tactical map, here are my suggestions:

- Specialized units, melee tanks(meat shields not armored assault vehicles) , ranged damagers, support and offense caster, carriers (a wagon perhaps;for monster drops or anything your main units can't bring).
- It would be enjoyable if across the map there are waypoints(not telepods, more of a supply depot) that players should aim to reach and restock or get additional troops or bonus.
- Random missions like protect the peasants until they can escape to point x and others.
- Vehicles you can ride, like steam tanks that would need at least x units of x specialty to drive.
Good luck.

Level 9
Well, one thing is for certain - Certain combinations of units will work much better than others, so you need a mechanic that would remove the advantage of having too good sets of units.
The first way I can think of is randomizing the units each round, removing previous ones. Although it would be more interesting to get to keep anything that doesn't get killed.

Yes some combinations will work much better but that's how random arena work most of the time

You can ask others players to team up and destroy the guy !!

I don't think it's possible to balance this kind of game lol

And chobibo, those are things to add when a map is already here :x

Maybe i wasn't clear enough, but I dunno how to make a wc3 map and so i put these ideas here if someone wanna make a map with it ! (and PM me so i can play it xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.